Gears done. Didn't go as planned - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-26-2016, 04:33 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Sup guys so this guy turned out to be a flake. The shop I took it to said the pinion depth has to be. 004 and he had it at .11. Not sure what all that means. I'm trying to get some money back. Where on the Ford website does it say the depth it should be?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
martinez8191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2016, 04:58 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Here are the specs.

Ford Service Manuals - SECTION 205-02 [Rear Drive Axle Differential-Ford 8.8 Inch Ring Gear]

The full shop manual is here.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=499
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:19 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
WOW Martinez, I've been following your thread. I'm really sorry to hear this. Don't know what to say, just the same stuff we always hear in life experiences. I hope you don't get discouraged by this. Save your money up and go to a known professional and get what you want, it will make you feel better. Hang in there Bud.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2016, 07:24 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Story's like this should be far and few....tons of feedback on personal experiences with less then knowledgable shops!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:41 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez8191 View Post
Sup guys so this guy turned out to be a flake. The shop I took it to said the pinion depth has to be. 004 and he had it at .11. Not sure what all that means. I'm trying to get some money back. Where on the Ford website does it say the depth it should be?

Based on the service manual link Robostang provided it would appear that the, "Variation between teeth maximum backlash", which shows a value of "0.004 in" is what he may have been talking about. So then the 11 you mentioned would probably have been 0.011 in.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:42 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Hope everthing works out, and your out running your new gears. There are a lot of sub-par shops out there, and one got you. Chin up, now get it done right and come out to play.
Waynes World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:08 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I had the same issue as yours before. After switching from 2.73 to 3.31, my car was making noise during deceleration only. The noise only occurred when the speed was above 40 MPH though. The mechanic who did the work told me the noise would disappear after about 500 miles. After 500 miles, it is even louder.

I did some research and all point to a loose pinion bearing preload. I brought it to another mechanic, who diagnosed it and agreed with me. He removed my driveshaft and reset my preload (didn't even open the differential cover). Immediately after that, I noticed the differential was a lot quieter. After about 2 months, the noise was completely gone.
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:32 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Well, the guy at the shop said to change the gears. Total for everything parts and labor is $1025. Ouch. I asked them to just do the adjustment and hopefully that eliminates it. They said theyd keep that price if the gears did in fact need to be changed. I dont mind a bit of whine its fine. I just dont want it like it was. It got bad. Whining on acceleration and on decel. then the accel pitch getting higher and higher. Metal on metal. I couldnt take that. Hopefully these guys can do the adjustment and make some of it go away. I dont care if there is a little but with no risk of breaking im good. 1025 is too steep for me. And performance shops that do that around here have a wait for a month
Old 01-26-2016, 08:42 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
When my gears were whining, I regret not buying a factory take off. You can buy a factory take off 3.31 or 3.73 GT rear end assembly (including differential and wheel shaft) for only $999 with free shipping.
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:24 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

The factory take offs people keep referring to are only related to the 3.15 stock gears. Every other ebay listing for any other gear type is "newly installed gears." After plenty of research it seems that the companies sell the 3.15 stock set up for around $500-$600 then $999 for the other gear options that they put in. Problem is they have no way of checking the set up, so its possible you could end up with a dud/whine. There have been a couple of cases of people buying the 4.10 "take offs" only to have whine. The best option is to bring to a quality shop and have it done right the first time, as has been said 100 times in this thread. Sure, you can get a take off for $999 (not including truck freight), but then what happens if you install and get gear whine? Your SOL on returning it and end up having to pay a shop to fix it.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:58 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Today at 1 they will call me to let me know how the adjustment went. Hopefully it gets rid of some of the whine. At least the super high pitched. If there is a little i dont care. I just cant dish out $1025 right now and I need my car back. As long as it runs, and I can floor it when I want, after break in period of course, without any risk of damage il be ok. I just really really really need my car Il let you guys know what they tell me!
Old 02-01-2016, 09:27 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

So for those of you following this and my journey to replace my replaced gears, it... is done! I just got my baby back yesterday. She runs GREAT! $1160 with overnighting parts from Ford. Oh well. Lost 500 on the old one. Guys... DONT GO TO A GUY!!! take it to a reputable place. It can go well or it can go to Sh***. Better pay up the extra few bucks. Not worth the stress and hassle trust me. But my new 4.10's are on and im super happy. The mechanic even told me wow man for a v6 it hauls ***! lol. So thanks to Perez Auto Works in Miami, FL. If anyone needs anything they are a great group of people who make you feel special and that your business appreciated.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:05 AM   #48
Staff

Regular
Staff

sweet, yeah we've heard enuf of these nightmares we know it can stink. glad you're happy.

enjoy!

rpms at 70?
Old 02-01-2016, 10:11 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
sweet, yeah we've heard enuf of these nightmares we know it can stink. glad you're happy.

enjoy!

rpms at 70?
3k!
Old 02-01-2016, 10:21 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Glad it all worked out for ya..Did you go with ford racing gears and install kit?
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:40 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Sounds like all is well,lesson learned and thanks for sharing you probably just saved someone else the same nightmare.
Waynes World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah ford racing everythang

Old 02-01-2016, 12:23 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Happy to hear! So when you first started this post you were curious about how loud and what your engine was going to sound like at speed. So tell us, whats it like?
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:53 PM   #54
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Glad to hear you got it done right, I guess chalk this up to a life lesson. You can always take the other guy to small claims court and try to make him pay for the fix. If you have all receipts and documentation it should be a fun time.

Just remember, people always have money to do it right the SECOND time... sad that it often has to come to that.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:14 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Just remember, people always have money to do it right the SECOND time...
I wish... lol. Until that time comes, I have to live with this whenever I touch the acceleration pedal.

DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
I wish... lol. Until that time comes, I have to live with this whenever I touch the acceleration pedal.

Wow man. Well to be honest I would have preferred that 100x. Mine was so bad that the gears had to be replaced and everything in it. It sounded like straight metal on metal shaving when accelerating. And on decel, it sounded the same but deeper and it seemed like maybe the gears were hitting something else, making the car "thump" i guess you can say a bit and slowing it down. It was nasty

Old 02-01-2016, 02:28 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
Happy to hear! So when you first started this post you were curious about how loud and what your engine was going to sound like at speed. So tell us, whats it like?
It sounds the same i think. 3K RPM is still the screaming point. I tend to shift before that but overall the same id say. Thinking of getting resonators in soon

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang