Advice on next mods? :) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-12-2016, 07:40 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Advice on next mods? :)

Sup guys! Thanks to everyone that has helped out with my stang its very much appreciated. I have always liked Mustangs but didnt get one until May of last year. So to be honest, im learning as I go and am getting loads of help from you guys.

What do you guys suggest my next mod should be? I have so far a Steeda CAI, Lethal performance H, Borla ATATK's, and installing 4.10 gears this weekend. I need new tires and rims... badly... lol. What size do you guys suggest? I have currently 17's i believe. From what I have read 18/9 or 18/10's are good? My budget for rims and tires coming up for income tax season is about $1000.
Also, i know suspension should be changed as well. What do you guys suggest on that? Its all stock for now on that part.
martinez8191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2016, 07:49 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Have you read the beginners sticky? It's got a lot of good info on every aspect of your car for first mods. Check it out.

2012 Kona Blue MCA 3.7
Ford Racing Axelbacks
Airaid CAI
TrevorMCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:03 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorMCA View Post
Have you read the beginners sticky? It's got a lot of good info on every aspect of your car for first mods. Check it out.

2012 Kona Blue MCA 3.7
Ford Racing Axelbacks
Airaid CAI
I have but im still at a loss with suspension and nothing is mentioned on tires and sizes. As for suspension, im still kind of in the dark about shocks and struts, springs, coilovers. Im not sure what it is that I need to feel a nicer ride. Not really big on lowering either I wanna keep it at the height its at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2016, 08:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I have the factory 17's and this spring I will be stepping up to the 18's along with new wheels. I see no really benefit to go any bigger for me so 18's are great.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:13 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
We got 18x9's. Did not lower car, need the ground clearance up in Nor-Cal. Very happy with the way car looks. Got the wheel & tire package from AM. Bout $1500 mounted, balanced and shipped. Great people to work with. Helped us get the right thing.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:43 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Im considering 18x9's all around. That seems good right? Without the sensors because AM told me i can just swap em from my old tires. It wont be too heavy to drag me down but will have good grip correct?
Old 01-12-2016, 09:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I would go 18s over 19s. I made the mistake of getting 19s for my car and didnt realize how much more expensive the tires were. You will comfortably be able to fit a good 255 on a 9" rim usually, and depending on which 18 x 9 you get you should be in the low 20 lbs per rim. All in all i'd say thats a decent package for a bolt on v6.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:09 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez8191 View Post
I have but im still at a loss with suspension and nothing is mentioned on tires and sizes. As for suspension, im still kind of in the dark about shocks and struts, springs, coilovers. Im not sure what it is that I need to feel a nicer ride. Not really big on lowering either I wanna keep it at the height its at.
I have the stock 18/8 wheels on mine, I may go a little bigger in the future to 19's, but I'm not sure.

I understand your hesitation with the suspension mods, I've been there. However, it's a HUGE improvement over the stock setup. If you don't want to buy coils a set of Koni yellows and Steeda Ultralites will do the job. The ride height will be a little lower, 1.25" in the front and 1.5" in the back, but the handling of the car will be a very noticeable upgrade. That is pretty much what I am running right now with my coilovers, I never scrape, I'm a little more cautious over speed bumps to be safe, but I'm not super low.

If you search in this forum, I'm sure you'll find a thread somewhere that will answer your questions.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:21 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooperV6 View Post
I have the stock 18/8 wheels on mine, I may go a little bigger in the future to 19's, but I'm not sure.

I understand your hesitation with the suspension mods, I've been there. However, it's a HUGE improvement over the stock setup. If you don't want to buy coils a set of Koni yellows and Steeda Ultralites will do the job. The ride height will be a little lower, 1.25" in the front and 1.5" in the back, but the handling of the car will be a very noticeable upgrade. That is pretty much what I am running right now with my coilovers, I never scrape, I'm a little more cautious over speed bumps to be safe, but I'm not super low.

If you search in this forum, I'm sure you'll find a thread somewhere that will answer your questions.
its not that im hesitant its that im not sure what to get or what i need. I have done a bit of research but for some reason suspension gets me confused. Like lets say struts and shocks. I read somewhere that cars use either one or the other, but then i see that a lancer has both for sale. I say lancer because i was doing some research for my cousin. And for the stangs im sure iv seen both shocks and struts. And springs are for lowering mostly? I hate to be picky and sound like a kit but idk why lol for some reason suspension gets me confused -_-

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I would go 18s over 19s. I made the mistake of getting 19s for my car and didnt realize how much more expensive the tires were. You will comfortably be able to fit a good 255 on a 9" rim usually, and depending on which 18 x 9 you get you should be in the low 20 lbs per rim. All in all i'd say thats a decent package for a bolt on v6.
255?
Old 01-12-2016, 09:40 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
its not that im hesitant its that im not sure what to get or what i need. I have done a bit of research but for some reason suspension gets me confused. Like lets say struts and shocks. I read somewhere that cars use either one or the other, but then i see that a lancer has both for sale. I say lancer because i was doing some research for my cousin. And for the stangs im sure iv seen both shocks and struts. And springs are for lowering mostly? I hate to be picky and sound like a kit but idk why lol for some reason suspension gets me confused -_-
Okay, lets say you go with Koni yellow shocks and struts as well as Steeda Ultralites, the struts are in the front and the shocks are in the rear, so you will need a pair of each. The spring rate, along with the dampening setting, will determine how stiff your ride will be. The springs also determine the ride height, and unlike an air ride or coilover setup you won't be able to adjust the ride height, which isn't a bad thing, it's just personal preference.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:13 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
wheels & tyres

We're running the Nitto 555' s 255/45-18. Really good tires. Not to bad in the rain either. Car has really great stance, way wider than the stock pizza cutters. Our wheels are deep dish and the edge of tire comes right even with body of car, looks great!
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:41 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
We're running the Nitto 555' s 255/45-18. Really good tires. Not to bad in the rain either. Car has really great stance, way wider than the stock pizza cutters. Our wheels are deep dish and the edge of tire comes right even with body of car, looks great!
What does the 255 mean?
Old 01-12-2016, 10:55 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
What does the 255 mean?
Width of tire sir, 215,235's, 255, 275 315's etc

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:02 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Ohhhh I see. I was under the impression that it would have been 18x9 and the 9 is the width of the tire. I get it now
Old 01-12-2016, 05:49 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
With your budget i suggest getting some gt track pack take off rims for $400-700 with tires then use the rest for suspension
superdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:26 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Ohhhh I see. I was under the impression that it would have been 18x9 and the 9 is the width of the tire. I get it now

9 is width of rim

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 01-12-2016, 08:21 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

As was stated, 9" is the width of the rim. For best handling, sidewall stability, and just overall tread contact with the pavement, i try to target a tire whose tread width matches my rim width, or is slightly (within 1/2") under.

These are the tire's i'll be putting on my fiance's v6 here pretty soon for our track days, but the same concept can be applied to a street car / tire set up. A 245/ 40 / 19 (racing on spare track pack rims, eventually we'll have her some 18 x 10s) Bridgestone Re-11 has a section width of 8.7". I could go with a 245 / 35 / 19 to get exactly 9" section width, but you'll also notice that tire is only about 26" tall, whereas the 245 / 40 / 19 is closer to the 27" i try to target. Its a balance, but i feel this will give us optimum handling for a tire this size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tires.PNG
Views:	104
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	195751  
Old 01-12-2016, 08:55 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
As was stated, 9" is the width of the rim. For best handling, sidewall stability, and just overall tread contact with the pavement, i try to target a tire whose section width matches my rim width, or is slightly (within 1/2") under.

These are the tire's i'll be putting on my fiance's v6 here pretty soon for our track days, but the same concept can be applied to a street car / tire set up. A 245/ 40 / 19 (racing on spare track pack rims, eventually we'll have her some 18 x 10s) Bridgestone Re-11 has a section width of 8.7". I could go with a 245 / 35 / 19 to get exactly 9" section width, but you'll also notice that tire is only about 26" tall, whereas the 245 / 40 / 19 is closer to the 27" i try to target. Its a balance, but i feel this will give us optimum handling for a tire this size.
Are you sure about the section width? I thought section width is always slightly wider than rim width.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:08 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Are you sure about the section width? I thought section width is always slightly wider than rim width.
Whoops, you're 100% right, i meant tread width. I'll edit my OP, thanks for catching that.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:59 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Whoops, you're 100% right, i meant tread width. I'll edit my OP, thanks for catching that.
That's what I figured you meant to say.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #21
Kevin.Cook

Might I suggest whistle tips? Its that WOOO WOOOOO!

Old 01-13-2016, 06:11 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post

Hey kevster is alive

Vote Ox Mustang of the Year 😬👍🏻
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:20 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post

Lmfao

Old 01-14-2016, 07:15 AM   #24
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosariors3 View Post
Lmfao

I am no longer in the foreign car scene but I felt REALLY bad for that 240sx.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:52 AM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
A 240 is one of a handful of "import tuner" cars I'd buy to modify and enjoy driving.

240SX
2nd Generation MR2 Turbo
FD RX7
Miata
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang