Upgrade Throttle Body-Yes/No? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Upgrade Throttle Body-Yes/No?

Ok, is it worth to upgrade throttle body. Yes or No?

2013 Mustang V6

I would love all input but especially input from people that did the upgrade! It seems like it's a 50/50 on opinion.

Also, the people that think it wouldn't be worth it would you think it would be worth it if you did other stuff first? Like in order to see benefits would it be best to have a cold air intake installed? People say a CAI is not worth it but would a CAI paired with a new throttle body make two things that are not worth it worth it?
BadNews01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2016, 05:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNews01 View Post

2013 Mustang V6

I would love all input but especially input from people that did the upgrade! It seems like it's a 50/50 on opinion.

Also, the people that think it wouldn't be worth it would you think it would be worth it if you did other stuff first? Like in order to see benefits would it be best to have a cold air intake installed? People say a CAI is not worth it but would a CAI paired with a new throttle body make two things that are not worth it worth it?
I'm new, so grain of salt here. That being said, I've continuously read that if you're going to get a TB/CAI then get a tune (I imagine that's why they always pair a tune with CAI). Otherwise, the benefits are limited if barely noticeable it sounds like.

It comes down to what's more important for you. Are the looks and sounds of the car a priority over performance? If performance is a priority, you'll need more than a TB to be pleased I'd wager. Much easier to be pleased over sound changes via exhaust. In terms of the performance direction, have you thought about a gear change? I'd say that will give you the most noticeable difference early on.
phillystang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

My understanding of the data is this:

When looking at a dyno graph you will see little to no gains, so people are tempted to write it off.

Those that have done it however, report an increased "seat of the pants" feel, or that the car is more willing to go with less throttle input. Basically that the car just seems more "alive" down low. This is not only hard to see on a dyno, but is almost impossible to put a quantitative measure to as well.

That is just my interpretation of the information.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2016, 07:15 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Do it. I did and I don't regret it a second. Midrange pull definately something you feel. That's where our sixers need it the most.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
If you're thinking about putting on the TB then I would save the money until you can buy both that AND a tune. Otherwise you're not gonna see much of a performance difference by just bolting the TB on.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
MadGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:04 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Different folks have different results but yes, the tuner will maximize things but for my part, I felt and saw a difference right off before I got my tuner.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Upgrade Throttle Body-Yes/No?

I have a roush intake and sct 91 octane tune, will i notice the difference or should i save up a little more and buy a aluminum driveshaft?
asvpedwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:29 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGenius View Post
If you're thinking about putting on the TB then I would save the money until you can buy both that AND a tune. Otherwise you're not gonna see much of a performance difference by just bolting the TB on.

I actually have a tuner coming in the mail TODAY! Pretty excited about it but already thinking ahead to the future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton CIT View Post
Different folks have different results but yes, the tuner will maximize things but for my part, I felt and saw a difference right off before I got my tuner.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Thanks for your advice! I'm glad you responded since you said you bought one and can notice a difference. I am very interested in low rpm acceleration so that sounds great!
Old 02-11-2016, 11:18 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillystang View Post
I'm new, so grain of salt here. That being said, I've continuously read that if you're going to get a TB/CAI then get a tune (I imagine that's why they always pair a tune with CAI). Otherwise, the benefits are limited if barely noticeable it sounds like.

It comes down to what's more important for you. Are the looks and sounds of the car a priority over performance? If performance is a priority, you'll need more than a TB to be pleased I'd wager. Much easier to be pleased over sound changes via exhaust. In terms of the performance direction, have you thought about a gear change? I'd say that will give you the most noticeable difference early on.
Yeah I can imagine a tune will help but at the same time I can't imagine buying something for $400 (the throttle body) and not seeing some sort of a difference.

As I just mentioned above I actually have a tune coming in the mail so maybe later on I will get the CAI and Throttle Body to go with it.

Personally, whats most important to me is performance first and sound 2nd...looks would be last because I like the way my car looks already lol

Also, yeah I am also interested in gears because I heard good things just scared of where to take it to make sure it's done good...thats a scary mod
Old 02-11-2016, 05:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Like what most everyone has said there doesn't seam to be any quanitive measure as to weather or not a $400 TB makes any difference. From experience the best thing to drop your money into looks to be gears and tune. Far more real world results for what you pay. I will say that I have been tempted numerous time but I have seen more guys buy them and sell them off quicker than most people do with just CAIs
Old 02-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
There is a member here on M/E that sells a 80 mm GT TB that has had the bolt pattern milled into it so you can bolt it to the 3.7 intake. Price when I got mine was $160. You have to grind the fins out of the intake so that big ole butterfly will open up. I got MPT to include it in my tune and I love it. The throttle response with it is just so much smoother. A lot cheaper than $400. Just a thought.

PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:24 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPa View Post
There is a member here on M/E that sells a 80 mm GT TB that has had the bolt pattern milled into it so you can bolt it to the 3.7 intake. Price when I got mine was $160. You have to grind the fins out of the intake so that big ole butterfly will open up. I got MPT to include it in my tune and I love it. The throttle response with it is just so much smoother. A lot cheaper than $400. Just a thought.

I think I know who you're talking about. He did say he felt an improvement, but I don't think he ever got a before or after dyno.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yes that is correct, at the time he had no dyno information. However upon receiving the tb from him I carried my 2014 3.7 to a local shop with a rwhp dyno. We ran the car just as it came from the dealer Max Power 255.22 Max Torque 249.76. Same day same time we took the 68mm tb off and bolted the 80 mm up with a 1" spacer so the butterfly would open all the way and ran it again Max Power 257.81 Max Torque 251.65. So now was it tb or spacer ? After talking with MPT I have updated all my tunes for the 80 mm tb. They said it would be a definite gain. I am returning to the same dyno sometime next month but I have bolted on all the other mods so singling out the throttle body is going to be impossible.. Overall I am very satisfied with the reaction I get when I smash the pedal..
Old 02-13-2016, 06:40 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
First one I got was Dead On Arrival, couldn't get out of the driveway. AM sent another one and it worked fine. For those that can tell you they can feel the difference without pure data, I don't know what that is based on. I did not feel any difference, but if you are going to put on a tune, do some exhaust work, Cold Air Intake, it would make sense to have the 73MM TB.
2013 RedMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:42 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:

2013 Mustang V6

Don't waste your money on one. Its great for a paper weight. If you have to have one, don't buy new. Hey used and don't pay over $175. Still a waste of money for a N/A setup.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:09 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes that is correct, at the time he had no dyno information. However upon receiving the tb from him I carried my 2014 3.7 to a local shop with a rwhp dyno. We ran the car just as it came from the dealer Max Power 255.22 Max Torque 249.76. Same day same time we took the 68mm tb off and bolted the 80 mm up with a 1" spacer so the butterfly would open all the way and ran it again Max Power 257.81 Max Torque 251.65. So now was it tb or spacer ? After talking with MPT I have updated all my tunes for the 80 mm tb. They said it would be a definite gain. I am returning to the same dyno sometime next month but I have bolted on all the other mods so singling out the throttle body is going to be impossible.. Overall I am very satisfied with the reaction I get when I smash the pedal..
Let's us know how it goes.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:03 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Never trust your butt dyno unless it has been recently calibrated by a professional.

The power people claim to feel is likely a placebo affect. Gonna be difficult to feel a gain or loss of a few horses. DA will have more affect on how the car runs rather than a new mod like a TB.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
As far as I learned from internet discussion, TB seems not bring much gain if any. If you prefer more lower end pull, a shorty head might be the way to go for same $400-ish money.

But installation of shorty head is much more difficult than TB.
alfaromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:05 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaromeo View Post
As far as I learned from internet discussion, TB seems not bring much gain if any. If you prefer more lower end pull, a shorty head might be the way to go for same $400-ish money.

But installation of shorty head is much more difficult than TB.

Yeah that was actually going to end up being my next purchase...I wanted to go down the line in this order- CAI, TB, and then headers

But since it seems like CAI and TB are a waste of money I think I may hold off on that.

2013 Mustang V6 Premium
Old 02-18-2016, 04:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I actually have the 80MM GT throttle body I still have to put on. I got it off of ebay for $65 a while ago.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
I actually have the 80MM GT throttle body I still have to put on. I got it off of ebay for $65 a while ago.

Wtf that is a great deal! Did u notice any difference?

2013 Mustang V6 Premium
Old 02-18-2016, 05:02 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I believe that's good price for take-off stock GT TB. But in order to fit that in our V6 engine, extra work need to be done on machining the thing. Should take that cost in the total price.

Quote:
Wtf that is a great deal! Did u notice any difference?

2013 Mustang V6 Premium
Old 02-18-2016, 05:39 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I waited for my warranty to get up before I put it on, so it will be going on as soon as other warms up.
As for the machining, it is an aluminum housing that needs the holes elongated to fit.
Roush has them on ebay for $70 for a bid or $90 for BIN for new take offs.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:42 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I believe that's good price for take-off stock GT TB. But in order to fit that in our V6 engine, extra work need to be done on machining the thing. Should take that cost in the total price.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1455838961.612493.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	197208

Old 02-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Man, you changed your 2010 to 2013 before warranty ends. You may replace your 2013 with 2017~ish soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
I waited for my warranty to get up before I put it on, so it will be going on as soon as other warms up.
As for the machining, it is an aluminum housing that needs the holes elongated to fit.
Roush has them on ebay for $70 for a bid or $90 for BIN for new take offs.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:44 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Man, you changed your 2010 to 2013 before warranty ends. You may replace your 2013 with 2017~ish soon.
Warranty was up on the 2010 when it was traded.
Right now I am taking it in on a emissions leak on the fuel inlet.
Still not a fan of the S550 so the the S197 is here for a while.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:54 PM   #27

Region: California
Quote:
Any updates? Have you dynoed it after updating your tune?
Also, what spacer did you use? Is that the airaid poweraid spacer?
moto2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:02 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Went back to dyno. Had 262 rwhp & 254 tq. I will post the dyno sheet when I return home from this trip. It really pulled strong up to 6000 rpm but fell down bad from 6000-7000. Maybe due to shorty headers or something else ?? The spacer is an airaid that was milled out to 3.15 ". Thanks, Have a Great Day

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang