Finally bit the bullet and got my gears! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-11-2016, 01:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 155
Finally bit the bullet and got my gears!

So after debating and debating and debating... I finally did it. I ordered 4.10 gears. I keep seeing a debate about 3.73 and 4.10's. I said screw it lemme get the 4.10's on my v6 pony. I do a lot of highway driving, but being miami... its stop and go. So idk how that will go. But to be honest i dont really care. Shifting to me is second nature and I feel i will be very happy with the results.

What do you guys think? You guys have 4.10 on your daily v6? Or 3.73? 3.55??

I have 2.73 currently and the acceleration sucks. I went against a tuned GTI at the track some time ago and lost but a tiny bit. As soon as the gears are in and past the break in period hes going down!!
martinez8191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-11-2016, 01:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
oxfordwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Hawkins Bar
Region: California
Posts: 603
That's gonna be a big change! She's going to sound like she is sceemin at 70.
Your going to have to learn to short shift. Better practice before going after that GTI. He'll never know what happened.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 155
well i have an o/r h and atak's. at 3k rpm it literally screams. It gets a bit higher pitched than normal. Actually, with these new gears the RPM's will be different. So will it still sound like that at 3k rpm? Or do you think it will still scream but at a higher rpm?
martinez8191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-11-2016, 01:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
oxfordwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Hawkins Bar
Region: California
Posts: 603
IDK. But yer gonna find out. I know one thing for sure, You'll definitely be
turning some RPM's at 70.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff
 
Strange Mud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Small Town
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 5,058
at 3K it'll sound the same you'll just be going slower. If you asked how it's gonna sound at 70 I'll say it'll be screaming louder
__________________
2012 V6 traded for a 2017 VW GTI
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Catonsville
Region: Maryland
Posts: 694
Auto or manual? The auto won't be too bad but she'll definitely scream with the mt82

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
__________________
2013 SGM 3.7 | MPT Tune | JBA Titanium Ceramic Shorty Headers | MGW Gen 1 | Blowfish Street Bracket | BBK TB | 18" Charcoal AMR | FRPP 3.55 | BMR LCA | Steeda Panhard Bar | Dynotech 3.5" Driveshaft |
mariusvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Auto or manual? The auto won't be too bad but she'll definitely scream with the mt82

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Manual Im not a fan of auto haha I'v had stick my past two cars. Only my first car was an auto. it was a 97 GEO Prizm. xD
martinez8191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Auto or manual? The auto won't be too bad but she'll definitely scream with the mt82

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Actually according to the AM gear calculator the auto will pull more Rpms at 75 then the manual.
This chart is for 4.10s.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1452546697079.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	195684  
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
oxfordwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Hawkins Bar
Region: California
Posts: 603
Cool chart! 2650 at 75, that's not so bad. I know our Force 2's at 2500 sound off a bit. It's gonna be loud in your cabin with your exhaust.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Diehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Reading
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Actually according to the AM gear calculator the auto will pull more Rpms at 75 then the manual.
This chart is for 4.10s.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
That looks strange since the manual transmission gears shows higher ratios at all but 4th gear.??? What am I missing.
Gears______1st______2nd______3rd______4th______5th______6th
Manual____4.23:1___2.53:1___1.66:1___1.23:1___1.00:1___0.70:1
Automatic__4.17:1___2.34:1___1.52:1___1.43:1___0.86:1___0.69:1

Edit: Also, there's no reference to tire size.??
Where did you find this on AM? I can't seem to find it.
__________________
____________________________________________________
14 V6 auto, MCA, PP, BBK Shorties, MMD Hood Struts, Borla Touring A/B's, MAC ProChamber, aFe drop-in Filter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:16 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
oxfordwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Hawkins Bar
Region: California
Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
Cool chart! 2650 at 75, that's not so bad. I know our Force 2's at 2500 sound off a bit. It's gonna be loud in your cabin with your exhaust.
Guess I should wear my glasses at putor. 2450 ain't it?
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:31 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
That looks strange since the manual transmission gears shows higher ratios at all but 4th gear.??? What am I missing.
Gears______1st______2nd______3rd______4th______5th______6th
Manual____4.23:1___2.53:1___1.66:1___1.23:1___1.00:1___0.70:1
Automatic__4.17:1___2.34:1___1.52:1___1.43:1___0.86:1___0.69:1

Edit: Also, there's no reference to tire size.??
Where did you find this on AM? I can't seem to find it.
Choose the gear you want, view product details, tech specs.
The difference between auto and manual is almost not noticeable on the highway.
I was torn between 4.10s and 3.73s and decided in the end on 3.73s, great pull off the line and a bit better mpgs on the highway.
Its just a general chart to give people an idea of around where they will be at what speed with what gear. Tire size will change rpms depending on size but the gap in rpm between the auto and manual should remain the same.
Btw OP first is going to be pretty damn near useless with 4.10s except for burning up your tires and putting a smile on your face! πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1452562214332.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	195695   Click image for larger version

Name:	1452562231356.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	195696  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1452562244843.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	195697  
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
C013RA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mill Creek
Region: Washington
Posts: 124
For the track, I can see 4.10's, but for a daily driver, the 3.73's are better. I have talked to other people, who installed them for daily drivers, and they ended up hating the 4.10's.
__________________
Had 5 Mustangs. the last two were a Black 2012 GT/CS lowered, custom wheels, Airaid CAI, Flowmaster Outlaws, BAMA tune, MMD hood struts, Raxiom Black Halo headlights, 13-14 tail lights, & Raxiom Taillight adapters. Removed the 2012 GT/CS stripe (black on black sucks) Replaced with 13-14 Silver GT/CS stripes. I now have a 2015 Magnetic Gray Premium GT with Performance Pack, Borla's, Velgen 20" wheels with Nitto Invos with 275's up front,and 295's in the rear. Airaid CAI, JLT oil separator.
C013RA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:46 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
AngryTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Los angeles
Region: California
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by C013RA View Post
For the track, I can see 4.10's, but for a daily driver, the 3.73's are better. I have talked to other people, who installed them for daily drivers, and they ended up hating the 4.10's.
This^

I went with 3.73 from 2.73 and really like the accel now. 1st gear is pretty much useless now with the 3.73. I can get the car moving from a dead stop in 2nd. I can't imagine 4.10s on a manual. Short shifts indeed. You'll need a tune to adjust your speedo, or if no tune is wanted, you can change them using your tuner. So enjoy how much more "Awake" your pony will feel. πŸ‘
AngryTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:14 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTech View Post
This^

I went with 3.73 from 2.73 and really like the accel now. 1st gear is pretty much useless now with the 3.73. I can get the car moving from a dead stop in 2nd. I can't imagine 4.10s on a manual. Short shifts indeed. You'll need a tune to adjust your speedo, or if no tune is wanted, you can change them using your tuner. So enjoy how much more "Awake" your pony will feel. πŸ‘
I have my BAMA Tune ready to upload as soon as I get the gears installed.
martinez8191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:12 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
AngryTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Los angeles
Region: California
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez8191 View Post
I have my BAMA Tune ready to upload as soon as I get the gears installed.
Nice! I would also look at MPT. I have both Bama and Mpt tunes. I prefer the MPT. More of an aggressive ride, even on manuals. Autos will have firmer shifts.
AngryTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTech View Post
Nice! I would also look at MPT. I have both Bama and Mpt tunes. I prefer the MPT. More of an aggressive ride, even on manuals. Autos will have firmer shifts.
I looked into the MPT tunes. But since I had already gotten the tuner from Bama im sticking with them for now. Later on I might get MPT once im finished with the V6. Def will check them out if I get my GT before then though
martinez8191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:24 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Diehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Reading
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,112
Theoretical Results

Click image for larger version

Name:	gears vs speed.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	195742
__________________
____________________________________________________
14 V6 auto, MCA, PP, BBK Shorties, MMD Hood Struts, Borla Touring A/B's, MAC ProChamber, aFe drop-in Filter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:12 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 155
So why does everyone say that if you do a lot of highway driving with 4.10's it will suck and good in town? I drive to and from work on the highway everday but up until a certain point its kind of stop and go. Miami traffic for ya.
martinez8191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:12 PM   #20
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez8191 View Post
So why does everyone say that if you do a lot of highway driving with 4.10's it will suck and good in town? I drive to and from work on the highway everday but up until a certain point its kind of stop and go. Miami traffic for ya.
You are revving higher in 6th with 4.10s vs. say 2.73s at 70 MPH.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:31 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
jek57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: New York
Posts: 503
If you don't plan on racing it and it's your dd i would stick with 3.55s or 3.73s
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:05 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek57 View Post
If you don't plan on racing it and it's your dd i would stick with 3.55s or 3.73s
It is my daily and I do plan on taking it to the track. I just always hear people saying they wish they had gotten 4.10 after they get the 3.73's so I decided screw it why not. hehe
martinez8191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:11 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez8191 View Post
So after debating and debating and debating... I finally did it. I ordered 4.10 gears. I keep seeing a debate about 3.73 and 4.10's. I said screw it lemme get the 4.10's on my v6 pony. I do a lot of highway driving, but being miami... its stop and go. So idk how that will go. But to be honest i dont really care. Shifting to me is second nature and I feel i will be very happy with the results.

What do you guys think? You guys have 4.10 on your daily v6? Or 3.73? 3.55??

I have 2.73 currently and the acceleration sucks. I went against a tuned GTI at the track some time ago and lost but a tiny bit. As soon as the gears are in and past the break in period hes going down!!
I got 3:73 gears for my 3.7 and couldn't be happier.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:16 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Catonsville
Region: Maryland
Posts: 694
Those AM gear charts are wrong. They might simply be reversed in the labeling but its impossible the auto will turn more rpms with a taller 6th gear. As noted above, the mt82 has shorter gearing everywhere but 4th, which means it will naturally run higher rpms.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
__________________
2013 SGM 3.7 | MPT Tune | JBA Titanium Ceramic Shorty Headers | MGW Gen 1 | Blowfish Street Bracket | BBK TB | 18" Charcoal AMR | FRPP 3.55 | BMR LCA | Steeda Panhard Bar | Dynotech 3.5" Driveshaft |
mariusvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:55 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Those AM gear charts are wrong. They might simply be reversed in the labeling but its impossible the auto will turn more rpms with a taller 6th gear. As noted above, the mt82 has shorter gearing everywhere but 4th, which means it will naturally run higher rpms.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Either or, the difference is almost irrelevant between the two.


Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bit the bullet... bought nitrous setup! fivepointwut 2011-2014 Mustang GT 84 08-13-2014 07:53 PM
Is there a good bit of improvement in acceleration going from 2.73 to 3.31 gears ??? GT 1 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 11 07-09-2014 09:08 PM
Bit the bullet and.. StolenSinner09 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 10 06-27-2014 11:35 PM
Bit the bullet and got 410s Slow4V 1996-2004 Mustang GT 30 09-10-2013 10:13 PM
I got bit by a spider tonight drummerstang98 The Bar 32 08-06-2004 12:04 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



01:56 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.