Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Bought new tires and I think I regret getting them.

7K views 40 replies 17 participants last post by  MustangDawg 
#1 ·
So I had some new rubber from tirerack installed today to replace the Pirelli P6 Four Seasons the previous owner installed. Continental ExtremeContact DWS06, 275/35/19 all around. I bought them based on the stellar reviews that they're getting on tirerack as performance all season tires. Well, they ride great, very smooth, very quiet, the new size is perfect for the 19x9.5 SVE Drifts, and based on treadwear rating they could last 50k miles, but here's the big complaint I have.

WEAK SIDEWALL!!

When I drive down the bypass at 70mph, and lightly jerk the steering wheel to the left or right, the response is extremely delayed, it takes half a second for my car to actually start turning. $1100 for new tires that makes my car feel like a boat, not happy about this.

#2 ·
How long have you had them? What Pressure they at?
My Continental ExtremeContact DW 275/40R 19's took about 500 miles to break in. I am also running 38 pounds in the front and 36 pounds in the rear. Until they broke in they handled like crap and I have had almost 1.20 peaks on the built in G meter. They will get better.

#3 ·
Only have around 40 miles on them as of today. I haven't checked the pressure but I expect the "good" shop that mounted/balanced them have put them at 35psi. The TPMS sensors will give a warning if any of them get below 30.

If they improve a bit after initial wear in, that's great. My other dilemma at the moment is finding a shop that can get my car onto an alignment rack, it's too low for the one I went to. I had to go back home for my low profile jack for them to just change the tires lol.

#4 ·
I almost pulled the trigger on those exact tires but decided to go with winter tires and summer tires, since you tend to have to settle for worst of both worlds when you go all-season.

That said, when I got my winter tread on I had the exact same reaction as you... hit the interstate and went to pass someone and I about crapped myself. Literally felt like a boat. BUT... 3 months later and they aren't half as bad and frankly I barely notice it anymore.

I think the other poster is correct and you should give your tires a month to break in, chances are you will feel happy with your purchase. The good news is you should be glued to the road with those puppies!

Keep us posted.

#41 ·
I got a set of these just after Thanksgiving and have turned out to be the best tire I think I've owned. They beat the hell out of the Pzero Neros that came with my car by far. The Tire Rack reviews were off the scale. Great tire for the Mustang:thumb:

#7 ·
new tires

I had continental tires on my and the wife's cars. wait after about 10,000 miles they look ready for a new set! They suck! The worst tires I've ever owned. They are extremely noisy rough handling to say the least. I tell ever one I meet that are looking for tires,any thing but continental!! ABC

#9 ·
Damn, I guess I had better replace mine, they have 15,000 miles on them, wear is straight across, no noise, rotated every 5000 miles with proper air pressure. Now the Nitto's on my wife's Explorer are noisy than crap and act like they are out of balance.

#10 ·
I have the Continued ExtremeContact DW summer tire. They are "OK"...better grip than the factory Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires but mediocre steering feedback. They also wear out pretty fast.

#15 ·
Take them back

If you bought them at Discount Tire they have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

I would expect most tire dealers would have the same and be willing to work with you to get another brand you will like.

Michelins have always been an excellent tire for me in every respect, handling, wear, noise, etc.

#16 ·
I could not get B.F.'s so I saw Bridgestone RE 760's on sale, I am happy so far. B.F. Goodrich on back-order?

#20 ·
I'd like to know this too as I'm considering them for my next set of tires but am worried about the tread wear rating.

#22 · (Edited)
How many miles do you guys put on your car annually? As much as I drive mine and my choice in tire sizing, strictly all seasons with around a 500 tread wear rating. Not spending a grand on summer tires every 12 months.

#27 ·
I have 255/40/19 continental conti-pros and freaking love them.

But to each their own. All depends on what you're looking for.

Myself, I'm looking for a comfortable ride, quiet, with good grip. That's what I've gotten.

IG: the_notorious_vig_

#28 ·
My original Pirelli all season 18 inch were replaced at 19,000 miles, bald. Yet i read where people are getting 40,000 miles or more with them. I see the Cooper RS3-A's i have now won't be doing much better :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.