I don't believe I've lost my mind but... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #1
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
I don't believe I've lost my mind but...

So I put some Granatelli sway bars on my car and asked here if a three piece rear sway bar was uncommon as my rear Granatelli bar seemed to me to clearly have two weld points with powder coat overtop. I asked them (more of a rib after the fact) about it and they are insisting their bars are all one piece molds and are not welded. See the two pics below. Are these weld points? Happy with the bars and I'm not making a big deal with Granatelli about it but for my own sanity... (We had some weather over the weekend. Sorry for the salt speckles.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0119161610.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	895.7 KB
ID:	195957   Click image for larger version

Name:	0119161610a.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	889.7 KB
ID:	195958  

2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2016, 07:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
To me this looks like corrosion causing the paint to bubble. I take it these are steel and not aluminum?
Old 01-20-2016, 03:58 AM   #3
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

They are steel. Both marks are perfectly around the circumference of the bar. Parts are bubbled as if sloppy weld other parts are neat and clean; all within the same ring around bar.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2016, 06:26 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
So how did she handle compared to the stock bars? I was looking at them before i bought some SR bars
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:42 AM   #5
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Car definitely is stiffer. I haven't had a chance to thrash it yet to see where she breaks now but body roll has certainly improved.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:52 AM   #6
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
if they are molded it could be where the mold cams/parts come together...see flash lines.

or where they are bent while molten where they are clamped.

I like the 2nd guess better

it does not look like weld to me but idk
Old 01-20-2016, 08:53 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
It's not a weld in my opinion.

Vote Ox Mustang of the Year 😬👍🏻
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:40 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Glad they worked out for you that was a good inexpensive mod for sure.
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:43 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Welcome to the wonderful world of Granetelli. You would not find me with a single one of their parts on my car if THEY paid ME. Would recommend you buy just about any other brand before these asshats.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:07 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
It's not a weld. It's oxidation issues cause from a poor prep job. What's your seeing is the bender marks on it.
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:05 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
It's not a weld. It's oxidation issues cause from a poor prep job. What's your seeing is the bender marks on it.
Hope that it doesn't snap on him going around a corner like Granatelli control arms have been documented doing (and Granatelli refusing to accept responsibility). I wonder which company's sway bar this is a rip off of as well...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:30 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Thanks for the input all. I'll take bad prep over three piece any day! The lines circled the circumference of the bar so in my untrained mind, it looked like a weld. Thanks all. But... Mild thrash test completed. All in the name of science of course. Body roll greatly improved. Car breaks entirely differently now when drifting or breaking rear end loose intentionally. Hard to put into words but more predictable than before but it's like a good rifle trigger now; pull pull pull and easy break like an ice cicle. Considering I don't track the car and provided they don't snap as Scotty noted, for $125, I'm happy.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:25 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton CIT View Post
Thanks for the input all. I'll take bad prep over three piece any day! The lines circled the circumference of the bar so in my untrained mind, it looked like a weld. Thanks all. But... Mild thrash test completed. All in the name of science of course. Body roll greatly improved. Car breaks entirely differently now when drifting or breaking rear end loose intentionally. Hard to put into words but more predictable than before but it's like a good rifle trigger now; pull pull pull and easy break like an ice cicle. Considering I don't track the car and provided they don't snap as Scotty noted, for $125, I'm happy.
I am a professional certified welder and would be happy to look at this bar but I don't see any pictures attached?

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:25 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

He had them before... its probably part of the forum maintenance going on that some pics got nuked. Basically it looks kinda like a really bad MIG bead but way too flat to be one.

Granatelli isn't exactly known for good parts as I've been harping on that point this entire thread. Sway bar will probably be fine but I'd recommend to the OP and anyone else looking to buy suspension parts. If you are going to go cheap... DON'T. Things like exhaust break or warp or don't align right it just sounds or looks like ***. Suspension part breaks and you could wind up as a smear on the asphalt.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:02 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Thanks Fabman. I just tried to upload them again and the forum is rejecting the upload. I know it was down earlier so I'm thinking the same as Scotty, server maintenance.

For the price I'm happy with the bars but this was comical, at least to me. Granatelli responded to my emailing them with concern and asked for a picture of what I perceived as welds. I sent them the same pics that are (were) up here. Got this reply a bit ago from them.

"The sway bars are stout. There is no issue with the construction. They should not break."

In my cynical older mind this sounds similar to 'I don't care the kool aid tastes funny, just drink it, it's fine!' While I'm not unhappy, if I had it to do over again, I'd drop the extra coin on the Eibach bars and rest easy.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:19 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton CIT View Post
Thanks Fabman. I just tried to upload them again and the forum is rejecting the upload. I know it was down earlier so I'm thinking the same as Scotty, server maintenance.

For the price I'm happy with the bars but this was comical, at least to me. Granatelli responded to my emailing them with concern and asked for a picture of what I perceived as welds. I sent them the same pics that are (were) up here. Got this reply a bit ago from them.

"The sway bars are stout. There is no issue with the construction. They should not break."

In my cynical older mind this sounds similar to 'I don't care the kool aid tastes funny, just drink it, it's fine!' While I'm not unhappy, if I had it to do over again, I'd drop the extra coin on the Eibach bars and rest easy.
I noticed they didn't address whether of not it was welded....just that it wouldn't break. Hmmm....

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
When I looked at the pics to me it looked like the spot it was clamped when they were bent, not a weld spot.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang