Possible brake issue on rotor - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-26-2016, 02:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Possible brake issue on rotor

Hey guys. 2014 mustang v6 performance pack. My question (and some of you may laugh) but I really don't know much about brakes.

My question is. On the two photos I uploaded (both front rotors) I noticed those dark lines/circles appearing. Is this an issue that could turn into something worse or is this normal and will go away or what? Any advice would be comforting. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1453840741.459699.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	196251Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1453840760.677270.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	196252

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
4lexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2016, 04:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone?

Old 01-26-2016, 06:01 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Can you feel them with your finger (i.e. are they grooves)? If not, I wouldn't stress...probably just some contaminant that got between pad and rotor and should go away.

If the rotors are deeply gouged/grooved, you may need to do something about it, but doesn't look that bad at all from the pics.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2016, 07:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Not that i can feel I feel few bumps noting crazy though

Old 01-26-2016, 07:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Been there for little while now

Old 01-26-2016, 07:53 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Then I think you're fine...kick back and have a beverage of your preferred type.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

They may be nothing or they could possibly be what is called, "Hard Spots". Hard spots may be the result of poor quality castings or from excessive heat that causes changes in the metallurgy of the rotors. Hard spots can often be seen as discolored patches on the face of the rotor.
Do you get any brake pedal pulsation or shudder when applying the brake (hard)? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.
If they are hard spots, they may eventually cause uneven wear that results in pedal pulsations when the brakes are applied. That's when you would consider replacing them.
Back to your beverage!
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
They may be nothing or they could possibly be what is called, "Hard Spots". Hard spots may be the result of poor quality castings or from excessive heat that causes changes in the metallurgy of the rotors. Hard spots can often be seen as discolored patches on the face of the rotor.
Do you get any brake pedal pulsation or shudder when applying the brake (hard)? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.
If they are hard spots, they may eventually cause uneven wear that results in pedal pulsations when the brakes are applied. That's when you would consider replacing them.
Back to your beverage!
+1.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:37 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I've been testing them and haven't been getting anything. Pulling , pulsation. Very very very minor when applying really really hard pressure is that normal? And do hard spots disappear?

Old 01-27-2016, 11:40 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
As mentioned they could be hard spots. If the dark marks are consistent the full circumference of the rotor it could be they were overheated...if they were overheated they could be warped and the pulsation when you apply the brakes slowly and evenly would show this. Also, depending on how many miles are on the car if someone replaced the brake pads without turning the rotors uneven ware could occur such as what you are showing in the pictures...as long as the pattern is the same all around the circumference of the rotor...IMHO
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:56 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The pulsation you may feel from hard braking is from the Anti lock brakes. Those marks look like normal wear and heat marks. Rotors are lighter than they were years ago so you will get wear marks in them as you put more miles on them. I have a 2013 with the performance package and my rotors look like yours. My color changes and more to the center than your, but no groves like yours. My car has 19k on it.
2013 RedMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:49 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 RedMustang View Post
The pulsation you may feel from hard braking is from the Anti lock brakes. Those marks look like normal wear and heat marks. Rotors are lighter than they were years ago so you will get wear marks in them as you put more miles on them. I have a 2013 with the performance package and my rotors look like yours. My color changes and more to the center than your, but no groves like yours. My car has 19k on it.
As I mentioned above...."the pulsation when you apply the brakes slowly and evenly will show you if the rotors are warped. Applying the brakes such as a panic stop will normally pulsate because of the ABS...another cause of marks is uneven wearing of the pads or not bedding in of the new pads correctly or run-out of the disc. Although my car was a 14 TrakPak in the 10k miles I put on the OE rotors there were no marks of any kind on them...
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:52 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
That sort of wear is totes normal. Hell you should see the rear rotors on my Expy lol.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:10 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
PP V6 brakes are same as GT brakes 05 to 09

Just looked at my 13 PP brakes and they look the same
camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:06 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Reference to warped rotors is very common but I don't believe warped rotors are common at all.
I have experience at least a few cases of what feels like a warped rotor, over the many years that I have been driving and doing my own brakes. In every case, when I put a gauge next to the rotor and rotated it, I found it to be true. That is, not warped.
I believe in every one of my experiences, that either the rotor warps when heated while braking or that they had hard(hot) spots.

In fact I have the problem right now on my Charger. And it's been getting progressively worse as time goes by. At slow to medium speeds , no problem and absolutely no feel of pulsation when applying light to medium braking. But at higher speeds and braking medium to hard, I get the classic pulsating, and feel it strongly in the steering wheel. Time for a new pair of front rotors.

EDIT: Interesting article by StopTech
Myth # 1 – BRAKE JUDDER AND VIBRATION IS CAUSED BY DISCS THAT HAVE BEEN WARPED FROM EXCESSIVE HEAT.
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:19 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Pads also create a transfer layer of material onto the rotor surface. My Carbotech XP10s turned my rotors blue / purple.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:04 AM   #17

Region: Canada
Long time form watcher. I got the pp pack and I'm around 50,000 km and mine pulsated the last 4 months I drove it... Should I consider switching my brakes out next summer? I'm from Canada, Saskatchewan to make it longer...

Bus3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:17 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Mine look the same, it's normal wear.

2013 Premium Performance White

Bama 93 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripe, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows, all lights tinted

Last Mod: Bama 93 Race Tune

IG: chaznungaray

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:25 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I been playing with cars since 1969 and that is normal wear as for warped rotors I hear a lot about them but I have only had one set ever warp on me and among all my friends only seen two more in all those years and all 3 times they wear cheap no name rotor. Best brake set up I ever used and have been hooked on them since 1993 are power slot rotors and Hawk ceramic pads.
Logan541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:35 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I've had the cheap duracrap rotors warp on me. Since then I buy only Raybestos from Rockauto and have been totally good.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang