93 Octane Tune (BAMA Tuner) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-06-2016, 07:12 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
93 Octane Tune (BAMA Tuner)

So I made another post about considering a bama tuner...long story short I ordered one and am patiently waiting by the door until the package comes in...any day now...waiting...by the door...

Anyway, as I wait I was wondering if there was anything I should worry about with the tune/tuner? I get 93 Octane gas so when I ordered it I asked for the 93 Octane tunes. Was I supposed to go one grade down or does 93 Octane tune really mean you use 93 Octane? Lol I saw one video of someone mentioning knocking and how they go down...(they went down on "sparks" or something like that...I'm not too confident to change specific settings like these)

Also, what happens if I just decide to fill up with another form of gas one day? Should I take the tune off till I go back to 93?

I just want to make sure I don't mistreat my car on accident and wondered what are somethings I should be cautious about when using the tuner.
BadNews01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2016, 08:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
If for some reason you can't get 93 for a tank, you will be fine. The computer can adjust, just don't beat on it. Otherwise if 93 is readily available that's what I'd(and do) run. If you get knock, you need to datalog and dial it in. But dataloging is something you should do anyway, its what takes that mail order tune and makes it custom to your car, gas, etc.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2016, 10:09 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Op, if your tuned for 93 do not use anything other then 93 in your car.
When you order tunes from bama always get a 91 and 87 loaded on your tuner in case your somewhere where 93 is not available and you can change the tune according to the octane your putting in the tank, they are completely free from Bama.
Its fine if your running octane with a higher value then the tune your running but NOT the opposite.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2016, 10:31 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Op, if your tuned for 93 do not use anything other then 93 in your car.
When you order tunes from bama always get a 91 and 87 loaded on your tuner in case your somewhere where 93 is not available and you can change the tune according to the octane your putting in the tank, they are completely free from Bama.
Its fine if your running octane with a higher value then the tune your running but NOT the opposite.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Yeah that makes sense I will do that to be safe. I just don't want to damage my engine of course.

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-06-2016, 10:32 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
If for some reason you can't get 93 for a tank, you will be fine. The computer can adjust, just don't beat on it. Otherwise if 93 is readily available that's what I'd(and do) run. If you get knock, you need to datalog and dial it in. But dataloging is something you should do anyway, its what takes that mail order tune and makes it custom to your car, gas, etc.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

So when I get the tuner I should be data logging and then send the info back to them to get a more customized tune? Ok I'll make sure to be doing that for sure!
Old 02-06-2016, 03:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
My tunes are for 93 octane , never use anything less , i also have a race tune that needs race gas .I dont do any traveling in the car so I havnt run into a situation where I couldnt get 93, you may want to keep that in mind if you travel to a STATE where its not available
WAR HORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAR HORSE View Post
My tunes are for 93 octane , never use anything less , i also have a race tune that needs race gas .I dont do any traveling in the car so I havnt run into a situation where I couldnt get 93, you may want to keep that in mind if you travel to a STATE where its not available

Wow thanks for the advice that really is something I didn't think about. Very smart to have that in mind. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2016, 01:54 PM   #8
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
If for some reason you can't get 93 for a tank, you will be fine. The computer can adjust, just don't beat on it.
Not with a tune, no. The stock tune IS designed to adjust to different octanes. Custom tunes on the other hand, are built for a specific octane. It's usually safe to go up in octane, but you should never go down in octane as you risk damaging the engine.

OP, the best thing you can do is reload the stock tune when you can't get 93 octane. Due to my mods, I have a separate, lower octane, tune made that I can load if going on a road trip or anything else that may not guarantee access to my normal octane.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
Not with a tune, no. The stock tune IS designed to adjust to different octanes. Custom tunes on the other hand, are built for a specific octane. It's usually safe to go up in octane, but you should never go down in octane as you risk damaging the engine.

OP, the best thing you can do is reload the stock tune when you can't get 93 octane. Due to my mods, I have a separate, lower octane, tune made that I can load if going on a road trip or anything else that may not guarantee access to my normal octane.

Yeah I'm just going to play it safe. If I got 93 I'll leave the 93 tune if not I'll take it off.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang