Any idea of HP/TQ gains from CAI after L/T headers? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-06-2016, 06:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Any idea of HP/TQ gains from CAI after L/T headers?

Anyone know or have and idea how much I can expect from an airaid CAI? Car has BBK Longtubes with Catted X-pipe and a Bama tune. Havent given the car an upgrade in a while, just poking around at idea at the moment. Thanks.
3.7L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2016, 06:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Do it more for the sound/look over power increase. You can find much more beneficial mods to put money towards over a CAI if you're looking for a performance bump.

That being said, I would presume having long tubes and an x-pipe would increase the performance gain slightly, but do not expect to actually gain whatever Airaid is marketing them with.

All this being said, I'm glad I purchased mine, but I have no experience with Airaid
Old 01-06-2016, 06:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If you can borrow an intake from someone and do the testing, i will analyze the data for you.

Very simple, same day, same car, same tank of gas, etc, same as Sakib and i did before.

Take 3 datalogs on a smooth stretch of road from like 2000 rpms to redline.

install intake and take 3 more logs on the same stretch of road and compare the differences.

That can be another stepping stone on the whole intake helping or not thing. It just takes controlled testing to be slightly more "definitive."
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2016, 06:50 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7L View Post
Anyone know or have and idea how much I can expect from an airaid CAI? Car has BBK Longtubes with Catted X-pipe and a Bama tune. Havent given the car an upgrade in a while, just poking around at idea at the moment. Thanks.
Zero gain.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colburt195 View Post
Do it more for the sound/look over power increase. You can find much more beneficial mods to put money towards over a CAI if you're looking for a performance bump.

That being said, I would presume having long tubes and an x-pipe would increase the performance gain slightly, but do not expect to actually gain whatever Airaid is marketing them with.

All this being said, I'm glad I purchased mine, but I have no experience with Airaid
What mods are much more beneficial
to put money toward for performance? I think having a CAI would really benefit the engine considering I have longtubes
Old 01-06-2016, 07:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
The stock intake is very close to a cold air and is not too restrictive for this motor. It is some what restrictive especially if you compare it to a round cold air but if you measure the air intake on factory vs the aftermarket you won't see much difference in velocity or volume. Especially when your still limited by the throttle body. Even when you do the cold air intake and throttle body it's not much gains compared to other mods.
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7L View Post
What mods are much more beneficial
to put money toward for performance? I think having a CAI would really benefit the engine considering I have longtubes
I'm not familiar with your mod list besides the long tubes, x-pipe, and tune, so going off of this I would suggest moving on to suspension or gearing. Better lower control arms with an upgraded panhard bar to reduce wheelhop would be in the same price range. If you are willing to give up some gas mileage, look into some gear kits, that's also in the same price range.

There are definitely more qualified people on this forum to push you in a different direction than me, but these are more the route I would take if you are talking performance wise. I didn't get my CAI for those reasons, I just like the look and sound, so that being said, if that is what you are feeling, go for it!
Old 01-06-2016, 09:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
If you can borrow an intake from someone and do the testing, i will analyze the data for you.

Very simple, same day, same car, same tank of gas, etc, same as Sakib and i did before.

Take 3 datalogs on a smooth stretch of road from like 2000 rpms to redline.

install intake and take 3 more logs on the same stretch of road and compare the differences.

That can be another stepping stone on the whole intake helping or not thing. It just takes controlled testing to be slightly more "definitive."
Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately i do not have access to a CAI that I can install/uninstall in a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colburt195 View Post
I'm not familiar with your mod list besides the long tubes, x-pipe, and tune, so going off of this I would suggest moving on to suspension or gearing. Better lower control arms with an upgraded panhard bar to reduce wheelhop would be in the same price range. If you are willing to give up some gas mileage, look into some gear kits, that's also in the same price range.

There are definitely more qualified people on this forum to push you in a different direction than me, but these are more the route I would take if you are talking performance wise. I didn't get my CAI for those reasons, I just like the look and sound, so that being said, if that is what you are feeling, go for it!
Thanks for the input, but I don't really need suspension mods, at least not at this time. Only have a few hundred to spend. If im going to do suspension i'd want pricey stuff haha.

I understand that the Stock intake and a CAI preform similarly when tested on a stock vehicle. What I am wondering is how the two will preform when compared on a vehicle with longtubes. After uninstalling the stock manifolds it was crazy how restrictive they looked when compared to longtubes. That being said I wonder if now that the exhaust is free'd up if the stock intake can "keep up" I dont think that the stock intake and CAI would compete at the same level now that the exhaust is more open. Just a thought..
Old 01-15-2016, 12:22 PM   #9

Region: Other
CIA in it best reaults will add 4 - 6 HP on wheels
abdulrahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdulrahman View Post
That's what I would guess with long tubes. Nothing that I can feel, but not bad for a cai
Old 01-15-2016, 01:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdulrahman View Post
I would say it doesn't add any, just for looks and sound. On a boosted application you would see gains.
-SOLD-13.246s@107.81 RaceRed 2013 v6 Mustang, 3.73 gears, MPT 91Race Tune, Axle-Back Straight Pipe, Tower Brace, BMR LCA's, BBK Shorty Headers, BMR Relocation Brackets, Lethal Performance X-Pipe Catless.
-2008 Civic SI...
RaceRed3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
The gains would be negligible at best. If you want more noise or to clean up the engine bay, go for it. But get some gains from it.....not so much.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:46 PM   #13
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Zero gain.
Scotty is dead wrong! It sounds and looks cool! That counts for gains in my book. Seriously, gains are negligible at best and even then arguable.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
CAI is eye candy and sounds great when WOT. Worth the money but don't expect any real HP and torque gains.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai