Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Switch to 5.0

4K views 66 replies 29 participants last post by  FastFord19 
#1 ·
How many of you would switch to a 11-12 5.0 if it was near the price that you could sell your v6 for?

2013 mustang v6 premium

#5 · (Edited)
I have that thought every once in a while, but I love how my '13 is optioned and modded, so much that I'd rather just supercharge it if I want an extra 200hp. If it was paid off and I had the money, then yeah maybe I'd find a GHIG GT that's loaded like mine.

I plan on keeping this car for a while.

#6 ·
I would stick with the v6 given the amount of driving I do. I normally average 26-28 in my v6 and would probable drop to around 20- 24 with a GT and have to use premium. Although if I did decide to step up to a v8 I would get a C5 corvette.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#13 ·
I would stick with the v6 given the amount of driving I do. I normally average 26-28 in my v6 and would probable drop to around 20- 24 with a GT and have to use premium. Although if I did decide to step up to a v8 I would get a C5 Z06 or a C6.

Fixed that for ya :thumb:

#8 ·
nope. hate the rear lights on those, and i'm not spending 300+ a pop to pop in 13/14 lights, plus the what, $70 piece of plastic AM sells to adapt on?

nah. if i go GT, i'm going with new gen

#11 ·
If money was never an object, then of course a switch to a 5.0 would be nice. But what I get from a convertible, premium '14 V6 + mods is nice.

#12 ·
No, I wouldn't.

I'd rather drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. The speed limit makes my V6 too powerful to manage already :)

Plus, I enjoy working on my Mustang. V6 gives me a lot more room in the engine bay.

#18 ·
I'm probably the only person that would still take the v6. For the simple reason that, if funds weren't a problem I would love to see the look on a GT owners face when I beat them in my slow sixxer. And then they would probably say, "it's still a v6 though." That quote cracks me up every time. But a high hp GT is a dime a dozen but a high hp v6 is much more rare.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1

#16 · (Edited)
If this were asked in the GT section, I'd assume nearly everyone would say the 5.0. In my opinion, if someone is asking themselves this question, they already know what they TRULY want.

#17 ·
This almost goes back to the question of do you buy a nice new car or a nicer (more expensive) used car. I would imagine that most paid between 19-30 for their 13-14 v6 cars at that time base 11-12 gts could be bought for within that price range so this isn't a new thing.

#19 ·
No, I would keep the V6. When I bought my 13 there was a SGM 12 GT Premium sitting on the lot that was within $250 of what I paid for the 13, and. For me going up and playing on The Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway the V6 is a better balanced car and it will out do a lot of cars that would beat it in the quarter mile.
They put steering wheels in cars for a reason, to turn, and they left room for a 275 width tire in front so it turns real good also.

#20 ·
I would definitely keep my car. With the 3.7 I believe the v6 is now viewed as a performance car, unlike v6 mustangs of the past. As far as the balance goes, I've read comparisons saying the v6 has less weight up front then the GT making it a better handler. Personally, I will encounter many more twisty roads then drag strips so I'm more then happy with my mustang.

Just curious, anyone know exactly how much more the v8 engine weighs then the v6?

#22 ·
On a quick search. A 2015 GT weighs 3,705lbs. A 2015 V6 weighs 3,526lbs. The V6 weighs 179lbs less, the 'difference' should be about the same for our 2011-2014 Mustangs. :)

#23 ·
Having driven both (good rides too) and knowing the real world MPG difference I'll say the V8 is a way better car for me. I enjoy the twisties and admit that on paper the V6 is better balanced, however the amount of torque available in the V8 made me giggle both times I drove it.

Gum, is this something you are considering or just hypothetical? If it's real the important bit is you need to know what condition the other car is in and what kind of life it's had.

For me (and this is opinion/preference only) I shake my head when folks pick a highly optioned V6 over a base V8 but know they did what they wanted.

#30 ·
If you have never driven the V8 go to your local dealer and try one that will tell you if you are interested in one.

DO NOT attempt this is you do not want to spend $ as somethings are better not knowing. One of the biggest differences I noted when driving the V8 is you'll be zipping along (friend and I switched my V6 to his V8) having fun and you go to accelerate and all of a sudden you realize that you are in 5th gear not 3rd and the V8 will still pull strongly in 5th like the 6 does in 3rd.

#31 ·
haha damn. yeah exactly why I've never drive a 5.0 and don't want to lol

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

#34 · (Edited)
I test drove a brand new 5.0 after having my 3.7 and I'm still happy with what I have. Here's the thing that I noticed. The difference in power by the feel of it is not as dramatic as say comparing a 94 Camaro 3.4 v6 vs the same car with an LT1. I know this cuz that Camaro v6 was my first car for a few years, then I got a quick chance to drive a 95 Z28. My booty tightened up that first WOT run down the street from scaring me a little bit!

Of course the average v6 back then were real turds, but they've come a long long ways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.