Whether I should get rid of my Mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-16-2016, 09:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Whether I should get rid of my Mustang

After spending thousands of dollars and installing all the upgrades from AmericanMuscle, I am thinking to get rid of my Mustang

My baby is 18 months old, and it is so difficult to put him into the rear facing car seat. Plus, his legs are often in a very uncomfortable position.

I am thinking to buy a good used Infiniti FX35/37 instead. Any advice?

Thanks.
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
liv4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2016, 09:29 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Whether I should get rid of my Mustang

Keep the mustang as a toy and get a beater 4 door car for a daily and what not. Have a car that's roomy for your boy and you still have your toy. Problem solved!

Every day is a joyride.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:27 AM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
that's gotta be tough....how often do you drive the kid is a main thing to consider. I like the idea of two vehicles (I also have a Taco) but if family life is going to be 90% of your life now and you don't want to spend that kind of $ on cars two is an expense and many of us older folks have gone without a fun car for many years until them time/$ was right. One easy thing to do for info is to stop by CarMax (or similar) and ask how much will you give me for your Stang.

The Nissan version will be less $ than the Infinity.

or plan B: roof rack
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2016, 06:56 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Put him in the passanger rear, that way can keep scooted up and you can see him. Been a few years but they are only rear facing for a brief time.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe if you are in a good spot financially you can consider something like a sho taurus, a charger, or a chevy ss and still keep an American car that is pretty fast and fun to drive. Just some thoughts if you really need to get a 4 door.
rubyredv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:15 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I would say get the Q50, if you want a 4 door sedan ,and Something that is fast. My friend has one, puts you in your seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
etr3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:39 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Many thanks for the replies, folks!

We actually do have another car - 2015 Fusion Hybrid. Right now I have been driving the Fusion almost all of the time, because of the issues I mentioned above. Wife's work is very busy. Therefore I spend time with my son most of the time.

That's the thing. I have a Mustang but I am not driving it as much. It needs to be changed.

I am leaning towards swapping cars right now, but I am worried that I'll regret in the future.
2014 Mustang 3.7L cyclone engine with 6 spd transmission. Mods: 93 MPT Race Tune, 3.31 Gears, Airaid CAI, BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers, Corsa Sport axle backs, Strut Tower Brace, Steeda rear seat X-brace, BMR Rear LCAs, GT wheels, MGW race spec shifter, Passenger seat delete, spare tire delete, Moroso battery relocation to the trunk.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:41 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Why not just keep driving the Fusion and hang onto the Mustang for a little bit? I don't drive all of my cars every week but they aren't going anywhere.

I guess the question is are you financially able to hang onto a car you may not drive very often?

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:45 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4spd View Post
Many thanks for the replies, folks!

We actually do have another car - 2015 Fusion Hybrid. Right now I have been driving the Fusion almost all of the time, because of the issues I mentioned above. Wife's work is very busy. Therefore I spend time with my son most of the time.

That's the thing. I have a Mustang but I am not driving it as much. It needs to be changed.

I am leaning towards swapping cars right now, but I am worried that I'll regret in the future.
So, the wife gets to drive the Mustang to work most of the time? As long as you get to drive it occasionally would that still work for you?
Heck, right now if I needed a four door car, the Focus RS would be my choice. 350 HP and 4 wheel drive sounds like a fun package to me right off the showroom floor. I still can't believe that the 2.3 EB Mustang people aren't HOWLING that the same engine in the Focus has so much more HP than their EB 'Stangs!!
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:19 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I drive both of the cars actually. My wife takes public transportation to work.

My goal is to increase the portion of time I spend on the fun car, not the Fusion. Right now, after taking my baby to the day care in the morning, I end up with a boring car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
So, the wife gets to drive the Mustang to work most of the time? As long as you get to drive it occasionally would that still work for you?
Heck, right now if I needed a four door car, the Focus RS would be my choice. 350 HP and 4 wheel drive sounds like a fun package to me right off the showroom floor. I still can't believe that the 2.3 EB Mustang people aren't HOWLING that the same engine in the Focus has so much more HP than their EB 'Stangs!!
Old 02-17-2016, 11:21 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
That was exactly my first thought as well!
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:44 AM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv4spd View Post
I drive both of the cars actually. My wife takes public transportation to work.

My goal is to increase the portion of time I spend on the fun car, not the Fusion. Right now, after taking my baby to the day care in the morning, I end up with a boring car.
I admit that I have never and will never be putting a car seat into my GT.......but don't the front air bags have a weight detector in the passenger seat that turns off the airbag when a car seat (or not enough weight there) signals the car not to activate the air bag?
It should be a lot easier to put the car seat in the front.
The very first Lamboghini Aventador that I saw once in Scottsdale, AZ had a child's car seat in the front passenger side --- really wish I'd grabbed a pic of that!
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
I got me a used 2006 BMW X5 in excellent condition, but my toy stays lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-17-2016, 12:47 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I feel your pain. My daughter is 24 months now. It is just impossible to fit her in stang. Only my wife's CUV can take her around. If you really want to keep your stang, you have to hang on for couple of years until the kid is big enough to use front face car seat in passenger seat or a booster seat. According to the manual of my booster seat, the time would be when kid is 4 years old. So hang on there.

Or if you want to make the change, as others suggest, chevy SS, charger scat pack are good candidates. But I don't recommend Taurus SHO.

Maybe you can change your fusion to one of the 4 door fun car. Then you will have two fun cars and no more headaches
alfaromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:23 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaromeo View Post
I feel your pain. My daughter is 24 months now. It is just impossible to fit her in stang. Only my wife's CUV can take her around. If you really want to keep your stang, you have to hang on for couple of years until the kid is big enough to use front face car seat in passenger seat or a booster seat. According to the manual of my booster seat, the time would be when kid is 4 years old. So hang on there.

Or if you want to make the change, as others suggest, chevy SS, charger scat pack are good candidates. But I don't recommend Taurus SHO.

Maybe you can change your fusion to one of the 4 door fun car. Then you will have two fun cars and no more headaches

Do you own an Alfa Romeo?

Every day is a joyride.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:06 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

If you can't get a Focus RS and still want some fun I would get a WRX, used or new.
2013 RedMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:03 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Everyone missed one basic point: Mustang is not suited for carrying babies at all, all the more with upgrades. It is a fun car, it provokes the driver to push forward faster and therefore it is more dangerous than other, regular cars whatever one may say. Hence there is no choice other than to have another, a less provocative car until the baby grows up
Vladimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:40 AM   #18
Staff

Regular
Staff

just noticed in Speeds signature "Passenger seat delete"
Old 02-18-2016, 06:37 AM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If you have a Fusion already and your wife takes the train... I'm not sure exactly what the problem is. You make time for the fun car if you really want to especially if your kid is in day care. If not, sell it.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:09 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

A Responsible Father would not push the car faster when they have babies in it. There is no reason to drive it fast all the time, that is for alone time. You need self control to own a Mustang or any performance car.
2013 RedMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:33 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I waited to buy my Mustang. My daughter is grown and out on her own. Some would say you should live for the moment. Others say delaying self-gratification returns greater satisfaction. You have to decide which is better for you, nobody can do that for you.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:37 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Unfortunately, no. I haven't physically touched an Alfa Romeo yet, except in auto shows. I got this nickname from my buddy in school who named himself as Romeo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
Do you own an Alfa Romeo?

Every day is a joyride.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:41 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Good catch!
I always think that mod is backseat delete until you point it out ! This probably is the most rare mod I have seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
just noticed in Speeds signature "Passenger seat delete"
Old 02-18-2016, 12:25 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I've had a lot of cars in the past 50+ years and had some really nice 2 doors while the kids were growing up....sure it was a hassle to get the car seat in sometimes and I managed. Took my first born home in a 70 Z28. ....my son came home six years later in a 76 455 TransAm.
I guess it's all about priorities....if your kids come first then you need a change...and changes don't have to be boring....I sold my 14 TrakPak because I wanted 4 doors...with some grunt and handling...ended up with an ATS-V with six speed.
I have driven 500/600 miles in a G-37S and can tell you that it is one really nice road car. The G37 IPL puts out about 25HP more although I don't think it comes in anything except the coupe....I looked at the new ones before deciding on the ATS.
If you only take your son in the Mustang on a occasional trip it might not be too bad...if it's often and he is very uncomfortable........do something about it!
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:46 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
40 - 50 years ago most cars seats were still looking like this design.
Click image for larger version

Name:	early_car_seat.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	197207
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:58 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
40 - 50 years ago most cars seats were still looking like this design.
Attachment 197207
May have looked like that on East Coast....here in the West they looked like this...at least in 1973...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Announcing-GMs-new-Love-Seats-may-1973-620x868.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	197210  
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:58 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
May have looked like that on East Coast....here in the West they looked like this...at least in 1973...
The car seats in use in the late 60's, when my kids were using them, were Not built for safety. Those seats were banned from being manufactured in '71.
The child safety seats were invented around that time but not widely used yet.
In fact, "less than 30 years ago, car seats weren’t required for children. It was estimated that by 1984, only half of all children under the age of four were riding in car seats."
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:19 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Good point. Maybe this is a good solution. My question is how reliable is that weight sensor?

Quote:
I admit that I have never and will never be putting a car seat into my GT.......but don't the front air bags have a weight detector in the passenger seat that turns off the airbag when a car seat (or not enough weight there) signals the car not to activate the air bag?
It should be a lot easier to put the car seat in the front.
The very first Lamboghini Aventador that I saw once in Scottsdale, AZ had a child's car seat in the front passenger side --- really wish I'd grabbed a pic of that!
Old 02-19-2016, 08:26 AM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
that's gotta be tough....how often do you drive the kid is a main thing to consider. I like the idea of two vehicles (I also have a Taco) but if family life is going to be 90% of your life now and you don't want to spend that kind of $ on cars two is an expense and many of us older folks have gone without a fun car for many years until them time/$ was right. One easy thing to do for info is to stop by CarMax (or similar) and ask how much will you give me for your Stang.

The Nissan version will be less $ than the Infinity.

or plan B: roof rack
First off, never take your car to CarMax. That's asking to get ripped off. Smartest thing to do would be to try to sell it outright if you have the time. If you don't have the time, trade it in to reputable dealerships that won't give you the lowest value for your car.

You know your finances better than any of us. If you could swing it, I would try to get a decent baby-mobile and have the stang for fun. I do that, but only because I could afford it. If I couldn't, I would be in just my SHO or an sti/evo. Only you can make this decision. Don't be selfish, but also don't give up everything you like in life if cars are your passion. Find a middle ground.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:31 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Well said Famine

Sent from my SM-N910V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-19-2016, 11:54 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

When you have a small child the last thing you have, if your spouse works, is lots of spare time. I gave up my toys way back then, with no regrets, and now that I do have spare time I can play again.

Plus I have more disposable income now.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:39 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

The sensor would work with a car seat all I have to do is put a book bag in the passenger seat and the airbag will turn on so I'm assuming all it needs is maybe 10 or 15 pounds of weight.
rubyredv6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang