Sold my 2014 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Sold my 2014

I just sold my 2014 Mustang.

For anyone interested, I under sold the car for $15,500. The car had 24,800 miles on it. No scratches, dents or any other blemishes.

Car was supposedly one of one, according to the Ford Rep lady from another forum.
The car had every option except track pack, Recaro and nav.

Mods on the car, 2014 GT hood with black heat extractors, Steeda CAI and 93 octane tune, Steeda MT82 bushing insert, class 1 trailer hitch and wiring for hitch.

This car was the biggest pile of junk I have ever owned and has basically convinced me to never a buy a new Ford product for the rest of my life. Not my problem anymore..

Why did I sell the car, and why did I sell it for way under market value?

I was tired of dealing with all the issues the car has had. The car was paid off and I only saw it as a liability once the warranty was gone. Not that Ford fixed anything major on the car. Once it got to the point that the car would just randomly die and they couldn't fix it, I knew it was time to get rid of it.

The things that I like about the car.

Looks, glass roof and the engine.

Things I didn't like about the car.

Everything else.

Anyways .. here are pictures some pictures of it.

So ... what am I going to get next?

I've thought about getting a lot of things.

2016/17 Camaro 1LE, Charger/Challenger Scat Pack, Polaris Slingshot, Cessna 172/182, Piper Cherokee, 96+ Viper GTS, C5/C6 Z06, Yamaha FZ1 or VMax.

Also thought of just investing the money and playing with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2016, 02:00 PM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
glad you got rid of it, I know ya didn't like it. Good luck and entertaining list of candidates.

of those choices I'd get the Vette
Old 02-19-2016, 02:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
So sad to read this. But, if FORD can't fix the same problem after multiple attempts, couldn't you apply lemon law and get refund or replacement? Maybe that's the specific single bad car and a new one would be good.
alfaromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2016, 03:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaromeo View Post
So sad to read this. But, if FORD can't fix the same problem after multiple attempts, couldn't you apply lemon law and get refund or replacement? Maybe that's the specific single bad car and a new one would be good.
Lemon law in Indiana is a joke. I tried everything possible and Ford fought back on everything.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
Lemon law in Indiana is a joke. I tried everything possible and Ford fought back on everything.
I wish you the best on your next adventure. Whatever it ends up being.
I think the market is slowly coming around so investing the money may be a good choice in the mean time.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Trailer hitch?

I've owned my 2014 for 7 months now and while it's not a perfect car, it's above what I expect for the money. Random rattles and a quirky transmission (before the SCT tune) aside, getting 300+ hp and leather interior with all the bells and whistles for the low $20k range is a damn good deal.

It sounds like you had bad luck and got a cursed one, which unfortunately happens with Lexus, Mercedes, definitely with any Chevy model, and any car out there. Now if you are done with Ford because of their customer support, that I can understand. But I wouldn't write off an entire company because of one lemon.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:13 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Sold my 2014

C6 Z06 and Challenger Scat Pack have my vote.

Every day is a joyride.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
I just sold my 2014 Mustang.

For anyone interested, I under sold the car for $15,500. The car had 24,800 miles on it. No scratches, dents or any other blemishes.

Car was supposedly one of one, according to the Ford Rep lady from another forum.

The car had every option except track pack, Recaro and nav.

Mods on the car, 2014 GT hood with black heat extractors, Steeda CAI and 93 octane tune, Steeda MT82 bushing insert, class 1 trailer hitch and wiring for hitch.

This car was the biggest pile of junk I have ever owned and has basically convinced me to never a buy a new Ford product for the rest of my life. Not my problem anymore..

Why did I sell the car, and why did I sell it for way under market value?

I was tired of dealing with all the issues the car has had. The car was paid off and I only saw it as a liability once the warranty was gone. Not that Ford fixed anything major on the car. Once it got to the point that the car would just randomly die and they couldn't fix it, I knew it was time to get rid of it.

The things that I like about the car.

Looks, glass roof and the engine.

Things I didn't like about the car.

Everything else.

Anyways .. here are pictures some pictures of it.

So ... what am I going to get next?

I've thought about getting a lot of things.

2016/17 Camaro 1LE, Charger/Challenger Scat Pack, Polaris Slingshot, Cessna 172/182, Piper Cherokee, 96+ Viper GTS, C5/C6 Z06, Yamaha FZ1 or VMax.

Also thought of just investing the money and playing with that.

If your really considering an fz1 I'll gladly sell mine.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:59 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

wish you luck with your next car man. just did the same thing dumped my very problem some 2012 ,
i'd also jump on a chevy with a ls for power, rock solid motor for a long time
choosing a plane over a car, piper if you can, i have a jabiru j230 a big let down for one due to age had to back down from private, multi, ifr to light sport but at least it still beats sitting in traffic on some highway
captchas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:17 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
What are you gonna do, there are problem cars with every manufacture. It sucks to hear this kind of stuff, especially when you try to take it to the dealer and are pretty much told we can't fix it. And then they walk off and grab a cup of coffee. (And unfortunately, most times they don't). A very good friend of mine bought a new '16 Camaro SS, nice car, hauls . He's been having an electrical issue for the last couple months. Hopefully he won't run into the issues you did. It pisses me off to hear this from any car company. You pay out good money for their junk, and then they turn around and become your biggest enemy.
la pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:39 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

I'd go with Chevy over Dodge based on reliability. I've also had a ton of problems with my Mustang but have had a little better luck. Totally with you on avoiding Ford in the future.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:01 AM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
I'd go with Chevy over Dodge based on reliability.

Said no one ever 😉
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Said no one ever 😉
Consumer Reports pretty steadily puts Dodge at the bottom of the Big Three.

But it's like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic because American makes consistently do poorly compared to the Europeans and Japanese.
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:00 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

But it's like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic because American makes consistently do poorly compared to the Europeans and Japanese.
This.

Sent from the future.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:51 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
While overall I am happy with my car given the price I paid for it if I were to have purchased a GT with the premium package and the price was in the 35-40k range (which I know a lot of people paid) I would have been truly disappointed in how poorly sync operates, cheap plastic interior, random rattles, and would be worried now about the hood issue so many people are having and Ford basically telling them to screw off. In that price range there are so many other options of cars that I would find it hard to pay that much given the quality.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My V6 is rock-solid, but I did buy it with manual and zero options. Less to break and the V6 from what I've been hearing is very reliable. The shifter mount is rubbish, but a blowfish bracket competely fixed it. I'm still on my original brakes at 53K miles. It cost me $19700 and yes, it has quirks and rattles and so on, but it flat-out stomps on any econobox.

$19K for a CIvic or $20K for a Mustang? Half of the car can fall apart at that price and I win. It's been an amazing car to commute in.

Also, about the blowfish bracket: I don't call it NVH - it's a muscle car - it's supposed to make actual mechanical sounds! ( unlike the silly sound pipe they put in the V8s... )

EDIT: The real problem is the $8K surcharge Ford puts on the V8. Consider that the typical GM surcharge for a V8 vs a V6 in a truck is half that. If you price the engine in the V6 as being about 3-4K of the car's price and then add in the 8K surcharge for the V8, in an otherwise identical car, Ford is asking 1/3 the price the entire car ( 11-12K! ) for just that engine.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:03 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Sold my 2014

There is a lot more difference between a base v6 and a base GT. Suspension, transmission, wheels, hood, spoiler, gears and I believe the brakes are different. For a street car the extra power is over kill but on a track it's a different car all together.

And when I was looking at Camaros I couldn't touch a base v8 model for under 35 k so there's no question you can get a base mustang GT for less then a base v8 Camaro.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:03 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

dodge we need to remember is really now fiat. the biggest piece of junk made.
I've had 20 new fords since 1962 and now after 3 real lemons loosing 3 lemon law cases I'm in a bind thinking about what's next
captchas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:28 AM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Sorry to hear man.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:51 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I've never had any problems with my 2013 mustang yet......regarding Camaro's................My wife has a 2010 V-6 6 speed manual Camaro that has been the best car I've ever seen. In six years and 75,000 miles it has never had one thing ever be wrong or go wrong on it. It still has the original battery, and has never so much as burned out a light bulb yet. No squeaks, no rattles, no leaks, nothing. Regarding chrysler products.......it's like drugs....just say NO. I've seen brand new Challengers and Chargers that spend more time at the dealership for warranty work than they spend being driven.
GRREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:17 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I have to agree with you guys. My car almost has 70,000 miles and I haven't had a single problem with it.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 02-24-2016, 05:52 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I bought mine CPO. I've had two issues so far. The first is the all common water in the rear quarter. It was addressed but has happened once since. Also, the top rubbed so a small piece of piping was damaged and they replaced the entire top. I've been treated well by the dealer. The only thing I would like to see is when they provide a loaner it's a courtesy car from them instead of having to deal with enterprise which can take an additional hour. But, it's just nice to get a loaner so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 02-24-2016, 08:32 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
My husband and I both have 2014 GT/CS and have had no problems yet.....fingers crossed.
Both Vert and Coupe 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust, comfort package
GTGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

e
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGirl View Post
My husband and I both have 2014 GT/CS and have had no problems yet.....fingers crossed.
sexiest mustang by far in my opinion.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 02-24-2016, 12:16 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Well I bought my car brand new in 3/2014 and have 38k on it so far. I have had the waterpump replaced, front control arms replaced (twice), brakes cut and then replaced cause they kept shaking, 2 O2 sensors just replaced and the controls on the steering wheel replaced cause they were already wearing thru and now I got a funky idle again. We will see.

I hope the worst is behind me.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:19 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
^ definitely. All that was under warranty right?

Every day is a joyride.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:16 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Damn. I remember seeing you posting about a few issues that car had. Based on the replies it seems like the v6 cars had most of the problems. But I'm sure there are a fair share of v8's.

I thought Ford might have learned their lesson with the 5.4 3V Triton back in late 90's-mid 00's. Apparently not. They turned a lot of people off from Ford with that sh*t. 5 coworkers had 04-05 5.4's and not one of them has bought another Ford since.

I have had good luck with the Fords I've owned. But it's only been older mustangs and trucks. I don't blame you for parting ways with a company that doesn't make things right. I've been contemplating a new mustang but will all the quality issues I'm having second thoughts.

I vote Camaro 1LE. Those new LT1's are torque monsters. That or a C6 Z. still want one of those myself.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:17 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
^ definitely. All that was under warranty right?

Every day is a joyride.
Yeah under warranty but still have to waste my time going to the dealer.

Waterpump was on backorder for 4 days supposedly and they had to rent me a car.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:18 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Here is my rant about my car and Ford.

The issues I had with my car in the 24,800 miles I drove it:

Clutch pedal falling to floor at high RPM: Never fixed.

Incredibly hard to get into gear when cold: Never fixed.

Under extreme braking, loss of brakes and clutch: Never fixed.

Car randomly dying: Never fixed.

Cruise control randomly shutting off or accelerating by itself: Never fixed.

Head unit / Sync glitching out and locking up, requiring battery to be disconnected for a few minutes before radio would work again: Never fixed.

Random loud clunk from rear end: Never fixed.

Car popping out of gear: Never fixed.

Driver/Passenger windows rolling themselves up or down (only happened while car was being driven): Never fixed.

Random loss of acceleration: Never fixed. It was like the throttle never opened even when the pedal was to the floor. After a few seconds it would go. Did this under factory tune and with Steeda tune. Could watch the AFR and it would never change until the car started accelerating.

Hazing of display on radio: Fixed.

ABS / Traction control / Stability control failed: Fixed.

Interior pieces falling off or rattling/squeaking: Somewhat fixed.

So ... there seems to be a common thing here. Most of the issues went unresolved. I have to give the dealers credit, they did everything they could but Ford corporate would not authorize the majority of repairs as they could not pinpoint the exact issue and even came back with something like “We can void your warranty as this vehicle has been driven aggressively beyond it's design parameters." Or, "the way the car was driven could be considered abuse." Simply because I hit the rev limiter in 2nd gear, because the clutch pedal stuck to the floor.

I have had several of the issues since I first bought the car. In the 29 months I owned the car, I would guess that over 4 months of my ownership, the car was sitting at a dealer for repair or diagnostics. So, roughly 15% of the time I owned the car, it was not in my possession.

Ford corporate does not care .. at all.

I know of more people that have been treated this way by Ford than any other auto manufacturer.

Right now, I personally know someone who bought a new, fully loaded Ford Explorer ($58,000, never knew they could get that expensive). The vehicle has less than 7,000 miles on it and has left him and his family stranded (engine just dies) more than a dozen times. Each time, the vehicle has to be towed to a Ford dealer, they run diagnostics and can't find any issues, then randomly, the vehicle fires up and runs like nothing happened, until it happens again. No parts have been replaced, the issue has happened at the dealer, nothing has been done.

He asked the dealer to simply replace the vehicle, much like I did with my Mustang, Ford of course declined. The dealerships don't want to lose their @$$ so they just point the finger at Ford corporate and the customer ends up being dragged through the dirt and ends up selling the vehicle at a loss to just get rid of it.

This same thing has happened with a few people I used to run around with that bought 2011 - 2014 5.0's. I personally know two people who had engine failures from the #8 cylinder issue with their stock coyotes and Ford basically said, not our fault, you will have to buy a new engine. I also know another guy who bought a Boss 302. Car had less than 5,000 miles and the MT82 completely died. Again, Ford corporate did nothing. The dealer sold him the transmission supposedly at their cost and comped him the labor time.

I'm not even going to go into how many people I know have had the spark plugs blown out of their 4.6's and 5.4's and Ford simply refusing to do anything about it.

Lemon laws very by state and in Indiana, it's nearly impossible to have a car qualify for that.

Anyways, GM and Chrysler actually seem to care about keeping their customers happy. Ford just takes your money and tells you to get F'd.

As an example, one of my friends bought a GMC Duramax last year and the engine failed within 12,000 miles. The dealership looked into it and found it to not be his fault and offered to replace the engine or contact GM and see if they would authorize just giving him a new truck. He of course asked for a new truck. Within a few weeks, GM authorized a new truck that was nearly fully loaded (his was nearly a base model), also gave him an extended warranty and gave him GM employee pricing on his next GM vehicle. He literally spent maybe two hours of his time to get this accomplished.

Another example, my ex-gf's grandfather bought a new (2009 - 2010) Jeep Grand Cherokee. Owned it for only a few months, the timing chain broke and ruined the engine (4.7L). They replaced the engine under warranty, then it started having electrical issues once he got it back. Chrysler authorized a replacement Jeep at no cost to him. Again, this Jeep he received was nearly fully loaded and came with a Hemi.

Another thing, I live in farm country. Nearly all of the farmers around here drive GM or Dodge trucks. Maybe 1 in 20 will drive a Ford. If you ask them, they will say that Ford makes a nice truck but they are junk and any issues with it and you are F'd.

The way Ford corporate treats their customers and dealers is why I will never buy another new Ford product.

Honestly, I enjoyed my Mustang. If it had been as trouble free as what most peoples have been, I would have kept it. Sadly, that wasn't the case.

As far as whats next for me..

I have taken most of the money and invested it and used the rest to pay off a few things.

My main goal right now is to finish the builds on all the cars that I currently own, then try to buy a plane, assuming I can get a hangar to store it in.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:35 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
At least you got the radio display fixed. 😁

Sent from the future.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:11 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
That sux

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf stang View Post
Well I bought my car brand new in 3/2014 and have 38k on it so far. I have had the waterpump replaced, front control arms replaced (twice), brakes cut and then replaced cause they kept shaking, 2 O2 sensors just replaced and the controls on the steering wheel replaced cause they were already wearing thru and now I got a funky idle again. We will see.

I hope the worst is behind me.
Ugh, that stinks. Especially having to run back and forth to the dealer. Better luck from here on.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:43 AM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Damn... stories like this make me continue to want to buy used/buy cash or pick up a vehicle from a friend/family member that I know had zero issues... or lease...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:54 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
That blows. I've owned my car for a year and a half, bought brand new and have 21,500 mile on my car and not one single issue.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:27 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I guess I just have a beast car from the factory. Only issue I have is that it's a little harder to shift when cold but that's only when it's 30 and below and even then I just have to put a little bit more muscle into my shifts nothing major. My car has only been to dealership once and that's when I crashed the car doing stupid teenager stuff. But I'm glad I got lucky with my car.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 02-25-2016, 08:11 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris44117 View Post
I guess I just have a beast car from the factory. Only issue I have is that it's a little harder to shift when cold but that's only when it's 30 and below and even then I just have to put a little bit more muscle into my shifts nothing major.
That's how mine started and eventually got to the point where I could not get the car into gear unless I either started it in gear or waited about 10 - 20 minutes for things to warm up enough to get it into gear. Otherwise, it would just grind.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang