My warranty is almost up... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-17-2016, 09:06 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
My warranty is almost up...

so the car was originally purchased April of 13, as a 2014. I bought it used April 2014 with 6k miles on it. now, April 2016, the warranty is up. is it worth looking into extended, or is that a waste of money? I'm bringing it in tomorrow for them to fix my rattling rear view mirror and check the sloshing water. I already had my rear end seal fixed bc it was leaking. I had my hood repainted bc of bubbling. I'm worried that after April of course my control arms will go and I'll have to pay for that stuff now. it's got 15k miles, so idk. is it worth it?

Sent from my Note 4
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2016, 09:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yep!! It's definitely worth it. Only takes one issue and it's paid for itself. Just the peace of mind is worth it to me.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:23 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
If you plan on modifying your car, you might as well take that money and give it to the first homeless person you see. They will buy as much food and shelter with that as you will get use of the extended warranty (which is none because we all know they go straight to the liquor store/drug dealer).

Extended warranties are junk in my opinion. You have a 5 year 60k powertrain warranty as it is. Often these extended warranties only cover certain things and require reimbursement or authorization prior to work being done. This leaves you and your daily stuck until they decide it's covered or you just pay for it and deal with them later.

I say skip it. These are a joke.

Vote Ox Mustang of the Year ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2016, 11:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
My warranty is almost up...

If your not planning on modding the car and had good experiences with your dealership in the past it may be worth it. But I would be sure it fully understand what it covers. Too often I see people get warranties and stuff go wrong and are told "it only includes labor and not parts or doesn't include x for whatever reason".

As said above your power train warranty Is a lot longer so that really takes care of the high dollar items you would need to repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:58 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

good advice guys. so, i bought it used from a chrysler dealer, so i never deal with them. the ford dealers around here are meh. the one i went to when i got my hood repainted was garbage, and i hate them. i'm dealing with another now that seems better.

how much would the lower control arms cost if that goes and it's not under warranty? maybe i'll get lucky and not have an issue, but i've seen so many people have that damn issue
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 01-17-2016, 11:59 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Buying a extended warranty is dumb. And if you fall for it well then.............

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Jayochs, You got awhile to think about this, so why not go down to your dealer and ask some hard questions. Got a tell ya though, I was the manager at the local H-D and sold a lot of extended warranties. It depends on what your going to do with your car and what and how the dealer is going to handle your claims. Each dealer is going to handle things differently. So go down and find out. In my experience, just about in every case it turned out beneficial to the customer. Notice I stated Just about every case. Only you can decide if this is for you. Good luck Buddy.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
Jayochs, You got awhile to think about this, so why not go down to your dealer and ask some hard questions. Got a tell ya though, I was the manager at the local H-D and sold a lot of extended warranties. It depends on what your going to do with your car and what and how the dealer is going to handle your claims. Each dealer is going to handle things differently. So go down and find out. In my experience, just about in every case it turned out beneficial to the customer. Notice I stated Just about every case. Only you can decide if this is for you. Good luck Buddy.
thanks man. my big thing was, does the extended warranty extend the 3 year "anyhting is covered" bumper to bumper warranty? if so, maybe it's worth it? but if dealers are going to give crap and really take their time deciding if it'll be covered, i won't deal with that.

just dropped my car off now for my final warranty issue dropoff...fixing my rear view mirror and fixing the water sloshing issue in the quarter panel.

i have until april to fix any other issues..so i don't really have a lot of time lol
Old 01-17-2016, 02:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Here's the way I see it

An extended warranty is like any other assurance policy.
If you never use it then it was a waste of money.
If you used it and it more than paid for itself by money saved, then it was worth it.
If you don't or can't handle many of the problems yourself, then chances are increased that you may benefit by an extended warranty.

Keep in mind that there is a lot of markup on extended warranties.

Also, keep in mind that extended warranty companies are there to make money, so that tells you where the odds lie.

Personally, I can do a lot of the mechanically work myself (even if I need to get help from YouTube), have a 2nd car, and I can afford to self insure. So for me it's a no brainer.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:25 PM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
if you are going to get the Ford one shop online. for me I have insurance to cover what I can't afford. I feel car/tv/computer ones are not worth it to me but I can afford it if something happens.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:36 AM   #11
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

I just recently read that what you should do is take the money that you would spend on extended warranties, for everything you buy with one available, and put it in a bank account. That account should cover any expenses you have with those items over your lifetime and you will still have money to spare. The problem is that no one will do this and when you need a new transmission for you car you will not have the money. But the take away is this, over the long run extended warranties are not worth it.
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:40 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

very true. good call.

on another note, anyone ever had a windshield replaced by Ford? are they pretty good with it? dealership called me today to tell me in diagnosing my rear view mirror rattles issue, the clip broke off the windshield and the only fix is a new windshield, which of course is all covered under warranty. but still. kinda sucks to not have the factory sealed windshield anymore. I really don't want the headache of leaks, you know?

Sent from my Note 4
Old 01-18-2016, 11:45 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Your control arms should be replaced with aftermarket anyway. And the relo brackets.

Extended warranties are only worth it if you are completely incapable of doing any of your own work. And even then...

TBTH people who can't do any of their own work should probably lease if they are worried about maintenance costs.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:00 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Bought an extended warranty. Just before it expired I had my tranny and a/c replaced. Saved me a boatload.

Kona Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona Mike View Post
Bought an extended warranty. Just before it expired I had my tranny and a/c replaced. Saved me a boatload.

damn, what happened to the tranny?
Old 01-18-2016, 12:09 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Getting a extended warranty for a car is not a bad idea, if you are planning to keep it a long time and the less you drive allows you to pick up to 8 years of coverage. That would give you 5 years from the end of your 36/36. I worked for Ford for 23 years and things are expensive to replace. I have bought Ford ESP plans before from Ford Extended Warranty - Geniune Ford ESP Sales The headlights are almost $400.00 each to replace. They are out of RI and you can do it over the phone. I do not work for them but found they are much less than buying from you local dealer or Ford direct, plus you may pay no sales tax also if you don't live in RI. The Premium Care would cover the headlights, it is like your bumper to bumper plan you have now. The Extra Care is good to but covers less items. I am in the same boat as you with my 2013 warranty ending in May 2016. Deductibles can run from $0 to $200.00. Hope this helped.
2013 RedMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona Mike View Post

Now I bet you're glad you didn't read this thread before it expired.
Now you got jayochs all unsure again.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:29 PM   #18

Region: Virginia
I have had extended warranties on most of my cars and I only buy used certified cars. Every one had a major issue that was covered, sometime it took arm twisting, but it was done at no cost to me. This included 3 new transfer boxes on an All Wheel Jag (traded it in after the 3rd), an AC compressor, AC blower, and a transmission on various Fords. So, to me, have been worth it. The one I didn't, a '99 Contour SVT, is now parked because of a blown engine.
Starfighterace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:13 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
damn, what happened to the tranny?
MT82 happened?
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:47 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I find it this way:
If you have the extended warranty your car will"""NOT"" break down.
As soon as your warranty is expired- """IT WILL"""

Cars just seem to know when the warranty is gone weather it be a Factory or Extended. Cars just seem to know.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

If you also buy a Ford ESP Plan if you sell the car before the warranty runs out you can get a prorated refund for time and miles not used.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfighterace View Post
I have had extended warranties on most of my cars and I only buy used certified cars. Every one had a major issue that was covered, sometime it took arm twisting, but it was done at no cost to me. This included 3 new transfer boxes on an All Wheel Jag (traded it in after the 3rd), an AC compressor, AC blower, and a transmission on various Fords. So, to me, have been worth it. The one I didn't, a '99 Contour SVT, is now parked because of a blown engine.
That's just a good excuse for a 3L swap.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:08 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Extended Warranty

When my cars warranty ran out. I opted for an extended plan from ford. The Platinum plan. Bumper to bumper. $800. $100. deductible. This is not a lot of money! You have a buy back pro rated, if you trade in or sell the car. You can get back $400 to $6oo,apply it to your next car. Or use it as a sale perk. When you sell it can be transferred to the next owner. I was never big on extended plans, But I would not like to shell out $2500. for a new tranny. I can't believe the prices at the dealerships.
goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:27 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
MT82 happened?
haha i guess, but i'm not ripping on it or anything, so i'm hoping mine won't explode lol.

you guys have me all unsure. meh whatever. my plan is to hopefully get the new gen 5.0 for like the '18 or '19 year, once they work out the kinks and stuff with the new redesign, so maybe i'll just keep rockin with this for a while.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:43 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you are waiting for the 18 or 19 year you better hope they put in the twin turbo eco 6. Else you might want to look at something else for performance since the S550 fell on its *** vs the competition.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:56 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If you are waiting for the 18 or 19 year you better hope they put in the twin turbo eco 6. Else you might want to look at something else for performance since the S550 fell on its *** vs the competition.
Hate to say it, but the Camaro's looking like the better pony car these days. Even SCCA's pro racing manufacturer wins are biased heavily towards Chevy over Ford. Not quite sure why Ford is letting itself fall behind...didn't think they were *that* cheap.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:21 AM   #27
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I don't care if a Camaro is the fastest bestest car in the whole wide world.
They just don;t have the look or desirability of any Mustang ever made including the ugly Mustang II.
A Camaro is a car , A Mustang is a work of art that you will want to just look at it when your not enjoying the drive down a good road.
I see in Motor Trend this month where the Z-28 came out a far second to the GT-350R.
I'm talking "MOTOR TREND" The GM's propaganda Magazine.

I have had Camaro's, Corvettes, GT3000's and believe me when I say that all four Mustangs I have had were always fun to drive, good looking, trouble free cars.
The only exception was my 69 Z-28 redone by Grumpy Bill Jenkins, It also was extremely fun and looking great and GM has not made a Camaro I would want since then.

I test drove a 2015 Camaro and could not wait to get back in my 2012 Mustang.
Ronnie
Old 01-19-2016, 08:23 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Ford has cut back on it's funding for racing. Prime example is they didn't renew John Force's contract and there isn't anyone more loyal to Ford other than the Wood Brothers #21, and now he is driving Chevys. The good new is the Wood Brothers got full funding for all 36 races as they were a part time team since 2008 and struggled without proper backing.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I don't care if a Camaro is the fastest bestest car in the whole wide world.
They just don;t have the look or desirability of any Mustang ever made including the ugly Mustang II.
A Camaro is a car , A Mustang is a work of art that you will want to just look at it when your not enjoying the drive down a good road.
I see in Motor Trend this month where the Z-28 came out a far second to the GT-350R.
I'm talking "MOTOR TREND" The GM's propaganda Magazine.

I have had Camaro's, Corvettes, GT3000's and believe me when I say that all four Mustangs I have had were always fun to drive, good looking, trouble free cars.
The only exception was my 69 Z-28 redone by Grumpy Bill Jenkins, It also was extremely fun and looking great and GM has not made a Camaro I would want since then.

I test drove a 2015 Camaro and could not wait to get back in my 2012 Mustang.
Ronnie
No dude not anymore, at leat not IMO. The new Mustang is a compromise between USA and Euro/Worldwide needs/wants etc...

The CHALLENGER is a work of car art. As are the 10-14 Mustangs. The LT1 Camaro is just a fast as **** pony car that outperforms the S550 in literally every conceivable way. The S550 Mustang is just "fast enough" and Ford will sell a ton of them and make a ton of money and maintain the status quo. We are back to Pre 2011 days.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

lol guys, i'm not buying the new gen mustang for speed. i'd buy a 5.0 because i would love to have that growl and the power the 5.0 has; i don't care that it's not the z28 with that ridiculous 7 something liter engine. i kinda think the 420hp in a v8 is more than enough for me lol. sure, camaros are beastly nowadays, but they're still ugly as hell, and that interior is still cramped. i'd buy the new mustang because i want to keep with the mustang, and just bump up to a v8 and see what that's like. i've never owned a v8 in my life. i'm 28, and my first 11 years of driving were with 2 trucks: a 91 nissan pickup 4 banger, and an 01 nissan frontier xe 4 banger. the 3.7 is my first v6 lol.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:10 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The 2016 Camaro is far superior looking than the euro stang looks. With that said, I would never buy a Camaro because its crappy looking inside. The interior looks like plastic pieces of crap.

Non ๐Ÿผand non ๐ŸŒฝfed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:09 PM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The 2016 Camaro is so ugly the designers need to be spanked.
Ronnie
Old 01-19-2016, 09:16 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
The 2016 Camaro is so ugly the designers need to be spanked.
Ronnie
You may not agree but there are many people as well as articles that talk about the "visual similarities of the two cars in profile".
Old 01-19-2016, 09:32 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
You may not agree but there are many people as well as articles that talk about the "visual similarities of the two cars in profile".
While I can definitely tell the 2 cars apart there are definitely similarities between the 2. Same goes with the 11-12 mustangs, 13 -14 mustangs, and 15-16 mustangs. I find it laughable how people call one horrific while saying the other is the best looking car ever. Although there are minor differences all have lots of similarities in style and overall profile.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:35 PM   #35
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I personally just like Mustangs better

Ain't "NO" way at all. I'm not blind and I already drove one.
Oh! They both have four wheel with rubber tires on them.
I may be old but I sure as hell ain't blind.
I ain't stupid either.
The Mustang is proportionately very good looking all the way around, Front, Back and both sides
The Camaro looks good from the side but the front and rear are atrocious (UGLY) and the cheap crap interior is awful.
I guess some people like them but I sure as heck don't.
The Mustangs just look "RIGHT" and OK but not as nice looking as my 2012 MCA
Ronnie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flea mkt nov 2015.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	195972  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang