Break in period for gears? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-03-2016, 02:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Break in period for gears?

Sup guys, so as many of you know, i got my gears installed PROPERLY after my gear horror story.
Loving the new 4.10's really am. So whats the break in period? Iv been doing a lot of searching and some people say 500 miles while others say by the time you get home they will be broken in.
Thoughts?
I read that some people say dont go at a steady speed or at a high speed and so many restrictions! Then other people say that it really doesnt have one... give it a good 4 days of driving and your set. Others say that the day they get them installed they take them to the track and 2 years later still no problems.
So far I have about 100 miles on the gears. I highway drive all the time but being miami, im kind of restricted to going tops 70 mph during rush hour. No whine or anything. When letting go of the accelerator maybe I hear a whine but not even. I actually think its just me being paranoid due to what happened before lol. But in any case, everything is great and the car sounds amazing.
what are your thoughts on breaking periods? Is it REALLY 500 miles?
martinez8191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2016, 03:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Go easy on them the first 250. DO NOT FLOOR IT OR MAINTAIN THE SAME SPEED. don't use cruise control the first 250. At 250.

Replace the fluid. Start the car and hammer that fugger man. Most people say 500 but I've always done it at 250 and never had an issue.

Just my .02. I know a lot of people will disagree but I don't care. That's how I've always done mine and never had issues with them wearing too soon and I'm a clutch dropper.
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez8191 View Post
Sup guys, so as many of you know, i got my gears installed PROPERLY after my gear horror story.
Loving the new 4.10's really am. So whats the break in period? Iv been doing a lot of searching and some people say 500 miles while others say by the time you get home they will be broken in.
Thoughts?
I read that some people say dont go at a steady speed or at a high speed and so many restrictions! Then other people say that it really doesnt have one... give it a good 4 days of driving and your set. Others say that the day they get them installed they take them to the track and 2 years later still no problems.
So far I have about 100 miles on the gears. I highway drive all the time but being miami, im kind of restricted to going tops 70 mph during rush hour. No whine or anything. When letting go of the accelerator maybe I hear a whine but not even. I actually think its just me being paranoid due to what happened before lol. But in any case, everything is great and the car sounds amazing.
what are your thoughts on breaking periods? Is it REALLY 500 miles?
Glad to hear your gear nightmare is over. To my knowledge, with a proper install, there isn't a break-in period. I think you just have to heat cycle the new differential oil. As for the whine, what brand gears do you have in there?
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Well iv been keeping a constant speed when I get on the highway. So far so good. Is the oil essential to change? Iv hear some peeps say it's not

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2016, 03:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudenInduven View Post
Glad to hear your gear nightmare is over. To my knowledge, with a proper install, there isn't a break-in period. I think you just have to heat cycle the new differential oil. As for the whine, what brand gears do you have in there?
I have Ford Racing Gears
Old 02-03-2016, 03:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
My shop told me I didn't have to, they used Royal Purple and its been two years with 3.73s and all is good.
It won't hurt anything if you want to swap the oil out after your break in, it might give you peace of mind after the ordeal you went through.
Glad it worked out for you, there are way too many nightmare gear installs on this forum!
Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Do you have to. No. Should you yes.
Look at it this way. You have metal on metal contact wearing into one another initially. So you have metal shavings in your fluid. Does it make sense to keep running with dirty metal filled oil or replace it.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

When you purchased your new mustang did you do a fluid change? The same thing happens with a new differential as the gears wear into each other that I'm sure would also contain some metal.
If this was true Ford would have a mandatory gear oil flush within 2k.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
When you purchased your new mustang did you do a fluid change? The same thing happens with a new differential as the gears wear into each other.

That's been my thought the whole time

Old 02-03-2016, 05:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I actually do. And I do the motor and trans each at 1000k. Ford gm dodge etc. they build cars that will last through there warranty and beyond that. They don't give a rats ***. So why would they tell you information that can make a car last 20 years. And be totally reliable. If they did that than they would sell half as many cars. Use your head people.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Lol, I think your the first person I've heard of doing a gear oil change at 1k. IMO its a little overkill for a daily. 😜

Old 02-03-2016, 05:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol, I think your the first person I've heard of doing a gear oil change at 1k. IMO its a little overkill for a daily. 😜

Lol yeah man that would be every two weeks for me

Old 02-03-2016, 05:27 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

He is referring to the initial gears oil, either from the factory or aftermarket.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

What gear oil did your shop use......the second time.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:30 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Royal purple

Old 02-03-2016, 05:35 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
He is referring to the initial gears oil, either from the factory or aftermarket.

Oh OK my misunderstanding. With that said, what about used cars? I highly doubt anyone that just gets a gt without knowing much about it will change the gear oil. Years later it's sold to a dealer and then the second owner takes it Still running with no problem. Being practical about this topic, Noone really knows about differentials or certain parts of the car. I tell my dad the rear gears and he would be like, there are gears in a lot of places in the car. Very few people do maintenance on cars to that extent just because they don't know

Old 02-03-2016, 05:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

It's called properly maintaining your daily. Any metal component wears into one another and puts metal in the fluids weather it be a fresh transmission, motor or rear end. You are oblivious to mechanics and common sense if you don't see this as being beneficial to change fluids early instead of going 80000 miles like most manufactures recomend.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:38 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

All I can say for a used car. Not matter how many miles. Dump all fluids change filters and fill back up. No clue as to what maintenance was or was not done so your best bet is to do it all.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:41 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
It's called properly maintaining your daily. Any metal component wears into one another and puts metal in the fluids weather it be a fresh transmission, motor or rear end. You are oblivious to mechanics and common sense if you don't see this as being beneficial to change fluids early instead of going 80000 miles like most manufactures recomend.
Sorry bro, gear oil change at 1k on a new car is not common sense, its overkill.......
Its not preventative at that point but obsessive.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:45 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Overkill to some. General maintenance to others. I had 350000 miles. Yes 350000 miles on my last car. Still ran like new. Original transmission. Org rear end. Orig motor. Only thing it ever needed was common suspension and common motor like water pump etc. never had any major break downs or internal issues. So yes I guess I'm overkill on stuff but ya know what. That car ran better than most cars do at 150k on the odometer. I'm not going to argue with you guys. If you don't want advice than don't take it. What I know I was thought by a retired 40+ year in the industry as a gm and ford test engineer. What he's taught me has made my cars run better longer.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:51 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
After all the back and forth I think the general consensus on most forums is to heat cycle the gears the first few miles (75-100). After that, hammah down guy. lol
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:53 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
500 miles with break in oil. No cruise control. 500 miles drain and flush, install synthetic of your choice. I've never had a whine or a issue of any kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:57 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Yes I actually do. And I do the motor and trans each at 1000k. Ford gm dodge etc. they build cars that will last through there warranty and beyond that. They don't give a rats ***. So why would they tell you information that can make a car last 20 years. And be totally reliable. If they did that than they would sell half as many cars. Use your head people.

1000k = 1,000,000 miles. Hope you're at least checking fluid levels between changes!

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:01 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh OK my misunderstanding. With that said, what about used cars? I highly doubt anyone that just gets a gt without knowing much about it will change the gear oil. Years later it's sold to a dealer and then the second owner takes it Still running with no problem. Being practical about this topic, Noone really knows about differentials or certain parts of the car. I tell my dad the rear gears and he would be like, there are gears in a lot of places in the car. Very few people do maintenance on cars to that extent just because they don't know

Well getting back on topic in the end its your call whether you want to flush the fluid, some have some haven't. I know when I picked up my car that's the first thing I asked. Just think of it this way, it won't hurt anything if you flush the fluid, and you have already gone through quite an ordeal on this install, so like I said do it just for your peace of mind.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:01 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I meant 1000miles my bad
Old 02-03-2016, 06:02 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
I meant 1000miles my bad

No problem, must be something in your water! Sorry, couldn't resist!

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:07 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Just lead. No big deal lol.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:08 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Break in period for gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
1000k = 1,000,000 miles. Hope you're at least checking fluid levels between changes!

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am

My merecedes almost scraped 500,000 b4 she died and I thought that was a lot lol.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I don't get it!

@martinez8191

I take it the final installers didn't instruct you of what you should do?
I assume they are guaranteeing the installation, so why don't you get their requirements rather than take a chance and do something contrary to their requirements.

I apologize if I completely missed something here.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:32 AM   #30
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
@martinez8191

I take it the final installers didn't instruct you of what you should do?
I assume they are guaranteeing the installation, so why don't you get their requirements rather than take a chance and do something contrary to their requirements.

I apologize if I completely missed something here.
That was my first thought, what do the installers recommend?
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:37 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Well from what they told me they guarantee the work and that just taking it around the block would be enough to break them or make them depending on the quality of the install. So pretty much what I read before, take it home your good.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:18 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Can anyone tell me what page # in your vehicle manual the instructions how many miles or months, for your break in oil to be changed in your gear housing. doh! The break in for vehicles is some thing from the past.
goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:55 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
@goman the guys who told me what to do have been putting gears in for 30 years....I'm using the break in oil and flushing after 500 miles. Quietest gears around!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:38 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well from what they told me they guarantee the work and that just taking it around the block would be enough to break them or make them depending on the quality of the install. So pretty much what I read before, take it home your good.
I was guessing that might be the case and you're taking the "Better safe than sorry" approach.
Can't say I can blame you. I would do the same.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:41 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I was guessing that might be the case and you're taking the "Better safe than sorry" approach.
Can't say I can blame you. I would do the same.
He mentioned that that's why the gears that were replaced were whining non stop. Which I guess makes sense seeing as its pure torque to the wheels. Can't really bend anything back anything like that

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang