V8 exhaust on a V6? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-28-2016, 01:12 PM   #1

Region: North Carolina
V8 exhaust on a V6?

I was wondering if I could put a v8 exhaust on my v6 to make it sound deeper. If not what is the deepest exhaust you would recommend. Talked to many people at american muscle but I don't think they're giving me truthful answers.
ben_jetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2016, 01:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_jetta View Post
I was wondering if I could put a v8 exhaust on my v6 to make it sound deeper. If not what is the deepest exhaust you would recommend. Talked to many people at american muscle but I don't think they're giving me truthful answers.
They're not giving your the answer you want to hear, or are they not giving you the truth? Your v6 is never going to sound like an 8. I'm sure there are exhausts out there that will sound nice though.
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I have heard a few bad things about AM. To be honest, I love them. They are truthful and will help you. I had questions regarding other shops and buying parts at other places and they helped a lot. They didnt push me aside or anything just because I wasnt ordering from them. A v6 wont ever sound like a v8. But you want a deeper tone. If you are looking to get a good growl get the Borla ATAK's. A lot of people say they are very loud. But they arent. Not to me at least. They dont sound overly loud. UNLESS you get an offroad H Pipe then it just screams. But its a good scream. Personal experience, i love ATAK's. Other people will give you their personal preference.
martinez8191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2016, 02:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

American muscle is great. And what do you mean by a v8 exhaust ? That kind of makes no sense

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Mac o/r H pipe. Flow master super 44s. Accufab 70mm throttle body. Pro comp intake manifold. MSD coils
alecas447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecas447 View Post
American muscle is great. And what do you mean by a v8 exhaust ? That kind of makes no sense

Mac o/r H pipe. Flow master super 44s. Accufab 70mm throttle body. Pro comp intake manifold. MSD coils
I'm assuming he meant the mufflers and possibly the mid pipe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
martinez8191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:59 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Most of the difference in V8 and V6 exhaust is fitment and sizing. The deep and muscular sound the V8 has doesn't come from the exhaust, it comes from the extra displacement and 2 other cylinders. Its not some magic exhaust set up that only the V8s have.

It sounds like they just weren't telling you what you want to hear.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez8191 View Post
I'm assuming he meant the mufflers and possibly the mid pipe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

From the GT? Or physically buying an exhaust that was meant for a GT and putting it on a v6?

Old 01-28-2016, 03:05 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Doesn't a V8 use larger diameter tubing, there for you would get a deeper growl? But the larger V8 exhaust would not bolt up to our small headers without modification. Then AM would be right.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:07 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
Doesn't a V8 use larger diameter tubing, there for you would get a deeper growl? But the larger V8 exhaust would not bolt up to our small headers without modification. Then AM would be right.
You are technically right. But the majority of the sound difference is the displacement and 2 more cylinders. You could stick a smaller exhaust piping on a V8 and it will still be MUCH deeper than the V6. The difference is pretty much negligible when comparing different engine sizes.

The most common question i hear from V6 guys is how to make it sound like a V8. The clear and cut answer is that you just cannot. You can make it sound deeper and better, but you cannot make it sound like a V8. Thats probably what he asked and what he was told.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Your probably right. Ever hear a 8v92 Detroit, then a 6v Detriot? They both sound like 2 strokes screemin, but difference is obvious.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:21 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Most of the difference in V8 and V6 exhaust is fitment and sizing. The deep and muscular sound the V8 has doesn't come from the exhaust, it comes from the extra displacement and 2 other cylinders. Its not some magic exhaust set up that only the V8s have.

It sounds like they just weren't telling you what you want to hear.
That's exactly what is happening here. AM likely told him that he could do the swap but it won't sound like a V8 and he'd be better served getting one of their V6 kits. Which he would be...

OP... you bought a V6. It will sound like a V6. This is not a bad thing.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:28 PM   #12
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Ben - I would hope that our men and women are providing the most straight forward answers possible but in all actuality if you see a flowmaster american thunder listed for a gt, and one listed for the v6, they're going to have the same muffler, piping materials, and their only difference are likely going to be based on piping diameter. Being said there's really no benefit from running anything labeled GT on a v6. I'm here to help narrow down the "deepest" sound for you but help me understand a little more!

Chambered Muffler - Definitely the deepest in my opinion

Cylindrical Shot - Gun Style Muffler - It will have some packing materials but predominantly it will give your car a little but more of a raps.

Muffler Delete - All Rasp

Here's a few examples:

Deep (In my opinion)

(Throaty) Middle of the Road (Some might even classify as raspy, but wait for the car to get out of cold start until it's warm) Lot's of snap, crackle, pop

(Muffler Delete - All Rasp) Volume down!

Please let me know if you have any questions at all. I'm here to help and I've heard and driven with damn near every system here!

Alex

Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:32 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

^This is why I could never be a CS rep. I'm way too much of an *******. Props to Alex for taking the high road. Also he is paid to lol.

I'm going to assume what Alex is saying is exactly what the reps that the OP talked to said. But he wants the Cyclone to magically sound like the Coyote... Which can be accomplished with a simple trade in and upgrade to a GT lol.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:54 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Deep Exhaust Note

To OP and Alex,
I love my Force II"s
It's a pleasure watching you do your thing here on mevo! Just want you to know that it is appreciated.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
OP here is your solution. Off-road Mac Prochamber, Flowmaster 10's, and all 2.5 inch tubing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 01-28-2016, 06:08 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
I've always had good luck with American Muscle, quick to respond (just why don't you pull my name for one of the drawings Alex! You seem to keep missing me on that LOL).

The GT exhaust is 2.5". The 3.7 uses a 2.25" exhaust. So without doing some kind of adapter, you can't take the GT mufflers and put them on your 3.7 - and if you swap the over axle/mid pipes, you still need an adapter to get get it to fit to your down tubes or X pipe.

They can fit, you just need to make some adapters. With the turbo I had to go with a full GT exhaust system from the turbo back. When I pulled the turbo off last week, my shop had to make an adapter to transition from the stock X pipe since I didn't have the rest of the stock exhaust (I kept the X pipe but lost the overaxle/mid pipes somewhere along the way.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:33 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
OP, you need to purchase axle backs that are made for our 3.7 model not a 4.6 or 5.0. Putting on a V8 muffler will not make your 3.7 sound like a V8. If one could get the V8 axlebacks to fit onto the 3.7, your exhaust will still sound like a V6. The V8 deep sound begins with the extra two cylinders the V8 has over our V6.

OP, can you repeat after me? My V6 will not and is not going to sound like a V8 mustang so I will stop trying for that. Good, your going to set yourself up for failure. The good news is, our 3.7's can be made to sound very aggressive and have a sweet sounding growl.

If you want the most aggressive deep sounding exhaust tone one can get on our 3.7's go with the following:

Shorty ceramic headers
Off road H pipe
Borla Atak axle backs or Flowmaster Force II axle backs.

This will give a great sounding aggressive deeper V6.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:09 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

To answer OP's question. I put a new (<500 miles) pair of 14 GT mufflers on my 14 v6 auto. Craigslist $50.00 & muffler shop did the welding for $40.00.
Little if any difference in sound. However the rolled tips look very good to me, and there is NO drone.
I sold my take offs for $25, so for $65.00 I'm happy.
If you want more noise, do something else.
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:21 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
OP, you need to purchase axle backs that are made for our 3.7 model not a 4.6 or 5.0. Putting on a V8 muffler will not make your 3.7 sound like a V8. If one could get the V8 axlebacks to fit onto the 3.7, your exhaust will still sound like a V6. The V8 deep sound begins with the extra two cylinders the V8 has over our V6.

OP, can you repeat after me? My V6 will not and is not going to sound like a V8 mustang so I will stop trying for that. Good, your going to set yourself up for failure. The good news is, our 3.7's can be made to sound very aggressive and have a sweet sounding growl.

If you want the most aggressive deep sounding exhaust tone one can get on our 3.7's go with the following:

Shorty ceramic headers
Off road H pipe
Borla Atak axle backs or Flowmaster Force II axle backs.

This will give a great sounding aggressive deeper V6.

They have 2 cylinder kits for OP. Maybe that will solve his problem

Old 01-29-2016, 01:43 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Also most american v8 have an uneven fireing order which gives it that burble and deep tone. Can't get that from a v6

Sent from my LG-AS811 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:48 AM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I'm wondering if the OP, who has a post count of 1, may be having a giggle at our expense...
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:05 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecas447 View Post
They have 2 cylinder kits for OP. Maybe that will solve his problem

That's true because I did the two cylinder delete kit. Lol.

2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:33 AM   #23
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:

What were their answers?

side note: If any V8 owner decides to do the 2 cylinder delete I'd be interested in buying them.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:16 AM   #24
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
^This is why I could never be a CS rep. I'm way too much of an *******. Props to Alex for taking the high road. Also he is paid to lol.

I'm going to assume what Alex is saying is exactly what the reps that the OP talked to said. But he wants the Cyclone to magically sound like the Coyote... Which can be accomplished with a simple trade in and upgrade to a GT lol.

Scott you know me well enough to know that pay has nothing to do with it here.

I've got c16 in my veins and appreciate damn near anything with wheels and a motor.

My jobs to help educate and just like it had been said above (Shade) you can take the muffler from a GT but they're going to be used, likely rusty ( <3 Ford ) and they're really not going to benefit the car at all.

What I'm getting at after having this conversation a few different ways over the past 5 years is why bother driving around, meeting someone on craigslist, get your car dirty, make an appointment, drop the car, pay and risk for someone to do a crap weld job.

Doesn't make any sense to me! In all honest, I've heard Cyclones at idle that sound like GT's.

MPT Cam tune, O/R X, Pype Bombs - Yeah it's noisy but you're going to want to wear earplugs on a 5 minute drive.

Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 01-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
In all honest, I've heard Cyclones at idle that sound like GT's.
When I had Long Tubes, O/R X and Borla S Type Axleback, it sounded pretty damn close to a V8 at idle. As soon as you touch the pedal though.... RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASP lol. I miss the obnoxious loudness at times...

DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:28 AM   #26
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
To OP and Alex,
I love my Force II"s

It's a pleasure watching you do your thing here on mevo! Just want you to know that it is appreciated.
Thanks for the kind words Ox. I love Mevo, it's my 2nd home!

That's exactly why I suggest Flowmaster too, They make a great kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I've always had good luck with American Muscle, quick to respond (just why don't you pull my name for one of the drawings Alex! You seem to keep missing me on that LOL).

The GT exhaust is 2.5". The 3.7 uses a 2.25" exhaust. So without doing some kind of adapter, you can't take the GT mufflers and put them on your 3.7 - and if you swap the over axle/mid pipes, you still need an adapter to get get it to fit to your down tubes or X pipe.

Oh Jim you know I'm not just picking names out of a hat!

Thanks for bringing up the specs too. I knew that it was in that neighborhood just not totally sure. It's another reason. Why bother piecing the kit together when you could just get a new system.

Thanks for your feedback here.
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 01-29-2016, 10:41 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
V8 exhaust on a V6?

2.5" straight piping from the cats back. I have a friend that got the magnalfow catback system and she regretted it after hearing my car. I know it's not a great video but you can hear a little bit of what it sounds like.
http://youtu.be/AtOetWIwtvw

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:51 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I think the op was asking if they would fit, as to a 11 to 14 I don't know for sure, but think due to the 3.7 having a bigger front pipe they will. on my 07 v6 I used a pypes x pipe that upsized the out let into stock gt mid pipes with a pair of take off gt mufflers. sound wise it is louder then a stock v6 single, the sound is very mellow yet still v6 due to the firing order, there is no drone inside to give any ones other half head aches. the big give away I have to deal with is the whining sound of the x charger.

not to hijack the thread the old Detroit diesels " better known to truckers as double breasted Yamahas" came in 3-4 or 6 in lines, the v's came in 6-8 or 12's. size wise they were built as 53-54- 71- 92 and 149 cubic inches per cylinder plus bigger for trains and boats. most of what I worked on were 53- 71-92 and 149 inch models. for generators, big rigs and in boats.
crazy they were, they had intake ports in the sleeves, 2 or 4 exhaust valves in the heads. with out the blowers they will not run as the blower pressurizes the block so just after firing and the piston top reaches the intake ports, the exhaust valves open, the blower forcing cold air in also forces out the hot combustion air all done in 2 strokes of the crank, big down side was pollution and oil leaks, total engine time before a top end over haul was normally about 2.000 hours, after that they would run but sure leak and be hard to start, they had many features from the beginning like common rail injection, injector racks. 2 piece pistons, a cast iron dome with a alloy skirt ,4 rings per piston . compact size.
attached is a shot of my pride and joy. a 1988 ocean 48 ss, when I got her in 1992 she had twin 6-71 tib "turbo, intercooled blown" Detroit's of 485 hp each side now she runs with twin CAT C12A 715 MHP Diesels
captchas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:31 AM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by captchas View Post
I think the op was asking if they would fit, as to a 11 to 14 I don't know for sure, but think due to the 3.7 having a bigger front pipe they will.
The 3.7 doesn't use a bigger system. It is 2.25" and the GT uses a 2.5". It is actually smaller than the 4.0 used after the cat.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:26 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
The 3.7 doesn't use a bigger system. It is 2.25" and the GT uses a 2.5". It is actually smaller than the 4.0 used after the cat.
if that is so, why dose mine measure 2.5 all the way back?
Old 02-01-2016, 05:47 AM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captchas View Post
if that is so, why dose mine measure 2.5 all the way back?
ID or OD?
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:29 AM   #32
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I believe they are discussing different years Capt has a 2007 OP has ? but posted his first & only post in the 2011-14 section
Old 02-01-2016, 06:39 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I believe they are discussing different years Capt has a 2007 OP has ? but posted his first & only post in the 2011-14 section
along with my pride and joy 1970 ,I have a much modified blown v6 07 with a up sized exhaust using gt parts from the pypes cat back y pipe and a 2012 v6 w the performance package whose pipes do measure 2.5 od all the way back
specs are in here states 2.5 inch intermediate pipes http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fm.../model/mustang
Old 02-01-2016, 08:08 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fm.../model/mustang
this is the ford racing y pipe again it states 2.5 inches
Old 02-01-2016, 12:42 PM   #35
Staff
Regular
Staff

Just FYI, the OP only logged onto this forum to post that and has not logged on since. Don't know if he/she ever read any of this or is on some other forum trying to make the Cyclone sound like a Coyote.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust