Added bottom HID fog lights - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-15-2016, 12:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Added bottom HID fog lights

So I have the CDC front grille and wanted to add some fog lights to light on the front better. I can't really add the GT middle lights due to the cdc grille so I opted for the bottom lower ones. The wiring instructions wanted me to wire them to the middle fog lights on the GT which I don't have. So instead I spliced into the side marker lights which is really nice because it makes these fog lights automatic. They turn on when I open my door and when the headlights or running lights are turned on they also turn on. Besides that they are off which is nice that they aren't always on and nice that I don't have to manually turn them on. The install was pretty easy. I am not very good with working on cars and I did it with no major problems. I parked the car on my curb and laid under the splash guard. I took that off and then ripped the covers off and installed the fog light harness then the fog lights. My hand could barely reach the 4-5 screws that hold in the actual fog lights. After the install I liked them but they were very dim and yellow. I know they are fog lights but I got them more to be nice bright lights and the yellow they showed looked horrible with my bright HIDs in the headlights. So I bought a cheap HID kit and replaced the bulbs with that. Now they are a bright blue/white and are as bright as my headlights. Overall I love this kit that I bought from a Ford dealership on eBay for about $125

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1455561083.718102.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	197039Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1455561119.966565.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	197040Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1455561175.457318.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	197041Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1455561214.679807.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	197042Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1455561232.654646.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	197043Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1455561254.480082.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	197044Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1455561271.178245.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	197045Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1455561290.446846.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	197046Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1455561351.609105.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	197047

2013 Premium Performance White

Bama 93 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripe, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows, all lights tinted

Last Mod: Bama 93 Race Tune

IG: chaznungaray

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2016, 01:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Looks a lot better. I ordered my 2011 with the factory HID's and the fog lights looked 'pee yellow'. I changed the fog light bulbs with Hoen H11 bulbs for $35, they match perfect now
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah the difference is night and day. The yellow fogs throw off the whole look of the front. It looks great when they all match.

Bama 93 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripe, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows, all lights tinted

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2016, 09:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I added the same kit for mine. Also added the factory switch from Amazon & a wiring harness with a relay. I powered mine off a spare tap in the engine fuse panel. Your original install was dim (yellow) likely as the side marker light wiring is relatively low amperage.
I am glad to hear the HID kit worked for you. Was the one you got plug/play?
I've been pondering ordering one of those. Will do so now.
Thank you for the info.
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Fog Lights:

Hi Everyone:

I'm considering getting some fog lights for my 2014 (Base Model)
Any suggestions on which ones to get?
Which ones did you end up getting Chaz12 ?
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/181357322459

This is the kit that I got for $128 but it does not have a switch so that was a good thing for me because I wanted them to automatically turn on with my headlights but if you want to manually turn them on you might want to buy the switch harness separately or find a kit with it included. I think the starkey kit comes with a switch right?

Old 02-16-2016, 11:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The HID kit was plug and play, it took like 5-10mins to swap it out and use tie wraps to mount it under the car and prevent it from moving.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Where did you get the hid bulbs from?
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:42 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Cool... Thanks Chaz12 for the link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz12 View Post
2013 2014 Ford Mustang GT Genuine Ford Parts Fog Lamp Light Kit Complete | eBay

This is the kit that I got for $128 but it does not have a switch so that was a good thing for me because I wanted them to automatically turn on with my headlights but if you want to manually turn them on you might want to buy the switch harness separately or find a kit with it included. I think the starkey kit comes with a switch right?

Old 02-17-2016, 10:26 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooolbreeez View Post
Where did you get the hid bulbs from?

I got the whole kit on eBay for $20. Get DC instead of AC current though so they won't flicker. DC current is a lot brighter with no flicker. It comes with the 2 HID bulbs of whatever color temperature you want and then the 2 ballasts.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:23 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Good to know - thanks again
Old 02-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I installed the same lights but instead of trying to match the headlamp color, I just but in some Hella intense yellow bulbs. Yellow light better penetrates fog than white/bluish light, which tends to be reflected.

This way the lights look like they're supposed to be yellow instead of a dull white light.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBertrand View Post
I installed the same lights but instead of trying to match the headlamp color, I just but in some Hella intense yellow bulbs. Yellow light better penetrates fog than white/bluish light, which tends to be reflected.

This way the lights look like they're supposed to be yellow instead of a dull white light.

I went for a 'white' color. You're right, 'real' fog lights are yellow
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:11 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I see way to many Hondas and ricers with bottom yellow fog lights and I have never actually needed fog lights. We have no rain or fog here in Texas so I opted for the matching HID lights to match my headlights and it completely lit up the bottom front of the car at night as well

Old 02-18-2016, 02:24 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Want to say thank you in advance on behalf of all oncoming traffic you are now going to be blinding by putting a cheap Chinese HID in a halogen housing.

Especially those of us with legit medical light sensitivities.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Want to say thank you in advance on behalf of all oncoming traffic you are now going to be blinding by putting a cheap Chinese HID in a halogen housing.

Especially those of us with legit medical light sensitivities.

You should do some research before talking crap. The housing is the same HID housing that the 2013+ have. it is NOT halogen housing therefor there is no light reflection. You can clearly see it in the pictures but I guess you went straight to rude comments instead of looking at the housing in the pictures.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:30 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

You can clearly see it is the fish eye glass looking housing that does not break light. It shines down to the floor and blinds no one. So your sensitive eyes or medical condition or whatever is not affected. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1455838177.389618.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	197206

Old 02-18-2016, 08:40 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Do more research on the non quartz glass non laser aligned cheap HID kits you get on ebay. If you install HIDs and don't use Morimotos or an OEM... GTFO.

Also seeing as there were halogens in there before... its a halogen projector. Those do exist too.

Again, thanks for the glare. We with light sensitive eyes appreciate it.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:56 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Wow. I hope you understand that the housing is what matters and not the light itself. the HIDs are very bright by them self but when put into the housing they transmit the light just like my headlights do on my 2013. But I have better things to do than argue with someone that clearly does not know better. I'll take a picture at night when I have some free time to prove my point that your sensitive fragile little eyes won't hurt from my HID fog lights 👌

Old 02-19-2016, 06:33 AM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz12 View Post
Wow. I hope you understand that the housing is what matters and not the light itself. the HIDs are very bright by them self but when put into the housing they transmit the light just like my headlights do on my 2013. But I have better things to do than argue with someone that clearly does not know better. I'll take a picture at night when I have some free time to prove my point that your sensitive fragile little eyes won't hurt from my HID fog lights 👌

Fail.

But you're right, it is not worth continuing to argue with someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.

Carry on.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:00 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
You guys are making the kids upset being like that!
Nice job man it looks really good and I like how you got creative with wiring into the marker for the automatic function.
I like these lights. I also have the same grill on my 14 GT and like the look but miss having the fogs for looks mainly...they didn't do much. Problem though for me in my region..when you had them on, a lot of drivers flashed me thinking it was high beams lit up... Many older cars had similar headlight/ high beam placement that the GT may resemble and it definelty wasn't in their eyes or affecting vision.... I can see how people think that and flash as a signal to you... So that wasn't very fun getting highbeamed frequently.
But, here's the thing....I really want the Roush front Fog addition if money wasn't the issue. But it always is. The Roush is crazy more money than these and then you must permanently cut the bumper cover...more work, more money, more time to save almost $400 to even order them. I start to tell myself the ones you installed are great..which they are for the price and factory Mustang fog light kit or identical not autozone garbage and cheap.
But I know I will always wish I went for the ones I really want instead because I was being cheaper but still quality just a whole different look in the end though.
I am sticking with it... So I don't get that look until Fall or Winter maybe.
Hopefully this goal I have to delay mods until I can get what I really really want instead of something almost like I want but much less expensive , will keep my interest and love of it longer than all previous cars. It really is a huge financial hit to trade cars often and get that excitement back for a while...but it never seems to be the ultimate car for me very long. Oh the money I have flushed away doing that
Please don't hate on me though if I give in and post pics with my new fogs like OP's... They are a deal and look great. Be aware, these exact lights are sold sometimes as low as $120 or so and also as high as $230. I don't have a clue why but they're the same kit, maybe different maker?
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:29 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Except $20th HIDs are "garbage cheap". Again, not quartz glass, not laser aligned and guarantee the ballasts are very low end as well.

And your experience with getting flashed just backs up what I already said.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 02-20-2016, 07:22 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Except $20th HIDs are "garbage cheap". Again, not quartz glass, not laser aligned and guarantee the ballasts are very low end as well.

And your experience with getting flashed just backs up what I already said.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Scotty ..Brotatoe chip... If you meant my post about getting flashed when my 14GT fogs were on, I just had normal factory properly aimed fogs. It's the way it appears like you have your high beams on to some drivers because of their size and grill location. Very much like older cars with a four headlight set up, outside two are low beams, inside lit ip also and larger style..high beams. I see how it can happen even not blinding. But I'm old and remember that tendency. We never heard of hid, led, cell phones and we stomped the floorboard with your left foot searching for the metal button to highbeam someone.

Few cars had lower factory fogs and people mostly added them as a functional thing rather than appearance...they were ugly and stuck wherever it bolted the best. If a car coming your way had more than two big round lights lit up and in the same headlight portion of every car back then...then they were dooshes that deserved a highbeam blast to confirm they knew their dooshiness. Big round fogs were for jeeps and big trucks, and ususually never used but were covered with a cool logo cover like KC or some other trendy light maker.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:12 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
This would get you flashed when hi-beams were on for sure.
My parents had one of these.

Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang