Gears done. Didn't go as planned - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-19-2016, 07:27 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Gears done. Didn't go as planned

Sup guys, so I got my gears done over the weekend and it didnt go as planned. They make noise when decelerating or letting off the gas. The guy told me to get a new crush sleeve for it since the aftermarket ones that came with the kit (motive gear) did not fit like OEM. The ones that came with the gears (4.10) also didnt even look like the original one on the 2.73's. So I got one from ebay and I'm also picking up a crush sleeve from the dealership today. He will be taking it apart on Saturday and putting it back together. He said since it didnt fit like the OEM the gears are too close and thats why its making the noise. I work for a locksmith company and it sounds like when they cut keys. Metal on metal. Drove it about 30ish miles to work yesterday but not driving it until Saturday to take it to him (about 5 miles or so to the shop where he does the work).
Any thoughts?
martinez8191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2016, 09:27 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
That guy shouldn't have let you drive it like that. If it's not set correctly it's going to cause permanent damage. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

Vote Ox Mustang of the Year 😬👍🏻
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:34 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Nope you're dead on, it will establish a bad wear pattern and likely always make noise even once adjusted.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2016, 09:37 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
If he has to take it apart anyway i would get the ford racing install kit #m-4210-b2 .It comes complete with bearings crush sleeve etc ..Hope it works out for you keep us posted
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:37 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
All depend on how far off they are. It is normal to have some gear noise initially just because it's metal on metal and they need to wear into one another. This is why you check the wear patter when your shimming to make sure your good. If it's as bad at he's making it sound than yes. Permanent damage can be a factor. Typically the noise he's describing is from the fit on the gears being to tight or as a weird angle. Either one of these can be detrimental to the gears because they will quickly wear to one another and cause issues down the road.
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:39 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I would replace the gears because there a high chance there already messed up. Just my .02 but I would make him pay for the new set because as a gear installer he should know that the car should not have been drove like that. If he was any good he would have gotten the rite part for you and had you wait. Yes you would be upset but at the end of the day you would know he's good and wants it to last. Him letting you drive it that way tells me he is not good or just doesn't care at all.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

You guys think putting 40 miles on it will mess it up that bad?
Hes gonna take it apart on Saturday and hopefully that crush sleeve fixes the issue. He says thats all it is. The other sleeves didnt go down as much as they should have. something like that cant remember exactly.
Honestly at this point I cant afford another set of gears. I just dropped 200 on teh gears and the install kit and 500 on the labor. Im not gonna drive it anymore until Saturday to just go drop it off. I really hope nothing went bad. It was a whine. a loud one only when decelerating though. When you hit the gas nothing at all.
Just tell me everything is gonna be ok guys lol thats what i need to hear to get me through the week! lol I will update though once they are adjusted. What sucks is it was a guy not a shop so there really isnt much I can do. I called his references and everyone checked out. He said hes doing it this satuday for free since he guarantees his work. After that if it doesnt go as planned i dont know what he will say. Hopefully he will keep his honor and his word. If not then I guess il have to drop more cash. Unless I take it to Ford? I have the Carmax warranty so maybe I can play it off?
Old 01-19-2016, 09:52 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

You might be ok or they might be trashed. Hopefully you didn't stomp on the throttle at all just as a quick test on the improvement. If u beat on them already I would start preparing for bad news bud. U might be lucky u might not be. Time will tell.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:57 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Why did the mechanic do the install if the crush sleeve didn't fit right? He sounds sloppy to me.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:00 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
You might be ok or they might be trashed. Hopefully you didn't stomp on the throttle at all just as a quick test on the improvement. If u beat on them already I would start preparing for bad news bud. U might be lucky u might not be. Time will tell.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO iv been babying them like crazy. I havent gone past 3k rpm. Maybe once or twice i went up to 4 or 5 IF that. I babied it and went super slow. I was doing 60 on the over pass lol I was too scared.
Hopefully everything goes well Saturday. If there is a bit of whine it doesnt bother me this was just pretty loud. Damn guys im trippin right now hoping that everything goes well. #PrayForRuby
Old 01-19-2016, 10:01 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek57 View Post
Why did the mechanic do the install if the crush sleeve didn't fit right? He sounds sloppy to me.
So I could go home. Hes in FT. Lauderdale about an hour away from where I am and he was using a buddies shop
Old 01-19-2016, 10:48 AM   #12

Region: California
Brings back bad memories!! There are very few shops that know how to setup gears properly!

On my old car I had to have them done twice! I recommend a driveline only shop ... I'm in so/cal and used Coast Driveline (they have guys come from out of state, they're that good)!

Best of luck. I will never be doing gears again after my experience, sigh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chadmclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:56 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

If your guys good you might be ok. If he's good and the gears r not messed up you'll have zero whine. You should never have whine if there properly set up. Even above a 4.10 there should be zero. It's harder to accomplish with anything above 4.10s because all the added power to the rear end. The higher gear you run the more likely for a bad instal you risk. The faster the gears are moving the harder they are. But it's still easily achievable. I'm a backyard mechanic whose done many many rear end installs and I've never have one whine in the end. A few took two try's with shimming. It seems like the first time you step on the gas hard things can shift a tiny bit and then you just reshim and your good.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:11 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
My God the amount of bad gear installs is scary! I'm one of few lucky ones that had a great install.
Op I feel for you, but if the mechanic knew he should have rented you a car or at least told you to rent one.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:25 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
My God the amount of bad gear installs is scary! I'm one of few lucky ones that had a great install.
Op I feel for you, but if the mechanic knew he should have rented you a car or at least told you to rent one.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

I agree with this statement and that's why I question his quality or knowledge of the situation. I find t sad there's so many poor gear installs because they a truly not that hard. I'm talking from personal experience. I've done 40+ gear installs over the years including 3on this style mustang and they are simple. Time consuming yes but easy non the less
Old 01-19-2016, 12:23 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
A noise during deceleration is caused by pinion pre-load that is loose...as the hair brained mechanic that installed them said. How anyone could let a car go out without the proper setup is beyond me...I assume he is going to do this re-work for free????
If it were my car I'd ask your so called mechanic to give you a trailer/tow rig so you could bring it back to his shop........for FREE!
Once you've put 200+ miles on the car the gears will be pretty much set up the wear pattern and there will always be a noise........the whine is metal wearing away...if you continue driving the car.
My 14 TrakPak whined on deceleration and acceleration...came from the factory that way....3.73's in the 8.8 are extremely time consuming to get just perfect...even my 97 Cobra made the same noise my 14 did.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
A noise during deceleration is caused by pinion pre-load that is loose...as the hair brained mechanic that installed them said. How anyone could let a car go out without the proper setup is beyond me...I assume he is going to do this re-work for free????
If it were my car I'd ask your so called mechanic to give you a trailer/tow rig so you could bring it back to his shop........for FREE!
Once you've put 200+ miles on the car the gears will be pretty much set up the wear pattern and there will always be a noise........the whine is metal wearing away...if you continue driving the car.
My 14 TrakPak whined on deceleration and acceleration...came from the factory that way....3.73's in the 8.8 are extremely time consuming to get just perfect...even my 97 Cobra made the same noise my 14 did.
Yeah hes doing it for free. I havent gone more than 60 miles on it for sure. I'd say at most maybe 50
Old 01-19-2016, 02:38 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Sad to hear about your gear install. I paid $550 labor at my local Ford dealer and everything went good
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:48 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
Sad to hear about your gear install. I paid $550 labor at my local Ford dealer and everything went good
for $50 more I would have gone to Ford. Thing is they didnt even give me a call back to give me a price after 3 times trying to contact them.
Everyone else was $600+ with a 1-2 month wait.
Im staying hopeful that everything goes well. Im nervous but I havent driven it that bad or hard so im sure its not beyond repair just yet.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:29 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't drive anymore if i were you.If you can have it towed just to be on the safe side. Hope the guy makes it right for you buddy.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:58 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek57 View Post
I wouldn't drive anymore if i were you.If you can have it towed just to be on the safe side. Hope the guy makes it right for you buddy.
I wish man. Im going to have to take it to him. Hes a guy from a friend you know how that goes. hes using a friend of his shop to do the work down here in miami.
Im more than sure hes not gonna pay for a tow. As bad as that sounds. But at least its not a crazy drive. if anything il push it idc i just want my Ruby to be ok :'(
Old 01-19-2016, 04:46 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Have it towed back to him, but it sounds like he over crushed the sleeve (happens), and should have told you he had a problem and kept your car until it was right.
Waynes World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:32 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

So after going to Ford to get the crush sleeve, I got the one all the way to the left. The one on the right is wider. I think it was the one that came with the bearing kit. The middle one I'm not sure I think it could be the one that was in the 2.73's? If it was why is it only like, 1mm smaller? Which do you guys think is the OEM from the gears the middle of the right? Maybe he confused the ones that came in the kit and with the gears themselves?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapchat-4880355566979154138.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	719.7 KB
ID:	195970  
Old 01-19-2016, 08:45 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Should've stuck w 2.73 :/

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, procharger supercharger, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:16 AM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
I don't understand why people don't just buy a used rear end with the gears they want already installed and swap that bad boy out in less than 2 hours then flip their old rear end for the same-ish price paid for the one they bought. OR install the gears into the used unit and then do the swap. It just seems like either no one can install these correctly or it is time consuming to get right. Seems buying a complete unit saves a ton of irritation and having it out of the car makes the install so much easier for the mechanic performing it.

I see complete takeouts on eBay for 600-900 depending on the setup and often times it comes with all the control arms (sometimes upgraded), brakes, shocks, springs ect. Seems like the up front cost of this makes sense on the back end.

Vote Ox Mustang of the Year 😬👍🏻
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:59 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I don't understand why people don't just buy a used rear end with the gears they want already installed and swap that bad boy out in less than 2 hours then flip their old rear end for the same-ish price paid for the one they bought. OR install the gears into the used unit and then do the swap. It just seems like either no one can install these correctly or it is time consuming to get right. Seems buying a complete unit saves a ton of irritation and having it out of the car makes the install so much easier for the mechanic performing it.

I see complete takeouts on eBay for 600-900 depending on the setup and often times it comes with all the control arms (sometimes upgraded), brakes, shocks, springs ect. Seems like the up front cost of this makes sense on the back end.

Vote Ox Mustang of the Year
Good if the used rear end is guaranteed not to whine.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone with 4.10 gears or have taken apart the gears, the photo that i posted, all the way to the left, does that look like the OEM spacer?
Old 01-20-2016, 10:40 AM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

I really don't understand people taking their cars to a "do it all shop"....if you want to have rear end work like changing gears go to a shop that specializes in that....or take it to a new Ford dealer. Dealers have people that are specially trained in rear ends.........Ok, so it will cost a little more.....isn't that worth more than what Martinez is going through plus you have a warranty.......as for the crush spacer I would say that the OE should fit.........and if the gears are whining on deceleration it means the pinion is not tight enough.......meaning the crush spacer is loose.
If you are unsure of which crush spacer to buy....buy all three....you can always return the unused ones.........IMHO
Old 01-20-2016, 10:45 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I really don't understand people taking their cars to a "do it all shop"....if you want to have rear end work like changing gears go to a shop that specializes in that....or take it to a new Ford dealer. Dealers have people that are specially trained in rear ends.........Ok, so it will cost a little more.....isn't that worth more than what Martinez is going through plus you have a warranty.......as for the crush spacer I would say that the OE should fit.........and if the gears are whining on deceleration it means the pinion is not tight enough.......meaning the crush spacer is loose.
If you are unsure of which crush spacer to buy....buy all three....you can always return the unused ones.........IMHO
I bought the one to the right from Ford. The other two were either in the kit or on the original gears.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2016, 12:35 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I went to a shop called "gear master" in business for 30 years. 550.00...day and a half ....but never had any problems. My neighbor said he's done it....but I went to the PRO'S!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:59 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

All this bashing about going to the pros. I know I should have. I know I know I know. Please no more. I know what I should have done but now thats done and over. Im already stressing this enough as it is. I cant wait until Saturday.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:30 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Was not trying to bash you.....I think everyone has been in a situation like you've described at least once in their life......whether you've gotten in over your head trying to do something by yourself or have taken it to someone.
Albert Einstein said, "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new".
Old 01-20-2016, 01:33 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Was not trying to bash you.....I think everyone has been in a situation like you've described at least once in their life......whether you've gotten in over your head trying to do something by yourself or have taken it to someone.
Albert Einstein said, "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new".
Sorry man I took it wrong. It's just so stupidly stressful having to wait. I'm really hoping this guy gets it done. If he doesn't idk what Im going to do. Wait until I save up to take it somewhere else I guess. And then on top of that the shops here have a 1 month wait almost

Old 01-20-2016, 01:42 PM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez8191 View Post
Sorry man I took it wrong. It's just so stupidly stressful having to wait. I'm really hoping this guy gets it done. If he doesn't idk what Im going to do. Wait until I save up to take it somewhere else I guess. And then on top of that the shops here have a 1 month wait almost

I know how stressful this kind of thing can be and if the mechanic told you that the crush spacer was not right then he must know what he's doing...like I said, it will take a lot more than 50/60 miles to ruin the gears and probably 10 times that before you would have to replace them. I would assume he will pull the rear cover, drain the gear oil and check the gear pattern when he puts the new crush spacer in..............if not ask him why..........I don't remember what year and model you have.....make sure the friction reducer goes in with new gear oil.
Let us know how it goes.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:49 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know how stressful this kind of thing can be and if the mechanic told you that the crush spacer was not right then he must know what he's doing...like I said, it will take a lot more than 50/60 miles to ruin the gears and probably 10 times that before you would have to replace them. I would assume he will pull the rear cover, drain the gear oil and check the gear pattern when he puts the new crush spacer in..............if not ask him why..........I don't remember what year and model you have.....make sure the friction reducer goes in with new gear oil.
Let us know how it goes.
Will do man thanks. Hopefully this goes through well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang