Why is it so hard to find OEM wheel weight?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-17-2016, 01:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Why is it so hard to find OEM wheel weight??

So I just got an OUTSTANDING deal on a set of silver GT style wheels from AM. They arrived Monday and looked perfect, minus one that is being replaced from shipping damage. AM doesn't list wheel weights either, which drives me crazy since unsprung wheel weight makes a very big difference in performance.

For every 1 pound of unsprung wheel weight (only at the rear axle on our cars) is equal to 10 pounds of actual weight on your car. So if you go from 36 pound wheels to 29 pound wheels you just reduced 140 pounds from your Mustang. Sweet huh?

So anyway I weighed the new wheels and they come in a 29 pounds each. Looking at the stock wheels and rotating them, I'm going to guess anywhere from 32-38 pounds.

I've searched all over google but with no luck, so if anyone can give advice where to find the weight of the 19" PP wheels for the 2014 mustang please lmk.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2016, 08:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
AM does list wheel weights on some of their tires. You should try asking them.

Here's a little something from the following source.
The Effects of Rotational Inertia on Automotive Acceleration

"Shaving a pound from your tires is equivalent to shaving at most 2 pounds of non-rotating weight. That's PER TIRE, so a pound off each tire could worth close to 8 pounds of weight reduction. For wheels, the multiplier is closer to 1.6, so saving 5 pounds per wheel (20 total) would feel like a static weight reduction of 32 pounds. For brake discs, it can be as low as 1.2. Regardless of the equivalent weight ratio, you're best off reducing weight as much as possible, as you might expect."

I have found many statements on this subject of equivalent weights and they vary from 1.5 lbs per 1 lb rotational weight to 6 lbs / lb to 10 lbs per lb. So I guess you can believe whatever one you want.

I did find a couple of forum people that said the PP wheels were around 26 to 27 lbs.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I asked AM and the response I got was "around 30 pounds". As for the stock PP wheels I will be shocked if they are under 30. I've bought a lot if wheels in my time and stock wheels are typically heavy compared to after market. I plan on weighing one when I get them off so we shall see.

As for the unsprung weight difference, Im inclined to believe the 1=10 rule, beings I had put 10 pound heavier wheels on my CTS and could absolutely feel a difference when accelarating.

I guess I will wait til next week to find out the weight dif.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2016, 08:55 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
GT 19 x 9 with the stock 255 is 59 lbs. That will change a little depending on the tire, but thats factory wheel + tire weight.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:27 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Volt. Im going to start calling you the Science Guy. Lol

Do you know the wheel weight of the 19x8.5 PP wheels without the tire? If you figure that out Ill give you two gold stars!!
Old 02-18-2016, 10:35 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
Thanks Volt. Im going to start calling you the Science Guy. Lol

Do you know the wheel weight of the 19x8.5 PP wheels without the tire? If you figure that out Ill give you two gold stars!!
I have the 19x8.5 PP wheels with the OE 255/40 Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires in my shed and just weighed them on a bathroom scale. Total was 57 lbs.
Tire Rack says the tires are 26 lbs. so that leaves 31 lbs for the wheel.
Plus or minus a bit for bathroom scale accuracy.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Booyah... Thanks bud!
Old 02-18-2016, 12:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
All after market knock offs from AM have been about 4 to 5 lbs over the weight of factory wheels. My own premium GT wheels 18x8. Weigh in at 28.3 lbs. the knock off I bought from AM weighed in at 32 lbs. same thing with my 11gt.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Tire/wheel weights

Diehard Please the next time you go outside to weigh you wheels could you please wear a robe, the woman in the hood are going ballistic! Go baby!
goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post
Diehard Please the next time you go outside to weigh you wheels could you please wear a robe, the woman in the hood are going ballistic! Go baby!
Sorry...Could you hear them from your house?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang