Rear sway bar - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-14-2016, 05:28 AM   #1
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Rear sway bar

So my Granatelli sway bars came in (35.25mm front / 24mm rear). ($125 for both new so I couldn't say no. My thinking was if they didn't work out, I don't have much invested in them so I can always swap back to factory bars. So before everyone pounces, yes, I get that a one piece sway bar is superior to anything welded from two or three. With that said you see where this is going. The front bar is one piece construction. The rear clearly was made from three pieces welded together. One of the welds is at the 90 degree bend which will take away from its strength. My question is how common are three piece welded rear sway bars?
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016, 04:50 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Hoping Voltwings will have some input.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Old 01-14-2016, 09:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Thank you for the info on the welded rear sway bar. Glad I held off on these sway bars. Ive seen GT take offs in the price range you paid. Stock GT bars are very close to the size you got. I want to upgrade on my 14 vert, guess I'll keep looking.
Thanks again & good luck.
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016, 10:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

As long as it was designed well, and the welds were done properly, there is no real issue.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:43 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton CIT View Post
Hoping Voltwings will have some input.
Lol, i've been watching but really wasn't sure so i didn't say anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
As long as it was designed well, and the welds were done properly, there is no real issue.
I guess at this point i'll offer my thoughts, but they're nothing more than that.

IF the welds were done properly and have proper penetration, they should be stronger than the surrounding metal, so assuming cheap metal wasn't used you're probably alright. A sway bar is essentially a giant torsion spring though, and all of the load is being put pretty much on that 90* joint, so that is a big IF. I imagine in anything but all out racecar driving you will never see a problem though.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Lol, i've been watching but really wasn't sure so i didn't say anything.

I guess at this point i'll offer my thoughts, but they're nothing more than that.

IF the welds were done properly and have proper penetration, they should be stronger than the surrounding metal, so assuming cheap metal wasn't used you're probably alright. A sway bar is essentially a giant torsion spring though, and all of the load is being put pretty much on that 90* joint, so that is a big IF. I imagine in anything but all out racecar driving you will never see a problem though.
What I forgot to mention earlier is the elephant in the room with a welded joint. After you perform the calculations necessary to determine the needed weld height and width (simple algebra, located in any mechanical engineering design book or manual), you also would want to perform some sort of post weld heat treatment (material dependent on which process, and how effective it will be; some materials will not accept this at all) to the bar to minimize the heat affected zone. The heat affected zone is an area where the heat from arc welding (followed by rapid cooling after the arc is terminated) causes the material to become much more brittle due to a change in the crystal structure, and internal stresses resulting from rapid cooling.

Currently, I do use a three piece bar on one of the race cars. The below picture should explain it. Anyone in the deep end of racing will have already seen something like this (very common design, strangely, none on the market for the S197). I like this bar, because it is infinitely adjustable (just make a new splined center section), and it can be adjusted in less than two minutes with the car on the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20151006_012.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	195815  

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 03:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
jande063
Just curious.
I remember the effects of cooling heated metals at different rates, from high school, but not familiar with welding. Are welds for something like this typically rapidly cooled?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:55 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Thanks guys. I got some comfort from this. Pending no snow, tomorrow is driveway day for install. I'll let everyone know.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:51 AM   #9
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Only the folks here in the forum will appreciate this. My morning project was to get the rear sway bar installed before the snow started. I ended up racing against the weather and finished just as the snow began to accumulate (not even 1/4" yet). All pleased with myself for beating the snow; streets wet and the first fluff of winter beginning to show white over the asphalt... (Yes, I'm trying to sound poetic.) Temperature dropping, raising the windshield wiper blades on the other cars in the driveway to keep them from freezing in the snow and even a touch of sleet now; cleaning up the garage before I take my car out to see how well and differently the rear handles with the new parts when the shovel of the Captain Obvious hits me in the face. There will be no cornering tests of my ride today in this weather as I realize with drooping shoulders and spirits. With my epiphany still floating over me like a bubble, my wife comes out and observes that 1) I'm all wet with sleet and snow and 2) "You're not driving that car today in this weather. grumble...
Old 01-17-2016, 10:09 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
^ lol! Well at least it's on!

Vote Ox Mustang of the Year 😬👍🏻
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:44 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
D*mn, you made it just in time. But also, don't be sending that snow up here. Push it off the coast.
la pantera is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang