ST Suspension Rear Sway Bar Install Troubles - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-17-2016, 04:12 PM   #1

Region: Arkansas
ST Suspension Rear Sway Bar Install Troubles

Alright guys, I'm at the end of my rope. I'm usually pretty mechanically inclined and can figure stuff out, but this one is baffling me. I'm seriously to the point that if I still had the packaging I'd contact AM and ask for a refund. Here's the deal. With this bar, you're required to sandwich the bushings between the end link bracket and the bushing bracket and torque them down to 52 lb ft. However, no matter how tight I tighten the bolts, the bushing can still wiggle around on the bar. Some pictures will probably tell the story better than I can.

Any thoughts? The nuts are torqued to spec, but this thing is still clearly very loose. I'm tempted to just say screw it and go back to not running a sway bar at all. Haven't had one in months and don't really need it, but the body roll was getting annoying. But after spending all weekend on this, I can live with the body roll.
ViperMKII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2016, 04:48 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Looks like it would never tighten down. I'd contact AM anyway. I'm sure they will take it back. It's a manufacturer defect clearly.

Vote Ox Mustang of the Year 😬👍🏻
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
On AM's website, it looks like it comes with two sets of bushings. Have you tried the other set? My whiteline front sway bar came with two sets of bushings, and one was extremely small and did not fit. The other fit like a glove.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2016, 10:35 PM   #4

Nope, there's no way that's tightening down. I've tried every way I can come up with and enlisted the help of a friend who's also a mechanic and he's just as stumped as I am. There's just too big of a gap in there to get the bushing to tighten properly. I'll get with AM tomorrow and see what they can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
On AM's website, it looks like it comes with two sets of bushings. Have you tried the other set? My whiteline front sway bar came with two sets of bushings, and one was extremely small and did not fit. The other fit like a glove.
I thought of that too. Figured maybe I was just dumb, but the internal diameter of the bushings is the same size and the larger brackets and bushings are clearly meant for the outer mounting points so that won't work.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmm. Weird. I'm sure AM will make it right. Keep us posted on the results.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Old 01-18-2016, 10:26 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
It may be me but I can't see a solid metal plate between the top of the rubber bushing and the bottom of the strut.
In other words, what's pushing the rubber bushing down from the top? It looks like there should be a plate there.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160117_152653_zpsebacen2b.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	195935
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:20 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Diehard is totally correct...there should be a straight plate that goes between the bushing and the bar.......it will never tighten this way as you aren't able to compress the bushing against the bar......IMHO
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
+2 on the above. I literally just installed front and rear bars on my ride. (As in I finished an hour ago.) Your bushing doesn't look like it's being compressed on the mounting side.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:52 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Good catch^^ didn't even see that.

From the hardware listed in the pictures, it doesn't even look like it comes with a plate..ST Suspension Mustang Anti Sway Bar - Rear 51027 (05-14 GT, V6) - Free Shipping

Old 01-18-2016, 06:19 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
Good catch^^ didn't even see that.

From the hardware listed in the pictures, it doesn't even look like it comes with a plate..ST Suspension Mustang Anti Sway Bar - Rear 51027 (05-14 GT, V6) - Free Shipping
I guess the problem was they only gave him what was in the picture.
I actually had to copy his pic and lighten up to be sure.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:46 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
If you look in the installation instructions, section 3, 3a.......they show a plate that goes between the mount and the bushing.........It won't work the way he has it installed...........make a plate and drill two holes in it................
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:48 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
If you look in the installation instructions, section 3, 3a.......they show a plate that goes between the mount and the bushing.........It won't work the way he has it installed...........make a plate and drill two holes in it................
Making a plate will make you mad you didn't get what you should have in the kit but... Keep clicking your heels and telling yourself, one trip to Lowes and an hour later it'll be right.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:38 PM   #13

Looking at it in more detail, it almost looks like the end links I've got should have been solid there across the bottom instead of hollow. The pictures of the end links in the instructions look like its all one piece and not a separate plate. But then the pictures on AM's site look like what I have, so hell if I know. There was no plate included in the kit at any rate. I'll ask AM about it when I get the chance to call them.

I'm not even going to attempt making a plate. I've been down that road before and it didn't end well, especially since if there is supposed to be a plate it should have come in the box. Steeda screwed me once (pun intended) by leaving out some screws I needed and didn't want to send replacements. Not a big deal since a trip to Pepboys fixed me up, but making a plate? Yeah, I think not.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:31 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperMKII View Post
Looking at it in more detail, it almost looks like the end links I've got should have been solid there across the bottom instead of hollow. The pictures of the end links in the instructions look like its all one piece and not a separate plate. But then the pictures on AM's site look like what I have, so hell if I know. There was no plate included in the kit at any rate. I'll ask AM about it when I get the chance to call them.

I'm not even going to attempt making a plate. I've been down that road before and it didn't end well, especially since if there is supposed to be a plate it should have come in the box. Steeda screwed me once (pun intended) by leaving out some screws I needed and didn't want to send replacements. Not a big deal since a trip to Pepboys fixed me up, but making a plate? Yeah, I think not.
I don't blame you!
Old 01-19-2016, 10:31 AM   #15
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Well this isn't any fun now is it!

Received and replied to your PM. We'll have this fixed for you in 24 hours from now.

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:12 PM   #16

PM sent. Thanks, Alex! AM Customer support at its very best right here.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:55 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

It will be interesting to find out what it was suppose to be.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:40 AM   #18
Site Sponsor

Quote:
PM sent. Thanks, Alex! AM Customer support at its very best right here.

Received and replied sir - Thanks for working with me on this.

I'll make sure that the replacement kit is inspected prior to shipping.

What can I say. Every now and then we'll have a vendor slip us a package short some hardware.

There's no way that we'd ever ask for any of our customers to head down to Home Depot and fix something because the order was short!

I'll be in touch and once the replacement ships we'll get tracking info emailed over.

Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 01-20-2016, 09:24 AM   #19
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Stuff like this is why I delete threads that bash AM. Yes bad stuff does happen but AM will fix it. How people/companies (now the same thx to the Supreme Court) deal with problems is a great way to judge them.

OP, I know you were not bashing....
Old 01-21-2016, 07:37 AM   #20
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Stuff like this is why I delete threads that bash AM. Yes bad stuff does happen but AM will fix it. How people/companies (now the same thx to the Supreme Court) deal with problems is a great way to judge them.

OP, I know you were not bashing....
We're talking about the monster bash right?...right?

So I pulled the replacement kit and saw something that looked a little different.

Let me know what you guys think about this and we'll be in touch with ST about this to make sure it doesn't happen again!

Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 01-21-2016, 10:15 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Hang in there. From what I've seen AM will definitely get you whats missing.
And, once sorted out & installed, if you retained the stock front sway bar, let us know if this one causes the rear to get loose easier.

Thanks & good luck.
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
We're talking about the monster bash right?...right?

So I pulled the replacement kit and saw something that looked a little different.

Let me know what you guys think about this and we'll be in touch with ST about this to make sure it doesn't happen again!

Now that's looking more like it! Those look like the ones pictured in the instructions. I'm really curious what's up with the end links I was sent. They're too perfect to be a manufacturing defect and I've just noticed the ones I have are the same ones in the pictures posted on the AM product page! Very curious.

Anyway, thanks for all the help, Alex You are, without a doubt, the man! If anyone ever has any doubts that AM will get you taken care if you have any issues with an order, you don't need to worry. This was handled quickly and with absolutely no questions asked. Quality CS
Old 01-21-2016, 11:48 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Well this isn't any fun now is it!

Received and replied to your PM. We'll have this fixed for you in 24 hours from now.
Alex

Just because it's been five weeks today, since I ordered my K&N Cabin Air Filter, Item #389017, doesn't mean he hasn't been working to get it to me.

After all, not like I can drive it with snow all over the ground.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:05 AM   #24
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree43 View Post
Hang in there. From what I've seen AM will definitely get you whats missing.
And, once sorted out & installed, if you retained the stock front sway bar, let us know if this one causes the rear to get loose easier.

Thanks & good luck.
Shadetree43 - I take care of the Mevo crew here like you wouldn't believe. I'm all over the place, behind the computer, in the warehouse, testing cars. All in a days work

Quote:
Now that's looking more like it! Those look like the ones pictured in the instructions. I'm really curious what's up with the end links I was sent.

They're too perfect to be a manufacturing defect and I've just noticed the ones I have are the same ones in the pictures posted on the AM product page! Very curious.

Anyway, thanks for all the help, Alex You are, without a doubt, the man!

If anyone ever has any doubts that AM will get you taken care if you have any issues with an order, you don't need to worry.

This was handled quickly and with absolutely no questions asked. Quality CS

It's my pleasure to help. We'll be inspecting this once it's back and shoot it right back to ST then. I honestly don't have an explanation for how it happened on their end and I'd prefer not to speculate. I've seen crazier things
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 01-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #25
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post

Thank GOD, Alex has saved the day again! If it wasn't for Alex, there would be several unhappy campers out there.

Just because it's been five weeks today, since I ordered my K&N Cabin Air Filter, Item #389017, doesn't mean he hasn't been working to get it to me.

After all, not like I can drive it with snow all over the ground.
Thanks for the kind words New. I'm a consumer too and I'd like to be treated as such.

I'm sorry about the delay on K&N's end but it's still looking like they're out for another 2-3 weeks.

Let me know if there's something I can do to make the wait a little more bearable.

Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 01-22-2016, 02:42 PM   #26
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
You can splash the existing one with a bit of Ether....that'll take your mind off it.

Excuse me Miss, does this rag smell like Ether?
Old 01-22-2016, 06:42 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Thanks for the kind words New. I'm a consumer too and I'd like to be treated as such.

I'm sorry about the delay on K&N's end but it's still looking like they're out for another 2-3 weeks.

Let me know if there's something I can do to make the wait a little more bearable.

Alex
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang