Building engine - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-17-2016, 08:55 PM   #71
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
^ and why put yourself through all this when there are so many other ways to achieve it for less?

Vote Ox Mustang of the Year 😬👍🏻
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2016, 09:19 PM   #72
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
^ and why put yourself through all this when there are so many other ways to achieve it for less?
I agree, there certainly are better ways.............but so far the answer is because he thinks he can, and certainly wants to.............to the OP........we all wish you luck, and wish you would listen to us.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:56 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Well for 1 a 900hp mustang with a manual is going to take a good driver.

And seems like you have no experience with a high HP car, so I see disaster

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$

Where exactly are you getting your information from about my driving?

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2016, 10:04 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris44117 View Post
Where exactly are you getting your information from about my driving?

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1

Starters the loan to build a motor says a lot

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:51 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Part of the reason for the responses is how you asked the question. You have it phrased as asking for a cookie cutter guide to building a 900 HP car expecting a list of parts you can add and be done and have a reliable 900 HP car with no strings attached. Similar JMPs response that you posted.

What people are saying is that with high performance cars there is no perfect receipt to building a car. You can duplicate what they did and blow the engine at half the boost they threw at it. If the tune is slightly off you will blow the engine. And even if you take it to a reputable shop and it blows there are no warranties, etc. And this is just the engine not considering the rest of the car (transmission, suspension, rear end, etc.). This is all part of the game when your dealing with that kind of power.

I've known a few people who built cars to 800+ and its a long and costly process, drive-ability definitely goes to zero where it was basically a track car or going to car shows, along with little issues consistently coming up due to the car not being made to handle that amount of HP. Although there are fun times just be prepared for the down time, frustration, and money that will need to be spent.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:59 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Starters the loan to build a motor says a lot

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$

That's the price I added up with all the parts and install that shops quoted me for. Personally I have never done quite a build like this but I have a little bit of seat time in a 1000 hp Cummings. Of course it's a different vehicle but there was a lot less parts that had to be replaced in that truck compared to the 3.7. But I'll happily be the dumbass that blows a whole lot of dough on his 3.7 and it may or may not hold up. From most of the shops I talked to they like the idea and they say according to weight and power it will be faster down the strip than a 5.0 with the same power. I honestly know what I need to do to get the power, I just wanted some insightful suggestions instead of "get a 5.0". But from most of the comments on this thread the only person who seems to be building their engine is alrefire. I fully understand what you guys are telling me, but it's hard to take suggestions from people who haven't built their 3.7 or pushed it. It sounds like a lot of you are just piggybacking off of other people's comments which is usually how this whole forum works. I'm not saying you guys are wrong but I'd rather hear it from someone who has tried it and actually blown their engine. Solobusa blew his engine at 600whp on stock internals so I don't see why 800 would be hard to achieve with forged internals. I will post the results and progress in this forum when it should be done in the summer.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-17-2016, 11:00 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Part of the reason for the responses is how you asked the question. You have it phrased as asking for a cookie cutter guide to building a 900 HP car expecting a list of parts you can add and be done and have a reliable 900 HP car with no strings attached. Similar JMPs response that you posted.

What people are saying is that with high performance cars there is no perfect receipt to building a car. You can duplicate what they did and blow the engine at half the boost they threw at it. If the tune is slightly off you will blow the engine. And even if you take it to a reputable shop and it blows there are no warranties, etc. And this is just the engine not considering the rest of the car (transmission, suspension, rear end, etc.). This is all part of the game when your dealing with that kind of power.

I've known a few people who built cars to 800+ and its a long and costly process, drive-ability definitely goes to zero where it was basically a track car or going to car shows, along with little issues consistently coming up due to the car not being made to handle that amount of HP. Although there are fun times just be prepared for the down time, frustration, and money that will need to be spent.
Amen, you speak the truth! I'm happy with my slow a$$ 300 rwhp 3.7. Looks good, sounds good, can whoop those Nissan Sentra's all day long. Just throw some bolt on's and call it a day. Lol

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:06 PM   #78
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
That's the price I added up with all the parts and install that shops quoted me for. Personally I have never done quite a build like this but I have a little bit of seat time in a 1000 hp Cummings. Of course it's a different vehicle but there was a lot less parts that had to be replaced in that truck compared to the 3.7. But I'll happily be the dumbass that blows a whole lot of dough on his 3.7 and it may or may not hold up. From most of the shops I talked to they like the idea and they say according to weight and power it will be faster down the strip than a 5.0 with the same power. I honestly know what I need to do to get the power, I just wanted some insightful suggestions instead of "get a 5.0". But from most of the comments on this thread the only person who seems to be building their engine is alrefire. I fully understand what you guys are telling me, but it's hard to take suggestions from people who haven't built their 3.7 or pushed it. It sounds like a lot of you are just piggybacking off of other people's comments which is usually how this whole forum works. I'm not saying you guys are wrong but I'd rather hear it from someone who has tried it and actually blown their engine. Solobusa blew his engine at 600whp on stock internals so I don't see why 800 would be hard to achieve with forged internals. I will post the results and progress in this forum when it should be done in the summer.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
1 - If you had seat time in that pickup you'd know what they are actually called.

2 - No shop that is worth anything is going to make a blanket statement like that.

Anyway, all the luck in the world to you and I hope you do get it done. But... Good luck.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:13 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Done this summer or summer of 2018? You did say 2 years

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 01-17-2016, 11:29 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
1 - If you had seat time in that pickup you'd know what they are actually called.

2 - No shop that is worth anything is going to make a blanket statement like that.

Anyway, all the luck in the world to you and I hope you do get it done. But... Good luck.

I'm sorry I assumed people knew what a Cummins is. But a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 to be specific, I'm sure you still don't even know what that is. But you can look up on google. I have had 3 shops tell me that it was achievable, but like I said we will see.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-17-2016, 11:32 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post

I admit I asked the question like i could get a blanket statement answer, I apologize for that. To rephrase my OP, I basically wanted to know which brand forged pistons, rods, crank, etc. Thank you for making the first insightful comment on this post!

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-18-2016, 07:50 AM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm sorry I assumed people knew what a Cummins is. But a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 to be specific, I'm sure you still don't even know what that is. But you can look up on google. I have had 3 shops tell me that it was achievable, but like I said we will see.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Yeah, because they want you to pay them to do it ... what shop in their right mind would turn down a build?

I am telling you this is a bad idea because i have done it. I had a 550 whp mazdaspeed3, and tuned several others in the Houston area, all between about 475 and 550. With all the time, money, driveability quirks, maintenance, do you know how many of the ... about 7 people i tuned still have their cars? 1. 1 person still does, and we just spent the weekend replacing his $1100 clutch (40k miles of 500+ whp aint bad), his passenger side axle because it literally sheered the splines from the power, and rerouting his PCV lines again because we're still having blow by issues and i had to rig up this super complicated dual catch can system to catch oil during DD and vent CC pressure during boost.

Also, don't kid yourself into thinking that weight is going to be the difference between you winning or losing against a 900 whp v8, at those power levels weight is almost meaningless. The v8 will also have the grunt to spool faster, and if you're talking 1/4 races, you'll basically already have lost by the 60'. These are just harsh realities. The reason we are all saying this is a bad idea is because most of us know what it is like to sink tons of money into a build and still not be happy with it.

I honestly don't think you're going to go through with it, if you even get approved for a $35K+ personal loan the interest is usually around 7-10%. How good is your quick math? After 5 years of payments you're looking at roughly $55-60K for this build, again, assuming everything goes 100% right the first time.

Another thing is that when you have that much power, its never the obvious things that break. Sure, you can throw the strongest transmissions in a car, the strongest engine, the strongest clutch... but there's more to it, and there's always little things that are going to be breaking. I have a buddy with a 1300 whp GT500 whose car makes so much torque he tore the snout off his crank. I have a buddy with a high (for a miata) horsepower miata who blew up a hub mid corner and lost a wheel and shredded the brake and suspension components. I have seen suspension pieces crack, i have seen bushings ripped off, i have seen a charge pipe pop and blow a hole in a hood, i have seen a car have a set of spark plugs that failed (the ceramic core deteriorated) and all the debris shredded a $1700 turbo, i have seen a lot of things go wrong on builds people have spent a lot of money on.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:21 AM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

^ op of that doesn't change ur mind good luck with the build👍🏻

Old 01-18-2016, 10:08 AM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

I got pre-approved with a 3% interest rate, but I did the math and understand at the end of the day I'll be forking out more than 30k. I'll just revive this thread when the build get going.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-18-2016, 10:18 AM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Good grief......

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

3% for a personal loan? I need to switch to your bank. Keep us posted.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

OP, I can't wait bro. Very excited for the build. Keep us posted

Old 01-18-2016, 11:22 AM   #88
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
I got pre-approved with a 3% interest rate, but I did the math and understand at the end of the day I'll be forking out more than 30k. I'll just revive this thread when the build get going.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
For a $30k personal loan?

Bull****.

I unsubscribed from this thread once because its literally turning into a troll thread but could not resist calling that one out.

As we all have been saying good luck. You're gonna need it... (said in Han Solo voice).

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Banks aren't that dumb to give someone a $30,000 loan on a personal loan at that with only 4% interest to upgrade their vehicle that is such a high risk for them. your car isn't even worth that much. This thread just doesn't make sense you had said that you were looking at $10,000 and if it wasn't going to cost you more that you would have to wait a couple years now you're saying you got preapproved already and the bill will be complete this summer. Between asking all these questions and deciding to go through with this you already got preapproved for a loan? That's just unheard of. Honestly I hope you prove all is wrong because if you don't you're really gonna look like an a$$

Old 01-18-2016, 01:05 PM   #90
Registered Member

Regular

Why has nobody brought up the fact that he said he is now making more money than he could ever spend but he is taking out a loan,

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:47 PM   #91
Registered Member

Regular

Voltwings,
Your above post about experience with high HP, highly stressed engines is one of the best in this thread. On point experience always shows.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:06 PM   #92
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Why has nobody brought up the fact that he said he is now making more money than he could ever spend but he is taking out a loan,

I've honestly just been posting to see how much crap will keep getting talked.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:16 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I've honestly just been posting to see how much crap will keep getting talked.

This is why I'm going to stop commenting until the build is underway.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-18-2016, 02:25 PM   #94
Registered Member

Regular

Here is a partial list of what it takes to get an EB to 900 HP....an engine designed from the get go to be turbocharged..........

The 900-hp four-cylinder turbo gets its muscle from a host of serious upgrades. Bisimoto added AEM electronics like a new ECU with boost controller, flex fuel sensor, and fuel pressure regulator; forged billet pistons; Five O Motorsport fuel injectors; Golden Eagle cylinder sleeves, fuel rail, and air intake; MagnaFuel fuel pump; NGK Iridium spark plugs; custom head work; a Turbonetics turbo with an internal wastegate and blow-off valve; a Spearco intercooler, and more. Bisimoto’s own design team built a Web Level 2.4 camshaft, custom exhaust, 360-degree oil cap, steel rods, intake heat shielding gasket, and more.

To handle all the extra grunt is a big BuddyClub four-piston brake kit, KW INOX V3 coilover suspension, Progress Technology performance sway bar set, 19-inch wheels, and Toyo R888 tires. Inside is a full Watson Racing roll cage, data logger, Momo racing seats, and Gulstrand Engineering racing harness. The exterior gets a custom body
from Airdesign USA, along with a vinyl and powder-coat paint for a blacked-out look.

Still sure you want to go there?
Old 01-18-2016, 02:42 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Guys,
IF you want to go Fast and have a Mustang you can past down & or Sell later, get a Shelby / Roush. Being One of a Kind is Cool, but throwing Money at a 3.7 is a losing proposition. And I Luv mine.
The Coyote has ready available parts, programs and support.
& The Number 1 reason to buy the Shelby / Roush, Wait for it, You Never Have to Explain WHY! Just stand there and Smile. Unless your Jordan. Ha!
Captain Ron 3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:57 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This is why I'm going to stop commenting until the build is underway.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
That's right bro. Don't let anyone rain on your goals. Build it and they will come. You can do it man. These guys don't know all about the 3.7 and I for one can't wait until its built.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:27 PM   #97
Registered Member

Regular

My main point here is if you are making a good amount of money save up awhile and pay for things straight up.

natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:45 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

The problem with that is the OP will have to wait and we will have to wait for the build. Better the OP does it now that way he can enjoy the build. He may not be here a year from now so enjoy it now.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:30 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
My main point here is if you are making a good amount of money save up awhile and pay for things straight up.

I could do this, I guess I'm just impatient. I'm definitely getting the twin turbo kit by this summer if anything. Then get the internals forged by winter, but I'm going to really try and get it all done by summer.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-18-2016, 06:34 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I could do this, I guess I'm just impatient. I'm definitely getting the twin turbo kit by this summer if anything. Then get the internals forged by winter, but I'm going to really try and get it all done by summer.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
I'm actually thinking of doing a supercharger and turbocharger set up in my 3.7.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:44 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

😉

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1453164241079.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	195942  
Old 01-18-2016, 06:53 PM   #102
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Building engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I'm actually thinking of doing a supercharger and turbocharger set up in my 3.7.

Twincharged or compound boost?
That would be awesome to see!

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:56 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Twincharged or compound boost?
That would be awesome to see!

Pick your poison.
Oh yeah man. How awesome would that be to have a supercharger and turbocharger on the same car?,Hummmmmmmm! Could always break into the kids college fund. Ba ha ha

Old 01-18-2016, 07:01 PM   #104
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Tell them they need to work harder in school and get a scholarship. Cause the cash is going to the Cyclone!

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:03 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Tell them they need to work harder in school and get a scholarship. Cause the cash is going to the Cyclone!

Pick your poison.
Exactly bro. They can get school loans. Because! Cyclone! Ha ha

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang