Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Whether I should get rid of my Mustang

4K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  rubyredv6 
#1 ·
After spending thousands of dollars and installing all the upgrades from AmericanMuscle, I am thinking to get rid of my Mustang :banghead:

My baby is 18 months old, and it is so difficult to put him into the rear facing car seat. Plus, his legs are often in a very uncomfortable position.

I am thinking to buy a good used Infiniti FX35/37 instead. Any advice?

Thanks.

#3 · (Edited)
that's gotta be tough....how often do you drive the kid is a main thing to consider. I like the idea of two vehicles (I also have a Taco) but if family life is going to be 90% of your life now and you don't want to spend that kind of $ on cars two is an expense and many of us older folks have gone without a fun car for many years until them time/$ was right. One easy thing to do for info is to stop by CarMax (or similar) and ask how much will you give me for your Stang.

The Nissan version will be less $ than the Infinity.

or plan B: roof rack :)

#29 ·
that's gotta be tough....how often do you drive the kid is a main thing to consider. I like the idea of two vehicles (I also have a Taco) but if family life is going to be 90% of your life now and you don't want to spend that kind of $ on cars two is an expense and many of us older folks have gone without a fun car for many years until them time/$ was right. One easy thing to do for info is to stop by CarMax (or similar) and ask how much will you give me for your Stang.

The Nissan version will be less $ than the Infinity.

or plan B: roof rack :)
First off, never take your car to CarMax. That's asking to get ripped off. Smartest thing to do would be to try to sell it outright if you have the time. If you don't have the time, trade it in to reputable dealerships that won't give you the lowest value for your car.

You know your finances better than any of us. If you could swing it, I would try to get a decent baby-mobile and have the stang for fun. I do that, but only because I could afford it. If I couldn't, I would be in just my SHO or an sti/evo. Only you can make this decision. Don't be selfish, but also don't give up everything you like in life if cars are your passion. Find a middle ground.

#4 ·
Put him in the passanger rear, that way can keep scooted up and you can see him. Been a few years but they are only rear facing for a brief time.

#7 · (Edited)
Many thanks for the replies, folks!

We actually do have another car - 2015 Fusion Hybrid. Right now I have been driving the Fusion almost all of the time, because of the issues I mentioned above. Wife's work is very busy. Therefore I spend time with my son most of the time.

That's the thing. I have a Mustang but I am not driving it as much. It needs to be changed. :lol:

I am leaning towards swapping cars right now, but I am worried that I'll regret in the future.

#9 ·
So, the wife gets to drive the Mustang to work most of the time? As long as you get to drive it occasionally would that still work for you?
Heck, right now if I needed a four door car, the Focus RS would be my choice. 350 HP and 4 wheel drive sounds like a fun package to me right off the showroom floor. I still can't believe that the 2.3 EB Mustang people aren't HOWLING that the same engine in the Focus has so much more HP than their EB 'Stangs!!

#8 ·
Why not just keep driving the Fusion and hang onto the Mustang for a little bit? I don't drive all of my cars every week but they aren't going anywhere.

I guess the question is are you financially able to hang onto a car you may not drive very often?

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

#13 ·
I got me a used 2006 BMW X5 in excellent condition, but my toy stays lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#14 ·
I feel your pain. My daughter is 24 months now. It is just impossible to fit her in stang. Only my wife's CUV can take her around. If you really want to keep your stang, you have to hang on for couple of years until the kid is big enough to use front face car seat in passenger seat or a booster seat. According to the manual of my booster seat, the time would be when kid is 4 years old. So hang on there.

Or if you want to make the change, as others suggest, chevy SS, charger scat pack are good candidates. But I don't recommend Taurus SHO.

Maybe you can change your fusion to one of the 4 door fun car. Then you will have two fun cars and no more headaches :)

#17 ·
Everyone missed one basic point: Mustang is not suited for carrying babies at all, all the more with upgrades. It is a fun car, it provokes the driver to push forward faster and therefore it is more dangerous than other, regular cars whatever one may say. Hence there is no choice other than to have another, a less provocative car until the baby grows up

#19 ·
If you have a Fusion already and your wife takes the train... I'm not sure exactly what the problem is. You make time for the fun car if you really want to especially if your kid is in day care. If not, sell it.

#24 ·
I've had a lot of cars in the past 50+ years and had some really nice 2 doors while the kids were growing up....sure it was a hassle to get the car seat in sometimes and I managed. Took my first born home in a 70 Z28. ....my son came home six years later in a 76 455 TransAm.
I guess it's all about priorities....if your kids come first then you need a change...and changes don't have to be boring....I sold my 14 TrakPak because I wanted 4 doors...with some grunt and handling...ended up with an ATS-V with six speed.
I have driven 500/600 miles in a G-37S and can tell you that it is one really nice road car. The G37 IPL puts out about 25HP more although I don't think it comes in anything except the coupe....I looked at the new ones before deciding on the ATS.
If you only take your son in the Mustang on a occasional trip it might not be too bad...if it's often and he is very uncomfortable........do something about it!

#25 ·
40 - 50 years ago most cars seats were still looking like this design.
Vehicle Wire Car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.