Is the procharger worth it? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-29-2016, 05:24 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I think people are confusing the two scenarios. Camper doesn't seem interested in beating people at the track, he just wants to disappoint some v8 owners at red lights. I'm the same way man which is why I'm modifying my v6, if I cared about the drag strip then the obvious answer would be to get the GT. But for the people that just want to surprise some GT owners and put a smile on your face doing so then keeping your v6 is the answer. And he is right MOST mustang owners don't modify there cars. I say go for it camper.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2016, 05:38 PM   #37
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Hi Chris44117,

I know you have your opinion but I think your talking Rear Wheel Horsepower, About 260 RWHP equates to at least 300 or a little more at the Crankshaft.

Mine registered 271 RWHP on the dyno two years ago.
A 2012- 3.7 V6 with mods at bottom of this post.

Of course not every engine is exact but these Cyclone engines are very good and put out very good power when you let them breath.

They will "NEVER" sound like a V8, or have the appeal of a good old American V8 and of course never have the loyalty of the V8 guys.
***********************************BUT****************************************************
The Ford 3.7 V6 engine is a great design and puts out the 305 Horsepower in stock form at the crank that Ford says it does. A CAI and good set of mufflers do add a little more upper RPM performance but just driving around, Not much different then stock.
But there are a heck of a lot of us that love our V6 engines and when you don't race or run with your foot to the floor everyplace you go. This engine is just fine.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:03 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

I think people are confusing the two scenarios. Camper doesn't seem interested in beating people at the track, he just wants to disappoint some v8 owners at red lights. I'm the same way man which is why I'm modifying my v6, if I cared about the drag strip then the obvious answer would be to get the GT. But for the people that just want to surprise some GT owners and put a smile on your face doing so then keeping your v6 is the answer. And he is right MOST mustang owners don't modify there cars. I say go for it camper.

Exactly! The 3.7 with 6 bolt mains is a great motor that can handle more power when ready! Not designed to beat 5.0's in a straight line, there's plenty of back half fox body's out there still doing the schooling at the 1/4 mile. That said a Procharger on a 3.7 is a formidable machine on the street and a road course with the suspension mods in place.
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2016, 06:04 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1454112217.585548.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	196365
Supercharged v6... Less of them on the road... 410rwhp and 320 torque

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, procharger supercharger, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:11 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by camper View Post
I already have a 4 inch DSS Driveshaft, Vogtland 1 inch lower (and stiffer) suspension, UPR upper control arm, Steeda upper strut mounts, Steeda CAI, cat back and BAMA 93 tune. The car is well behaved. I agree that the hp wars can go on infinitely. What I don't agree with is the rubber stamp sentiment from some that all the work on a 3.7 just brings it up to stock 5.0 territory which is BS. I've driven a 5.0 and it's fast to be sure but stock (non performance pack) 5.0's are more nose heavy in turns. Ford (and many others) have had great success on race tracks by boosting lighter cars and that's what I'm attempting to point out.
No one said 'all the work on a 3.7 just brings it up to stock 5.0 territory' with enough money anything can be made fast. All our comments were in regard to the OP who owns as far as we know a base V6 with 2.73 gears that is stock. What we said was that adding a supercharger to that will likely not beat a stock 5.0 down the track and that it is not as simple as spending 5700. You would need a tune and DS at minimum which adds roughly 1800 to the cost bringing the total to $7500 and still having 215 tires in the back.

Given that you have exhaust, suspension and DS out of the way you basically have full bolt on's. If you add a SC you will likely get more out of it and be able to put it to the ground better. Which will likely beat a stock 5.0. But you have to think you have roughly 2-3 k in mods now. Throw in the price of a SC and your at close to 10 k in total mods.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:17 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Lol! Since op is/did test drive a 5.0...
welcome to the 5.0 world. You ain't going back no matter how many graphs you look at
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:21 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Hi Chris44117,

I know you have your opinion but I think your talking Rear Wheel Horsepower, About 260 RWHP equates to at least 300 or a little more at the Crankshaft.

Mine registered 271 RWHP on the dyno two years ago.
A 2012- 3.7 V6 with mods at bottom of this post.

Of course not every engine is exact but these Cyclone engines are very good and put out very good power when you let them breath.

They will "NEVER" sound like a V8, or have the appeal of a good old American V8 and of course never have the loyalty of the V8 guys.
***********************************BUT****************************************************
The Ford 3.7 V6 engine is a great design and puts out the 305 Horsepower in stock form at the crank that Ford says it does. A CAI and good set of mufflers do add a little more upper RPM performance but just driving around, Not much different then stock.
But there are a heck of a lot of us that love our V6 engines and when you don't race or run with your foot to the floor everyplace you go. This engine is just fine.

Ronnie

I said "whp" wheel horsepower. Not the power to the crankshaft.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-29-2016, 07:11 PM   #43
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
If owning a 5.0 makes someone feel important to the car world and give themselves a chubby saying they own a 5.0 instead of a 3.7, super cool.

You should see the size of my chubby after I even think about my 5.0...well hello there πŸ˜€πŸ‘ŒπŸ»

Hahahaha.

Vote Ox Mustang of the Year πŸ˜¬πŸ‘πŸ»
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:24 PM   #44
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
You should see the size of my chubby after I even think about my 5.0...well hello there πŸ˜€πŸ‘ŒπŸ»

Hahahaha.

5.0 inches?

πŸ˜€

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:35 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:

Hahahaha.

That's because you are the man. You chub master.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:36 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
http://youtu.be/lhVVCO8zXtY

Pretty cool video of a procharged 3.7 in the 1/4
Billymccrary3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:40 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Op don't get the procharger supercharger it made my car heavier, slower. And more sluggish... Definitely does not turn heads when I step on it...

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, procharger supercharger, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
Old 01-29-2016, 08:41 PM   #48
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

If it is just a butt kicking stoplight jump then you don't really need a pro=charger.
A good aluminum drive shaft.
A tune
Some nice sticky Nitto or Micky Thompson tires on the drive axle.
And THIS

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mg...FUc2gQodF6YMsw

Way less money and will put you in the back of your seat.
Just floor it in second or even third and your "GONE"
Ronnie
Old 01-29-2016, 08:47 PM   #49
Registered Member

Regular

Is the procharger worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
5.0 inches?

πŸ˜€

In diameter πŸ˜‰

---------- Post added at 02:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
That's because you are the man. You chub master.

Lmao

You love to set me up for these epic posts πŸ˜‚

Old 01-29-2016, 08:49 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
In diameter πŸ˜‰

---------- Post added at 02:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 AM ----------

Lmao

---------- Post added at 02:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 AM ----------

They don't call oxford thicker than a snicker for nothing. Ha ha ha.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:57 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
Attachment 196365
Supercharged v6... Less of them on the road... 410rwhp and 320 torque

While the 410 rwhp is awesome I must admit the 320 rwtq is a bit shocking too me. I'm a little disappointed to see such low torque numbers for F.I. I'm not expecting 500 rwtq from it but 390 to 400 rwtq would be nice.

I'm going to assume a turbo would give far better torque numbers along with nitrous. OP, just curious but why not turbo or spray 100 shot. Nitrous gives amazing rwhp along with even more torque. Depending on your current mods 100 shot of nitrous could give you easy 370 rwhp and 400 rwtq. That's more like it!

Old 01-29-2016, 09:31 PM   #52
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Central Florida Motorsports

Ronnie
Old 01-29-2016, 09:31 PM   #53
Staff
Regular
Staff

From all the numbers I've seen the turbo kits for the 3.7 have a very similar torque to hp number, over 400. The Procharger=simplicity and much faster than NA obviously but 320tq will get the 3.7 its *** handed to it by a bone stock Coyote.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:32 PM   #54
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Central Florida Motorsports

Ronnie
CFM are a bunch of asshats, just FYI.

Lump them in with LPF.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:06 AM   #55
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
From all the numbers I've seen the turbo kits for the 3.7 have a very similar torque to hp number, over 400. The Procharger=simplicity and much faster than NA obviously but 320tq will get the 3.7 its *** handed to it by a bone stock Coyote.
Be neat to have a kit like this build 3.7 TWIN TURBO BUILD. Thing should spool like crazy and if done right, you could just set the gates to stay open on the fly (when desired) and pretty much get the stock V6 mileage.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:40 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

scottydsntknow doesn't know - sorry

Hello scottydsntknow, I'm ready to let this one die but I can't let your last comment go - Sorry!

You said "From all the numbers I've seen the turbo kits for the 3.7 have a very similar torque to hp number, over 400. The Procharger=simplicity and much faster than NA obviously but 320tq will get the 3.7 its *** handed to it by a bone stock Coyote."

A bone stock 5.0 is putting 360 to the wheels whereas the 3.7 with procharger is putting over 400 to the wheels and it weighs 200 less lbs.

I know, I know, HP numbers win bragging rights and Torque numbers win drag races. With all that nonsense out of the way a properly set up 3.7 with procharger will beat a bone stock 5.0 every time!

A properly set up 5.0 will win even more races agreed! But not a 'bone stock 5.0 versus a properly setup 3.7 and if a guy is taking the time and effort to add a procharger to his 3.7, it will most likely be properly setup!

And that same guy will be awake at the stop light if he went to the trouble to do the work.

Nobody that buys just the procharger for the 3.7 expects to just show up and dust 5.0's or SS Camaros.

They do expect once they've done their homework, a few mods (suspension, intake, exhaust), to surprise some folks and that is just what a lot of 3.7 guys are doing.

Have a great day!
Old 01-30-2016, 05:15 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

The pro charger is totally worth it if someone is happy with the 3.7 platform and not ones dream to own the V8, 5.0.

If one truly desires to own a 5.0, v8 then one will be highly disappointed by supercharging their v6 because one thing it will never be, a V8.

OP, I personally would roll F.I. with my 3.7 but then again I don't care all that much to own a V8 mustang. Its not a goal or dream of mine at the current time.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:44 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by camper View Post
Hello scottydsntknow, I'm ready to let this one die but I can't let your last comment go - Sorry!

You said "From all the numbers I've seen the turbo kits for the 3.7 have a very similar torque to hp number, over 400. The Procharger=simplicity and much faster than NA obviously but 320tq will get the 3.7 its *** handed to it by a bone stock Coyote."

A bone stock 5.0 is putting 360 to the wheels whereas the 3.7 with procharger is putting over 400 to the wheels and it weighs 200 less lbs.

I know, I know, HP numbers win bragging rights and Torque numbers win drag races. With all that nonsense out of the way a properly set up 3.7 with procharger will beat a bone stock 5.0 every time!

A properly set up 5.0 will win even more races agreed! But not a 'bone stock 5.0 versus a properly setup 3.7 and if a guy is taking the time and effort to add a procharger to his 3.7, it will most likely be properly setup!

And that same guy will be awake at the stop light if he went to the trouble to do the work.

Nobody that buys just the procharger for the 3.7 expects to just show up and dust 5.0's or SS Camaros.

They do expect once they've done their homework, a few mods (suspension, intake, exhaust), to surprise some folks and that is just what a lot of 3.7 guys are doing.

Have a great day!
Power to weight, have to agree with camper.
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:06 AM   #59
Staff
Regular
Staff

Are we going to now start using hp per liter like the ricers?

Look I'm not saying it's worthless to do a procharger or whatever. And yes a PROPERLY SETUP supercharged V6 will beat a bone stock coyote if you have suspension and gears on him... But at that point you are well beyond bone stock Coyote cost and the coyote owner will need very little to be way back out in front.

I know we keep going back and forth on this but... If you want Coyote power and you are buying new, buy a Coyote. The v6 is of you still want a fun Mustang that you can daily and get 30mpg.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:34 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think the procharger is worth it because it's so limited but the the jmp twin turbo kit is. These numbers are on 12lbs of boost and if u account for the price of the kit and installation then yes you are spending more than a GT. But your only going over by about 1-2k which will make itself back with insurance and gas price difference. But you can throw a "tune and exhaust" and get these numbers with a GT. Your going to have to add a major power adder to beat this 3.7.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1454171677.228657.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	196393

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #61
Registered Member

Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1454172082.196177.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	196394

Old 01-30-2016, 12:16 PM   #62
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris44117 View Post
I don't think the procharger is worth it because it's so limited but the the jmp twin turbo kit is. These numbers are on 12lbs of boost and if u account for the price of the kit and installation then yes you are spending more than a GT. But your only going over by about 1-2k which will make itself back with insurance and gas price difference. But you can throw a "tune and exhaust" and get these numbers with a GT. Your going to have to add a major power adder to beat this 3.7.Attachment 196393

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Dyno numbers are one thing, plenty of dyno queens out there that will lose to a car making substantially less power. Only way I'd do a Cyclone power adder is that twin turbo kit and an automatic.

Quote:
Attachment 196394

Nevar!

Old 01-30-2016, 01:20 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Are we going to now start using hp per liter like the ricers?

Look I'm not saying it's worthless to do a procharger or whatever. And yes a PROPERLY SETUP supercharged V6 will beat a bone stock coyote if you have suspension and gears on him... But at that point you are well beyond bone stock Coyote cost and the coyote owner will need very little to be way back out in front.

I know we keep going back and forth on this but... If you want Coyote power and you are buying new, buy a Coyote. The v6 is of you still want a fun Mustang that you can daily and get 30mpg.

^^This^^
It really doesn't get much simpler.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:40 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris44117 View Post
I don't think the procharger is worth it because it's so limited but the the jmp twin turbo kit is. These numbers are on 12lbs of boost and if u account for the price of the kit and installation then yes you are spending more than a GT. But your only going over by about 1-2k which will make itself back with insurance and gas price difference. But you can throw a "tune and exhaust" and get these numbers with a GT. Your going to have to add a major power adder to beat this 3.7.Attachment 196393

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1

Does anyone know how these jmp turbos are doing in the 1/4? Cause all I have seen is Dyno's
Billymccrary3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dyno numbers are one thing, plenty of dyno queens out there that will lose to a car making substantially less power. Only way I'd do a Cyclone power adder is that twin turbo kit and an automatic.

Nevar!

Well I'm making progress I'm glad we are both halfway on the same page here.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #66
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

This can't be much easier to answer:
Ask yourself these questions,
Are you going to be keeping your Mustang for a very long time.???
Do you like having less expensive insurance on your V6 ????
Do you love your Mustang as much now as on the day you bought it????
Do you want a pro-charger ?????
Do you think you need one????

If you love the Mustang you have and you want to pro-charge it. Do it.
Where I live in Florida, All the horsepower in the world is useless because there is really no place to enjoy using it. ( UNLESS YOU TRACK OR AUTO-X)

If I wanted more useful seat of the pants from a stoplight ZIP, It would be gears.
If I wanted to impress my friends I would get a GT or pro-charge my V6.

Ask anybody on any of these forums that have gone to a lower ratio rear gear set how much it makes a huge difference in acceleration.
Go from a 2.73 to a 3.73 or 4.11 and do a tune to not only get your speed-o-meter corrected but better compliment the gears and you will think you are driving a different Mustang.
The gears, The Aluminum drive shaft, The tuner, and installation is still a whole lot cheaper then A pro-charger or Turbo. It is the best bang for the buck you are going to ever get.

Ronnie
Old 01-30-2016, 01:57 PM   #67

Region: Illinois
Give me the V8 any day! I own a 2013 Boss 302 and absolutely love it every time I get behind the wheel. Whoever coined the phrase; No replacement for displacement, spoke the truth.
dkr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:08 PM   #68
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkr77 View Post
Give me the V8 any day! I own a 2013 Boss 302 and absolutely love it every time I get behind the wheel. Whoever coined the phrase; No replacement for displacement, spoke the truth.
Lol except the new 5.0s are all about displacement replacement. Little 302 makes an awful lot of power. Chevy and Dodge are the ones that have the 6.2 and 6.4 motors making like 400+ ft lbs at 2500 rpm which is what the 5.0 lacks.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:10 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymccrary3 View Post
Does anyone know how these jmp turbos are doing in the 1/4? Cause all I have seen is Dyno's

That's my dyno sheet. Currently waiting on a few suspension parts to show up. Once they do, I will be going to the track.

Ig: 3.7_THOR

2011 3.7 mustang
Eric e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:59 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1454201971.240241.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	196427

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang