Thoughts on MPT's new Ghost Cam? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-06-2016, 03:22 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Not worth putting the larger cams into 3.7 unless you're going to do a full and complete engine build

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

Mpt also claims that their new ghost cam tune is completely safe for people with catalytic converters. Its catalytic converter friendly

Yes they do claim this but I can tell you from personal experience it trashed a friend of mine. Now he did use the tune as a dd and I'm sure it's not meant to be. But if it's as they call is cat converter friendly. Than you have to ask yourself why they say no to idle to long? I mean if it's ok for the cats than why would idle time even matter? In my eyes it's just as bad for them as before until they prove that it's not.
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2016, 03:29 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
Yes they do claim this but I can tell you from personal experience it trashed a friend of mine. Now he did use the tune as a dd and I'm sure it's not meant to be. But if it's as they call is cat converter friendly. Than you have to ask yourself why they say no to idle to long? I mean if it's ok for the cats than why would idle time even matter? In my eyes it's just as bad for them as before until they prove that it's not.
Why would running a Ghost Cam tune trash your buddies vehicle? Did he have his cats on? MPT's is meant to be a daily every day tune.

2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:51 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

It trashed the cats. The cars fine but we had to replace the cats on his. This was within the last few months. So it was there new ghost tune as well. It might be safer on the cats but in my eyes it's still not a daily driver tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2016, 03:57 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Video Ready I hope

Hello, I think the video that I tried unsuccessfully to download earlier this morning is ready. Sound clip from 3.7 with MPT Ghost cam idle.

And by the way please go to the 2015 Mustang of the year, thread and place a vote for OX, Die, Mean, Kevin or me PaPa. Just go vote for some dang body. Thanks
PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:57 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
So I called MPT earlier today and found that the ghost cam revision tune is not an addon to an existing tune you might have with MPT. For instance I have a manual 14' 3.7 with a 93 octane tune as my daily driver tune. If I want to get the ghost cam tune, you would have to swap out a current tune to have the Ghost cam + 93 tune together; the ghost cam is dependent on a standard drive tune, won't be an addition. Ken did mention to me on the phone if you purchased the SCT tuner from MPT directly there is a discount to the $125 tune but he wasn't sure what the discount would be...

As far as trashing the cat's I live in FL and am meaning to move up to a Mac prochamber midpipe when the money comes in so I could care less about the stock cats to be honest... but we all (us 3.7 cyclones) have to understand by getting the ghost cam without extensive exhaust work (headers, maybe x pipe and straight) that it won't sound like this:

Albeit older motor but non TVI; actual cams, this guy has a prochamber midpipe also and LT headers.

Think more along the lines of this (best sounding ghost cammed of our generation I have found that sounds like big cams):

^
kgallowaypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:10 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yep, no lope. That's why you get the Ghost Cam tune from MPT , big old school lope with all the benefits of a regular performance tune.

Bama doesn't offer this tune for 3.7 owners. 5.0's do but not sure about the performance aspect of the tune. I do not know anything about the ghost cam tune from Bama

Does that waste more gas... When you are driving around town/highway?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
bamaboy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:15 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Actually I can run the Mpt 89 performance tune with the ghost idle and can't really tell much difference if I don't push it..Gas milage is still around 27 according to the dash. I guess I need to check it on paper sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 01-06-2016, 05:27 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallowaypa View Post
So I called MPT earlier today and found that the ghost cam revision tune is not an addon to an existing tune you might have with MPT. For instance I have a manual 14' 3.7 with a 93 octane tune as my daily driver tune. If I want to get the ghost cam tune, you would have to swap out a current tune to have the Ghost cam + 93 tune together; the ghost cam is dependent on a standard drive tune, won't be an addition. Ken did mention to me on the phone if you purchased the SCT tuner from MPT directly there is a discount to the $125 tune but he wasn't sure what the discount would be...

As far as trashing the cat's I live in FL and am meaning to move up to a Mac prochamber midpipe when the money comes in so I could care less about the stock cats to be honest... but we all (us 3.7 cyclones) have to understand by getting the ghost cam without extensive exhaust work (headers, maybe x pipe and straight) that it won't sound like this:

Albeit older motor but non TVI; actual cams, this guy has a prochamber midpipe also and LT headers.

Think more along the lines of this (best sounding ghost cammed of our generation I have found that sounds like big cams):

^
So peeps, just to clarify this Ghost Cam tune by MPT is not an add on tune to an already exhisting MPT performance tune. MPT is going to make you an all new performance tune with your choice of shift points (race, street, chill, economy) just like you had before; however they will incorporate that big cam lope effect into it.

This will give you the all in one tune for performance while getting sound like a larger cam was installed. Now granted the tone of the lope and loudness would depend on other work done to you exhaust system. I'm guessing that my car with long tube headers, off road mid pipe and aftermarket axle backs are going to have a much more aggressive lope than say a stock exhaust system with just a Ghost Cam lope tune.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:41 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

That would be correct. The more exhaust work done the better it sounds
Old 01-06-2016, 05:58 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I love all this discussion about the ghost cam! Been involved and reading all the input, I was going to have MPT put my ghost tune on the race shift tune because that's the one I would use for showing off. Now after following this thread I may want to change it to the performance tune so as to be able to use it more. I guess that would still be showing off wouldn't it? Three tunes to choose from, What to do, What to do.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:11 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Go with the race tune. Or just toss in a manual and have more fun. Nothing beats dumping the clutch at 5500rpm and watching people's faces lol.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:32 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I wish I could find a video where someone just had it on roush axle backs or at least the stock exhaust.

Sent from my XT1080 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-06-2016, 06:34 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

I can get you the roush video in a few months lol. My cars in storage for the winter
Old 01-06-2016, 06:37 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

I've heard it on youtube, think it was a 2011 V-6 with stock exhaust. I think the car was white or silver.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:40 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Actually I found one. This is with bbk short headers. Stock cats and mid pipe with roush ab. Idk how to upload this video so just toss me a text and I will send it to you 8108774248
Old 01-06-2016, 06:43 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
I can get you the roush video in a few months lol. My cars in storage for the winter
Same lol

Old 01-06-2016, 06:45 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Well toss me a text if you want the video.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:56 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
I love all this discussion about the ghost cam! Been involved and reading all the input, I was going to have MPT put my ghost tune on the race shift tune because that's the one I would use for showing off. Now after following this thread I may want to change it to the performance tune so as to be able to use it more. I guess that would still be showing off wouldn't it? Three tunes to choose from, What to do, What to do.
My good sir, just to clarify this about MPT tunes. They only make one performance tune and they call it a performance tune. Where the race part comes into play is actually the shift firmness a customer wants. All the tunes are same performance tune but how the car feels and driveability will depend on your choice of shift point firmness.

You will choose either race shifts, street shifts, chill shifts or economy shift points. I personally have the race shifts and its completely sick amazing with MPT can do for us automatic owners. (Like me).

For the manual owners you control the shift points so MPT won't offer shift firmness options. That's only for us automatic whimps. Ha ha ha, JK.

Hope this makes sense to you all. Just trying to help. Great discussion here fellas.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:57 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Has anyone compared MPT's tune to an actual dyno tune to see if there are any differences?

Old 01-06-2016, 07:21 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My Glgood sir, just to clarify this about MPT tunes. They only make one performance tune and they call it a performance tune. Where the race part comes into play is actually the shift firmness a customer wants. All the tunes are same performance tune but how the car feels and driveability will depend on your choice of shift point firmness.

You will choose either race shifts, street shifts, chill shifts or economy shift points. I personally have the race shifts and its completely sick amazing with MPT can do for us automatic owners. (Like me).

For the manual owners you control the shift points so MPT won't offer shift firmness options. That's only for us automatic whimps. Ha ha ha, JK.

Hope this makes sense to you all. Just trying to help. Great discussion here fellas.

Thatsawhatimatalkinabout. Just can't choose which one to have it now.
Probably otta stick with what I first chose.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:46 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
Thatsawhatimatalkinabout. Just can't choose which one to have it now.
Probably otta stick with what I first chose.
The race shifts is where its at bro. They are crazy. The engine braking is sheer mad genius.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:50 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckhammer View Post
Has anyone compared MPT's tune to an actual dyno tune to see if there are any differences?

I have only compared my MPT tune to my other two tunes which are Bama and Steeda. All were 91 octane tunes, with a tank of 93 gas and the dyno was done the same day

Old 01-06-2016, 08:11 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckhammer View Post
I wish I could find a video where someone just had it on roush axle backs or at least the stock exhaust.

I will post my ghost cam when I get it this weekend, I only have a roush AB and stock rest of the exhaust setup.

Quote:
haha made me laugh, but you auto's are beating us in shift speeds and getting better 1/4 times versus us standards..

As another thought, the auto transmissions should pull out their Fuse # 47 every once in a while to get the more quicker shifts, check this thread out for more info on that if your tune seems to become "slow" after grannying the car for a few days

MPT and fuse 47

Straight from bucko:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Fuse 47 resets the "adaptive learning for automatic transmission equipped Mustangs. It does nothing for manual transmissions, as they shift whenever the driver shifts them.

Adaptive learning has to do with the type of driving you do on automatic transmissions (a.k.a. "shift memory"). Over time, the PCM (or ECU) "learns" your driving habits, such as you driving more city stop and go verses highway driving. It sets the shift points to obtain better fuel mileage. The problem can be when you do lots of city stop/go driving, the automatic transmission shifts at a lower speed, so the PCM/ECU remembers this. Then you go and do some 'sprited" driving, and the automatic transmission shifts too soon for your liking.

This fuse/circuit breaker does not affect any tune you have installed; you will not need to re-install your tune (if installed) if this fuse/circuit breaker is removed and installed.

So what some automatic transmission owners do to wake up the automatic transmission shift points is to remove this fuse (actually a 30 amp circuit breaker) for a few minutes, forcing the PCM/ECU to have to re-learn the shift points.

I do not believe there is a tune made that over-rides the fuse 47 symptoms. Even with firmer shifts that a tune may provide for automatic transmissions, the PCM/ECU will still learn the RPM range of your daily driving habits and set them for automatic transmissions.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:06 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

So does the frequency that you might change your tunes have any negative effect on the Ecm over time ?

Old 01-07-2016, 06:10 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Not that any one has proven to my knowledge @papa
Old 01-07-2016, 07:06 AM   #61
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:

^
Save you're cats for trading in or resale...its against Federal law to sell or trade a vehicle that was originally equipped with them to sell or trade without them. When you trade, a dealer makes you sign a paper that states all Federally equipped parts are intact. If they find they are not, you'll get charged for them to be re-installed, as the dealler cannot legally sell the vehicle either; very large fine if caught. Same for selling privately. Even if you and the buyer sign an "as is" clause, you can still be sued afterwards. My son went through this when he sold his 2004 Subaru WRX Sti; the buyer served him papers two weeks after the sale, and he had to either buy the car back, pay to have cats installed, or a 30K fine. He bought the car back.
Just a heads up for anyone...I have no dogs in this race.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:09 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

That happened to your son in Florida? Holy cow and I though this state gave the least shi*** about emissions with respect to cats and suing someone for clausing out a law on emissions
Old 01-07-2016, 07:12 AM   #63
Admin

Supporter
Admin

It was two years ago. He sold it to a guy in Georga who tried to register it for his son; the state he tried to register it in had a visual inspection, and saw that the cats were removed...that started the law suit.
On a good note, he (my son) had sellers remorse, and wanted the car back anyhow...still has it today; I think the cats are still off of it.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:39 AM   #64
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
The 05+ does have VVT tho.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:58 AM   #65
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
That happened to your son in Florida? Holy cow and I though this state gave the least shi*** about emissions with respect to cats and suing someone for clausing out a law on emissions
It's not a state thing, as much as it is Federal; Federal laws supersede any state laws. If a state does not require visual inspections or a "sniff" test, it does not mean you are safe from removal of this stuff.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:00 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Save you're cats for trading in or resale...its against Federal law to sell or trade a vehicle that was originally equipped with them to sell or trade without them. When you trade, a dealer makes you sign a paper that states all Federally equipped parts are intact. If they find they are not, you'll get charged for them to be re-installed, as the dealler cannot legally sell the vehicle either; very large fine if caught. Same for selling privately. Even if you and the buyer sign an "as is" clause, you can still be sued afterwards. My son went through this when he sold his 2004 Subaru WRX Sti; the buyer served him papers two weeks after the sale, and he had to either buy the car back, pay to have cats installed, or a 30K fine. He bought the car back.
Just a heads up for anyone...I have no dogs in this race.
Good tip. Easy enough fix. Just remove the off road mid pipe, purchase a used high flow catted mid pipe and problem solved. The car now has cats

Old 01-07-2016, 08:32 AM   #67
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPa View Post
So does the frequency that you might change your tunes have any negative effect on the Ecm over time ?

the more often you reflash the greater the risk of bricking the ECU just due to statistics.

idk how often it crashes but stuff does happen.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:07 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks, I'll do some more studying on that. I usually change about 2 times a month.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:23 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPa View Post
Ok thanks, I'll do some more studying on that. I usually change about 2 times a month.

I would think the laws of nature the more times that you do something and undo something and then do something and under something and then do something and undo something, you're going to have a higher risk of eventually something going wrong.

Not saying something will go wrong but just a higher risk factor. If I take off my gas cap 52 times a day there's a higher chance of me dropping it on the ground and cracking, then if I do it once a week

Old 01-07-2016, 11:57 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:

Not saying something will go wrong but just a higher risk factor. If I take off my gas cap 52 times a day there's a higher chance of me dropping it on the ground and cracking, then if I do it once a week

If you're going to take off your gas cap 52 times a day, I suggest you attach a string to it in case you drop it.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang