Question on what to buy? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-15-2016, 07:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Question on what to buy?

So I have a 2012 V6 Premium with the stock 17" wheels. I'm thinking of just getting some new 17's that look a little better. My question is, if I use my tires I have now, would I need to purchase new TPMS sensors or can I use the existing ones?
Cameron2581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2016, 08:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Smile

You can use your TPMS sensors from your old wheels to the new wheels. You will still need to program the sensors to your car so they know where they are.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Side Questions

If the sensors were put back in the same location on the car, would they have to be programmed?
If they're put back in different locations, what would happen?
I would think they would just give a general low pressure alarm either way but I'm not familiar with Fords crazy system. They're already been tied into the cars computer system.
My Dodge requires no programming and tells me which tire is low regardless of it's location on the car.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2016, 09:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

The 2011-2014 V6 models were set up to use the 18" wheels from the factory. If you carefully check your speed with a GPS, you'll notice that with the 17s it runs a few percent high (IME, when it said 70 I was going ~68.5)

Switching to 18s makes everything dead-on. The suspension is also set up with the 18" in mind and works much better.

I suggest the new 15/16 GT rims. The silver and dark gray ones that come stock on them.
2015 Ford Mustang Oem 18" Magnetic Gloss Wheels With Pirelli 235/50/zr18 Tires | Mustang Forums at StangNet

I'm not selling these - It's just a good example of what they look like on these years. They look almost custom and yet people have these as take-offs all over the place for low prices. They bolt directly on.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Question on what to buy?

I've thought about going up but I really don't wanna pay for the tires
Old 02-15-2016, 10:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Also what width do I need to look for in the new rims?
Old 02-15-2016, 10:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The interesting thing with the take-offs is that you can get them for typically 700-800 cash ( 17" and 18" ). You can often sell your stock rims for $150-200 or so, and that brings the new rims and tires to about the cost of new tires alone. In my experience it was that same cost and I got new rims out of it - a win-win scenario.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOberlander View Post
The interesting thing with the take-offs is that you can get them for typically 700-800 cash ( 17" and 18" ). You can often sell your stock rims for $150-200 or so, and that brings the new rims and tires to about the cost of new tires alone. In my experience it was that same cost and I got new rims out of it - a win-win scenario.

Do you know what width I'd need to use the tires I have now?
Old 02-16-2016, 06:13 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Im on the same boat. Im ordering a pair of Konigs for my 12 v6.
https://www.treaddepot.com/#!productGroup/wheels/intmb
Im getting them 18x9 i believe is the width with some Nitto tires. So now that you guys say that, Im guessing a tune will not be necessary for the new size? When I order tunes it always asks for wheel size and i choose stock which would be 17".
Sorry dont mean to highjack your thread xD but i guess this info could be useful for both of us? hehe
martinez8191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:55 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Do it right or you will just wish you did every time you see other Mustangs with larger nicer wheels with wider tires.
YES it will take longer to save the money for a whole new set of wheels AND new tires since most likely you would go larger if money wasn't an issue. I've had a 2011 and now a 2014 and I don't know why you guys are talking about programming the tpms!.... Mine have connected all by themselves every time on both and it doesn't matter where you put them.
Why not make a decision to mod your Mustang with the parts, wheels, tires etc that REALLY makes it your dream car and then STICK to that commitment even when you have to wait longer to save the money.
Just putting on same diameter wheels that have a different design so you can still use your current dinky size tires to save money isn't really what you want is it? If it kinda isn't.....you will always wish you did it right the first time when you see yours and Then you see someone else's that gets your attention. It's like plasti-dipping your wheels for a "better" look. Skip all the boy racer, hood rat mods and go big boy.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I didn't need to program my tpms either, they synced right up when I put the new wheels and tires on by themselves. I've rotated them too with no problem either. I think some 17's would look good, I like they way they look with all the side wall. Although if I was buying new 17" wheels I wouldn't buy the same width as factory wheels just to use the same tires. I would definitely go wider. If the factory 17's on my car would have sat out closer to the fender I would have liked them better. I think they sit too tucked inside the fender from factory.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:52 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez8191 View Post
Im on the same boat. Im ordering a pair of Konigs for my 12 v6.
https://www.treaddepot.com/#!productGroup/wheels/intmb
Im getting them 18x9 i believe is the width with some Nitto tires. So now that you guys say that, Im guessing a tune will not be necessary for the new size? When I order tunes it always asks for wheel size and i choose stock which would be 17".
Sorry dont mean to highjack your thread xD but i guess this info could be useful for both of us? hehe
According to my info the 2012 V6 with the standard 17" wheel was a 235/55R17 X 8" wide with 48mm offset.
When looking at possible effects on your speedometer, it's not the wheel size but the tire size. In your case, assuming it's as I stated above, it's about 27.2"dia.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:09 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron2581 View Post
Do you know what width I'd need to use the tires I have now?
Same size wheels you have now- 8". Why not just look to confirm your current wheel size? Should be able to find it on the inboard side of your wheel.
Could go to 8.5" if you wanted to.
For example, this one is an 18" dia X 8" wide with a 55mm offset.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel-stamping.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	197083
Old 02-16-2016, 01:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooolbreeez View Post
I didn't need to program my tpms either, they synced right up when I put the new wheels and tires on by themselves. I've rotated them too with no problem either. I think some 17's would look good, I like they way they look with all the side wall. Although if I was buying new 17" wheels I wouldn't buy the same width as factory wheels just to use the same tires. I would definitely go wider. If the factory 17's on my car would have sat out closer to the fender I would have liked them better. I think they sit too tucked inside the fender from factory.
Yes, you guys are right, you most likely wont have to reprogram your TPMS when using your old ones. If you get a fault, that's when you would have to reprogram. this only happens rarely. Ones on our Mustang don't seem to be as sensitive as the ones on our 300.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:57 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Well my ultimate question is, what width new wheels should I get that will fit the tires I have now??
Old 02-16-2016, 03:26 PM   #16
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron2581 View Post
Well my ultimate question is, what width new wheels should I get that will fit the tires I have now??
Dude. Diehard have you a pretty good answer like two posts above. Should be able to look on the inside of one of the wheel spokes.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang