Thoughts on MPT's new Ghost Cam? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-04-2016, 08:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Cool Thoughts on MPT's new Ghost Cam?

So as some of you know, MPT offers the ghost cam tune for our v6's and other versions. What I just saw is that they did away with the 'stages' 1-2 for automatic and 1-3 for manual transmission with 3 being the most aggressive lope literally shaking the car.

Recently I just checked their site and they now have a one-tune-fits all solution for the ghost cam. Also, you can apparently run the tune with the stock midpipe with cats on. Still has their recommended no idle for more than 30 minutes but just wondering, without stages now anyone recently got a ghost cam revision on their mustang? I already have a tune with MPT 93 but am wondering how their new revision stands to the older stages we all have seen around for the last 3 years.

Emailed reply from MPT I sent:

Question: On previous versions of the ghost cam, I read here on the site that you needed off road midpipes for the ghost cam to not cause any damage; running a ghost cam with oem midpipes/cats-on was not recommended. Has the new ghost cam tune been modified to not cause damage to oem midpipes? Another questions, with no more stages being offered, is there a one-tune-fits all now application or can you request for more aggressive lopes?
Answer
: The current version of the ghost cam lope is safe to drive with a stock exhaust system. The only instruction we give to customers is do not let the car idle for long periods of time (30+ mins). The lope turns off when you drive the vehicle and our performance tune is used, so daily driving with it, is not an issue. In regards to stages, it is a "one tune fits all". We have created the best overall ghost cam lope possible and offer that solely.
kgallowaypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2016, 08:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Subscribed... Just cause I'm interested in what ppl will say about ghost cams..from what I've seen is that it's kind of like putting a big wing on a dodge neon. It has no purpose. Maybe I'm wrong but isn't Installing cams what u really want? Don't u want ur money to go to something that actually enhances ur cars performance? Isn't a ghost cam like saying hey I sound badasss but im really not. Or like a girl faking an orgasm. Maybe I'm wrong either way in interested in this

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 01-04-2016, 08:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

You mean this.. http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/_...atrev1Cams.pdf

For the now I like that lope sound, and I havnt seen any other mustang of our gen with actual loping cams, hell even the GT's I see on youtube have ghost cams. Id rather spend $120 to see how I like it versus $1,000 and then the labor... and wouldnt have the stuff we put on our mustangs have no purpose anyways lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2016, 08:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

How much hp do u gain with the real cams if any ? Is there any other advantages with havin them?

Old 01-05-2016, 05:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If most ppl are like me getting a ghost tune is just for fun and showing off. I intend on getting MPT with ghost tune soon. Been talking with Duane at MPT and he stated ghost tune can indeed be run with stock cats with the statement as said here, not to let idle for 30min+. So don't razz me too bad if you see us out there goofin off.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I wonder what the "new" ghost cam tune sounds like now

Sent from my XT1080 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-05-2016, 06:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Oh ya, also we are getting a tuner to improve performance and the ghost tune only costs 50 clams at time of purchase. So why not, what the hey?
Old 01-05-2016, 09:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
If most ppl are like me getting a ghost tune is just for fun and showing off. I intend on getting MPT with ghost tune soon. Been talking with Duane at MPT and he stated ghost tune can indeed be run with stock cats with the statement as said here, not to let idle for 30min+. So don't razz me too bad if you see us out there goofin off.
I just ordered my Ghost Cam lope tune from MPT last night. Had it not been for the OP posting about a new improved Ghost Cam tune, I would never bother to read up on MPT's web site about their Ghost Cam tune.

Sure I was fully aware MPT offered this tune but I never thought it had any value of performance in it. I thought is was just for show and now go.

After reading up about it, and contacting MPT, I was totally wrong. Futher more , MPT has perfected this tune and worked out all the kinks. They offer only one stage where before there was three stages.

The Ghost Cam lope tune works just like any one of their regular performance tunes when in motion. That's right, when you accelerate the performance tune with the race shifts work and the lope automatically shuts off. When stopped and idle the car has a kick a$$ lope like one installed bigger cams. Gives you that true old school rumble and shake with out the $$$$$$$ of larger cams.

I thought this tune was all show and no go. WRONG! Its show and sound when idle, when accelerating lope turns off and its all go just like any one of their performance tunes with the race shifts. To me that's the best of both worlds.

Get the sound of old school muscle with rumble, shake and power and shift points from the tune.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Manuals only?
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:02 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I've got to admit, that I thought this idea was a little foolish..........then I looked up a couple of youtube videos of this mod...............made me smile to listen to them, and frankly brought back memories of all the old 3/4 cammed cars...............wild!

Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Is the tune only manuals? I don't see it for an auto 5.0 anymore
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:26 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
They're product video shows an automatic car (sounds like it is auto when it takes off), so I'd assume it works for autos. Although, the product video for the 5.0 shows the 3.7 video... so guess the best bet would be to ask MPT
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:07 AM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

The way I understood the ghost cam lope to work was to over richen the fuel at idle to cause the lope. This concerns me: one, the raw gas that is unburned. Does it wash down the cylinders and overtime, contaminate the oil in the crankcase?
Old 01-06-2016, 03:48 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
MPT offers this for manual and automatic on the 3.7's and would assume the same for the 5.0's.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:38 AM   #15
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I've never heard one that was done with the ECU, but ya gotta love the sound of a lopey? idle.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:13 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I've never heard one that was done with the ECU, but ya gotta love the sound of a lopey? idle.
I too was under the impression this tune was all show and no go. Apparently mpt has changed it and the lope is now incorporated with their regular tune, so you get the power and performance of the tune when in motion and when on idle you get that large cam sound

Old 01-06-2016, 06:26 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
The way I understood the ghost cam lope to work was to over richen the fuel at idle to cause the lope. This concerns me: one, the raw gas that is unburned. Does it wash down the cylinders and overtime, contaminate the oil in the crankcase?
The ghost cam is done through the variable cam timing on these new engines. MPT does ghost tune on V8 and V6.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:28 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
The only I'll effect of the ghost cam is it will teach your cats after a while and they don't recommend idling the car for long durations. Stop and go traffic can be a pita if you have a manual because the take off is different. Much different. You have to raise the idle above the lope to have a clean take off. No problem for me since I'm usually dumping the clutch at every light any ways . My cars a toy though not a dd so she sees plenty clutch drops. I had an issue with the ghost cam and have not installed it since then. So some reason the car decided to lock my brakes up on mpts new ghost cam edition and I decided not to use it. However there 93 race/performance tune is pretty surprising to me. It was vastly superior to bamas equivalent even after doing some data logs with Bama. I did one data log with mpt and the car has never ran better than what it's does now.
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:47 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
So here is my two cents. I purchased the ghost cam from Mpt in October. I don't use it all the time , mainly for car shows n cruise in's. I have attached a clip that was made right after I got the tune. In December I installed BBK shorties so the tone is a little different now. I understand that this is done by extra fuel and changing the valve timing. I am impressed by the fact that you can stand behind the car at idle and there are no gas exhaust fumes and no black smoke as would indicate a rich mixture, so I guess it burns clean. I'm a fan however I am saving my $$ because my next mod is going to be to change out the stock cams for some aftermarkets.

NOW I need your help. Please go over to the 2015 Mustang of the year thread and post a vote for Papa, Winner of the December MOTM. Thanks to all, and have a great day.

IMG_1520.MOV

Attached Files
PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:51 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Bucko, I took your questions to MPT about doesn't the ghost cam tune work to richen the fuel and does the tune wash down the cylinders and overtime contaminate the oil in the crankcase.

Here was the response I got from MPT about your questions:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1452091893480.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	195518  
Old 01-06-2016, 09:46 AM   #21
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Thanks for clearing that up!
Old 01-06-2016, 12:02 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Glad to see the forum getting in on this, after reading Kona's experience, I am down to add it to my existing 93 tune on next pay period
Old 01-06-2016, 12:36 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallowaypa View Post
Glad to see the forum getting in on this, after reading Kona's experience, I am down to add it to my existing 93 tune on next pay period
I am waiting to receive my Ghost Cam tune. 93 tune with race shifts. FYI, One can only get 93 octane tune with their Ghost Cam tune. They do not offer it in any other octane rating.

I was told by a few others that are using this tune that ones MPG's do decrease quite a bit. I was told that MPG's went from 27 mpg to 15 mpg! It may not be a tune someone always drives with depending on how many miles someone drives monthly.

My pony is not a DD so MPG's are not a real concern for me. My pony is my fun car that I put around 10k miles of fun on her each year. Just food for thought for those of you who are thinking of getting this. Those MPG's were from 3.7 owners and not sure what 5.0 owners are getting with the Ghost cam tune

Old 01-06-2016, 12:40 PM   #24
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Wow! Where is the fuel going if this tune drops it from 27 to 15 MPG? That's significant drop for sure.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Straight to your cats. That's why they say don't idle it for a long time.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:01 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
Straight to your cats. That's why they say don't idle it for a long time.
No longer than 30 minutes straight idle time.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:04 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

These cars do not do a regen cycle so the excess fuel will for the most part just sit there and ruin the cats.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:30 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Let me jump in here ... Are there aftermarket cams out there that give u that lope sound? I c some on AM BUT Apparently u don't get that sound.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:40 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosariors3 View Post
Let me jump in here ... Are there aftermarket cams out there that give u that lope sound? I c some on AM BUT Apparently u don't get that sound.

No. Due to the TIVCT.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:48 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
How about these . Anyone have any knowledge ?http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/_...atrev1Cams.pdf

PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPa View Post
How about these . Anyone have any knowledge ?http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/_...atrev1Cams.pdf

Not worth putting the larger cams into 3.7 unless you're going to do a full and complete engine build

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
These cars do not do a regen cycle so the excess fuel will for the most part just sit there and ruin the cats.
Mpt also claims that their new ghost cam tune is completely safe for people with catalytic converters. Its catalytic converter friendly

Old 01-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No. Due to the TIVCT.

So ur telling me that every car that here that has the loping sound is due to a ghost cam?!!!! I find it hard to believe

Old 01-06-2016, 02:57 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosariors3 View Post
So ur telling me that every car that here that has the loping sound is due to a ghost cam?!!!! I find it hard to believe

Every 11+ Mustang that does, yes. Before 2011, Mustangs didn't have TIVCT, so those do actually lope because of the cams.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Wow ok!!

Old 01-06-2016, 03:05 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Every 11+ Mustang that does, yes. Before 2011, Mustangs didn't have TIVCT, so those do actually lope because of the cams.
Yep, no lope. That's why you get the Ghost Cam tune from MPT , big old school lope with all the benefits of a regular performance tune.

Bama doesn't offer this tune for 3.7 owners. 5.0's do but not sure about the performance aspect of the tune. I do not know anything about the ghost cam tune from Bama

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang