Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Is the procharger worth it?

39K views 247 replies 42 participants last post by  Voltwings 
#1 ·
I currently have a 2014 Mustang V6 Automatic.

Is it worth installing a procharger or should i trade it in for another 2014 5.0?

I started financing this vehicle 5 months ago, and still owe $16k.

Thoughts?

#4 ·
You're nicer than me, i'd have told him to search for the million other threads exactly like this one.

Simple answer is this:
If you want the procharger to have fun, yes, it is worth it.

If you want the procharger because you think you will be hurting the feelings of GTs, then you will be disappointed and it will not be worth it. That's it.

#11 ·
Well if he wants a procharger he obviously wants more power/speed. Which he will get... but he'll also get his doors blown off by a 5.0 with exhaust and tune and that's it.

#13 · (Edited)
Unfortunately if you don't know then how are we supposed to know? At the end of the day it's your money and do what you want if you can afford it. I bought a v6 instead of a 5.0 because it gets better mpgs and I don't really have time to go to the track anymore. Ever now and then I consider trading up but then realize I can't remember the last time my v6 saw past 6k rpms so if I traded to a GT I would likely never go past 4 k and never use the majority of the hp driving it on the street.

If you race the car or enjoy the sound of a v8 and it makes you happy go for it as you only live once. But just remember there will always be someone faster. If you trade up there will be s/c'ed 5.0s, and if you add s S/C then there will be ones with built motors running higher boost, etc. I love seeing how well 5.0s perform but for me personally 420 hp is overkill for a street car and 300 is more fun to play around with unless your at a track. Again, all comes down to what your using the car for.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#15 ·
Great points, since the OP plans on going to a dealership today and test driving one, I'm confident that will seal the deal to buy the 5.0.

If he could afford it and having a v8 is really important to him so he doesn't get his balls busted for having a v6 Mustang, then I think he should trade the car in and buy the 5.0.

Non ?and non ?fed. I $uck!

#16 ·
If you have base 2.73/auto and you demand to keep your warantee, it is worth every penny for 5.0, as the base 2.73/auto/V6 is a total dog out of the hole. The AWD fusion (2.0 ECO) I just got as a daily would dog the crap out my v6 stang across an intersection, easy (after that obviously stang would blow on by).

If you have a 3.31 gear (or perf package), will not be nearly the difference and may not be worth the loss of money and mileage over the V6.

Also, if not that worried about warrantee, you could put a set of 3.55's in and I'd guess the v6 would be more than adequate for most.

In my case, I tried to even have ford put in the 3.31, but they said even though it was factory option, I would have to use a tuner to reprogram for the gear (this was downs ford, which is (or was) a huge FMS dealer and does a lot of aftermarket installs). I figured once I used a tuner, even for just gear ratio, ford might not believe me and thought I tuned the car if anything in engine/trans effed up.

When ford put huge rebates on the 14 GT's, it was too tempting not to trade up (helped that I got 14 V6 base for 19,2K from Koons and traded for 18 at a different dealer).

So need more info on what exactly you have and what your use and concerns (warrantee) are.

#18 ·
Just upgrade to the 5.0 you'll be happier and have more mods you can do, annddd more power! :)

#21 ·
I have a 2013 with the PP (manual), and I love the car but I do have some mods plus the 3.31's that came on the car so I'm not looking at the Procharger at the moment. But since at least 75 percent of Mustang owners never mod their cars, how do you figure that a boosted V6 won't upset a few 5.0 or Camaro SS owners? Stock 3.7's dyno at just under 300 hp to the rear wheels. So with a 150 hp increase the 3.7 will be around 440 to the rear wheels. So again, how is it this won't suprise a few V8's?

#25 ·
Do you happen to have a dyno sheet of a stock 3.7 putting down close to 300 at the wheels? Because there is no way that is happening. Stock has 305 HP assuming a 15-20% drivetrain loss that puts you in the 250-260 range which is what every stock dyno sheet I've seen showed. People with full bolt ons and tune are happy to see 300 at the wheels and alot of them I've seen are in the 290's.

With a supercharged V6 will likely beat a stock 5.0 or SS depending on the driver but they definitely have more torque so even if you do win you will not blow them out of the water. Consider most 5.0s or SS's at the track are not going to be stock if they have basic bolt on's they will once again be on top. You also have to consider you will need tires, suspension, etc. to put the power to the ground as there is no way 215/ 225 tires are going to hook 400 hp. Realistically to have a balanced supercharged V6 you will spending at least 10K+ especially if your paying for installation and tune.

#24 ·
If you're looking for something faster get the 5.0. Then down the road throw supercharger on it. You're obviously not happy with your V6 so don't think too much into it

#26 ·
Procharger is worth it for some!

Not trying to pick a fight. It just is not true that with that kind of power that some 5.0's, but more preferably, a few BMWAUDIMERC fan boys might get a nice surprise! Not sure about $10K cost either. I can do it for 5700 myself. Lastly, my car weighed 3440 at the scales. Add 40 lbs of Procharger and I'm still below 3500 lbs. 440 to the wheels at 3500 lbs equals FUN TIME!

#35 ·
Not trying to pick a fight. It just is not true that with that kind of power that some 5.0's, but more preferably, a few BMWAUDIMERC fan boys might get a nice surprise! Not sure about $10K cost either. I can do it for 5700 myself. Lastly, my car weighed 3440 at the scales. Add 40 lbs of Procharger and I'm still below 3500 lbs. 440 to the wheels at 3500 lbs equals FUN TIME!

I'm completely on board with you, but without any other supporting mods your looking at close to 410 whp. These cars don't get close to 300whp stock, it's more like 260.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1

#27 ·
Remember the PP already has 19 inch Pirellis and GT suspension. 425 hp to the wheels out of the box is what I hear with the Procharger. 200 lbs lighter car with over 400 to the wheels will surprise 75 percent of v8 sporty cars at a quick stop light pull. Track is a different story unless you are talking a road course. In that situation I feel my car would surprise a higher percentage of sporty v8 owners. I was at Homestead road coarse with my lightly tuned PP and already surprised some 5.0 (and Shelby) owners at a recent track day. We're we Killin it? No. But I got some 'wow' comments from fellow club members during the cool down breaks.

#28 ·
425hp....and 100 less torque.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#29 ·
Again I'm not talking about Drag Strip action

Again I am not talking about Drag Strips where there is 'always a faster guy'!

I'm just trying to point out that it's not all 'doom and gloom' like some are saying regarding the 3.7 with a Procharger.

I own my car outright so for me its $5700 and done since I can do it myself.

These cars are putting down some real horsepower but some would have a person believe that 'All 5.0's are gods and no 3.7 will ever beat one which is silly'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTltlWzj4Rc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ-x4XxgeBw

Here's a quote from one site:

"You really have to give credit where it’s due. The ProCharger guys took a bone stock 3.7L Mustang with only 8 lbs of boost, make 427 hp to the wheels, which means its approaching 500 at the crank. All with a centrifugal supercharger kit that only takes a day to install and costs in the $5k range."

#32 · (Edited)
Again I am not talking about Drag Strips where there is 'always a faster guy'!

I'm just trying to point out that it's not all 'doom and gloom' like some are saying regarding the 3.7 with a Procharger.

I own my car outright so for me its $5700 and done since I can do it myself.

These cars are putting down some real horsepower but some would have a person believe that 'All 5.0's are gods and no 3.7 will ever beat one which is silly'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTltlWzj4Rc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ-x4XxgeBw

Here's a quote from one site:

"You really have to give credit where it’s due. The ProCharger guys took a bone stock 3.7L Mustang with only 8 lbs of boost, make 427 hp to the wheels, which means its approaching 500 at the crank. All with a centrifugal supercharger kit that only takes a day to install and costs in the $5k range."
Camper, I like you own my 3.7 outright and since that's the case if I were debating SC or 5.0, I would just spend the 6k and SC. Buy the time you sell your 3.7 and buy another used 5.0 with similar millage you may very well be out over 10k and that doesn't include the money you spent to mod your 3.7.

6k and you will have a 400 rwhp plus pony and that's with 8 pounds boost. Not gonna set the world on fire with torque but so be it. Not gonna be the fastest and won't be the slowest. I personally don't care about the V8 sound enough to spend all the extra loot but that's just me.

Hey, my father owns a 2014 CS, 5.0 and drives the car like a f ing grandpa on a Sunday stroll. His a$$ ain't using any of the 425 HP but he doesn't care. He said if he was gonna buy a mustang, it was going to be a V8 regardless. Rock out.

Buy what makes you happy and what's important to that person. If owning a 5.0 makes someone feel important to the car world and give themselves a chubby saying they own a 5.0 instead of a 3.7, super cool. Nothing wrong with that. If people want to play the HP wars and 1/4 mile time wars , great. I say super cool.

HP and track times are like chasing the end of the rainbow and money. No matter how much you have, many want more. Give me more, more more more. Faster, faster, faster!

#30 ·
The kit is 5700. You will need a tuner and a dyno tune (around $1000), a new drive shaft unless you want to risk snapping yours (around $800). That doesn't include tires or suspension which will be needed to get the most of the hp since I assume your no going to want to have 400+ hp with anything less then a 275 tire. That doesn't include the misc other parts for install or add ons such as gauges, etc. (assuming you do the install yourself).

Again I drive a v6 and love it but although a supercharged v6 is fun I realize it is still at best equal to a 5.0.

As far as drag strip vs road course hp means very little on a road course. I've seen guys in 120 hp Miatas that run better times then corvettes, vipers, etc.

#31 ·
Ain't nothing wrong with a Mustang 3,7 V6 Cyclone

Check it out and then decide for your self:

2011 Mustang V6 3.7L Project Car | AmericanMuscle.com

Or you can go to Central Florida Motorsports and check out their Turbos that can get you in the 10's

The More $$$$$$$ you spend---The more PERFORMANCE you can buy.
Ronnie

#33 ·
I already have a 4 inch DSS Driveshaft, Vogtland 1 inch lower (and stiffer) suspension, UPR upper control arm, Steeda upper strut mounts, Steeda CAI, cat back and BAMA 93 tune. The car is well behaved. I agree that the hp wars can go on infinitely. What I don't agree with is the rubber stamp sentiment from some that all the work on a 3.7 just brings it up to stock 5.0 territory which is BS. I've driven a 5.0 and it's fast to be sure but stock (non performance pack) 5.0's are more nose heavy in turns. Ford (and many others) have had great success on race tracks by boosting lighter cars and that's what I'm attempting to point out.

#40 ·
No one said 'all the work on a 3.7 just brings it up to stock 5.0 territory' with enough money anything can be made fast. All our comments were in regard to the OP who owns as far as we know a base V6 with 2.73 gears that is stock. What we said was that adding a supercharger to that will likely not beat a stock 5.0 down the track and that it is not as simple as spending 5700. You would need a tune and DS at minimum which adds roughly 1800 to the cost bringing the total to $7500 and still having 215 tires in the back.

Given that you have exhaust, suspension and DS out of the way you basically have full bolt on's. If you add a SC you will likely get more out of it and be able to put it to the ground better. Which will likely beat a stock 5.0. But you have to think you have roughly 2-3 k in mods now. Throw in the price of a SC and your at close to 10 k in total mods.

#36 ·
I think people are confusing the two scenarios. Camper doesn't seem interested in beating people at the track, he just wants to disappoint some v8 owners at red lights. I'm the same way man which is why I'm modifying my v6, if I cared about the drag strip then the obvious answer would be to get the GT. But for the people that just want to surprise some GT owners and put a smile on your face doing so then keeping your v6 is the answer. And he is right MOST mustang owners don't modify there cars. I say go for it camper.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1

#37 ·
Hi Chris44117,

I know you have your opinion but I think your talking Rear Wheel Horsepower, About 260 RWHP equates to at least 300 or a little more at the Crankshaft.

Mine registered 271 RWHP on the dyno two years ago.
A 2012- 3.7 V6 with mods at bottom of this post.

Of course not every engine is exact but these Cyclone engines are very good and put out very good power when you let them breath.

They will "NEVER" sound like a V8, or have the appeal of a good old American V8 and of course never have the loyalty of the V8 guys.
***********************************BUT****************************************************
The Ford 3.7 V6 engine is a great design and puts out the 305 Horsepower in stock form at the crank that Ford says it does. A CAI and good set of mufflers do add a little more upper RPM performance but just driving around, Not much different then stock.
But there are a heck of a lot of us that love our V6 engines and when you don't race or run with your foot to the floor everyplace you go. This engine is just fine.

Ronnie

#38 ·
I think people are confusing the two scenarios. Camper doesn't seem interested in beating people at the track, he just wants to disappoint some v8 owners at red lights. I'm the same way man which is why I'm modifying my v6, if I cared about the drag strip then the obvious answer would be to get the GT. But for the people that just want to surprise some GT owners and put a smile on your face doing so then keeping your v6 is the answer. And he is right MOST mustang owners don't modify there cars. I say go for it camper.

Exactly! The 3.7 with 6 bolt mains is a great motor that can handle more power when ready! Not designed to beat 5.0's in a straight line, there's plenty of back half fox body's out there still doing the schooling at the 1/4 mile. That said a Procharger on a 3.7 is a formidable machine on the street and a road course with the suspension mods in place.

#72 ·
Exactly! The 3.7 with 6 bolt mains is a great motor that can handle more power when ready! Not designed to beat 5.0's in a straight line, there's plenty of back half fox body's out there still doing the schooling at the 1/4 mile. That said a Procharger on a 3.7 is a formidable machine on the street and a road course with the suspension mods in place.
3.7 on a road course = pure win, we track ours quite regularly.
3.7 with a [rocharger = pure fail on a road course. Any car with a procharger = pure fail on a road course really, lots of heat, tons of weight all hanging off the nose, just ... no. I wasnt going to comment strictly on that until i felt the need to respond to the below statement as well.

Hello scottydsntknow, I'm ready to let this one die but I can't let your last comment go - Sorry!

You said "From all the numbers I've seen the turbo kits for the 3.7 have a very similar torque to hp number, over 400. The Procharger=simplicity and much faster than NA obviously but 320tq will get the 3.7 its *** handed to it by a bone stock Coyote."

A bone stock 5.0 is putting 360 to the wheels whereas the 3.7 with procharger is putting over 400 to the wheels and it weighs 200 less lbs.

I know, I know, HP numbers win bragging rights and Torque numbers win drag races. With all that nonsense out of the way a properly set up 3.7 with procharger will beat a bone stock 5.0 every time!

A properly set up 5.0 will win even more races agreed! But not a 'bone stock 5.0 versus a properly setup 3.7 and if a guy is taking the time and effort to add a procharger to his 3.7, it will most likely be properly setup!

And that same guy will be awake at the stop light if he went to the trouble to do the work.

Nobody that buys just the procharger for the 3.7 expects to just show up and dust 5.0's or SS Camaros.

They do expect once they've done their homework, a few mods (suspension, intake, exhaust), to surprise some folks and that is just what a lot of 3.7 guys are doing.

Have a great day!
My bone stock coyote put 380 to the wheels ... maybe some autos on a low reading dyno are doing 360, but my 5.0 made 382 whp 352 wtq bone stock. So if we can just out and assume the dyno numbers are comparable to the 410 / 320 mentioned by another member here, my car would be down 30 ish horsepower, but up 30 ish torque. The 5.0 also has a transmission with better gearing. Gearing + power band > power to weight. The 5.0 is still faster.

Like i said, if you want it to have fun that's fine, but don't make hurting feelings your goal. Sure, you may hurt some, but still ...

#39 ·
Vehicle Engine Auto part Car Automotive engine part

Supercharged v6... Less of them on the road... 410rwhp and 320 torque

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, procharger supercharger, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers

#51 ·
View attachment 196365
Supercharged v6... Less of them on the road... 410rwhp and 320 torque

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, procharger supercharger, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
While the 410 rwhp is awesome I must admit the 320 rwtq is a bit shocking too me. I'm a little disappointed to see such low torque numbers for F.I. I'm not expecting 500 rwtq from it but 390 to 400 rwtq would be nice.

I'm going to assume a turbo would give far better torque numbers along with nitrous. OP, just curious but why not turbo or spray 100 shot. Nitrous gives amazing rwhp along with even more torque. Depending on your current mods 100 shot of nitrous could give you easy 370 rwhp and 400 rwtq. That's more like it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.