Add a supercharger to V6 or buy new 5.0 - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-19-2016, 08:46 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelleniz View Post
Procharger... 1.475 horsepower with just 8lbs boost,
the more you increase boost the more power you add. 2. 600 hp without cooling system or internal engine mods, 3. 1200 hp is the limit on the procharger system on the 3.7, but that would also require fairly signifcant upgrades to the motor and cooling system.
It doesn't matter which motor you choose, power is power and it all costs money. 4. The 5.0 is not any better and not much different than the 3.7...it's just bigger. 5. Bigger is harder to cool and weighs more, especially with power adders, but if you have the money, it can make more power.
I'm not going to flat out say you're wrong... but i'm going to strongly disagree with just about everything you said.

1. Base procharger kit doesn't put out anywhere near 475 whp at 8 lbs of boost, so ... no.

2. I'd like to see your calculations on the cooling capacity of the 3.7 cooling system, because it has the exact same radiator as the 5.0, and 600+ whp coyotes are a dime a dozen so... no.

3. I agree it would take significant upgrades to engine and cooling system, but you say "the procharger system." The base model kit will be pushed hard to reach 500 at the wheels, so i'm assuming you mean swapping to a big *** unit, but i still feel like the 1200 number was just pulled out of nowhere. If you just really want to get stupid with it Procharger has units that flow 4000 cfm, so as long as we're living in dream land, that's good for a theoretical like 2500-3000 whp.

4. just no in general lol.

5. This brings us back to the issue with number 2. If the 3.7 is apparently going to need help at 600+ and the coyote should be doing worse, then there should be a lot of people with cooling problems out there. Heat is a direct result of power, but the coyote makes power in 2 more cylinders than the 3.7, so each cylinder inherently is producing less heat. On top of that, there are more coolant jackets in the 5.0, so more surface area + less heat =/= harder to cool so ... no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris44117 View Post
Thank you! Someone with some sort of automotive knowledge finally commented.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2016, 09:34 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Lmao! Nice one Volt!

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:42 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Money wise you'll never recoup the SC money! Investment wise V8 is the way to go. Lol like cars are good investments.....BUT...if you'd like to recover as much as you can V8! You got plenty to throw around....you don't mind the headache ...boost it! No ones wrong ...just depends what you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks123 View Post
Money wise you'll never recoup the SC money! Investment wise V8 is the way to go. Lol like cars are good investments.....BUT...if you'd like to recover as much as you can V8! You got plenty to throw around....you don't mind the headache ...boost it! No ones wrong ...just depends what you like.

👌🏾

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:46 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:

What real headache is there for boost? Assuming the tune is correct, what real headache?

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:51 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
No issues 15k miles after the fact Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1453323058.299345.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	195985

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, procharger supercharger, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:02 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelleniz View Post
The 5.0 is not any better and not much different than the 3.7...it's just bigger. Bigger is harder to cool and weighs more, especially with power adders, but if you have the money, it can make more power.
This statement is so ridiculous it belongs in the "Whats the stupidest thing someone said about your car?" thread, and yet it was muttered by an actual fellow mustang forum user.
CodyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:26 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Add a supercharger to V6 or buy new 5.0

I think some people have talked about the intoxication of boost! Maybe I can run 10 instead of 8....until you push that motor beyond its stock internals. Warranty issues also come into play....

Old 01-20-2016, 03:27 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
No issues 15k miles after the fact Attachment 195985

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, procharger supercharger, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
That's what I thought. As long as the install is done correctly, tune is properly done and don't excede the power the block, pistons and rods can handle. What real headaches?

Just keep the block around 450 rwhp and stay under 450 rwtq on factory internals and good to go.

OP, if I may ask you this since your talking about adding a SC. Why not just boost with 100 shot of nitrous? You will make far more torque than a SC will make, and its far far far cheaper than a SC. You can get a full complete setup for under $1700 dollars. Put a 100 shot and you got 420 rwtq and 400 rwhp.

Why not boost with nitrious? Just as safe as SC , key is proper install and good tune. MPT specializes in nitrous tunes for the 3.7. Instant torque and HP at a fraction of the cost??

After talking with rap and some others about nitrous, I'm feeling spraying is the way to go for a far more cost effective alternative to boost. Power when you want to play!

Old 01-20-2016, 10:02 PM   #45
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
That's what I thought. As long as the install is done correctly, tune is properly done and don't excede the power the block, pistons and rods can handle. What real headaches?

Just keep the block around 450 rwhp and stay under 450 rwtq on factory internals and good to go.

OP, if I may ask you this since your talking about adding a SC. Why not just boost with 100 shot of nitrous? You will make far more torque than a SC will make, and its far far far cheaper than a SC. You can get a full complete setup for under $1700 dollars. Put a 100 shot and you got 420 rwtq and 400 rwhp.

Why not boost with nitrious? Just as safe as SC , key is proper install and good tune. MPT specializes in nitrous tunes for the 3.7. Instant torque and HP at a fraction of the cost??

After talking with rap and some others about nitrous, I'm feeling spraying is the way to go for a far more cost effective alternative to boost. Power when you want to play!

If and when I ever get a Coyote it will be a 11 or 12 automatic, basically I'll clone what Grabber did and then Nitrous. Not sure why you'd need to do anything else for a street car when it'll do 11s all motor and then 10s on the sauce and still get mid 20mpg to and from the track with a bigass drink in the cupholder and the AC on, music going and not having to worry about shifting.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:11 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Nope no problems actually only problem is not seeing any camaros or gts at a stop light lol

elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:13 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If and when I ever get a Coyote it will be a 11 or 12 automatic, basically I'll clone what Grabber did and then Nitrous. Not sure why you'd need to do anything else for a street car when it'll do 11s all motor and then 10s on the sauce and still get mid 20mpg to and from the track with a bigass drink in the cupholder and the AC on, music going and not having to worry about shifting.
That's freaking crazy. That's bad a$$ times right there. I was talking with rap and I could do a small 125 shot all day long safely on factory internals and the instant torque I would make would be huge gains. I would be somewhere around 425 rwhp and 430 plus rwtq.

All for $ 1,700 or under for a complete kit! That's awesome for a street use car.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:53 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's freaking crazy. That's bad a$$ times right there. I was talking with rap and I could do a small 125 shot all day long safely on factory internals and the instant torque I would make would be huge gains. I would be somewhere around 425 rwhp and 430 plus rwtq.

All for $ 1,700 or under for a complete kit! That's awesome for a street use car.

Those are gains from a 3.7 just using nitrous?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
bamaboy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:23 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Less money going in with nitrous...less money lost when your going out. So if you dumped the kit at the end got 500.00 back....maybe 1200.00 spent. Sounds like the BEST bang for the buck!!

Old 01-22-2016, 11:29 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Less money going in with nitrous...less money lost when your going out. So if you dumped the kit at the end got 500.00 back....maybe 1200.00 spent. Sounds like the BEST bang for the buck!!

"Bang" is the word alright....

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Correct me if I'm wrong but you aren't gonna run around in this awesome nitrous "street car" with your nitrous tune on and bottle on all the time would you? To me that's the benefit of a blower, granted its a hell of a lot more money lol

gqsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:03 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Getting interested now...nitrous kits are only 650.00! Already have a tuner. Just have to have Bama design me a tune for spraying???? Sounds like a lot less then 1700.00!!

Old 01-22-2016, 12:06 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Getting interested now...nitrous kits are only 650.00! Already have a tuner. Just have to have Bama design me a tune for spraying???? Sounds like a lot less then 1700.00!!

well, there's always the clean up bill.
Somebodies gonna have to grease sweep all that oil the rods leave on the ground as they are leaving the block.

Tuned by AED
Old 01-22-2016, 12:07 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Add a supercharger to V6 or buy new 5.0

Personal experience with nitrous Fabman

Old 01-22-2016, 12:14 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Personal experience with nitrous Fabman

Nope...I'm just talking out of my butt....but hey, everyone else does it so why can't I?
HOWEVER, I have heard waaay too many horror stories and seen too many motors blow up on that stuff. But personal experience? Nope. Nor am I am expert on the matter.

Now if you wanna talk about bad blower tunes killing motors....I do have experience with that.

Tuned by AED
Old 01-22-2016, 12:17 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

First I should apologize and start a new thread...kinda hijacking this one!! Got excited!! Cause don't really want to part with the money for a procharger!

Old 01-22-2016, 01:02 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy2014 View Post
Those are gains from a 3.7 just using nitrous?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Those would be approximate gains for my 3.7.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:34 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabman View Post
well, there's always the clean up bill.
Somebodies gonna have to grease sweep all that oil the rods leave on the ground as they are leaving the block.
I'm waiting for Rapinator to read this and I can hear his comment back to you as I type his reply!

That's because you don't know what your talking about when it comes to nitrious. Ha ha ha.

I am far from an expert on nitrous but lately I have been reading up and talking to people who are very knowledgeable about nitrous one of those people would be rapinator. A properly tuned for nitrous in a properly installed nitrous system is no more dangerous than a properly tuned and installed supercharger or turbo charger.

You're both adding boost to the engine. Running nitrous system is just as safe and effective as a turbo or supercharger as long as the tune and setup are done properly and you don't exceed the engine blocks internals but that's the same for a super or turbocharger.

You can blow up an engine throw a piston and rods real quick with a bad tune or too much boost on a turbo or super charger for the engine block to handle.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:02 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm waiting for Rapinator to read this and I can hear his comment back to you as I type his reply!

That's because you don't know what your talking about when it comes to nitrious. Ha ha ha.

I am far from an expert on nitrous but lately I have been reading up and talking to people who are very knowledgeable about nitrous one of those people would be rapinator. A properly tuned for nitrous in a properly installed nitrous system is no more dangerous than a properly tuned and installed supercharger or turbo charger.

You're both adding boost to the engine. Running nitrous system is just as safe and effective as a turbo or supercharger as long as the tune and setup are done properly and you don't exceed the engine blocks internals but that's the same for a super or turbocharger.

You can blow up an engine throw a piston and rods real quick with a bad tune or too much boost on a turbo or super charger for the engine block to handle.

Like I said...I'm no expert on the subject, but it gives me the willies every time I see a nitrous setup because I've seen a lot of blown up motors. Of course something goes wrong....often times its self inflicted Horsepower greed because its so easy to add a little more with a pill. LOL. Blower pullies do the same thing

Tuned by AED
Old 01-22-2016, 03:39 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Like I said...I'm no expert on the subject, but it gives me the willies every time I see a nitrous setup because I've seen a lot of blown up motors. Of course something goes wrong....often times its self inflicted Horsepower greed because its so easy to add a little more with a pill. LOL. Blower pullies do the same thing
I had the very same thought process as you about nitrous over the years and even up until recently. The idea of nitrous always had me concerned because of the horror stories I had heard of the years about it.

After being educated by some performance enthusiasts, it seems that nitrous is not the devil I thought it was. Like any F.I. method (via super charger , turbo charger or nitrous) it's key not to push more power than the engine block can handle. Also, with any F.I. method the tune is key to having things run smooth. Along with a proper install of course.

The 3.7 and 5.0 blocks have been around long enough to know what for certain safe levels of power the factory internals can definitely handle, so spraying a 125 shot on the 3.7 or 5.0 is no issue.

From a cost perspective, it seems that a nitrous set up is the way to go. You can keep the nitrous system ready to go any time you want to spray so the boost is there when ever you want to play.

Granted, a downside would be with nitrous when the bottle is empty no more boost until refill. Supercharger and Turbo charger, boost is unlimited but let's be honest. Nobody is driving around for an entire trip with the boost being made. I would think that a decent size bottle would last a nice bit if someone is spraying for 2 to 3 second bursts and then letting off when in play mode.

How many people operate their mustang in full torque rpms when crusing to work or a movie? Not many.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:41 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqsmash View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but you aren't gonna run around in this awesome nitrous "street car" with your nitrous tune on and bottle on all the time would you? To me that's the benefit of a blower, granted its a hell of a lot more money lol

True but the nitrous set up may run $1700. A blower set up may run 6 to 8k! Little bit of a difference in 💲💲💲💲

Old 01-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I had the very same thought process as you about nitrous over the years and even up until recently. The idea of nitrous always had me concerned because of the horror stories I had heard of the years about it.

After being educated by some performance enthusiasts, it seems that nitrous is not the devil I thought it was. Like any F.I. method (via super charger , turbo charger or nitrous) it's key not to push more power than the engine block can handle. Also, with any F.I. method the tune is key to having things run smooth. Along with a proper install of course.

The 3.7 and 5.0 blocks have been around long enough to know what for certain safe levels of power the factory internals can definitely handle, so spraying a 125 shot on the 3.7 or 5.0 is no issue.

From a cost perspective, it seems that a nitrous set up is the way to go. You can keep the nitrous system ready to go any time you want to spray so the boost is there when ever you want to play.

Granted, a downside would be with nitrous when the bottle is empty no more boost until refill. Supercharger and Turbo charger, boost is unlimited but let's be honest. Nobody is driving around for an entire trip with the boost being made. I would think that a decent size bottle would last a nice bit if someone is spraying for 2 to 3 second bursts and then letting off when in play mode.

How many people operate their mustang in full torque rpms when crusing to work or a movie? Not many.

Yes, the new wet systems are light years ahead of the old dry systems.....
Totally depends on what you are doing with the car as always.
I road race with my blower....wouldn't be the same with Nitrous. LOL.

Tuned by AED
Old 01-22-2016, 03:48 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes, the new wet systems are light years ahead of the old dry systems.....
Totally depends on what you are doing with the car as always.
I road race with my blower....wouldn't be the same with Nitrous. LOL.
Oh, if you road race, then nitrous is not what someone wants. Lol. Blower is perfect for road race track. I was told the same thing about the wet systens of today. The new wet systems are light years ahead of the old dry systems from back in the day

Old 01-22-2016, 04:07 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Where r u getting 1700.00? There about 650 for a wet system.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:21 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Where r u getting 1700.00? There about 650 for a wet system.

You have other parts to buy. Purge kit, window switch, bottle warmer, set of new spark plugs, tune for it!

Old 01-22-2016, 04:29 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

1050.00?

Old 01-22-2016, 04:31 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
1050.00?

Sounds good to me. Even cheaper than I thought. I was over estimating on the cost. Lol

Old 01-22-2016, 05:54 PM   #68
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Nitrous is the most efficient and strongest of all the power adders. Period.

But if you road race... Supercharger.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:31 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

But if you road race... Supercharger.

But safe as long as you stay within the limits of the block, a tune done properly and a proper install. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this statement.

I just wanted to offer this as another option for the OP that is far more cost effective for achieving a lot of HP and torque gains. There was a member back on here many years ago named Charlie Santos. He reminds me a lot of Rap. He was all about the spray, he loved and still loves his nitrous. All about the spray. Rap and a few others now have me convinced that spraying is the way to go for those who are looking to have some fun with our DD's or semi DD's.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:49 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

But if you road race... Turbo.

Fixed
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang