Koni SRT.T Rear Shocks - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-31-2016, 07:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Koni SRT.T Rear Shocks

Should I get a new set of springs if I replace both rear stock shocks of my mustang with the Koni SRT.T rear shocks? If so, is there any aftermarket springs that doesn't lower my mustang a lot? I don't want to lower the stance of my mustang too much. Thanks for the advice and info.

2013 Red Candy 3.7, MPT Tune, Afraid intake, BBK shortys, BBK mid-pipe w/cats, Borla Ataks, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears, LED Fog Lights, California Special Black Spoiler. Raxiom interior LED dome lights, Raxiom license plate LED lights, blacked out all side and back markers and tail lights.
Lambo345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2016, 08:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
You don't need to change the springs. You're good to go with swapping shocks.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you sir. One more question, do you recommend me getting a new sway bar? And also switch the front shocks if I switch the rear ones? How about chamber plates? Thanks

2013 Red Candy 3.7, MPT Tune, Afraid intake, BBK shortys, BBK mid-pipe w/cats, Borla Ataks, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears, LED Fog Lights, California Special Black Spoiler. Raxiom interior LED dome lights, Raxiom license plate LED lights, blacked out all side and back markers and tail lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2016, 10:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Depending on how you drive, you don't really need to touch the sway bar. But feel free to change it because modding is always fun and you'll get a more stable feeling car in the turns!

I'd recommend going for the matching brand Struts if you're going to do the Shocks as they'll compliment each other. You don't need plates because you're not lowering the car.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Not that DiESeven needs confirmation but I agree with that info. I don't do a lot of corner carving and still have the oem sway bars. I did lower the car and that in itself firmed everything up for me.
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
In case you did want to lower ... the Steeda Sport Springs lower the vehicle approximately 1" front and 1.25" in the rear - See more at: Steeda 2005-14 Mustang Coupe Sport Springs - Made in USA 555-8215 | Free Shipping!

We have found this to be our sweet spot in terms of lowering.

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
In case you did want to lower ... the Steeda Sport Springs lower the vehicle approximately 1" front and 1.25" in the rear - See more at: Steeda 2005-14 Mustang Coupe Sport Springs - Made in USA 555-8215 | Free Shipping!

TJ

Thanks! But I'm looking for shocks for now. Maybe I'll get the springs down the road.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:17 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:

TJ
The Steeda Mustang pictured here appears to have been lowered substantially more than the 1" front and 1.25" rear as you mention.
Considering the average stock setup is in the "vicinity" of 2.75" in the rear. And about 1/2" to 5/8" less in front.
Or could it be an optical illusion?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks! But I'm looking for shocks for now. Maybe I'll get the springs down the road.
My apologies - I thought you were asking about switching the springs out since you already have the shocks in mind.

Keep me in mind ... happy to extend forum pricing.

Best Regards,

TJ
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
Old 02-02-2016, 08:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
Old 02-02-2016, 08:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The top one was a before & after shot with our Sport Springs ... the red car has the Sports on it ... it appears to be the angle of the car.

TJ
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
Old 02-02-2016, 08:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Much better perspective. Thanks.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My apologies - I thought you were asking about switching the springs out since you already have the shocks in mind.

Keep me in mind ... happy to extend forum pricing.

Best Regards,

TJ

Do y'all have shocks for a decent price? I went to American muscle and was wondering what was the price for the shocks y'all sale?

Old 02-02-2016, 09:38 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

I believe Koni's annual sale (something like 20% off) is most likely coming up in March, so if you can hang tight a few weeks, you could save some green (that's what I'm planning to do).
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:44 AM   #15
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

In an effort to ease you some stress later just in case: I put a set of Koni STR.Ts (front and rear) on my 14'. Firmed up the ride but the pistons wouldn't rebound after being depressed (prior to install). This is usually a sign of worn shocks/struts. Doing research, apparently this is common on the Koni STR.Ts (aka orange). No ride problems but it drove me nuts. If I had it to do over, I would not have gone with the STR.Ts for this reason.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:20 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo345 View Post

just a old timers input, please keep in mind that stock length shocks will not properly work with lowering springs, if you are planning a change down the line, wait and do both at the same time so you have the correct matching parts . not waste money.
example of what i'm trying to say is. if you lower the car say 1.5 inches and use a stock shock or strut you will have 1.5 inches less travel inside the shock and could very well possibly feel them bottom out inside
it is best and long known to match the lowering springs and shocks/struts brand with brand. this way the spring and shock rates all match and work safely
in the over 42 years I worked in dealerships and as a factory rep I saw many a lowered car done improperly causing many safety issues with handling/braking. getting into wreaks
captchas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:10 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks! I'll just save money to get the shocks,struts, and springs all together.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:51 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks! I'll just save money to get the shocks,struts, and springs all together.

start piecing it together now. here's a cheap set of shocks to get you started.

Mustang Koni Str T Rear Shocks 05 14 All | eBay
Old 02-04-2016, 04:16 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you sir!

Old 02-04-2016, 06:31 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
start piecing it together now. here's a cheap set of shocks to get you started.

Mustang Koni Str T Rear Shocks 05 14 All | eBay
Now looking at the ad for these shocks, how would one know the correct application? For example, are these designed for the stock springs, 1" lowering springs, 2" or what?
Old 02-04-2016, 08:14 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Now looking at the ad for these shocks, how would one know the correct application? For example, are these designed for the stock springs, 1" lowering springs, 2" or what?
The ad says they're designed for stock and aftermarket.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:28 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
The ad says they're designed for stock and aftermarket.
Ok thanks...I didn't read far enough.
So after market is referring to lowering springs of any amount. I just thought that they would be designed for a specific dimension.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:33 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Those koni oranges are on AM go to their site and look up specs

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mike3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:28 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I just bought shocks,struts and GT500 mounts for my car. I'm going to get the SR springs maybe this month or the next one. Do I need anything for my car? I'm going to install it all at once.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:33 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just bought shocks,struts and GT500 mounts for my car. I'm going to get the SR springs maybe this month or the next one. Do I need anything for my car? I'm going to install it all at once.

You might need a adjustable panhard bar to center the rear axel after you install the springs etc.

I just bought the SR springs and installed them last week on my stock struts. And just ordered Koni Oranges yesterday, and GT500 mounts as well.. I used the BMR panhard bar with poly pushings...worked fine for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Red_Menace11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:56 AM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Koni's 20% off sale starts tomorrow, 3/1.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Will I need control arms for my car since I'm lowering with SR springs?

Old 02-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Will I need control arms for my car since I'm lowering with SR springs?

Hopefully your car came with control arms. Haha. As for aftermerket control arms, you won't "need" lower control arms though they'd make the rear a little stiffer. You would benefit from an upper control arm as the pinion angle will change. If your driveshaft is a two piece unit, you wouldn't need the upper unless you're dropping more than an inch and a half...from what I've read.
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:01 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

TJ
TJ...What's the difference between the 555-8215 that you mentioned here and the 555-8217 which appear to be specific to the V6? I'm trying to choose for my 2014 V6 PP.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang