Blew my 2012 engine*****Need advice on next engine/upgrade - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-14-2016, 01:12 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy J View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses. So what led to the demise of the previous engine you ask? I adjusted the rev limiter with my tuner and since im a 45 year old who immediately went into a benjimen butner style age reversal & turned 19 everytime i got on a back road (there are plenty of backroads where i live) i put the poor engine through way more than it was designed to handle. So i guess u could say i let a 19 yearold beat it up... I purchased one on ebay for $1200 + shipping & i will let the dealer put it in. I've been feverishly searching all the mustang blogs since this happened the other day & have found no less than 5 instances where the good folks at bama tunes strongly advised against adjusting the parameters inside of their tunes. So yeah, now i feel exponentially stupid. Call it a $4000 lesson...
same boat as you 68 and still feeling 18. still have my 1970 boss 429 and love the drag strip on weak ends to keep this retired master tech happy.
weakest link in the 3.7 v6 really lays in a small pin that aligns the lower cam chain drive gear in the crankshaft, repeated red lines into the rev stop can cause the pin to work lose and shear off. those throwing the cam timing off .when it fully shears off we can put 24 valves into the pistons blowing up the motor.
other wise the motor is super strong .
here is the link to what can happen DTC CODE P0019 Crank Sensor Issue | A 3.7L V6 Mustang Owner Resource for Modifications and Repairs
captchas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016, 01:27 PM   #37
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
good 1st post...welcome to Mevo
Old 01-14-2016, 04:22 PM   #38
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
good 1st post...welcome to Mevo
+1. Great info!
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016, 09:45 PM   #39
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
Pretty impressive to blow one of these 3.7s. They're pretty hardy.

IG: the_notorious_vig_
Hmm, not my experience. Lost 2 engines due to overboost - when it went over 10lbs on the turbo lost pistons and head gaskets. I don't know how these other guys are claiming to run 10 or 15 lbs; their gauges have to be off. And as far as LPF, anything they have to claim I take with a grain of salt based upon how they "marketed" their offering. If you listen to that video of him beating the Vette with a procharger, the vette driver was shorting shifting the entire pass.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:20 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Hmm, not my experience. Lost 2 engines due to overboost - when it went over 10lbs on the turbo lost pistons and head gaskets. I don't know how these other guys are claiming to run 10 or 15 lbs; their gauges have to be off. And as far as LPF, anything they have to claim I take with a grain of salt based upon how they "marketed" their offering. If you listen to that video of him beating the Vette with a procharger, the vette driver was shorting shifting the entire pass.
Perhaps the tune you were running was off! The 3.7 block can easily handle 450-500 rwhp on factory internals but key is the tune

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:20 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
And a video surfaced of them cracking open a nitrous bottle in the engine bay during their dyno run....
Do not take anything they say seriously. Plus I got this message less than a week ago.
I can not stress it enough when I say do not trust them...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1452831650840.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	195807  
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:30 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
And a video surfaced of them cracking open a nitrous bottle in the engine bay during their dyno run....
Do not take anything they say seriously. Plus I got this message less than a week ago.
I can not stress it enough when I say do not trust them...

Wow, holy cow. That's horrible.

2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:59 PM   #43
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Perhaps the tune you were running was off! The 3.7 block can easily handle 450-500 rwhp on factory internals but key is the tune

The first tune was off. Switched from Blow By Racing to MPT after that. The second tune the data log was running when the engine let go and the tune was fine, it was just too much boost for the pistons when it went over 10 lbs.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:38 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
The first tune was off. Switched from Blow By Racing to MPT after that. The second tune the data log was running when the engine let go and the tune was fine, it was just too much boost for the pistons when it went over 10 lbs.

I'm at 10 psi so far and no problems

The car was actually at 12 psi when we made 550/485. The tuner said we could have made a good amount more but we didn't want to push it too far.

Also the guy that bought alrefire's lpf kit was making 600+ on 15 or 16 for a while but then his car caught fire when his motor mount broke and an oil line messed up

Ig: 3.7_THOR

2011 3.7 mustang
Eric e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:35 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
What really irritates me is we went to street car takeover to watch, where they basically just do roll racing on the drag strip. The starts are anything but organized, cars were starting all sorts of different times and places. At any rate, the lpf car got to the end first, so they "claimed the win," but the vette out trapped them by like 10 mph or something if i remember ... hardly call that a win, especially with how whacky all the starts were.

Also, power and boost are not synonymous. Its also possible to increase cylinder pressure by advancing the intake cam, so it can be possible to have more cylinder pressure with less boost (all else equal) if your tune is commanding more advance. There are a lot of factors to consider.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:55 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
What really irritates me is we went to street car takeover to watch, where they basically just do roll racing on the drag strip. The starts are anything but organized, cars were starting all sorts of different times and places. At any rate, the lpf car got to the end first, so they "claimed the win," but the vette out trapped them by like 10 mph or something if i remember ... hardly call that a win, especially with how whacky all the starts were.

Also, power and boost are not synonymous. Its also possible to increase cylinder pressure by advancing the intake cam, so it can be possible to have more cylinder pressure with less boost (all else equal) if your tune is commanding more advance. There are a lot of factors to consider.
More boost is safer than more timing
That's why I sold the mmr/manley pistons and am buying diamond pistons w/ 9.5 cr

alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang