Mustang Evolution Forum banner

CAI question

Tags
cai
2K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Strange Mud 
#1 ·
So I just bought a BBK CAI and am about to instal it, this particular CAI doesn't require a tune. I'm already running a 93 tune. Will it be bad to instal the cai without updating my tune to adjust for the CAI?

#4 ·
Actually it wouldn't hurt to check with your tune company. When I got my MPT tune, they wanted to know if I had a stock air clearer or a CAI. If I had a CAI, they wanted to know what make so they could incorporate it into the tune if needed.

#5 ·
Just so everyone is on the same page here, and not to look like we're giving conflicting information, i'd like to elaborate.

The reason a CAI is "tune required," or "no tune required" is because the MAF diameter is either the same as stock, or it isn't. This has been covered in great depth on this forum OP, the search feature is your friend ...

So, in regards to "do you need a tune" the answer is still no.

Now, can your tuner adjust cams and ignition timing to try to make more power from the potential increase in airflow? Absolutely, in which case it would be worth touching base with them about this intake. :thumb:

#6 ·
Totally agree with everything Voltwings elaborated on :cool:

#7 ·
Must resist urge to tell him... he... is... wasting...money... and that the... BBK... CAI... will start pitting...within 6 months...

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

#14 ·
When in traffic, watch your Inlet Air Temp go way hotter. It will come back down when 40-45+MPH, but stop/go will be much warmer.

#16 ·
hotter IAT = less power due to cooler air being denser. Small difference but in racing small increments are essential.

that being said I scored a used Airaid for my V6...I bought it for sound alone and am happy with it. Key words "sound alone" I knew I wasn't gonna get any power out of it.

#18 ·
its hard to beat the factory inlet on the coyotes, most all aftermarket ones loose a little low end tq

you don't need to contact your tuner to find out if it plays nicely, just plug in your handheld and log the stft and ltft, if they make more than a -/+ 5% correction then you'll want to contact the tuner to get the fuel dialed back in

#19 ·
I'm enjoying the Steeda CAI so far. It mellowed out the sound of my axle backs. The sound above 3k RPM is very enjoyable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.