Building engine - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-15-2016, 05:04 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
yeah, i mean i love my car and all, don't get me wrong....but i just don't see myself modding it like crazy instead of just buying a 5.0. for the amount that they're looking at here.. idk. i love the sound of a v8, won't lie, and you just can't recreate that beastliness with our 3.7.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2016, 05:56 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I said I was going to contact them, as in regard to their build not go with their kit. I said numerous times that I was going with jmp twin turbo kit. I just wanted to know about their build and what internals they used to get the numbers that they did safely.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:07 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Wait you said you were taking a hefty loan out... then you don't have the resources the bank does. If that is the case, sell your V6 and take out a used car loan at a WAY lower interest rate than a personal loan and pick up a Coyote.

This statement alone means you have done zero due diligence. Like at all. Stop, and re-evaluate. To be blunt, if you are having to take out a "hefty" personal loan to build your car... don't. You'll run out of money, you'll have no more to properly finish it, you'll wind up with it sitting for some time while you try to come up with the capital to finish it and then in the end you'll put it back to stock (if you can) cut your losses and be making payments on a loan you got nothing out of.

I guess I should've said that I'm not buying there kit, I want to talk to them because they are the only people that I know of that has pushed the sixxer to the limits. I just want some insight on their engine build. And also for all the people saying I'll "run out of money". I just recently started working at a job paying more than I can ever spend so the loan wouldn't be a problem. I also distinctively remember don't comment on the post talking about get a 5.0. Like someone said earlier built 5.0's are a dime a dozen, I just want to build on the 3.7 and see what the capabilities are. But it seems like no one on here is willing to give any helpful insight, all I've seen on here is get a 5.0 or you will run out of money. That's not the question In my OP, I just wanted to know if anybody knew of a build that I could do to the 3.7 that would result in the numbers I want. If you can't answer that question then there's no point in commenting on the post.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2016, 06:25 PM   #39
Staff
Regular
Staff

So this is a company that has already screwed multiple people out of thousands of dollars and you are going to go with them for advice?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:32 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So this is a company that has already screwed multiple people out of thousands of dollars and you are going to go with them for advice?

I don't know how else to else to say this, I think your misunderstanding. I'm fully aware that they are a terribly company to buy products from, I already know which company I'm going with. But there is also no doubt that they built a pretty stout 3.7

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-15-2016, 06:36 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

I was just informed that jmp is building a high hp 3.7l so i will probably just piggyback off of his build.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-15-2016, 06:36 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris44117 View Post
I guess I should've said that I'm not buying there kit, I want to talk to them because they are the only people that I know of that has pushed the sixxer to the limits. I just want some insight on their engine build. And also for all the people saying I'll "run out of money". I just recently started working at a job paying more than I can ever spend so the loan wouldn't be a problem. I also distinctively remember don't comment on the post talking about get a 5.0. Like someone said earlier built 5.0's are a dime a dozen, I just want to build on the 3.7 and see what the capabilities are. But it seems like no one on here is willing to give any helpful insight, all I've seen on here is get a 5.0 or you will run out of money. That's not the question In my OP, I just wanted to know if anybody knew of a build that I could do to the 3.7 that would result in the numbers I want. If you can't answer that question then there's no point in commenting on the post.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
To my knowledge, the power you want from our 3.7's is something of a build that is rare rare rare rare rare. I know of one other build 3.7 that it pushed around 900 rwhp if I recall. I don't recall his name but you can ask around on the Facebook Cyclone page. Its only for 3.7 owners. 99% of the people who own 3.7's will not drop 25k plus into an engine rebuild and FI.

Majority slap bolt on mods and call it a day. Few install turbo, super or nitrous, crank it up to 450-500 rwhp and done. Guys just aren't building 800-900 rwhp 3.7's. Don't get me wrong, I think its cool as balls you want to build it and rock out.

How much exact power you looking to build for?

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:37 PM   #43
Staff
Regular
Staff

Call JMP and talk to them if you are really serious about this. You know... The company you want to spend $7k with and has plenty of experience with fast 3.7L engines and is not a bunch of criminals.

But you do you. Take out a big loan to do a build and then get advice from a crooked speedshop. What could go wrong?

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:43 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

I was just informed that jmp is building a high hp 3.7l so i will probably just piggyback off of his build. I didn't now that jmp has actually pushed the 3.7 to the extent that lpf has. Honestly, after considering it I will probably just install the twin turbo this year and get all the bells and whistles. Pay it off In a year, then spend 2017 building the engine. Unless jmp proves to build a reliable engine sooner.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-15-2016, 06:59 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
That's awesome you got a job making more money than you could ever spend. You must be pulling down a few million a year. Congrats bro. 25k will be pennies on the dollar to you. If you need any help spending your paychecks, hit me up

Old 01-15-2016, 07:04 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
That's awesome you got a job making more money than you could ever spend. You must be pulling down a few million a year. Congrats bro. 25k will be pennies on the dollar to you. If you need any help spending your paychecks, hit me up

Lol maybe that's how much YOU would need to make. I'm sure you probably have a family and actual bills. Everyone's case is different, personally I'd rather not get into my personal life as that has nothing to do with the question at hand. Just know I'll be able to pay it off, I'm not saying it'll be a breeze but I'll be able to pay it back and live comfortably. So how about we just focus on the build please?

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-15-2016, 07:08 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol maybe that's how much YOU would need to make. I'm sure you probably have a family and actual bills. Everyone's case is different, personally I'd rather not get into my personal life as that has nothing to do with the question at hand. Just know I'll be able to pay it off, I'm not saying it'll be a breeze but I'll be able to pay it back and live comfortably. So how about we just focus on the build please?

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Sounds great bro. Looking forward to you completing the build. Good luck!

Old 01-16-2016, 07:29 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
I've already destroyed a few pistons, I'm head deep into the build. I talked to Voltwings about this earlier, but the 5.0 mt82's gearing is much better than the 3.7's

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
yes a bit. and not to start a flame war, that comes from a deeper hardening of the gears and the internal ratios being able to handle more torque. the v6 has a vw bettle like first gear of 4.24 while the 5.0 is 3.66,which as in the past with older 4 speeds like a top loader, a Muncie's even a t 10 or super t10 help increase how much torque a trans can handle

as a side note the tr56 and 6060 in the Shelby's have 1st gear ratios of 2.97 in 2011 and 2.66 in 2013 along with triple ring sycro's ver our old weak t5 like double ring which have long been prone to breakage issues. and handle way more power, and why I choose to put a t56 behind the 347 in my factory 5 cobra I just finished and got titled

other wise as a retired tech and in my mind. the mt 82 is not truly capable of a ton of extra power. ford has had it built to handle just so power much along with it being built in china where cheating on specs is all so common
captchas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:37 AM   #49
Staff
Regular
Staff

And the autos are USA made for now... Just saying

Old 01-16-2016, 07:47 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
And the autos are USA made for now... Just saying

yes that I'm thankful for. I have a v6 mt 82 from my own car, on my work bench right now. what I see I don't like.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:23 AM   #51
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by captchas View Post
yes that I'm thankful for. I have a v6 mt 82 from my own car, on my work bench right now. what I see I don't like.
I'm yoinking that pdf... IIRC the autos are actually going to be made in Mexico at a few new plants now but I'll still take that any day of the week over the MT82 made in China. But all the 11-14 6R transmissions are US and A.

I forget exactly what is different about the 6R in the V6 but I think its a little weaker. Not a crazy amount and I don't think you'd need to do anything for a turbo car at 500whp except a converter. I know the MT82 first gear ratio is stupid bonkers high and ppl still keep putting 3.73s and 4.10s in them...

Old 01-16-2016, 09:03 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

scott
maybe this one will help you there, they do beef up the v8 auto over the v6. I have yet to have a new 6 speed auto apart but the old 5 speeds had bugs we dealt with for years that thanks to the after market were able to beat.
other wise one show on powerblock tv did twist a v8 way up with only changing the TC to a higher stall
Old 01-16-2016, 02:36 PM   #53
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
I don't know how else to else to say this, I think your misunderstanding. I'm fully aware that they are a terribly company to buy products from, I already know which company I'm going with. But there is also no doubt that they built a pretty stout 3.7

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
I don't think he, or anyone else, misunderstood. Going to LPF for advice is suspect -as is their build claims; and many people have had doubts that they "built a pretty stout 3.7" since they haven't seemed to be very forthcoming with back up. So what he was saying is that any advice you get might not be the best thing to rely upon.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:08 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I don't think he, or anyone else, misunderstood. Going to LPF for advice is suspect -as is their build claims; and many people have had doubts that they "built a pretty stout 3.7" since they haven't seemed to be very forthcoming with back up. So what he was saying is that any advice you get might not be the best thing to rely upon.
I understand, thank you. I'm just going to get the twin turbo kit and wait for jmp to build his engine.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-16-2016, 03:40 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
I understand, thank you. I'm just going to get the twin turbo kit and wait for jmp to build his engine.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1

Send me a message with your Facebook info and I can get you in contact with him. So that you can ask questions about the engine build and stuff

Ig: 3.7_THOR

2011 3.7 mustang
Eric e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:40 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

corrected pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by captchas View Post
scott
maybe this one will help you there, they do beef up the v8 auto over the v6. I have yet to have a new 6 speed auto apart but the old 5 speeds had bugs we dealt with for years that thanks to the after market were able to beat.
other wise one show on powerblock tv did twist a v8 way up with only changing the TC to a higher stall
I managed to change the pdf to show a extra clutch disc in each clutch pack of the v8 over the v6
Old 01-17-2016, 03:33 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

I talked to jack from jmp and he said to get 800-900 hp. I would need diamond Pistons, pauter rods, head and main studs and oil pump gears. Which is cheaper than what I thought I needed. Excluding transmission and suspension mods.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-17-2016, 03:40 PM   #58
Registered Member

Regular

Region: North Carolina
Good deal, I hope you actually go through with it and build it! I would love to see it work out.
Mods: Cervini Stalker Hood, Roush highflow upper and lower grill, AirRaid CAI, LMR strut tower brace,Mac LT headers,Mac Prochamber, Kooks Highflow Cats,Dynomax Race Bullets (resonators), 2.5 o/a pipes, 2011 Gt500 Axlebacks, MPT 93 performance tune.
alucard3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:26 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Building engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard3600 View Post
Good deal, I hope you actually go through with it and build it! I would love to see it work out.

I will, hopefully I will have my finances together in the next half year. So I will try and do it over the summer.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-17-2016, 05:56 PM   #60
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Here is what I would do if I were you..............get your loan for $35,000 (and your collateral is going to be what?).

1. Build a really good camp fire.
2. Take $8,000 of that money, and throw it into the fire.
3 Take what's left, and trade your car in on a 2012 GT500, or find a good used 5.0 and then supercharge it.

You will be happier, your car will run better, handle better, and be worth more when you are done with it.
You are dreaming if you think that the 3.7 will RELIABLY produce anywhere near the kind of HP you are talking about here.
Sorry if this sounds flippant, but a 900 HP 3.7 is not going to run very long. Even if you get the engine to last, the driveline --- transmission, driveshaft, pinion gears, axles, etc, are going to be VERY short lived --- so plan on big bucks in continued maintenance and replacement costs throughout the car. You can't plan on building it and having it run forever without doubling your build costs for maintenance.
Look at it this way --- with a budget of MILLIONS of $$'s, Ford got their EcoBoost V6 GT Pro Series Race Car to RELIABLY produce 600 HP.......you will never get to 800 or more --- not gonna happen.
This is what a multi million $$ 800 HP V6 looks like:

http://image.superstreetonline.com/f...ne-display.jpg

It is indeed beautiful, but also wasn't built in someone's garage............
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:33 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Building a 3.7 to 800+ is a complete waste of a boat load of cash!
Just throw some bolt ons and maybe a turbo, have some fun and call it a day.

30k investment on a 3.7....... someone needs their head examined!

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:46 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

What can the 6R80 handle reliably power wise? What mods would one need to build the 6r80 to handle 800 plus Rwhp

Old 01-17-2016, 06:52 PM   #63
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
What can the 6R80 handle reliably power wise? What mods would one need to build the 6r80 to handle 800 plus Rwhp
Notice that they say the transmission will last "for a season!".........

Exedy Stage 2, Exedy Stage 1 6R80 Friction Kits are our answer for the daily driven Mustang up to 500 HP
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:15 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

I was already planning on switching to a t56 tranny and switch out the driveline and such. This was all included in my cost, I understand it it way out of the norm. I just don't understand why everyone is putting the build down. I completely understand the risks, I understand the maintenance involved and everything. The fact is that this is what I want to do, and if the car gives me problems with high hp I will definitely just run lower boost and be happy with that. I am not going to run a high hp setup everyday, that is going to be a track day only deal. But I do want to be able to run about 600-650 on the street. I definitely see where you all are coming from, but this is the build that I want to pursue.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-17-2016, 07:18 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Well for 1 a 900hp mustang with a manual is going to take a good driver.

And seems like you have no experience with a high HP car, so I see disaster

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:24 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Well for 1 a 900hp mustang with a manual is going to take a good driver.

And seems like you have no experience with a high HP car, so I see disaster

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Can the automatic 6R80 safely handle 600 rwhp?

Old 01-17-2016, 07:26 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can the automatic 6R80 safely handle 600 rwhp?

Yes

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Old 01-17-2016, 07:40 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Yes

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Thanks sir

Old 01-17-2016, 07:41 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks sir

No problem

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Old 01-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #70
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
I was already planning on switching to a t56 tranny and switch out the driveline and such. This was all included in my cost, I understand it it way out of the norm. I just don't understand why everyone is putting the build down. I completely understand the risks, I understand the maintenance involved and everything. The fact is that this is what I want to do, and if the car gives me problems with high hp I will definitely just run lower boost and be happy with that. I am not going to run a high hp setup everyday, that is going to be a track day only deal. But I do want to be able to run about 600-650 on the street. I definitely see where you all are coming from, but this is the build that I want to pursue.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Because we all see disaster that's why. Your first post was basically asking "what all do I need to make 800-900rwhp" and then about taking out a personal loan to do a $30k build.

Nothing about that is going to turn out well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang