Is the procharger worth it? - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-30-2016, 09:49 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric e View Post
That's my dyno sheet. Currently waiting on a few suspension parts to show up. Once they do, I will be going to the track.

Ig: 3.7_THOR

2011 3.7 mustang

Will make sure to post it up when you do! I'm really interested to see how this kit does on the track!
Billymccrary3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2016, 10:07 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper View Post
Exactly! The 3.7 with 6 bolt mains is a great motor that can handle more power when ready! Not designed to beat 5.0's in a straight line, there's plenty of back half fox body's out there still doing the schooling at the 1/4 mile. That said a Procharger on a 3.7 is a formidable machine on the street and a road course with the suspension mods in place.
3.7 on a road course = pure win, we track ours quite regularly.
3.7 with a [rocharger = pure fail on a road course. Any car with a procharger = pure fail on a road course really, lots of heat, tons of weight all hanging off the nose, just ... no. I wasnt going to comment strictly on that until i felt the need to respond to the below statement as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper View Post
Hello scottydsntknow, I'm ready to let this one die but I can't let your last comment go - Sorry!

You said "From all the numbers I've seen the turbo kits for the 3.7 have a very similar torque to hp number, over 400. The Procharger=simplicity and much faster than NA obviously but 320tq will get the 3.7 its *** handed to it by a bone stock Coyote."

A bone stock 5.0 is putting 360 to the wheels whereas the 3.7 with procharger is putting over 400 to the wheels and it weighs 200 less lbs.

I know, I know, HP numbers win bragging rights and Torque numbers win drag races. With all that nonsense out of the way a properly set up 3.7 with procharger will beat a bone stock 5.0 every time!

A properly set up 5.0 will win even more races agreed! But not a 'bone stock 5.0 versus a properly setup 3.7 and if a guy is taking the time and effort to add a procharger to his 3.7, it will most likely be properly setup!

And that same guy will be awake at the stop light if he went to the trouble to do the work.

Nobody that buys just the procharger for the 3.7 expects to just show up and dust 5.0's or SS Camaros.

They do expect once they've done their homework, a few mods (suspension, intake, exhaust), to surprise some folks and that is just what a lot of 3.7 guys are doing.

Have a great day!
My bone stock coyote put 380 to the wheels ... maybe some autos on a low reading dyno are doing 360, but my 5.0 made 382 whp 352 wtq bone stock. So if we can just out and assume the dyno numbers are comparable to the 410 / 320 mentioned by another member here, my car would be down 30 ish horsepower, but up 30 ish torque. The 5.0 also has a transmission with better gearing. Gearing + power band > power to weight. The 5.0 is still faster.

Like i said, if you want it to have fun that's fine, but don't make hurting feelings your goal. Sure, you may hurt some, but still ...
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:19 AM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris44117 View Post
I don't think the procharger is worth it because it's so limited but the the jmp twin turbo kit is. These numbers are on 12lbs of boost and if u account for the price of the kit and installation then yes you are spending more than a GT. But your only going over by about 1-2k which will make itself back with insurance and gas price difference. But you can throw a "tune and exhaust" and get these numbers with a GT. Your going to have to add a major power adder to beat this 3.7.Attachment 196393

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Reason I couldn't get the 5.0 the insurance was outrageous

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
bamaboy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2016, 06:52 AM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy2014 View Post
Reason I couldn't get the 5.0 the insurance was outrageous

For some people it just may be outrageous, based on age, driving history, marital status!

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:35 AM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
For some people it just may be outrageous, based on age, driving history, marital status!

Well I'm 20, so I think that says enough about my insurance.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:18 AM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris44117 View Post
Well I'm 20, so I think that says enough about my insurance.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
That sums it right up. Just bend over and open your wallet. Lol.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:09 AM   #77
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Bend over and open something anyway...

20, male, not married=prepare thy anus.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:35 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Bend over and open something anyway...

20, male, not married=prepare thy anus.
Wtf lol

bamaboy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:31 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wtf lol

That's what I said lol

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-31-2016, 06:10 PM   #80

If you have the funds why not do a 5.0 swap and call it a day.
stangnat1on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:09 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Wtf lol

It's the testosterone curse. Takes over your brain and makes you do things and possibly not see things which result in more accidents, speeding tickets, running over curbs so insurance is higher. Maybe ask your friends father or uncle, better yet mother or aunt next time.
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:29 PM   #82
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangnat1on View Post
If you have the funds why not do a 5.0 swap and call it a day.
Because that is absolutely pointless in a 11-14 V6. Unless you get the car for free. That said I think a real cool project would be to find a dirt cheap 05-09 V6 with a blown engine/drivetrain and go nuts with a Coyote swap.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:09 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Because that is absolutely pointless in a 11-14 V6. Unless you get the car for free. That said I think a real cool project would be to find a dirt cheap 05-09 V6 with a blown engine/drivetrain and go nuts with a Coyote swap.
I want to do a coyote swap to my wife's Mazda MPV van

Old 03-25-2016, 12:52 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
That would be awesome.

I procharged my v6 recently. I wanted something different than a 5.0 but also wanted good gas milage and cheaper insurance. It gets a ton of looks and comments. I did supporting mods before the blower went on. On a Mustang brand dyne in 3rd gear at I think it was 4000 rpm it already had more hp than a 5.0 and it moves out pretty good. My car was paid off within a year of purchase. I owned a GT 3v before and that was full bolt ons and this 3.7 is way faster. I am building a road course car so the 3.7 made more sense as a grocery getter and road course vehicle for me... and i really like to be different. A lot of my local car guys have 5.0's so it was fun to build this. Id do it again if I had the choice between leaving a 5.0 stock or building the 3.7 it came out to the same price or very close and boost is king hahah.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:30 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Preach man.

MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 03-25-2016, 03:30 PM   #86
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
That would be awesome.

I procharged my v6 recently. I wanted something different than a 5.0 but also wanted good gas milage and cheaper insurance. It gets a ton of looks and comments. I did supporting mods before the blower went on. On a Mustang brand dyne in 3rd gear at I think it was 4000 rpm it already had more hp than a 5.0 and it moves out pretty good. My car was paid off within a year of purchase. I owned a GT 3v before and that was full bolt ons and this 3.7 is way faster. I am building a road course car so the 3.7 made more sense as a grocery getter and road course vehicle for me... and i really like to be different. A lot of my local car guys have 5.0's so it was fun to build this. Id do it again if I had the choice between leaving a 5.0 stock or building the 3.7 it came out to the same price or very close and boost is king hahah.
Yeah but I guarantee a bolt on and tune 5.0 with similar suspension mods would walk away from you.

That said, it is cool to be different sometimes.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 03-25-2016, 03:40 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I was going to pro charge next year, but with the cost of supporting mods along with the tune and pro charger my wife and I decided to move to the 5.0 and build off of that.
Not saying anyone who wants to go that route is wrong, just made more sense in my situation.
Still love for my 3.7 so no 5oh yet 4 me.

Sent from the future.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:12 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I got mine installed last year summer time and I do not have any regrets. I am at 410rwhp (what is that 475 flywheel), plenty of kick whenever I want. With that said, that's way more than enough power for me who knows maybe in the future I'll get a gt or something or maybe not.

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, procharger supercharger, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:07 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I was going to pro charge next year, but with the cost of supporting mods along with the tune and pro charger my wife and I decided to move to the 5.0 and build off of that.
Not saying anyone who wants to go that route is wrong, just made more sense in my situation.
Still love for my 3.7 so no 5oh yet 4 me.

Sent from the future.
I'm with you, Fast. I was going to do the ProCharger but I decided to keep my V6 and baby her until my daughter turns 16, then give it to her. Of course I will be tuning it to granny mode and putting a speed limiter at 80 mph before I hand over the keys. lol

Then, it's on to a 5.0!!!
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:20 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah but I guarantee a bolt on and tune 5.0 with similar suspension mods would walk away from you.

There will always be someone or something faster. Guys on the GT500 forum are saying buying and modding a GT is silly too. lol

For me the 5.0 is fast enough stock and I wouldn't have really done anything more than a CAI and mufflers.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:40 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

oh ya. Im from NJ too. I grew up in Ramsey/ Mahwah and owned a few homes in Vernon / Sussex area.

Where are you from?
Old 03-25-2016, 07:42 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
I'm with you, Fast. I was going to do the ProCharger but I decided to keep my V6 and baby her until my daughter turns 16, then give it to her. Of course I will be tuning it to granny mode and putting a speed limiter at 80 mph before I hand over the keys. lol

Then, it's on to a 5.0!!!
+1. My oldest is 13 going on 20 and is already eyeing the stang for his first car.

Sent from the future.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:52 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
+1. My oldest is 13 going on 20 and is already eyeing the stang for his first car.

Sent from the future.
Bama needs to come up with a "teen tune"!! Lol

Plus with all the mods I'm doing it'll be nice to keep her in the family.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:15 PM   #94
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
oh ya. Im from NJ too. I grew up in Ramsey/ Mahwah and owned a few homes in Vernon / Sussex area.

Where are you from?
At the base now. Moving back to Brick in the fall most likely.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:18 AM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Nice. Thanks for your service.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:29 AM   #96
Staff
Regular
Staff

Thank you. I also got my current car from a guy up by Lake Hopatcong. Love it up there just too much $$$$ and wife grew up a beach bum so back we go lol

Old 03-27-2016, 09:49 AM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
This can't be much easier to answer:
Ask yourself these questions,
Are you going to be keeping your Mustang for a very long time.???
Do you like having less expensive insurance on your V6 ????
Do you love your Mustang as much now as on the day you bought it????
Do you want a pro-charger ?????
Do you think you need one????

If you love the Mustang you have and you want to pro-charge it. Do it.
Where I live in Florida, All the horsepower in the world is useless because there is really no place to enjoy using it. ( UNLESS YOU TRACK OR AUTO-X)

If I wanted more useful seat of the pants from a stoplight ZIP, It would be gears.
If I wanted to impress my friends I would get a GT or pro-charge my V6.

Ask anybody on any of these forums that have gone to a lower ratio rear gear set how much it makes a huge difference in acceleration.
Go from a 2.73 to a 3.73 or 4.11 and do a tune to not only get your speed-o-meter corrected but better compliment the gears and you will think you are driving a different Mustang.
The gears, The Aluminum drive shaft, The tuner, and installation is still a whole lot cheaper then A pro-charger or Turbo. It is the best bang for the buck you are going to ever get.

Ronnie
I did them all including the procharger

I got my driveshaft, procharger, long tubes and tuner for 5100 and the shaft and procharger were hardly used. Deals are out there to be had. I did the clutch and flywheel new. 3.73 new. Had moser axles in my garage from my last build. Everything on my car is off of trade in cars or de modding for sale cars.

I like different. Do what you want, it's your car and your money.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:01 AM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thank you. I also got my current car from a guy up by Lake Hopatcong. Love it up there just too much $$$$ and wife grew up a beach bum so back we go lol

Oh ya more expensive than you would think. Nice area have a few friends that live on the lake. Property taxes in NJ are nuts! What I saved in property taxes in 5 years paid for my car and the blower / mods lol.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:22 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I still think there's no right answer to this question. It's all personal preference and circumstantial.

My V6 was $10,000. That's certified used with 50K on it. The average certified used V6 goes for between $15,000 and $20,000 around me. GT's are $20,000 or higher. The choice for me was simple.

$10,000 for the car. $7,5000 for the Procharger (installed and dynoed). Less cost than a GT, better gas mileage, and lower insurance. 29, single, and 13 years of clean driving history and my insurance is insane simply because of where I live.

450whp to me, is the max I want in a daily driver. If I were truly planning on more track time (autocross or drag), then I would've gone GT. Having the higher ceiling would've been nice and needed. However that's not the route for me.

I'm also not dumb enough to compare my car versus a Coyote powered Mustang. 09-previous V8, sure. Any other manufacturer's RWD V6, sure. Outside of that, I stay in my lane. I'm a diehard Nissan lover, but comparing my Mustang to a 350/370Z? I'll get Mustang all day.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:26 PM   #100
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah a Cyclone compared to a 370... its like a less expensive, roomier, easier/cheaper to modify version of it.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:29 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
This is a discussion that's been beaten down too much. Do I regret buying a v6? No. Do I regret supercharging it? No. Am I satisfied w 410rwhp for a daily driver? Yes. So, to each their own.

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, procharger supercharger, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:30 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugeismo View Post
I still think there's no right answer to this question. It's all personal preference and circumstantial.

My V6 was $10,000. That's certified used with 50K on it. The average certified used V6 goes for between $15,000 and $20,000 around me. GT's are $20,000 or higher. The choice for me was simple.

$10,000 for the car. $7,5000 for the Procharger (installed and dynoed). Less cost than a GT, better gas mileage, and lower insurance. 29, single, and 13 years of clean driving history and my insurance is insane simply because of where I live.

450whp to me, is the max I want in a daily driver. If I were truly planning on more track time (autocross or drag), then I would've gone GT. Having the higher ceiling would've been nice and needed. However that's not the route for me.

I'm also not dumb enough to compare my car versus a Coyote powered Mustang. 09-previous V8, sure. Any other manufacturer's RWD V6, sure. Outside of that, I stay in my lane. I'm a diehard Nissan lover, but comparing my Mustang to a 350/370Z? I'll get Mustang all day.
And... now I'm back to considering a pro charger.

Curse you! lol
Old 03-27-2016, 08:31 PM   #103
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
And... now I'm back to considering a pro charger.

Curse you! lol
Just turbo it.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:32 PM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Big single and call it a day

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:33 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
This is a discussion that's been beaten down too much. Do I regret buying a v6? No. Do I regret supercharging it? No. Am I satisfied w 410rwhp for a daily driver? Yes. So, to each their own.

Well put. So you PC owners haven't ran into any mechanical issues since your install? Just curious if a PC burns oil, runs engine too hot, etc?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang