Driveshaft? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-07-2016, 10:38 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcesarmiranda View Post
I have removed my governor . I have hit 130. I will definitely buy another drive shaft now that I feel like I got lucky. Any recommendations as to what I should upgrade to? Aluminum driveshafts please.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
I switched to the aluminum one piece from AM that was the cheapest. Car will easily do 155 red lined in 5th
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2016, 10:47 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmelendez13 View Post
I purchased it used from one owner. It still was pretty much all stock except for a cai. But like I said in the previous post I don't know how I managed to go that fast. With out something breaking or the governor kicking In. And its just the premium, no special package.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Car probably has an aftermarket tune then.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2016, 10:48 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
I've taken my '14 premium to 140 once before. Honestly I don't know how because I didn't turn my governed off and I didn't have a tuner at the time to change anything else. I felt a vibrations at about 120 when decelerating until about 115 then it passed and I haven't gone anything faster then 110 since then.

Edit to post. I forgot that I had put my new rims and tires on by that time. So the speedo said 140 but the online calculator I used to tune the new tires calculated that I was going 125 not 140. But I still think the governor should of kicked in as that's still faster then 113 either way, so the vibrations started at about 110

wmelendez13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2016, 10:50 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Car probably has an aftermarket tune then.

After I got my tuner it said everything was still stock and it was an old man that had it before me. He traded it in because he didn't want to go that fast so I doubt he got a tuned

Old 01-07-2016, 11:39 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
I'd be curious to see that. My understanding was all the V6 cars had the crappy telescoping shaft like the rusty one pictured. I'd be surprised if Ford redesigned it for the '14 MY knowing how cheap they are.
I must have been on drugs that day. My '14 driveshaft is exactly the same.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8171a.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	910.3 KB
ID:	195555

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8172.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	709.1 KB
ID:	195556
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:36 PM   #41
Registered Member

Regular

^ Thanks for checking. Cheap wins every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:45 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
I purchased it used from one owner. It still was pretty much all stock except for a cai. But like I said in the previous post I don't know how I managed to go that fast. With out something breaking or the governor kicking In. And its just the premium, no special package.

Something seems fishy there. To me that sounds like your car was tuned and they just didn't tell you.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:05 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I must have been on drugs that day. My '14 driveshaft is exactly the same.
Attachment 195555

Attachment 195556
YUP! Same rusty piece of on our 14.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:25 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colburt195 View Post
Something seems fishy there. To me that sounds like your car was tuned and they just didn't tell you.

It is actually possible to go past the speed limiter, I don't know how but I was riding with a buddy in his 2015 v6 and he somehow hit 130. His was new and stock. This was the 1st and only time he has ever been able to go over 113 or whatever it is. And I also think they redesigned the driveshaft a bit bc I have a stock driveshaft with 2.73 gears and I cruise over 120 all the time and have hit 155 once with no issues.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:43 AM   #45
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
didn't someone say in an earlier post 2015's had different limiters.

I guess "old man who didn't want to go that fast" has replaced "old lady who only drove it to church" as a sales phrase.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:58 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
didn't someone say in an earlier post 2015's had different limiters.

I guess "old man who didn't want to go that fast" has replaced "old lady who only drove it to church" as a sales phrase.
Yeah, they are higher, I've seen it listed as 121. I know for sure stock my 2014 was limited to 113, you'd hit the mark and the car would cut your power. There was no way mine was ever letting me go over that from my personal experience.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:18 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Also the limiter on the 3.7 at 113 isn't so much about the driveshaft as it is about the 215/65r27 Michelin energy saver tires that come stock on the auto. They are only a T rated tire which carries a 115-118mph rating.

So I hope you auto guys removing the limiter aren't doing so on the OEM 17" tires. I'd be more concerned with that then the driveshaft popping.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:39 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Also the limiter on the 3.7 at 113 isn't so much about the driveshaft as it is about the 215/65r27 Michelin energy saver tires that come stock on the auto. They are only a T rated tire which carries a 115-118mph rating.

So I hope you auto guys removing the limiter aren't doing so on the OEM 17" tires. I'd be more concerned with that then the driveshaft popping.

I would say not so and disagee with your reason and here is why. The performance package on the 3.7 comes with upgraded 19 inch performance tires that's high speed rated the same as the GT tires.

The performance package cars are still limited to 113 mph just like the other 3.7's.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:58 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well when I did the 140 that my car wasn't tuned for and actually only went 125 it was on a staggered set with 255/40r18 sumitomo on the back. I've since gotten another staggered set with 285/35r19 for the back.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:26 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
After I got my tuner it said everything was still stock and it was an old man that had it before me. He traded it in because he didn't want to go that fast so I doubt he got a tuned

Maybe what you should do is go back to your dealer and ask them why the speed limiter didn't work and whether you should be concerned.

Also, you can't trust those old men. There are many on this forum that are speedsters. LOL
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:38 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Mine came from Ford with the 18 inch aluminum wheels and Pirelli's, I think it has to be due to the driveshaft and they get away with those tires because of that. Otherwise there is no reason our cars cannot handle higher speeds when the fiestas have higher limits.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:00 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Maybe what you should do is go back to your dealer and ask them why the speed limiter didn't work and whether you should be concerned.

Also, you can't trust those old men. There are many on this forum that are speedsters. LOL

It was November of 14 when I got mine I doubt they would remember any more.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:35 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Sucks that driveshafts are so darn expensive, I guess I'll just limit myself to going under 110 . Thanks for the insight guys !!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
iamcesarmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:21 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

There's a bigger issue, though, with these two piece driveshafts, and that's that the extra U-joint in it causes just enough slack that you hear "thunk" all too often when you are going from accleration back to engine compression and vice-versa. This extra play will eventually blow the rear pinion seal.

This stress causes a lot of wear at very high speeds. The rear seal goes out and you're done.

Two piece driveshafts are a kludge.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:10 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

My car came with pirellis also and if I'm not mistaken the rated speed is 170ish I think. Don't quote me on that, but even if the 2015 has a higher speed limiter it doesn't explain how he got it 140.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-08-2016, 10:35 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
At 45 years old, do I qualify as a speedy old man yet?

I have a 2014 w/ Performance Pack that I bought brand new, 3:31 gears from the factory. Tires are W rated (from what I can determine), so are supposedly good for 168 MPH.

The governor hits at 113 MPH. I've done it on many occasions. It will not go past it. I've tried.

The stock driveshaft - the rusty hulk with the sliding joint in the middle of the shaft - would start vibrating right at 100 MPH. At 113 MPH it was very noticeable, and a bit disturbing. That was my experience, your mileage may vary. It was irritating enough that on our first cross country trip, I generally didn't exceed 98 or so MPH because of the driveshaft vibration. Before the next road trip, I bought an Axle Exchange aluminum DS from AM. Full Disclosure: When I first put on the AE DS it had an odd vibration at 70, but the guys at Axle Exchange rebalanced it and it is now smooth up to the limiter. The car now has many miles on the new driveshaft... more miles at or near the governor than I care to admit or that anyone would believe. The new driveshaft made a big difference in vibration, and was worth every penny for my peace of mind.

This spring, the car is getting a tune and that 113 MPH limiter will be history.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:14 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling S197 View Post
At 45 years old, do I qualify as a speedy old man yet?

I have a 2014 w/ Performance Pack that I bought brand new, 3:31 gears from the factory. Tires are W rated (from what I can determine), so are supposedly good for 168 MPH.

The governor hits at 113 MPH. I've done it on many occasions. It will not go past it. I've tried.

The stock driveshaft - the rusty hulk with the sliding joint in the middle of the shaft - would start vibrating right at 100 MPH. At 113 MPH it was very noticeable, and a bit disturbing. That was my experience, your mileage may vary. It was irritating enough that on our first cross country trip, I generally didn't exceed 98 or so MPH because of the driveshaft vibration. Before the next road trip, I bought an Axle Exchange aluminum DS from AM. Full Disclosure: When I first put on the AE DS it had an odd vibration at 70, but the guys at Axle Exchange rebalanced it and it is now smooth up to the limiter. The car now has many miles on the new driveshaft... more miles at or near the governor than I care to admit or that anyone would believe. The new driveshaft made a big difference in vibration, and was worth every penny for my peace of mind.

This spring, the car is getting a tune and that 113 MPH limiter will be history.

Maybe I just don't notice it, but I actually did a little test on the highway and I don't notice any vibration until about 135 and even then it was very minimal.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-09-2016, 01:29 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Interesting. So now we break this down further. Do you happen to know if your car is a late model 2011, or early model?

You mention the flywheel, i wonder if its a matter of automatic or manual transmission as well...
Good point. Knowing a Manual and Automatic base include the stock Ford Dual-Mass flywheel, would need a comparison of two identical models (stock bases without any drive-train modifications) to be sure. But I know that you probably already know the answer volt

With my experience, the vibrations that can be attributed to the OEM Dual-Mass flywheel, even before I installed my 3.73's, was not replicable on demand. Im thinking depending on the factors of speed and drive shaft RPM given MPH/KMPH, contributes to the vibration. I know that the vibrations only occurred under 2 conditions:

1.) The car engaged in a gear driving at or above 70 MPH
2.) The vibrations occurred when the throttle was disengaged and the car remained in gear.

The only idea for vibrations I can imagine is a threshold velocity change from the driveshaft back to the flywheel based on engine speed relative to potential energy from the gear in use at the time.
kgallowaypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:59 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallowaypa View Post
Good point. Knowing a Manual and Automatic base include the stock Ford Dual-Mass flywheel, would need a comparison of two identical models (stock bases without any drive-train modifications) to be sure. But I know that you probably already know the answer volt

With my experience, the vibrations that can be attributed to the OEM Dual-Mass flywheel, even before I installed my 3.73's, was not replicable on demand. Im thinking depending on the factors of speed and drive shaft RPM given MPH/KMPH, contributes to the vibration. I know that the vibrations only occurred under 2 conditions:

1.) The car engaged in a gear driving at or above 70 MPH
2.) The vibrations occurred when the throttle was disengaged and the car remained in gear.

The only idea for vibrations I can imagine is a threshold velocity change from the driveshaft back to the flywheel based on engine speed relative to potential energy from the gear in use at the time.
Only manual Cyclones have dual mass flywheels. Automatics don't need it because the auto's torque converter acts as a vibration damper.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:01 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
Only manual Cyclones have dual mass flywheels. Automatics don't need it because the auto's torque converter acts as a vibration damper.
Nice, well that eliminates the automatics
kgallowaypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:03 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Oh I have a manual so that might be why.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-09-2016, 02:53 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I've hit the rev limiter a few times, didn't feel any vibrations and honestly will probably never hit it again.
Cooolbreeez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:00 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
A vehicle's limiter is based on its stock tires, but there's like 4-5 different tire options for the v6, Ford isn't going to write a new tune for each car and flash them all separately though. You all just got the same tune and it is what it is.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:11 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I would say not so and disagee with your reason and here is why. The performance package on the 3.7 comes with upgraded 19 inch performance tires that's high speed rated the same as the GT tires.

The performance package cars are still limited to 113 mph just like the other 3.7's.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
I think the limiter is a standard setting across the 3.7 line and it's set based on the lowest common denominator.

That's not to say I don't think the driveshaft isn't cheap, but I don't think it's the singular reason for the 113 limiter. It's several contributing factors.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang