Driveshaft? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-06-2016, 03:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Driveshaft?

I have a 2014 Mustang v6
What is the max speed without the driveshaft blowing?

I heard that the 2011-2012s blow at 135?

What about the 2014?
asvpedwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2016, 03:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Try this video.

The Real Story of the 3.7L Mustang Stock Driveshaft Failure | A 3.7L V6 Mustang Owner Resource for Modifications and Repairs
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
The video is gone but it's a pretty good write-up none the less.

For quick reference, a paragraph from the article follows.
Ford stood behind their product and repaired his car under warranty! After the damage was repaired, he said everything felt smooth again. Also, Ford flashed the ECU with an update which greatly improved the low end throttle response. Now the factory tune feels basically like the SCT did, so he is driving it stock.

1st off, I'm surprised they repaired it under warranty after tampering with the speed limiter.
2nd...He didn't say what they used to replace the drive shaft. Same or different design?
3rd...Did the Ford reflash set the limit back to 113?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2016, 03:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Driveshaft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post

Ford stood behind their product and repaired his car under warranty! After the damage was repaired, he said everything felt smooth again. Also, Ford flashed the ECU with an update which greatly improved the low end throttle response. Now the factory tune feels basically like the SCT did, so he is driving it stock.

1st off, I'm surprised they repaired it under warranty after tampering with the speed limiter.

2nd...He didn't say what they used to replace the drive shaft. Same or different design?

The article is for a 2011 3.7
does the 2014 have the same issue?

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

Does the 2014 have the same issue?
asvpedwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

Drive shaft failure on Mustang V6 - Ask.com YouTube Search

2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by asvpedwin View Post
does the 2014 have the same issue?

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

Does the 2014 have the same issue?
The 2014 driveshaft is the same two piece junk the 2011 had

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

But in any case what must be remembered is the 135 MPH isn't necessarily an exact number. You may get an OEM shaft to fail at a lower or higher speed. Hence the reason for the safety factor down to 113 MPH.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Now the question is, did the '15 and '16's change?

EDIT: The following is apparently old news but I just saw it for the first time.

In an interview with Autoevolution, Mustang Chief Engineer Dave Pericak revealed that coupes with the carry-over entry-level 305 hp V6 will have their electronic limiters increased from today’s 113 mph to 121 hp, while 5.0-liter V8 models get a boost from 149 mph to 155 mph.
As for the 300-ish hp 2.3-liter turbocharged four-cylinder that will fall between the two naturally-aspirated engines in the lineup, it will come with standard a 121 mph limiter, but cars equipped with the optional high performance Track Pack will be able to hit 145 mph, which a Ford spokesperson tells FoxNews.com is also an electronically restricted speed.
This article dates back to Jan 2014. I wonder if it's true.
EDIT 2: Forget this info. Now I see later info that says V6 '15's and 16's limit is set at 155 MPH ???
Old 01-06-2016, 04:21 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
^ if you mean, does the S550 have the two piece driveshaft. The answer is yes they still have the two piece.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Just as everyone else has said before me, the 2014 driveshaft is the same two piece causing so many problems. When I bought my 2014 and found out it was governed at 113, I immediately researched why and found out this issue. When I looked into it then, what I found was that it breaks when decelerating at high speeds due to a vibration. Don't quote me on that, that was just the most logical answer I found.

Since then, I have a BAMA tune, but I have only increased the limiter to 115, I'm not willing to risk any issue with that until I drop the $750 for a one piece. If you're braver than I am and want to take the risk of increasing the limiter, just be prepared for the worst.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have been under a 12 v6, and 2 14 v6s, and the drive shafts are far and away different from what is found on a 2011 when i am looking at pictures.

The Pictures of the 2011 shaft i have seen look to be something like this, if someone with a 2011 can confirm for us, that would be great.

The 12 and 14s i have worked on however, are much beefier (maybe not stronger, but certainly bigger).

Now, we have never gone the magical "135" in our v6, BUT i believe that guy was on stock 2.73 gearing. We are running a 3.55 and slightly shorter tire, which brings our equivalent speed to around 100-105, which i know for a fact we have done several times during our road course sessions. Hell, our driveshaft could be ready to explode any second now, but it hasnt yet, so...
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:47 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I have been under a 12 v6, and 2 14 v6s, and the drive shafts are far and away different from what is found on a 2011 when i am looking at pictures.

The Pictures of the 2011 shaft i have seen look to be something like this, if someone with a 2011 can confirm for us, that would be great.

The 12 and 14s i have worked on however, are much beefier (maybe not stronger, but certainly bigger).

Now, we have never gone the magical "135" in our v6, BUT i believe that guy was on stock 2.73 gearing. We are running a 3.55 and slightly shorter tire, which brings our equivalent speed to around 100-105, which i know for a fact we have done several times during our road course sessions. Hell, our driveshaft could be ready to explode any second now, but it hasnt yet, so...
This picture right here you posted of that rusted two piece is what exactly was pulled from my 2011 3.7 when I replaced it with the one piece.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1452120416114.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	195521  
Old 01-06-2016, 04:53 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hmm, that's interesting, because it certainly does look improved. I'm still nowhere brave enough to try raising the limiter, but I wonder why Ford would leave it so low if they knew they solved the problem? There has to be someone out there who has taken off the governor and done a top speed run with the stock driveshaft in a 14!

This limiter is my biggest issue with my car performance wise, especially when my dad calls and tells me that he got his 2012 Focus Titanium up to 130. There is something wrong when your leading performance model gets outran by your four door sedan.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:57 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
This picture right here you posted of that rusted two piece is what exactly was pulled from my 2011 3.7 when I replaced it with the one piece.
Well that just killed my thinking.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:59 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colburt195 View Post
Well that just killed my thinking.
Lol. That was the one man. The exact same two piece crap

Old 01-06-2016, 05:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

So what's the 2 pc in volts first pic? A 2012?
Old 01-06-2016, 05:04 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I've got an oil separator and shifter bracket sitting around waiting to go on my car, then this is my next planned mod aside from new tires, so I'm very curious to see what mine looks like in comparison to these pictures.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:07 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Done 100-105 before on 3.73 gears but didn't notice anything strange on deceleration, strange being that we get the same vibrations when decelerating on our stock dual-mass flywheel so not sure if it might be one culprit or the other... I do know that my DS is still working haha but won't push the envelope to respond back with, "Yeah don't go over 110 on 3.73's"
kgallowaypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:13 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I'll bet the drive shaft companies, and others know the answer to whether the driveshafts have been improved since 2011 but why kill a good thing when your selling replacement shafts at $700+ each.
But then again why the limiters didn't change?
Looks like they have for the 15 and 16's V6's but not confirmed.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:38 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Those limits on the 15-16 still aren't touching what these cars can actually run though. It is still fishy

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 01-06-2016, 05:50 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So what's the 2 pc in volts first pic? A 2012?
Looks like a GT shaft, not a 3,7 at all. They all look like his second pick with the rusty one. Also I don't get the need to remove the limiter, there's no good reason on a public road and very few legal street tracks to hit those speeds. The car traps 100-107 in the 1/4 depending on mods.

Plus if you've changed put the gears to something g shorter that 135 number is lower. But the reality is relative to the number of 3.7 equipped cars the failure rate is likely well under 1%.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2016, 06:26 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Interesting. So now we break this down further. Do you happen to know if your car is a late model 2011, or early model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallowaypa View Post
Done 100-105 before on 3.73 gears but didn't notice anything strange on deceleration, strange being that we get the same vibrations when decelerating on our stock dual-mass flywheel so not sure if it might be one culprit or the other... I do know that my DS is still working haha but won't push the envelope to respond back with, "Yeah don't go over 110 on 3.73's"

You mention the flywheel, i wonder if its a matter of automatic or manual transmission as well...
Old 01-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Interesting. So now we break this down further. Do you happen to know if your car is a late model 2011, or early model?

You mention the flywheel, i wonder if its a matter of automatic or manual transmission as well...
My 2011 was purchased by me in October 2010. Do you consider that early or late 2011. Lol. I'm thinking early but not sure when my actual build date was.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:07 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Well damn, i'd say you probably cant get much earlier than that ... hmmmm what they heck is that other driveshaft then? I had a '13 5.0, but mine looked nothing like that.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:34 PM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Looks like a GT shaft, not a 3,7 at all.
Agreed. You can also see the center support (carrier) bearing that comes with the 5.0.
Quote:
They all look like his second pick with the rusty one.
Agreed again. The shaft removed from my 2013 V6 auto with Perf Pack also looked like the one in the pic.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:38 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well damn, i'd say you probably cant get much earlier than that ... hmmmm what they heck is that other driveshaft then? I had a '13 5.0, but mine looked nothing like that.
Volt, ha ha ha. I too was wondering to where that other driveshaft came from?? Good question.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:45 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

For what it's worth...
That 2nd pic with the rusty 2011 DS shows the identical DS this Shaftmaster article is replacing on a 2011 V6.
Shaftmasters 3.7L V6 Mustang Aluminum Driveshaft | A 3.7L V6 Mustang Owner Resource for Modifications and Repairs
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscomparison.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	195528

My 2014 v6 auto DS is closer to the 2 piece DS shown in the first picture but not identical. I'll have to go out tomorrow and try to get a picture of it.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:22 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have removed my governor . I have hit 130. I will definitely buy another drive shaft now that I feel like I got lucky. Any recommendations as to what I should upgrade to? Aluminum driveshafts please

iamcesarmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:24 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have removed my governor . I have hit 130. I will definitely buy another drive shaft now that I feel like I got lucky. Any recommendations as to what I should upgrade to? Aluminum driveshafts please.

iamcesarmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:31 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcesarmiranda View Post
I have removed my governor . I have hit 130. I will definitely buy another drive shaft now that I feel like I got lucky. Any recommendations as to what I should upgrade to? Aluminum driveshafts please

I highly recommend purchasing the one piece made by The Axle Exchange. American Muscle sells them and they are excellent top quality. It you were gonna have 900 rwhp pony, perhaps a better one would be needed but for majority of us. This is an excellent quality one piece aluminum driveshaft and when researching this topic I have never found any negative issues with it.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:18 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I've taken my '14 premium to 140 once before. Honestly I don't know how because I didn't turn my governed off and I didn't have a tuner at the time to change anything else. I felt a vibrations at about 120 when decelerating until about 115 then it passed and I haven't gone anything faster then 110 since then.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
wmelendez13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:18 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmelendez13 View Post
I've taken my '14 premium to 140 once before. Honestly I don't know how because I didn't turn my governed off and I didn't have a tuner at the time to change anything else. I felt a vibrations at about 120 when decelerating until about 115 then it passed and I haven't gone anything faster then 110 since then.
I'm confused here. Did you purchase the car new or used? And is it just a premium, no special packages? Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge no V6 package comes with a different driveshaft or governor, so I don't know how you pulled that off?
Old 01-07-2016, 01:13 AM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
For what it's worth...
That 2nd pic with the rusty 2011 DS shows the identical DS this Shaftmaster article is replacing on a 2011 V6.
Shaftmasters 3.7L V6 Mustang Aluminum Driveshaft | A 3.7L V6 Mustang Owner Resource for Modifications and Repairs
Attachment 195528

My 2014 v6 auto DS is closer to the 2 piece DS shown in the first picture but not identical. I'll have to go out tomorrow and try to get a picture of it.
I'd be curious to see that. My understanding was all the V6 cars had the crappy telescoping shaft like the rusty one pictured. I'd be surprised if Ford redesigned it for the '14 MY knowing how cheap they are.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:49 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Driveshaft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colburt195 View Post
I'm confused here. Did you purchase the car new or used? And is it just a premium, no special packages? Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge no V6 package comes with a different driveshaft or governor, so I don't know how you pulled that off?

I purchased it used from one owner. It still was pretty much all stock except for a cai. But like I said in the previous post I don't know how I managed to go that fast. With out something breaking or the governor kicking In. And its just the premium, no special package.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
wmelendez13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:08 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
I'd be curious to see that. My understanding was all the V6 cars had the crappy telescoping shaft like the rusty one pictured. I'd be surprised if Ford redesigned it for the '14 MY knowing how cheap they are.
Yeah...I'll have to get off my *** and go out in the cold soon. Have to start taking in the Xmas decorations. Then maybe drive it up on the ramps and try taking some pictures.
Report back later.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang