Thoughts on MPT's new Ghost Cam? - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-07-2016, 12:12 PM   #71
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
If you're going to take off your gas cap 52 times a day, I suggest you attach a string to it in case you drop it.
But the 2011 and up Mustangs don't have a gas cap...
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Bucko beat me to the punch.
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:50 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I was trying to comeback to that, but to old and slow. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
But the 2011 and up Mustangs don't have a gas cap...
I got the gas cap 2011 edition.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:19 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
It trashed the cats. The cars fine but we had to replace the cats on his. This was within the last few months. So it was there new ghost tune as well. It might be safer on the cats but in my eyes it's still not a daily driver tune.
I meant to ask you. Why did your buddy run the ghost cam tune from Bama when he had catalytic converters on his car? In order for Bama ghost cam tune to have worked they always told everybody it needed no catalytic converters.

You always needed a cat delete with Bama's Ghost cam tune. They were never cats friendly or designed to run with the cats. With that said why did your buddy go with the ghost cam tune from Bama knowing that you can't use it with catalytic converters?

When did Bama claim their ghost cam tune became catalytic converter friendly? Perhaps Alex from American Musscle can shed some insight into bamas current ghost cam tune and the do's and don'ts

Old 01-07-2016, 08:37 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

You always needed a cat delete with Bama's Ghost cam tune. They were never cats friendly or designed to run with the cats.

Non and non fed. I $uck!
That makes me curious as to MPT's tune method seeing as how they recommended the same for their own in-house ghost cam tune last year and early 2014. I think at the end of the day its just safer to get a different midpipe regardless of what the tuning company is telling you...Legalities aside
kgallowaypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:31 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallowaypa View Post
That makes me curious as to MPT's tune method seeing as how they recommended the same for their own in-house ghost cam tune last year and early 2014. I think at the end of the day its just safer to get a different midpipe regardless of what the tuning company is telling you...Legalities aside
Very true. MPT only made this Ghost Cam tune for no cats. That's how it always was but apparently their new lope tune can work with or without cats.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:56 PM   #78
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
They might have found some sweet spot where they can still get it to lump at idle but not dump too much unburnt fuel to foul the cats. I still kinda think the ghost cam tunes are gimmicky but the sound is very nice. Half the reason I am getting blower cams is for the sound alone lol. Other half is to try to get to my power level I want at 8lbs vs 12...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:23 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
They might have found some sweet spot where they can still get it to lump at idle but not dump too much unburnt fuel to foul the cats. I still kinda think the ghost cam tunes are gimmicky but the sound is very nice. Half the reason I am getting blower cams is for the sound alone lol. Other half is to try to get to my power level I want at 8lbs vs 12...
I thought the very same thing until I learned the Ghost Cam tune provides full performance and power of their regular tunes. Power and performance results with a sweet kick a$$ lope equals huge win.

I thought in the past this tune was all sound and no go. Not at all.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:12 AM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Just got my new two tunes from MPT which one is the 93 Ghost Cam tune. The other is their 93 tune. Both tunes are 93 octane and have race shifts. Updating the firmware on my SCT X3 tuner now. Car is back to stock tune and once update is complete, will transfer the new tunes into the tuner.

I will upload the Ghost Cam tune into the car and report back later on my review of it.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:29 AM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just got my new two tunes from MPT which one is the 93 Ghost Cam tune. The other is their 93 tune. Both tunes are 93 octane and have race shifts. Updating the firmware on my SCT X3 tuner now. Car is back to stock tune and once update is complete, will transfer the new tunes into the tuner.

I will upload the Ghost Cam tune into the car and report back later on my review of it.

I'm sure you will be Happy👍

Old 01-08-2016, 04:34 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
I meant to ask you. Why did your buddy run the ghost cam tune from Bama when he had catalytic converters on his car? In order for Bama ghost cam tune to have worked they always told everybody it needed no catalytic converters.

You always needed a cat delete with Bama's Ghost cam tune. They were never cats friendly or designed to run with the cats. With that said why did your buddy go with the ghost cam tune from Bama knowing that you can't use it with catalytic converters?

When did Bama claim their ghost cam tune became catalytic converter friendly? Perhaps Alex from American Musscle can shed some insight into bamas current ghost cam tune and the do's and don'ts

His tune was from mpt not Bama. Sorry if I didn't say that.
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:07 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Not sure if it was cleared up or not but the ghost cam uses the variable valve timing to get the lope by adding valve overlap at idle. The issue with added overlap is that unburned fuel gets tossed into the exhaust which can mess up the cats over time. With vvt, they can isolate this overlap at idle, and still configure it for better performance wherever they want.

On older cars without vvt, cams had to be swapped in to push the powerband for different configurations. For certain higher rpm applications, they need the additional overlap to do this, which results in the lope at idle. Really aggressive cams sometimes require a higher idle speed than stock because of how big the overlap can be.

With vvt, there usually is no need to swap in cams because you can already move the powerband to take advantage of your configuration.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
skyline247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:33 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
That is such a great explanation of how this works. I posted earlier about the VCT. Your definition is simple and clear. Thank you.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:09 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
That makes so much more sense. I've been following this thread wondering how these tunes work, and that clears everything up!
Old 01-08-2016, 10:30 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline247 View Post

On older cars without vvt, cams had to be swapped in to push the powerband for different configurations. For certain higher rpm applications, they need the additional overlap to do this, which results in the lope at idle. Really aggressive cams sometimes require a higher idle speed than stock because of how big the overlap can be.

With vvt, there usually is no need to swap in cams because you can already move the powerband to take advantage of your configuration.

I know we might be getting into the core engineering aspect of cams here, but
assume if the car is idling at say 750 RPM with a swapped cam, every "pop" you hear is the overlap of each revolution occurring within that time-frame? So lets say 12.5 intervals a second roughly, I'm assuming the higher the idle the more pops you get? Not sure if I explained it right just curious about how this works with respect to the idle you mentioned.

Gathering from https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6042952AAEvL2i but might have done the math wrong on that.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:55 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Valve over lap is the timing of open and close of exhaust and intake. So the rump you hear is the exhaust valve just closing when the intake starts to open. So a really radical cam needs more more RPM at idle to keep going. Hope that's not too confusing.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:56 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

I spent the good part of the day running around in the pony with the Ghost Cam tune. Once the car gets warmed up, the cars lope and rumble is big. Very aggressive. I couldn't be more pleased with the lope sound when the car is parked or stopped at a light.

With that said, good luck for you manual guys with this particular tune. The car jumps and jerks all over the place when slowing down to almost a stop and you really have to press down on the brake much harder than before. There are no driveability issues when the car is accelerating or moving a constant speed. The car shifts and pulls just as hard as my other regular MPT tune did. If you take your foot off the brake and just let the car move without touching the gas pedal be prepared to feel a bit like a milkshake. It definitely jerks a bit forward and jumps.

Perhaps the tune just needs to be dialed in with a data log however I wrote MPT today and asked about the jerkiness of the car. According to Mike, this was normal for that tune. Since I have nothing to compare it too I take him at his word on this.

Definitely a fun tune to have in ones arsenal of tunes for that novilty tune. If the tune can't be dialed in some and reduce the amount of jerk, then this will not be my everytime I drive tune. I'll use it for the occasional car meet or car show but the tune is a bit too jerky for me to use on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong, I love the lope rumble when its in park or idle at a traffic light. Hopefully MPT can reduce the thrusting and jerking of the car when slowing down to a near stop.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:02 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for that Kona. You just help to decide that the first choice I made about my tunes was the right one.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:05 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for that Kona. You just help to decide that the first choice I made about my tunes was the right one. Also, sounds like some of the first cars I built when I was young. Really had to feather the clutch to be smooth.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:12 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

With that said, good luck for you manual guys with this particular tune. The car jumps and jerks all over the place when slowing down to almost a stop and you really have to press down on the brake much harder than before. There are no driveability issues when the car is accelerating or moving a constant speed. The car shifts and pulls just as hard as my other regular MPT tune did. If you take your foot off the brake and just let the car move without touching the gas pedal be prepared to feel a bit like a milkshake. It definitely jerks a bit forward and jumps.

Non ������and non ������fed. I $uck!
So as a manual driver with the 93 octane tune, here is what I noticed, albeit more pronounced with the tune and gears, still something to be considered..

When I had the car stock at 2.73 gears with regular factory 87 octane, if I knew a red light/stop sign was coming and just began the interval, I would throw it into neutral and let it coast to a stop. Lately Ive been downshifting/engine braking (because fun) if I think its gonna change an interval soon so I can remain in gear and keep on accelerating.
Because of either the gears or the tune, there's a certain 'jerk' you get once you get below a certain throttle threshold, while in gear, where the car will jerk itself gently to 0 speed if no throttle is being engaged (typically noticed from 2k RPMS down to 750 RPM's when in a steep gear, ie. in 2nd while coasting down from 30MPH on 3.73's).
So far im used to that, but you mention that you have an automatic so Im not sure if I can relate the jerkiness to the automatic transmission figuring out what to do: (in essence your computer reads a throttle blip with the ghost cam when its coming close to idle/no throttle...so maybe its engaging into a gear and disengaging back to neutral quickly making the car jerk a lot??) who knows..

As far as the tune for manuals vs automatics, if you have a gear engaged regardless of what transmission, your adding some extra fuel due to the changed timing which equates to an extra throttle response. If your at a standstill at idle, your car will jerk around unless its in neutral. So for automatics this might be a pain as a daily driver because as Kona said, every near stop is holding down the brakes assuming your in gear. For manuals if you have the habit of coasting in neutral to a stop this might not be noticed, depends on your driving style.

Im going to get the tune this next paycheck on 1/22/16 and give my own review for manuals that might have a 3.55+ gear set already: could be the jerkiness of gears, or the tune itself...Either way, Great information and good review! I was definitely waiting for your feedback on this one to see who has had the experience with it.

As an afterthought, you guys need to be aware that the Ghost Cam tune is a FEATURE included on top of the standard and proven OCTANE TUNE (+/- Shift preference for automatics only). Ghost cam alone isn't what your paying for, its strictly for the idle sound. The Performance you get that is packaged with the tune is accompanied by the 'underway' driving tune; drive and its 87/91/93 tune engaged, slow down to stop and it puts the octane tune on standby and activates the ghost cam tune.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:17 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
Thanks for that Kona. You just help to decide that the first choice I made about my tunes was the right one. Also, sounds like some of the first cars I built when I was young. Really had to feather the clutch to be smooth.
I have an automatic so no feathering that baby. Lol. It's not that I don't like it, I do, but needs to be less jerky.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:01 AM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know we might be getting into the core engineering aspect of cams here, but
assume if the car is idling at say 750 RPM with a swapped cam, every "pop" you hear is the overlap of each revolution occurring within that time-frame? So lets say 12.5 intervals a second roughly, I'm assuming the higher the idle the more pops you get? Not sure if I explained it right just curious about how this works with respect to the idle you mentioned.

Gathering from https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6042952AAEvL2i but might have done the math wrong on that.
I think I understand what you are asking. Yes, each "pop" corresponds to one cylinder. With a higher idle speed you will hear more "pops" because the engine is spinning faster. FYI, the pattern of "pops" that you hear from mustangs (and most domestic v8s) is due to the cross plane crank and its associated firing order. A lopey idle on a flat plane crank with a different firing order will sound a little different. I mention this because the gt350 has a flat plane crank (along with Ferraris and other small, high revving v8s).

Valve overlap helps bring in more fresh air/fuel mixture as the exhaust gas is scavenged at higher rpms. However, keeping the same overlap at low rpms increases the time allowed for exhaust gases to "back up" and dilute the intake charge. This can lead to a lopey/rough idle. A higher idle speed is needed with really aggressive cams to smooth out the idle (and sometimes just keep the engine from stalling), not really for sound (you typically want the engine to idle at the lowest stable speed possible). Automatic transmission sometimes need a little higher idle speed just because the engine is always somewhat loaded with the torque converter whereas the manual transmission can unload the engine by disengaging the clutch.

Hopefully this answers your question.

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
Old 01-09-2016, 07:07 AM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

I wonder if the jerkiness you guys are experiencing is occurring right at the interface where the tune switches from "ghost cam" to "performance" (or vice versa). The car will jerk more if its coming down to idle with the larger overlap.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:45 AM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Valve over lap is the timing of open and close of exhaust and intake. So the rump you hear is the exhaust valve just closing when the intake starts to open. So a really radical cam needs more more RPM at idle to keep going. Hope that's not too confusing.
I ended up just elaborating on your response.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:26 AM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Now interesting note. Just this morning I took the car out and no jerk. The car was warmed up and the lope was big a$$ kick. The lope sound is amazing. I'll get a video up of it. Wonder if the car had to go through some relearn. Not sure. Will keep all informed. When lope is on, it sounds crazy awesome. My gas millage did go down to 21 mpg from 27 mpg's

Old 01-09-2016, 09:29 AM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Kona, do ya think your mpg's went down because of performance tune or ghost cam?
Old 01-09-2016, 09:35 AM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Yes it tells you in the instructions that came with the tune that the engine has to be at operating temperature before the lope will begin. Also you can start and stop it with a blip of the throttle. I am in an automatic have just gotten into the habit of bumping the shifter into neutral at stops. That seems to control the jerking motion. This tune idles at 650 rpm, which is fine. I contacted MPT about increasing my idle to 700 rpms thinking it would allow the idle to be a little more aggressive sounding, but was told that a lot of work went into this tune and it was all done around a 650 rpm idle. After all as soon as you accelerate any at all it goes away.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:14 AM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Kona, do ya think your mpg's went down because of performance tune or ghost cam?
Ghost cam tune. I spoke with a few other 3.7 owners that have the MPT Ghost Cam tune and their MPG's went down. Its the extra fuel that's being dumped to make the lope.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:17 AM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPa View Post
Yes it tells you in the instructions that came with the tune that the engine has to be at operating temperature before the lope will begin. Also you can start and stop it with a blip of the throttle. I am in an automatic have just gotten into the habit of bumping the shifter into neutral at stops. That seems to control the jerking motion. This tune idles at 650 rpm, which is fine. I contacted MPT about increasing my idle to 700 rpms thinking it would allow the idle to be a little more aggressive sounding, but was told that a lot of work went into this tune and it was all done around a 650 rpm idle. After all as soon as you accelerate any at all it goes away.
Good tip sir. So you are saying when the jerking begins blip the throttle. (Non sexual way, ba ha ha ha). This will get the car to calm down a bit?

You are correct, once one accelerates, it all goes away. Here is a video I recorded of what my lope sounds like. Personally , the lope sounds much bigger and aggressive in person but it really does sound like a big a$$ lope.

https://youtu.be/CucanlpukIQ

Old 01-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Sounds bad a$$

Old 01-09-2016, 10:29 AM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Yea as far as I'm concerned, That sounds really good. I'm old school so to me that is about as good as a V-6 can sound.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:09 AM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I gotta ask, please tell me that puddle of fuel on the driver rear side under the car on your garage was there the whole time, that looks fresh
Old 01-09-2016, 11:26 AM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I gotta ask, please tell me that puddle of fuel on the driver rear side under the car on your garage was there the whole time, that looks fresh
Not fuel, water from inside the axle backs. I drilled a small whole in my axle backs underside to let the water drain out. Made a huge difference with its tone getting rid of the collected water that gets in it.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:28 AM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosariors3 View Post
Sounds bad a$$

Thanks guys.
It does sound as good as a V6 can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPa View Post
Yea as far as I'm concerned, That sounds really good. I'm old school so to me that is about as good as a V-6 can sound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang