Roush rattle - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-04-2016, 05:01 PM   #1

Region: Utah
Roush rattle

Hey guys new person here! I checked a few other threads and didn't see my question answered so here goes..

I got my Roush axelbacks installed about 3 months ago and everything was fine and now for about a month I hear this metal on metal scraping sound.

I took it back to the dealership who installed it and they said everything looked good and had enough clearance and everything was tight.

Now the sound is back again and didn't really go away. Basically it only makes that scraping sound after I've driven for 30 mins or so and she's warmed up. Doesn't happen any other time and didn't happen with my stock exhaust.

Any ideas?
3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2016, 05:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7 View Post
Hey guys new person here! I checked a few other threads and didn't see my question answered so here goes..

I got my Roush axelbacks installed about 3 months ago and everything was fine and now for about a month I hear this metal on metal scraping sound.

I took it back to the dealership who installed it and they said everything looked good and had enough clearance and everything was tight.

Now the sound is back again and didn't really go away. Basically it only makes that scraping sound after I've driven for 30 mins or so and she's warmed up. Doesn't happen any other time and didn't happen with my stock exhaust.

Any ideas?
Get the dealer to test drive it at a time when it typically happens, so they can hear it too.
(Don't shut it off when you bring it there.)
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Can't remember if I saw it here or on another forum. Mustanger bought a used 3.7 and was under car to do something else and found that axle backs and over axle were installed so that the over axle was rubbing on the axle. He showed a picture of the damage it had done to the axle. Made a pretty good notch in the axle.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2016, 06:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
Can't remember if I saw it here or on another forum. Mustanger bought a used 3.7 and was under car to do something else and found that axle backs and over axle were installed so that the over axle was rubbing on the axle. He showed a picture of the damage it had done to the axle. Made a pretty good notch in the axle.
Strange thing is that it only happens to me when it's warmed up and I've been driving it for abit and it doesn't always happen. Very odd
Old 01-04-2016, 08:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7 View Post
Strange thing is that it only happens to me when it's warmed up and I've been driving it for abit and it doesn't always happen. Very odd
The only other thing that enters my mind is to try to get a look at things when it does happen. I know that might be pretty hard to do.
Or even look for spots(metal to metal) that appear very close to each other that may come in contact when heated up or possibly when on rough roads, etc.
In other words, potential spots.
If it happens like weekly, or so, have dealer look more closely for potential culprits.

We wouldn't want anything like what oxfordwhite said happen.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
The only other thing that enters my mind is to try to get a look at things when it does happen. I know that might be pretty hard to do.
Or even look for spots(metal to metal) that appear very close to each other that may come in contact when heated up or possibly when on rough roads, etc.
In other words, potential spots.
If it happens like weekly, or so, have dealer look more closely for potential culprits.

We wouldn't want anything like what oxfordwhite said happen.
Yeah from all the other mustang forums I've checked out everyone seems to say get your hangars checked and make sure everything is really tight, pretty obvious but just strange it happens lol

I thought about going to a different dealer for a second opinion but that'll cost me..
Old 01-06-2016, 11:18 AM   #7
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I'm assuming you do NOT have to be moving.....if so jack it up if you have to (JACKSTANDS!) and listen with a piece of hose used as a stethoscope to try and find it. Sometimes you need to help your mechanic out.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:50 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Probably the hangers rubbing against the hanger bracket.

Marc
Marc3.71994 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang