increase acceleration? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-01-2016, 03:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
increase acceleration?

Hey guys, I just got a 2013 mustang automatic v6 (premium if that makes any difference...) and was wondering if you guys had made any modifications to your cars that you noticed helped acceleration in the lower rpm ranges. I want my car to be able to kick better than it currently does. I feel like it lags till it goes to higher rpm ranges (3-4 thousand).

I just don't know what big purchase I should do first but am eager to make a modification. Should I do exhaust, CAI, or something completely different? Again, I care about take off and not top speed really.

Thanks for any help. Glad to be part of the forum! (just joined)
BadNews01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2016, 03:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Go with a tune first, then gears. Lots of people on here like the 3:73 I see for the auto.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
These engines by nature have horrible low end and better too end. The biggest thing you can do to increase acceleration would be gears. The only down side of gears is it will hurt your highway MPGs. A few people here report MPG drop that puts it on par with the 5.0s.

You could also do a tune which will help if you have the shift points adjusted with it (a cai too with a tune but it's debatable if it does anything as the majority of the improvements would be from the tune). But this would not be as noticeable as gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2016, 03:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
These engines by nature have horrible low end and better too end. The biggest thing you can do to increase acceleration would be gears. The only down side of gears is it will hurt your highway MPGs. A few people here report MPG drop that puts it on par with the 5.0s.

You could also do a tune which will help if you have the shift points adjusted with it (a cai too with a tune but it's debatable if it does anything as the majority of the improvements would be from the tune). But this would not be as noticeable as gears.

+1 for gears

OP, I'd say, if you don't care about top speed, look into as steep a gear as you'd be fine with MPG-wise. A tune would be good to get either before or after the gears and it would firm up those shift points a fair bit.

As for the CAI, I'd say don't bother, unless the "whoosh" noises are worth 200 dollars to you. The gains (if any) are fairly negligible, especially if you don't have the car tuned for it
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Mdlma
A

Old 02-01-2016, 04:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Definitely go with gears. Gears and a driveshaft are my next planned mods, and I want to do them together. I have a CAI and tune and it has made a noticeable increase in low end torque (honestly probably because of the tune instead of the intake) but nowhere near what gears would do for you. But that being said, go with both tune and gears if possible, win win situation.

Just make sure the gears get installed properly!
Old 02-01-2016, 05:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Gears

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the info guys! So it seems like most agree that CAI is not completely necessary. I was actually thinking about doing that but just ended up getting a K&N Air Filter because I wasn't sure if spending $400 on an intake would be worth the money.

Anyway, are gears really this cheap? I'm seeing a $200-$300 price range. If so I may go ahead and take your advice by doing that as well as the tune you guys suggested.

I guess I will be researching gears and a tune(r) (I keep seeing these bama handheld ones) until that income tax check comes in lol
Old 02-01-2016, 05:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Gears are cheap, the install isn't.
You can do short tube headers, that gives a lot in the low to mid range and leaves the rest of the exhaust alone.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:52 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNews01 View Post
Thanks for the info guys! So it seems like most agree that CAI is not completely necessary. I was actually thinking about doing that but just ended up getting a K&N Air Filter because I wasn't sure if spending $400 on an intake would be worth the money.

Anyway, are gears really this cheap? I'm seeing a $200-$300 price range. If so I may go ahead and take your advice by doing that as well as the tune you guys suggested.

I guess I will be researching gears and a tune(r) (I keep seeing these bama handheld ones) until that income tax check comes in lol
I strongly suggest you familiarize yourself with the potential pitfalls of poor gear installations. There are many threads addressing troublesome installations and the need, and many times the expense, to redo them.
The general consensus is to make sure you have them installed by a reputable installer and that they guarantee the installation. As a result you would likely be paying more for them but it will be worth it in the long run.
EDIT: Here's one of the more recent threads on the subject...
Gears done. Didn't go as planned
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Since you have an auto get a tuner first, since any change in gears will require one to readjust the shift points. This will also allow you to datalog the tune to perfection, while allowing you to go back to stock if you have issues. After you get the gears you can't go back to stock since the shift points will be way off. Going with a proven tuner for the 3.7 like MPT (more power tuning) is a good start. I recently got the SCT X4 with 3 custom tunes from MPT and it really wakes the car up and firms up the shifts. MPT is THE go to for 3.7 tuning. Next would be to pick your gears. I assume you have 2.73's? If so, 3.55 will give a solid bump in acceleration without a big hit to your highway mpg. If you don't do a whole lot of highway I recommend 3.73. Some will say go with 4.10's, but having been in one with 4.10's it's honestly to much gear for a DD and long distance. It's not bad for the car it's just annoying since you'll be turning close to 3k at highway speeds.

So, to sum it up:
MPT tune with X4
Gears
drive shaft.

Edit***
I suggest you join the cyclone mustang tech & social groups on Facebook. There are also regional Texas chapters. A lot of cyclones in the group are from Texas and can point you to reputable shops. Just a hint on getting into the group...you have to initially have a picture of your ride as either your background or profile picture so they can verify you own one. They don't let GT trolls in.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:23 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
Since you have an auto get a tuner first, since any change in gears will require one to readjust the shift points. This will also allow you to datalog the tune to perfection, while allowing you to go back to stock if you have issues. After you get the gears you can't go back to stock since the shift points will be way off. Going with a proven tuner for the 3.7 like MPT (more power tuning) is a good start. I recently got the SCT X4 with 3 custom tunes from MPT and it really wakes the car up and firms up the shifts. MPT is THE go to for 3.7 tuning. Next would be to pick your gears. I assume you have 2.73's? If so, 3.55 will give a solid bump in acceleration without a big hit to your highway mpg. If you don't do a whole lot of highway I recommend 3.73. Some will say go with 4.10's, but having been in one with 4.10's it's honestly to much gear for a DD and long distance. It's not bad for the car it's just annoying since you'll be turning close to 3k at highway speeds.

So, to sum it up:
MPT tune with X4
Gears
drive shaft.

Edit***
I suggest you join the cyclone mustang tech & social groups on Facebook. There are also regional Texas chapters. A lot of cyclones in the group are from Texas and can point you to reputable shops. Just a hint on getting into the group...you have to initially have a picture of your ride as either your background or profile picture so they can verify you own one. They don't let GT trolls in.
Thanks for the info! I'm not sure what size the gears are it's stock so are those 2.73? Anyway, I do A LOT of highway 90% of my drive is highway because I do work and school all week and barely drive during weekends besides the gym. So, the info on not going too big on gears because of mpg is very helpful!

Again, I'll be looking into the tune and gears. Thanks for the suggestion on getting the tune first. That seems like a good thing to play with first. Like you are saying I can tinker with it before getting the gears. It may feed my modification fever till I can save up for the gears and find a good place to do them at
Old 02-01-2016, 08:59 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Stock is 2.73 unless you have the performance package which is 3.31 I believe. From what I've heard from people with the automatic transmission, I think you'll be impressed by the difference with the shift points getting a tune. They really wake everything up, so it will be a good start. Honestly I think a tune should be everyone's first "performance" modification.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:34 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post

I went from 2.73 to 4.10's and my MPG's actually went up. With the 2's I was doing about 14-15 and with the 4's im currently at 16-17 and I have only had them 3 or 4 days. I tend do shift before 3k and am starting to skip gears. Only way it hurts is if you high way drive over 70 mph i think. During rush hour here in miami you never go past 65 or 70 for too long without having to slow down.
martinez8191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I'm not sure what size the gears are it's stock so are those 2.73? Anyway, I do A LOT of highway 90% of my drive is highway because I do work and school all week and barely drive during weekends besides the gym. So, the info on not going too big on gears because of mpg is very helpful!

Again, I'll be looking into the tune and gears. Thanks for the suggestion on getting the tune first. That seems like a good thing to play with first. Like you are saying I can tinker with it before getting the gears. It may feed my modification fever till I can save up for the gears and find a good place to do them at
If it's a stock v6 you have 2.73 and would be happy with 3.55 for the added boost without much effect to highway MPG.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:28 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez8191 View Post
I went from 2.73 to 4.10's and my MPG's actually went up. With the 2's I was doing about 14-15 and with the 4's im currently at 16-17 and I have only had them 3 or 4 days. I tend do shift before 3k and am starting to skip gears. Only way it hurts is if you high way drive over 70 mph i think. During rush hour here in miami you never go past 65 or 70 for too long without having to slow down.
4.10's will help increase your in-town MPG, which suffer a lot with the 2.73's, however since the guy said he does 90% highway (probably not stop and go) I would advise against them.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:30 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colburt195 View Post
Stock is 2.73 unless you have the performance package which is 3.31 I believe. From what I've heard from people with the automatic transmission, I think you'll be impressed by the difference with the shift points getting a tune. They really wake everything up, so it will be a good start. Honestly I think a tune should be everyone's first "performance" modification.

I'm new to modifications in general. I literally just got the mustang 2 months ago. The handheld tuners are preset right? Like I can probably change settings on them but they should have preset tunes am I correct?
Old 02-01-2016, 10:36 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm new to modifications in general. I literally just got the mustang 2 months ago. The handheld tuners are preset right? Like I can probably change settings on them but they should have preset tunes am I correct?
Yep, mine came with two. You should be able to choose something along the lines of octane, shift strength, and street/performance/race (some power category). Then you can change certain settings to your own preferences on the tuner like governors and such. All depends on the brand.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:39 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I believe they come blank, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. If you go through AmericanMuscle then you can buy ones (SCT X4 and X3's, as well as Diablosport I think) that come with Bama tunes preset on it and "free tunes for life", which are a good starting point since all updates for new mods are free. Once you've finalized modifications, I'd get a Lethal tune, or MPT or Lund. I've heard good things about all of them, others on here can vouch for them better than I.

Also note, changing settings on the tuner yourself can be fairly dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. Taking off a speed governor and things of that nature are usually fine, but advancing global spark and other spark timing is typically a no-no for experimenting around with on your own
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
Old 02-01-2016, 10:46 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yep, mine came with two. You should be able to choose something along the lines of octane, shift strength, and street/performance/race (some power category). Then you can change certain settings to your own preferences on the tuner like governors and such. All depends on the brand.
All good info that I forgot to include lol

Old 02-01-2016, 11:25 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Bought the SCT X4 from MPT. Comes loaded with 3 tunes set up how you like. They ask you all kinds of questions about your car and what your going to do with it. Plus you can call them and they will work with you to make sure you get the best choices that will work for you. We love what MPT put together for our tunes. 1 for regular street use, 1 for spirited driving, and one for just plane showing off and being radical.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:13 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
Bought the SCT X4 from MPT. Comes loaded with 3 tunes set up how you like. They ask you all kinds of questions about your car and what your going to do with it. Plus you can call them and they will work with you to make sure you get the best choices that will work for you. We love what MPT put together for our tunes. 1 for regular street use, 1 for spirited driving, and one for just plane showing off and being radical.
Just to add to that, be sure to make the most radical tune is for the highest grade octane available in your area, since you'll see the greatest gains out of it. I wish I had 93 octane here haha

Old 02-02-2016, 03:14 AM   #23
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Lots of good advice here. Gears and a tune are by far the most popular for acceleration. I personally have 3.73s and love them. Shorty headers are also known to give a decent low rpm power boost. And if you really want some off-the-line acceleration, a torque converter helps the autos immensely when it comes to launching. I'd only go this route if you see the track on a regular basis though.

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:47 AM   #24
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Tuner first I'd say. Gears are best but you will need to adjust your speedo after gears. Tuner gives you all the stuff above and ability to adjust for new gear ratios speedo.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:36 AM   #25
Staff

Regular
Staff

+1 on what they all said.

Welcome to Mevo we expect a post (with pics!) in the introduction section.

yeah the 3.7 is great above 4k rpm you can have lots of fun with it. Enjoy making it yours.

Mud
Old 02-02-2016, 06:18 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Hello

Get a Bama tune.

I run the 89 performance tune and I am very impressed with the difference over stock.

2015 Roush RS1 Premium w PP
Roush Performance upgrade-- Tinted Windows
JLT Catch Can--Ford Racing Strut Brace
Flowmaster scavenger "Y" pipe resonator delete
b2673ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:51 AM   #27
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2673ad View Post
Hello

Get a Bama tune.

I run the 89 performance tune and I am very impressed with the difference over stock.
If you're impressed with that, try a tune from MPT.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:31 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Don't forget Steeda as another great tune option.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Also, just in case you are unaware, after we've all suggested a tuner and the options you can control, if you increase/remove the governor, remember the driveshaft issue. I know from your introduction you're new to mustangs, so just a potential heads up. I've only increased the governor from 113 to 115 on mine.

And remember, if you do decide to change to a higher gearing, the failure point should be at even lower speeds than the infamous 135 mph.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:06 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
Lots of good advice here. Gears and a tune are by far the most popular for acceleration. I personally have 3.73s and love them. Shorty headers are also known to give a decent low rpm power boost. And if you really want some off-the-line acceleration, a torque converter helps the autos immensely when it comes to launching. I'd only go this route if you see the track on a regular basis though.

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Where can you buy a torque converter, personally I have a manual but my buddy needs one in his.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 02-02-2016, 12:11 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris44117 View Post
Where can you buy a torque converter, personally I have a manual but my buddy needs one in his.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
American Muscle to name one of many.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:59 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
You'll need the tune at the same time as the gear change. I had my gears installed and when I picked it up I downloaded the tune. Otherwise your shift points and speedo will be off. When they design the tune the ask you what gear size it is designed for. I thought I picked up the wrong car after gears and a tune! It was a beast on the low end. .373 gears Bama tune! Good luck!

sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:03 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
American Muscle to name one of many.

Thanks.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 02-02-2016, 03:31 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Also, just in case you are unaware, after we've all suggested a tuner and the options you can control, if you increase/remove the governor, remember the driveshaft issue. I know from your introduction you're new to mustangs, so just a potential heads up. I've only increased the governor from 113 to 115 on mine.

And remember, if you do decide to change to a higher gearing, the failure point should be at even lower speeds than the infamous 135 mph.

Thanks for the advice! I will keep that in mind for sure! It feels kinda scary to be changing settings with the tuner so I will probably try using one of the presets first then do some research on changes.

I looked into a bama tuner so far and it looks like it comes with 2 presets for 2011-2014 one was performance and the other was like a drag or street.

The performance will probably feed my need for speed for starters lol
Old 02-02-2016, 04:13 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I looked into a bama tuner so far and it looks like it comes with 2 presets for 2011-2014 one was performance and the other was like a drag or street.

The performance will probably feed my need for speed for starters lol
I run Bama's 91 octane performance tune in the winter and the 91 octane race tune the rest of the seasons. It's just easier on my clutch in the winter dropping down a level. Either way you can't go wrong, especially with the automatic.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang