Building engine - Page 6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-20-2016, 03:15 PM   #176
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
The people (like me) telling him this is a bad idea are those who have done similar in the past. I didn't listen when I was his age and understand that he won't listen and he'll probably tell some other 20 year old similar advice to what we are giving him in 10-15 years and they won't listen.

If he wants to save up the $$$ and get it all done that's one thing. Not the smartest thing maybe but you only live once and no monthly payments to worry about. Doing a personal loan to do this is going to be a financial disaster. And everyone says/thinks they are going to pay it off early. Till you get other expenses, want to be able to take the GF out, or you decide to buy a house after getting sick and damn tired of living at home or your job situation changes etc... Debt free=freedom. I personally found that out the hard way and only now am coming out of it. I do not wish it on anyone else.

Basically, those of us who are telling him that he's stupid for taking out a loan to do this are only telling him this because we are trying to help, not because we think building a V6 is stupid or want to see him fail because we are mean or something.
Totally understand that. You guys are just trying to help. The advice given is solid and makes great sense but some people have to learn on their own. I say build build build!

I would highly recommend the OP join the Cyclone social Facebook page as well because its only for 3.7 owners and if a 900 rwhp has been created for the 3.7, they would be on it and people their would know who the person is. There are hundreds of 3.7 members on it and their are some high performance 3.7 owners there.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2016, 03:39 PM   #177
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
The people (like me) telling him this is a bad idea are those who have done similar in the past. I didn't listen when I was his age and understand that he won't listen and he'll probably tell some other 20 year old similar advice to what we are giving him in 10-15 years and they won't listen.

If he wants to save up the $$$ and get it all done that's one thing. Not the smartest thing maybe but you only live once and no monthly payments to worry about. Doing a personal loan to do this is going to be a financial disaster. And everyone says/thinks they are going to pay it off early. Till you get other expenses, want to be able to take the GF out, or you decide to buy a house after getting sick and damn tired of living at home or your job situation changes etc... Debt free=freedom. I personally found that out the hard way and only now am coming out of it. I do not wish it on anyone else.

Basically, those of us who are telling him that he's stupid for taking out a loan to do this are only telling him this because we are trying to help, not because we think building a V6 is stupid or want to see him fail because we are mean or something.

Thank you for clarifying, I'm going to try and save up as much as I can so I don't have to take out a huge loan. After reading some of the comments I may try and save the full amount but then the project will get pushed back to next winter.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:40 PM   #178
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Totally understand that. You guys are just trying to help. The advice given is solid and makes great sense but some people have to learn on their own. I say build build build!

I would highly recommend the OP join the Cyclone social Facebook page as well because its only for 3.7 owners and if a 900 rwhp has been created for the 3.7, they would be on it and people their would know who the person is. There are hundreds of 3.7 members on it and their are some high performance 3.7 owners there.

I was not aware of this page but I will check it out immediately thank you.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2016, 04:22 PM   #179
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris44117 View Post
This is why I'm waiting until the summer to start it so if something happens then I can ride my motorcycle until I figure something out.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
If you really do achieve 700+ HP it will not be a matter of IF something happens but WHEN something happens. Whenever you double the stock power things are going to break. May not be major things like engine failure but you should almost expect minor things here and there. Realistically if the car runs more then it doesn't you will be doing good. Most people who do builds like this either enjoy the process of working on cars and do it themselves or have extremely deep pockets to pay a shop. Because there will likely never be a point where your done and just change the oil every 3k if you get to the power levels you are wanting.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:19 PM   #180
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was not aware of this page but I will check it out immediately thank you.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
It's a great forum and a wealth of knowledge on the 3.7. Its people who strictly own 3.7's.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:29 PM   #181
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
If he pulls this off, ALOT OF YOU WILL BE EATING CROW. So will it be broiled or grilled?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:31 PM   #182
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
If he pulls this off, ALOT OF YOU WILL BE EATING CROW. So will it be broiled or grilled?
Crispy! Lol

Old 01-20-2016, 08:35 PM   #183
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Building engine

Dead and deep fried! -James Carter L.A.P.D.

Pick your poison.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:51 PM   #184
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Lol not really. Nobody is saying it can't be done nor that he would not get approved for at least some amount of the $$$ to do it via a loan at whatever the rates are.

All we are saying is taking out a personal loan to do a car build is cray.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:01 PM   #185
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol not really. Nobody is saying it can't be done nor that he would not get approved for at least some amount of the $$$ to do it via a loan at whatever the rates are.

All we are saying is taking out a personal loan to do a car build is cray.
I want to see the longevity of the 900 rwhp 3.7. Some people may not care about a car lasting 150k miles. I do because I keep my cars until they no longer are financially worth fixing. I'll keep a car for 20 years if nothing is wrong with it because unlike some, I don't need the latest model of a car.

I don't change vehicles every couple of years. I plan on keeping my 3.7 for 200k plus miles. It may take me 15 more years to get there but that's just fine with me. I'll gladly run around in a 20 year old mustang with its original paint.

So, the real question is, how much is it going to cost for upkeep to keep the vehicle running and not blowing stuff up!

Old 01-20-2016, 11:26 PM   #186
Staff
Regular
Staff

900hp anything with a stick shift is going to eat clutches left and right if he's tracking it at the 1/4 mile on a regular basis.

That's another thing I kind of did a shifty eye thing at when he posted he was going to do a T-56.

This is a job for a built 4R or a 6R80 conversion. Almost every car at this power level at the tracks I have been at have been autos.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:57 PM   #187
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
900hp anything with a stick shift is going to eat clutches left and right if he's tracking it at the 1/4 mile on a regular basis.

That's another thing I kind of did a shifty eye thing at when he posted he was going to do a T-56.

This is a job for a built 4R or a 6R80 conversion. Almost every car at this power level at the tracks I have been at have been autos.
I was thinking the same thing. A car at that power level people are running automatics not manual

Old 01-21-2016, 07:54 AM   #188
Staff
Regular
Staff

Also he would be much slower at the 1/4 with a stick shift at those levels. Like... up to a full second.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:27 AM   #189
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Just let this thread die already.. Let it die like the count to 10000 backwards thread. It's useless.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 01-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #190
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No I am not paying mom for my medical insurance, one of the reasons is because it's a family plan so even if I opted for my own medical she would still have the same insurance plan since my dad and brother are on it. The main reason I'm on her plan is because our family as a whole gets the most benefits from her plan since she's in the medical field. They cover far more medical expenses than my job or my dads job would cover. I wash my clothes and sheets but as far as the house goes we have a maid come and clean it once a week. Believe me I try to help out with the bills but my mother is a nurse anesthetist and she's been in the field for a few decades so u can estimate how much she makes because I'm not going to put her salary on a forum. Now I'm assuming your just not familiar with Georgia colleges because every state is different. But in Georgia if you have a GPA of 3.0 and above then you qualify for HOPE. HOPE pays for most of my tuition and I have a couple scholarships that pay for the rest. Only thing I have to pay for is books. So basically the state is paying for me to go to school because I'm actually making good grades.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
That is awesome congrats on the HOPE!!! I lived right next to Columbus, Georgia; In Alabama. Also keep me updated with what you are planning, we are all curious about your build and so on!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
bamaboy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:24 AM   #191
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
here's some information that you should know before you dive in headfirst....
My $1400 cost for sleeves was inaccurate. I was confusing it for something else. it's 1895 for sleeves, and an extra 250 for them to use a torque plate (which you better use lol). that does not include the cost of shipping it to LA sleeves (in CA) and back.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:06 PM   #192
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy2014 View Post
That is awesome congrats on the HOPE!!! I lived right next to Columbus, Georgia; In Alabama. Also keep me updated with what you are planning, we are all curious about your build and so on!!!

Thanks man and I definitely will.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-22-2016, 07:11 PM   #193
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
here's some information that you should know before you dive in headfirst....
My $1400 cost for sleeves was inaccurate. I was confusing it for something else. it's 1895 for sleeves, and an extra 250 for them to use a torque plate (which you better use lol). that does not include the cost of shipping it to LA sleeves (in CA) and back.

Yah I contacted them a couple days ago and they said the same thing. I'm honestly trying to add up the cost of EVERYTHING which is very difficult since there's so many parts that go into this type of build. I'm struggling trying to figure out how much the engine build will cost. But I was checking out BES racing website, and I might just send my engine there to get built.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-23-2016, 03:07 PM   #194
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yah I contacted them a couple days ago and they said the same thing. I'm honestly trying to add up the cost of EVERYTHING which is very difficult since there's so many parts that go into this type of build. I'm struggling trying to figure out how much the engine build will cost. But I was checking out BES racing website, and I might just send my engine there to get built.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
I live near Canton, Ohio and there is a guy who has build motors from Skylines all the way to pulling tractors. If you want the number just pm me I'LL give you the munber and you can tell him what you want.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:11 AM   #195
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
chris your in GA have you not talked with supersix motor sports in Atlanta GA yet? these guys are of the few in the USA that can help you,
also you may want to spend some time looking though this web site, A 3.7L V6 Mustang Owner Resource for Modifications and Repairs , this 11 v6 was the prototype car used for a lot of what we now know about,
captchas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:26 AM   #196
Registered Member
Regular

correct

Quote:
Also he would be much slower at the 1/4 with a stick shift at those levels. Like... up to a full second.
agree scot.
a auto would help a lot. time slips are why a custom powerglide is being used in the CPO camaro's and ford using a gm turbo 400 in the cobra jet Exclusive First Look! Ford’s 1,000hp Cobra Jet Mustang
Old 01-29-2016, 08:41 AM   #197
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by captchas View Post
chris your in GA have you not talked with supersix motor sports in Atlanta GA yet? these guys are of the few in the USA that can help you,

also you may want to spend some time looking though this web site, A 3.7L V6 Mustang Owner Resource for Modifications and Repairs , this 11 v6 was the prototype car used for a lot of what we now know about,

I have talked to super six motorsports multiple times, I wasn't to impressed with the stroker kit that was offered. But after talking to him yesterday, he says they now offer a billet crank, with stronger I beam rods and even stronger Pistons for around 5k I believe so I'll just be going with the stroker kit. Thanks for the link also, and I know I'll lose a lot of Time staying standard transmission, it's a decision I'm still wavering as I love having going through gears on the street. For I decide to go make this vehicle into a full race spec car then I'll definitely go auto.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-30-2016, 07:30 AM   #198
Registered Member
Regular

super six built the blower 4.0 in my avatar so I can't say anything negative about them and the motor has stood up to 8 years of abuse so far .
they are among the best of the few in the USA building v6's for racing with parts only available though them .

your not alone in wanting to build a 3.7 i'm there also as I love blowing away ricers with a usa made v6 at the local track, no street racing for me, not at age 68 anyway.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:03 AM   #199
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
super six built the blower 4.0 in my avatar so I can't say anything negative about them and the motor has stood up to 8 years of abuse so far .
they are among the best of the few in the USA building v6's for racing with parts only available though them .

your not alone in wanting to build a 3.7 i'm there also as I love blowing away ricers with a usa made v6 at the local track, no street racing for me, not at age 68 anyway.

Wow ok you have definitely reinforced my perspective of them, every shop in Georgia has told me to just stick with them so thats what I'll do, and for about 7k of engine work that's not a bad deal. I'll just have to put my trust in them. 8 years sure is a long time, that's great news, thank you.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-30-2016, 10:39 AM   #200
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

Yea, they are really pushing the limits, they currently have my heads and cams for SS valves and turbo cam regrinds. They have made a lot of ginetta owners happy as well
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:53 AM   #201
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
You just described half of the junior enlisted force in the military. What happens when you give a 19/20 year old a good paying job and benefits and literally zero financial skills besides "pay all bills on time" and they think that finances will be easy.
^1
Probably the truest thing I've heard hahah I could take a picture of my parking lot with all the project Cars it's insane, or all the "car for sale take over loans" when people EAS hahaha

Sent from my E5306 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
swhitfield2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:06 PM   #202
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Remember some day you may want to sell this car and you will limit the number of people who will want it and will get less than 50% of what you put into it , if it hasn't blown up, once or twice. Over building a small motor is not the best way to spend your money. Get a Mustang GT 350R and have fun with a car that is already done and will handle much better than a V/6.
2013 RedMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:37 PM   #203
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 RedMustang View Post
Remember some day you may want to sell this car and you will limit the number of people who will want it and will get less than 50% of what you put into it , if it hasn't blown up, once or twice. Over building a small motor is not the best way to spend your money. Get a Mustang GT 350R and have fun with a car that is already done and will handle much better than a V/6.

I'm aware of all the consequences.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-31-2016, 04:12 AM   #204
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 RedMustang View Post
that is true but one major upside for someone under the age of 25 is your insurance company goes by the model and vin number of the car and ones age for their already out of hand rates .
the cyclone v6 is one strong beast on the bottom end, the alloy bores can be the major issue with very few shops doing sleeves properly
Old 01-31-2016, 05:00 AM   #205
Registered Member
Regular

for those who think high hp out of a v6 is not possible. here is a 3.5 e boost pushed to 600 by a very good well known shop in MI.
EcoBoost Build: 600 Horsepower EcoBoost 3.5 Street Build
Old 01-31-2016, 06:10 AM   #206
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
for those who think high hp out of a v6 is not possible. here is a 3.5 e boost pushed to 600 by a very good well known shop in MI.
That pretty much just told me I'm getting a Taurus SHO for my next car for sure

Old 01-31-2016, 06:58 AM   #207
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy2014 View Post
That pretty much just told me I'm getting a Taurus SHO for my next car for sure

i'll be dead frank !I drove a 15 sho for a test drive, that beast left me with skid marks in my skivvies scarie ride if your not ready for those turbo's to spool up as fast as they do
now is there a way to drop a 3.5 ecoboost into a 11 up stang
Old 01-31-2016, 10:13 AM   #208
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:

Nobody said Its not possible. We're saying that it will be nearly impossible for the OP to have a 8-900 hp v6 without have major reliability issues.

And the link you had is apples to oranges from the 3.7 that is in the mustang. 1. They only made 600 HP and probable put 15-20 grand in the build to achieve the results. 2. when dealing with forced induction it is always easier and cheaper to increase HP when dealing with a platform that is already setup for forded induction (such as the Eco boost)

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:17 AM   #209
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i'll be dead frank !I drove a 15 sho for a test drive, that beast left me with skid marks in my skivvies scarie ride if your not ready for those turbo's to spool up as fast as they do
now is there a way to drop a 3.5 ecoboost into a 11 up stang
Now that would be sweet to drop the 3.5 ecoboost SHO engine swap. I like the sound of that

Old 01-31-2016, 11:53 AM   #210
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Nobody said Its not possible. We're saying that it will be nearly impossible for the OP to have a 8-900 hp v6 without have major reliability issues.

And the link you had is apples to oranges from the 3.7 that is in the mustang. 1. They only made 600 HP and probable put 15-20 grand in the build to achieve the results. 2. when dealing with forced induction it is always easier and cheaper to increase HP when dealing with a platform that is already setup for forded induction (such as the Eco boost)

I agree but I stated previously that I wouldn't DD at 8-900 hp. I would turn down the boost generously. That high hp would only be used for the track.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang