Thoughts on MPT's new Ghost Cam? - Page 5 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-17-2016, 12:49 PM   #141
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
Since its only doing this at idle, I don't see it causing any damage to the engine in the long run.
And while MPT states that this tune is now compatible with cats, it may just be that the revised tune doesn't foul out the cats nearly as quickly as it use to. You're still putting extra unburnt fuel into the exhaust system. There's no way that wouldn't shorten the lifespan of the cats at least to some degree.
^^^+1............Although I like the sound of this mod I just can't see it doing the car any good. Especially when they say "don't let the car idle for too long!" There is danger there if you read between the lines, I am sure.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2016, 01:22 PM   #142
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yeah, just like anything in life"to much of a good thing can hurt ya". I've heard that moderation is the key. So that's why I'm pretty sure this is meant for having fun, not daily use. Anyhow that's how I'm going to use it.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:28 PM   #143
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
Yeah, just like anything in life"to much of a good thing can hurt ya". I've heard that moderation is the key. So that's why I'm pretty sure this is meant for having fun, not daily use. Anyhow that's how I'm going to use it.
Agreed. Not going to use it for my regular all the time tune

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2016, 02:13 PM   #144
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Just wondering if there is any harm in switching tunes 2 or 3 times a month ? I mainly use my Economy tune for daily driving but on the weekends if there is a show or cruise in I may attend then that's when I switch to the ghost cam/ performance tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:22 PM   #145
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
Since its only doing this at idle, I don't see it causing any damage to the engine in the long run.
And while MPT states that this tune is now compatible with cats, it may just be that the revised tune doesn't foul out the cats nearly as quickly as it use to. You're still putting extra unburnt fuel into the exhaust system. There's no way that wouldn't shorten the lifespan of the cats at least to some degree.

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I don't have cats so for me I'm not concerned about damage to the cats. Ha ha. I have off road x pipe.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:34 PM   #146
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I just got my tune and its AMAZING!

I love it. I am already planning on improving the exhaust note even more with an H-Pipe and shorties but with only the MAC axle backs it sounds like a muscle car should be...a V6 muscle car .

I got the 93 Performance tune with the Lope. Manual tranny here.

The performance tune blows the SCT canned tunes out of the water! Pulls so hard and there is just no lag from a dig! Love it love it love it!

2012 101a Mustang V6 M/T 6-Speed
3.7Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:50 PM   #147
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I just ordered my new MPT ghost cam tune yesterday gonna do a video of it when it is emailed to me

kgallowaypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:18 PM   #148
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
What's your current exhaust setup?

Sent from my XT1585 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-02-2016, 08:13 AM   #149
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckhammer View Post
What's your current exhaust setup?

To whom, mines?

Old 03-02-2016, 08:46 AM   #150
Registered Member
Regular

I am assuming he means you. He probably can't see your Sig - perhaps he's using a phone to access the forums.

I did mention in my post that I only have the MAC AB's.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:18 AM   #151
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallowaypa View Post
To whom, mines?

Yes, sorry my phone wouldn't let me quote lol
Old 03-02-2016, 09:53 AM   #152
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes, sorry my phone wouldn't let me quote lol

Exhaust related only would be the steeda cold air intake and Roush axel backs, still on the fence if I want to turbo or pro charge later down the line so I'm not looking at headers just yet or mid pipes but ideal would be a longtime mac pro chamber setup with long tubes for me, no thanks bbk

Old 03-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #153
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Exhaust related only would be the steeda cold air intake and Roush axel backs, still on the fence if I want to turbo or pro charge later down the line so I'm not looking at headers just yet or mid pipes but ideal would be a longtime mac pro chamber setup with long tubes for me, no thanks bbk

Same setup as mine. Interested to hear how it sounds. Thinking about getting one when spring weather arrives.

Can the ghost cam be put on the same tune as the performance?

Old 03-02-2016, 04:51 PM   #154
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Same setup as mine. Interested to hear how it sounds. Thinking about getting one when spring weather arrives.

Can the ghost cam be put on the same tune as the performance?

Im updating my SCT x4 as we speak just got the email from MPT, cant wait!!!

Heres some info for anyone interested:

FROM MPT EMAIL INCLUDING TUNE via James@MPT
Ghost Cam Lope Idle Details
"To activate the lope, the car needs to warm up and then you'll tap the gas pedal. When the idle settles it will start loping. Remember to treat this like a true race cam, long idle periods will heat it up and if you have stock cats it will get hot and could melt the internals of the cat if it gets too hot and is not given time to cool off. Remember this is a race cam idle tune and it should be treated as such. Also with a Race cam setup at idle there is going to be a driving style adjustment. Coming to a stop and putting in the clutch will require you the driver to adapt to the style of idle, you will likely stall out while adapting."

-James

The tune is an 93octane tune which incorporates the ghost cam

Ill post a video tonight once its all said and done of what it sound on a Roush only Exhaust with a Steeda CAI as well as some other sound clips. I have a blue yeti microphone as well so that might be a better option for really capturing the bass in the roush, stay tuned all!
Old 03-02-2016, 07:56 PM   #155
Registered Member
Regular

Here is an install during the final tuning sequence with the before and after:

Part 1: (Tune process and specifics)

Part 2: (Before and After)

Part 3: Final Thoughts on the ghost cam

Gotta say it is bawlsy and even going to college I had a bunch of people looking my way wondering what the hell I have under the hood. But overall I will say you can SMELL FUEL on the back of the car and a little bit on the inside, it is definitely dumping extra fuel through the exhaust when the ghost cam is on. For me on a manual, if your coasting to a stop when in neutral, the ghost cam will kick in..no matter what gear your in as well, if its close to 900 RMP, the ghost cam will begin to engage. Even without cats, I wouldn't recommend keep the tune on as a daily driver not just because of the fuel, but I saw the needle on the MPG go down rather quickly going to and from school and back home, more-so with this tune ghost cam addition versus the standard MPT 93 octane without ghost cam addition. Not sure whats the real hit on MPG but you are dumping extra fuel down the manifold with the extra valve overlap.

Either way, AWESOME AS HELL!! but really only recommended as a gimmick or when you go to a show or something..hey for $115, awesome little mod if your already running with MPT as your go-to remote tuner

As a small side-note, there is a very noticeable "clicking" sound coming from the exhaust note on every lope, you might be able to pick it up in the video above, which I assume is just the valve opening at a delay to where you can hear it in between the lopes. Another thing, if you have anything else done exhaust-wise such as long tubes or an x-pipe/h-pipe without cats, the lope will sound more aggressive and louder.

Hope this whole thread helped some people in choosing to get this
Old 03-02-2016, 08:19 PM   #156
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

Gotta say it is bawlsy and even going to college I had a bunch of people looking my way wondering what the hell I have under the hood. But overall I will say you can SMELL FUEL on the back of the car and a little bit on the inside, it is definitely dumping extra fuel through the exhaust when the ghost cam is on. For me on a manual, if your coasting to a stop when in neutral, the ghost cam will kick in..no matter what gear your in as well, if its close to 900 RMP, the ghost cam will begin to engage. Even without cats, I wouldn't recommend keep the tune on as a daily driver not just because of the fuel, but I saw the needle on the MPG go down rather quickly going to and from school and back home, more-so with this tune ghost cam addition versus the standard MPT 93 octane without ghost cam addition. Not sure whats the real hit on MPG but you are dumping extra fuel down the manifold with the extra valve overlap.

Either way, AWESOME AS HELL!! but really only recommended as a gimmick or when you go to a show or something..hey for $115, awesome little mod if your already running with MPT as your go-to remote tuner

As a small side-note, there is a very noticeable "clicking" sound coming from the exhaust note on every lope, you might be able to pick it up in the video above, which I assume is just the valve opening at a delay to where you can hear it in between the lopes. Another thing, if you have anything else done exhaust-wise such as long tubes or an x-pipe/h-pipe without cats, the lope will sound more aggressive and louder.

Nice review of the tune. Gotta tell ya at first I wouldn't think about considering doing this but the more I hear it the more I'm leaning toward doing this.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:21 PM   #157
Registered Member

Regular

Just blow out a spark plug. Sounds the same :p

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:40 PM   #158
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:

Part 3: Final Thoughts on the ghost cam

I'm a little jealous.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:43 PM   #159
Registered Member
Regular

Just updated a third and final video on afterthoughts and the pro's and cons
Old 03-02-2016, 09:57 PM   #160
Registered Member
Regular

Great review, nicely done, sounds good. Now go have some fun.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:41 AM   #161
Registered Member
Regular

Last response from James, I addressed the clicking sound and the fuel economy and he gave me a very detailed email response ill share here, great guys over at MPT will say for sure!

"
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the positive review, and thanks for the detailed video. That is great. The GhostCam tune changes the way your engine runs at idle, taking advantage of the Ti-VCT to independently move both intake and exhaust cam overlap on both sides of the engine to achieve the lope. The end result of how the cams move is very similar to an actual set of aggressive/upgraded camshafts. The downsides to upgraded camshafts partially apply to the ghost cam tune. With a set of camshafts installed, your driving style must change. I am sure you have noticed this based on your comments in the video. It makes the engine move different and you can feel it throughout the car. The upside to the ghost cam that uses Ti-VCT instead of actual aggressive camshafts is that as soon as a certain threshold is met, the cams move out of the lope and are back to normal, so you can make power, or fuel economy.

First thing I want to cover is the click sound. That definitely sounds like an exhaust piece, or heatshield that is rattling against something. I have seen some customers that have had exhaust systems installed that needed minor adjustment or tightening. Look over all the hangars, bolts for heat shields, and where any of that comes into contact with anything else. It could be anywhere from the headers to the axle-back. Find whatever that is and I’m sure you can get rid of the click.

Gas smell is sort of normal, but only if you have deleted cats, or have highflow cats. If you are smelling gas in the cabin, I wonder if it is related to the exhaust rattle? Maybe there is a loose connection in the exhaust pipes that is only now causing exhaust fumes to leak due to the engine oscillation.

Next up is gas mileage. As you sit at idle, not moving, gas mileage goes down with or without the ghost cam. The main difference is that now you have an incentive to sit at idle, so you will probably see gas mileage drop due to that. There isn’t really much extra fueling at idle for the ghost cam, but I do have something else I’d like to mention that is related to gas mileage as I’ll go over in the next paragraph.

I noticed you mentioned that you are getting into 6th gear at 30 mph. I don’t advise doing that, even on the stock tune, that will be lugging the engine. It isn’t making much useful power at that point, and while in an auto, the tq converter can multiply power by allowing slippage at 900rpm or so (the rpm you mentioned in the video), a manual cannot do that, so it will put some additional stress on the engine. It doesn’t help with gas mileage to be that low either, as even though engine rotation events are cut down, the ability to make power isn’t there so it has to use more fuel to keep with demands. To add to that, with the characteristics of the ghost-cam in mind, and keeping in mind that everyone’s driving style needs some adaptation to get in tune with a vehicle with camshafts installed, or in this case a ghost cam tune, I’d make sure to keep all driving above 1250RPM. Obviously you’ll be below that when moving from a stop in 1st gear, but I’m sure you understand what I mean. Generally, I’d be downshifting at 1500RPM or higher, but that is just my personal preference for casual driving and keeping the engine in a useful powerband, even on non-ghostcam tunes. On top of that, better gas mileage can be achieved by using the powerband of a gear instead of just cruising a few rpms then upshifting through to get to 6th as soon as possible. Rev-match downshifting when anticipating coming to a stop or slowing down and getting off of the gas will make the engine stop using fuel (called coasting-fuel shut-off) until you apply the gas pedal or hit a low-enough rpm.

Datalogging isn’t necessary, but if you’d like to have a log reviewed, there is a page with instructions for that available on our website.
How to Datalog a 3rd Gear WOT Pull on 2011+ Fords

I think I covered everything you went over in the video, and I’m glad you are enjoying our tunes so much. You are absolutely right that the GhostCam is more intended for a car meet, show-off type situation and not really 100% daily driving. We have plenty of customers that daily drive on it anyway without any issues, but obviously most prefer to have it for the novelty.

Thanks again for putting the video out, as good word of mouth is how we get business. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns and I’ll be happy to go over it with you.

-James"

Old 03-03-2016, 12:10 PM   #162
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome write up man. Very informative and I am sure a lot of people will have the same questions and concerns that you had but now they the have answers here.

I gotta say though the Roush AB's sound a lot better than my MAC's

Might have to change those too besides getting a new mid pipe. Mhmm. Decisions, decisions.....

Oh forgot to mention. I have the same clicking sounds and also from the same area. I believe its the stock cats...

Old 03-04-2016, 12:17 PM   #163
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
It's cool, but for me it's not worth jacking with the engine to that level. Not to mention it's only at idle, so I'll stick with my throaty Magnaflows.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:21 PM   #164
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
How about old school and really put a racing cam in it!!😀😀😀😀 We didn't put them in to sound good...we put them in for more HP !

sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:30 PM   #165
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks123 View Post
How about old school and really put a racing cam in it!!😀😀😀😀 We didn't put them in to sound good...we put them in for more HP !

Weren't you the guy that said mods were a waste of time and money?
Old 03-04-2016, 07:42 PM   #166
Registered Member
Regular

So I have been running the tune since Monday and so far so good. My only concern is how do I know if/when the cats foul out?

I have no clue on what that even means to be honest.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:56 PM   #167
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Thoughts on MPT's new Ghost Cam?

I personally don't mod anymore...but if I was, I would put a race cam in....not a fake tune! 😀😀😀😀

sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:00 PM   #168
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks123 View Post
I personally don't mod anymore...but if I was, I would put a race cam in....not a fake tune! 😀😀😀😀

Sure would sound interesting with "a race cam"

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:16 AM   #169
Registered Member
Regular

Hey Sticks? Have you ever tried to find cams for our 3.7's? Not so easy and really expensive. Install is very difficult and expensive also. Not sure it would be worth the money for what we would gain out of a 3.7. I opted for the MPT performance tune with cam and I'm very happy with the performance of the tune. Little 3.7 pulls like crazy and the ghost cam idle is just plain fun. Don't run this tune very often, just for play. Car is a daily driver also. I've had cars and H-D's with big cams before. Not so fun for daily use. This way we get the best of both worlds for easy money and our car isn't dedicated to a single purpose. That's my two cents. Kinda turned out to be 25 cents didn't it?
Old 03-05-2016, 11:03 AM   #170
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey Sticks? Have you ever tried to find cams for our 3.7's? Not so easy and really expensive. Install is very difficult and expensive also. Not sure it would be worth the money for what we would gain out of a 3.7. I opted for the MPT performance tune with cam and I'm very happy with the performance of the tune. Little 3.7 pulls like crazy and the ghost cam idle is just plain fun. Don't run this tune very often, just for play. Car is a daily driver also. I've had cars and H-D's with big cams before. Not so fun for daily use. This way we get the best of both worlds for easy money and our car isn't dedicated to a single purpose. That's my two cents. Kinda turned out to be 25 cents didn't it?
Hell you might have just sold me on the custom tune. I keep forgetting I can switch between stock, can and custom. The ghost thing would be cool for mustang shows for sure.

One question, has any expert answered what could be the result of idling too long? I would really like to know first.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:16 AM   #171
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
FYI, larger cams for the 3.7 will NOT get you a lope. Its because of the TI-VCT. Even on the 5.0's a larger set of cams will not get you that sound of the ghost cam tune. Because of the TI-VCT. The 4.6 engines don't have the TI-VCT so its completely different.

I have the MPT Ghost Cam tune and its freaking awesome.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:03 PM   #172
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:

Super six motorsports sells cams for $1075 I believe. That's not including lash caps, valve springs, etc.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:46 PM   #173
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post

One question, has any expert answered what could be the result of idling too long? I would really like to know first.

You will melt the internals of the catalytic converter due to high temps, read James' response to my email on the previous page of this thread

Old 03-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #174
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You will melt the internals of the catalytic converter due to high temps, read James' response to my email on the previous page of this thread

Thanks. I should have read the entire thread but I'm waiting for the movie version.

So I'm guessing 30 mins is very conservative since I doubt they want anyone melting their converter at 29 mins.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:59 PM   #175
Registered Member
Regular

So I'm guessing 30 mins is very conservative since I doubt they want anyone melting their converter at 29 mins.[/QUOTE]

So don't forget cool down time between idle's. I would suggest you call MPT. They are very happy to answer any questions you have. When I was thinking about the Ghost, I talked to Duane, He explained what it does and answered my do's and do not's. No mater who you talk to they are good people to work with. Don't be afraid to try it, you'll like it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang