race tracks/ drag strips etc... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-08-2016, 03:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
race tracks/ drag strips etc...

Hello Everyone,
So I've tried sending out emails regarding track information, available dates for public use, what are the requirements to use vehicle, etc... It seems it is not as simple as I thought. I was thinking tracks are open to the general public, you pay a fee, sign some papers, and boom you're in. But apparently, tracks must be "rented" out to groups or orgs that then I can pay for to use? Some one please explain this to me. I am in the SoCAL area and literally I want to just get on the track and use my vehicle.
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2016, 04:38 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Just go to a drag strip on a "test and tune" date. No need to rent the track, and lots of new drivers there on a test and tune so the experienced racers won't give you a lot of crap (and most will give you help if you ask).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:39 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Check this link for one near you.

Dragstrip Finder
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2016, 05:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. It would be very expensive to rent a race track for a day to go out and buzz around on!
Many clubs and organizations have track days where you can go out and have lap sessions with other enthusiasts and split the costs of the track rental, insurance, safety personnel, etc, between many people.
If you search through the At The Track forum, one of the forum members periodically posts notices about track day events in Southern California.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Check this link for one near you.

Dragstrip Finder

Thanks for this.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If you're talking road course, the tracks are rented through 3rd party groups. A lot of local tracks will post their calendars and what run groups are renting them on various weekends. Not sure where things are in Cali, but for the sake of example here's The calendar for:

Thunder Hill:
Schedule of events | Thunderhill Raceway Park

Laguna Seca:
Calendar - Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca

Basically just see what run groups are running various weekends and then get hooked up with those run groups to go out and hit the track. Seems a lot more daunting than it actually is, but once you do it at least the first time its much easier.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Check out extremespeed.com. They are by far the least expensive and best group to run with. Most track days are at Willow Springs, streets of willow Buttonwillow and chuckwalla as well as Irwindale speedway.
Some track day specials are as low as $80 per day. If you buy a package deal it could be even more like 40 -$50 a day. I don't know any other group that can touch this price. This is Who I have been using for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Redonblackpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redonblackpony View Post
Check out extremespeed.com. They are by far the least expensive and best group to run with. Most track days are at Willow Springs, streets of willow Buttonwillow and chuckwalla as well as Irwindale speedway.
Some track day specials are as low as $80 per day. If you buy a package deal it could be even more like 40 -$50 a day. I don't know any other group that can touch this price. This is Who I have been using for years.

Does that include an instructor? How long are the sessions, and how many session per day? That is crazy cheap.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:38 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
Hello Everyone,
So I've tried sending out emails regarding track information, available dates for public use, what are the requirements to use vehicle, etc... It seems it is not as simple as I thought. I was thinking tracks are open to the general public, you pay a fee, sign some papers, and boom you're in. But apparently, tracks must be "rented" out to groups or orgs that then I can pay for to use? Some one please explain this to me. I am in the SoCAL area and literally I want to just get on the track and use my vehicle.
Although taking the Mustang to a drag strip is pretty straight foward, pay the $45 for the day, go through tech....and go race. If you car will run faster than 13.99 in the quarter mile you will be required to wear a helmet....at least at NHRA sanctioned tracks...and in racing on a road course it will also be mandatory to wear a helmet...you can usually rent them for $15 per day.
Have you ever raced on a road course???? If not I would suggest taking a full track session with HOD...https://www.hookedondriving.com/first-timers.
I have raced with the SCCA for a lot of years and HOD is a great first step to really enjoying your car on a road coarse...and if you ever would decide to get your SCCA license you can use the HOD certificate to by pass some of the cost in taking the three day school.
Just a thought....
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:42 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Another place to look around on for a track day is motorsportreg.com. They have a pretty good search by distance from area code function. Myautoevents.com is another good one.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Does that include an instructor? How long are the sessions, and how many session per day? That is crazy cheap.
MBCA does a track weekend out at NCCAR for about $150 each year. 20 minute sessions, four per day.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the info guys. I have zero track or drag strip experience. There is a course offered at willow springs runs about 600 for whole day w my vehicle. I definitely think j should try this before anything else.

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, procharger supercharger, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
Old 02-09-2016, 01:05 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Thanks for all the info guys. I have zero track or drag strip experience. There is a course offered at willow springs runs about 600 for whole day w my vehicle. I definitely think j should try this before anything else.

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, procharger supercharger, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
Who puts on that course...is that Bondurant School. $600 sounds pretty expensive for just a one day course, HOD is half that and I can tell you from personal experience it is a good one.
You can almost get your SCCA license for that kind of money and that is a 3 day course....of course you have to rent a real race car.....So, for about $1600/1800 you can rent a race car and get your SCCA Novice drivers license and have three days of a lot of fun and do some real racing!!!!!....then you have two years to race 2 national events to get your Competition Drivers license..........once you get on the track you are going to be hooked...guaranteed!
Old 02-09-2016, 01:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Or you could pick up an SCCA Time Trial Novice license for $75, do three events within 90 days, and upgrade to a full license for free. If you run an SCCA Street Prepared car, you get several rulebook exemptions to keep cost down (I can't personally recommend taking them, because safety is a concern).

Old 02-09-2016, 01:30 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
Or you could pick up an SCCA Time Trial Novice license for $75, do three events within 90 days, and upgrade to a full license for free. If you run an SCCA Street Prepared car, you get several rulebook exemptions to keep cost down (I can't personally recommend taking them, because safety is a concern).
I've thought long and hard about getting an SCCA license, but i really enjoy tinkering so i just stick to HPDE. I'd hate to be bound by class rules on what mods i can do you know.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I have absolutely no affiliation with extremespeed. But I'm telling you they are the absolute best group to run with. You get five sessions at approximately 30 minutes each. In most cases that's more than a full tank of gas. On the streets of willow track 1.86 mi., that's well over 50 laps per day. All day driving instruction is aNother $50 on top of $89. There are 4 run groups. Beginner all the way to advanced.

Redonblackpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:12 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've thought long and hard about getting an SCCA license, but i really enjoy tinkering so i just stick to HPDE. I'd hate to be bound by class rules on what mods i can do you know.
Half the fun is dissecting the rulebook, then proceeding to break it (break, not cheat).

Old 02-10-2016, 12:21 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I am interested in going to a road course for the first time about an hour away from me, (Liberty Bell). I'm picking up some good info in this thread.
la pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:27 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Half the fun is dissecting the rulebook, then proceeding to break it (break, not cheat).
Back when i still had my miata i spent a lot of time over on their forums. You wouldnt believe some of the stories the spec racers were telling haha. Then again, you probably would.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:56 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

There are rules for going on a track? What the? Lol

Old 02-10-2016, 04:03 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There are rules for going on a track? What the? Lol

There are no rules (other than safety) for a "track day." There are SCCA class rules if you're actually racing.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:08 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Lets just say that what you saw was what is published. We have way more interesting things that nobody talks about...

Old 02-10-2016, 04:19 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lets just say that what you saw was what is published. We have way more interesting things that nobody talks about...

?

Just saw arosc is having an event next weekend 295 for two days.
Anybody done these?

Old 02-10-2016, 04:27 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Volt has an idea of what I am hinting at. Serious grey area stuff.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:32 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
I am interested in going to a road course for the first time about an hour away from me, (Liberty Bell). I'm picking up some good info in this thread.
Another good one is Summit Point, an hour west of D.C. Just one word to the wise, don't go off at Summit, no run off anywhere, but it will make you a better driver.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:34 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Back when i still had my miata i spent a lot of time over on their forums. You wouldnt believe some of the stories the spec racers were telling haha. Then again, you probably would.
I raced a Spec Miata for a number of years...I loved it although having 30 cars on the track at one time with 2/10ths between the front runner and tail gunner usually means some very close racing....not always the fastest car gets the finish line first.
You mentioned Thunderhill...was my home track....one of the safest tracks in all of California....nothing like coming into turn #1 at 100mph!!!!
Picture of me on the grid for my first National Event at Thunderhill...2006. Love that track!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1949.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	196905  
Old 02-10-2016, 06:40 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

There's quite a few youtube videos of the 25 hours of Thunderhill. Really crazy to watch that.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:12 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

volt there is an event costs 295 two days... Two hours classroom two hrs skid pad and two hours track time... It's a driving school... Two days. This sounds wha I'm looking for right? Getting to know my car and becoming a better driver. What u think?

Old 02-10-2016, 09:47 PM   #29

In the SoCal area there is racing at Chargers Stadium in San Diego. racelegal.com Also Pomona has racing there test and tune, and also Street nights. So does Irwindale. Love to see you out there getting some
Old 02-10-2016, 11:51 PM   #30
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I raced a Spec Miata for a number of years...I loved it although having 30 cars on the track at one time with 2/10ths between the front runner and tail gunner usually means some very close racing....not always the fastest car gets the finish line first.
You mentioned Thunderhill...was my home track....one of the safest tracks in all of California....nothing like coming into turn #1 at 100mph!!!!
Picture of me on the grid for my first National Event at Thunderhill...2006. Love that track!
Thunderhill is an awesome track. Was there not long ago with some friends. I rode along. Both in 2014 GTs and consistently hitting 130 by the end of the straight before tapping the brakes then hitting the turn. Its nice they had a long sweeper right after the straight, so you can carry speed through it. But that hill not long after it is a pain to get over with cowl hoods lol. Both have hoods that sit higher and when i was riding along my friend was sitting up and stretching his neck upward to try and see over the hood onto the road at the apex of the hill lol.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang