Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Thinking about a change.

4K views 61 replies 25 participants last post by  walexelect 
#1 ·
I think I have decided I am going to be trading in my car for something newer. I currently drive a 2010 4.0 V6. (the red headed step child) I am considering a 13 - 14 V6 or possibly going to a 15 V6. I am not entirely sold on the 15 sixers yet. I feel like they are overlooked in terms of aftermarket supplies because of the ecoboost. I am just curious on peoples opinions on which I should shoot for?
Thanks in advance! :thumb:

#2 ·
Have you driven both the new V6 and the EB? And, what would be keeping you from considering the GT?
Keep in mind that if you want ANY options other than 3.55's you can't have the V6 -- Ford eliminated any options from the new V6. Not even leather seats or upgraded stereo can be had with the V6. However the new V6 has the same HP as my 1997 Cobra did when stock, so there is that.........

#3 · (Edited)
I have driven an 11-14 3.7 but not a 15+ nor an Ecoboost. The 3.7's are very impressive for a six, even in stock form. There are some bolt on/tuned 3.7's running some pretty impressive times that would put the older modular/pushrod v8's to shame.

Would you consider spending a tad more to get into a 12+ 5.0? I imagine if you looked hard enough you could pick up a lightly used 12-14 5.0 for around the same as a 15+ non v8 and be yards ahead of both in terms of performance and mod potential.

And no, the 4.0 Cologne isn't the red headed step child, the 94-98 3.8's were :lol: No offense to any of those owners.

#4 ·
Thank you both for the replies. I have considered the 5.0 a lot and would love to be able to get one but the insurance is something that makes me hesitant. I still look though hoping a good deal would pop up.

Guard 5.0-
I haven't driven the EB but I have the new V6 and what you said about not being able to add any extras to it are what really bother me and with all honesty the EB isn't something that interests me all that much.

Sonicpony03-
You are right about the 3.8, but in some cases the 4.0 isn't much better (No offense to anyone out there as I have seen some nice ones of each model.) But I still do keep in mind a used 5.0 and that would be a great upgrade its just a challenge because I would like one with lowish miles (Under 50 pref.) and for around 21K...

With all that said a 3.7 is my best bet with my current finances and thats why I am wondering more about them.

P.S. I also haven't driven the 5.0 with the fear of falling in love and needing one:whistling:

#5 ·
I had a 09 v6 my first stang though it was a nice car you can do only so much to the 4.0 as far as hp goes. So traded it in for a 2012 3.7 night and day difference very happy with it and with a good tune on it will put a smile on your face for sure .Would i enjoy a 5.0 more yea i would but all said and done our car payment is a little more than our 09 payment so for a100 more hp the 3,7 imo is a good choice for you....Also i went to the AM show this past summer and alot of 3.7s were there in the car show so i believe these 3,7 are getting alot of respect and this engine is no longer the red headed step child.

#7 ·
Realistically the V6 and eco do not have that much of a difference in terms of performance unless you mod the eco will give you more performance for less. Either one will be a huge improvement from what you have.

I would try and look at both and see if you like the 13-14's better then the 15-16's and see what you like better. The main difference is the way it drives (IRS vs. SRA) and the interior.

#9 ·
I think I have decided I am going to be trading in my car for something newer. I currently drive a 2010 4.0 V6. (the red headed step child) I am considering a 13 - 14 V6 or possibly going to a 15 V6. I am not entirely sold on the 15 sixers yet. I feel like they are overlooked in terms of aftermarket supplies because of the ecoboost. I am just curious on peoples opinions on which I should shoot for?

Thanks in advance! :thumb:

I have nothing to compare it to but I just bought my 2013 v6 2 months ago and am pretty happy with my purchase.

First off, I had a Honda Accord before this and everyone tried to tell me how awful gas mileage would be now...it's not THAT bad and again it's a v6 so it's not as bad as a v8 would be but with the Honda I would put gas once a week with this car I feel like I just put gas 1 or 2 days earlier. My avg mpg reads 21.4 on the dash but I feel I've heard better from other people on here.

Second, 2013 is not that old but not that new so like what u said about finances...it can be pretty affordable plus what I decide was to get the v6 vs v8 to have lower payments and still have money to have fun and modify some things...you can consider that too.

Lastly, I love LOVE the bulky look of the 2013's and 2014's with the hood being rounded out and just looking thick in general. It really looks like a muscle car IMO and that's one of the things I love about it the most. I was really considering 2012+ when I bought my car but I had always been set on the 2013's so got that one when I found a great deal.

Hope l didn't ramble too much. Again, I don't have another year to compare it to "driving wise" but I hope I gave you SOME helpful info and I wasn't just blabbering nonsense :)

#11 ·
Thank you everyone for the replies it gives me a lot to think about now with my decision, but ultimately I believe I will be going with a 13/14 V6. Unless a great deal pops up with a 5.0... but I like what BadNews01 said about going with the V6 and having a little bit more money for mods. Even though the new 15/16 have a lot nicer interior IMO I just love the 13/14 exterior. Thank you everyone for your replies again and hopefully you all will be hearing from me again soon with a new set of keys in my pocket!

#13 ·
The 13-14 rear end is a lot nicer, imo. I would recommend opting for the premium edition. You'll get the upgraded shaker sound system that is a big plus. You should get the projection lights on the side of the car. You'd get leather interior. And you'd get ambient lighting (and digital display with a few nice perks). Mine came stock 2.73s, though so had to swap them out.

#22 ·
I got a base with sync and then found a set of roush take of leather seat covers on their eBay story and installed them which is a lot cheaper then the premium package.

Sync is the only thing you really can't install aftermarket although there are plenty of nice stereos with navigation that you can install.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#23 ·
Look for a 2013- 2014 V/6 , Manual Trans with the Performance Package. Try to get one as lightly optioned as possible to save weight. You can live with the Sync package and the Tech, which gives you a power seat, fog lamps, Auto dim mirror. This V/6 is already faster than the Eco and you can improve on it. Search Autotrader, many dealers don't even know what the Performance Package is so you many be able to find one sleeping. I bought mine a 2013 in Dec 2015 with 18K for $16,000.00 from a private owner. A lot less than buying a new one. Try to get one that is still within the 36 months 36000 Miles warranty and you can purchase a Ford Extended Warranty if you wanted to. I hope this helped.

#26 ·
For the money my 2011 premium convertible is a great summer cruiser. Threw in a set of 3.73's and got some 19" wheels and tires off a GT, lowered it....get nothing but compliments! I'd spent double to get a GT! It handles like a dream! Very affordable, peppy, cruising, head turner! My wife is always telling me to slow down!!????

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#30 ·
oh god. kona you're great, but please don't ever use a meme again hahahaha... that's the foul Bachelorette meme. complete wrong usage.

sorry to Internet nerd out on you.. but ugh. hahahaha

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4

#35 · (Edited)
IMO, there is nothing wrong with the 15 V6s, because they re still essentially the same car as the 14 V6 aside from the new rear end and sheet metal/styling. Everyone goes on about how they are just base models, but I bought my 14 specifically AS a base model.

Less to break, add my own bling as I see fit, and a lot less cash out of my wallet. As you can guess, I generally only buy base model cars - though a step up from the previous model.
ie - a Fully loaded Focus or a base Mustang? They actually both have about the same options, but the weekend ad loss-leader nothing on it, hope you like shifting gears ( grin ) Mustang is flat-out a better car for just 1-2K more money.

And the V6 is a great engine. Very easy to drive manual with as the torque curve is as predictable as a watch. Other than a few instances on onramps and the like, there's nothing I've driven in the last 50K miles here in Los Angeles that a V8 would have driven any better or faster. And that includes a lot of moutain roads as my commute every day goes over about 15 miles of them round-trip.

EDIT: That said, I highly suggest a base model 14. They can be had for a much more reasonable price and look great as well. I recommend either the green or the ruby red, as the tricoat paint will last 2-3x longer than the normal paint.

#37 ·
lol i have plenty of hobbies, bruh. way to take a joke though! ?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.