Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Engine swap?

1K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  scottydsntknow 
#1 ·
I haven't seen a post on here yet about an engine swap.... But I'm wondering is it possible to swap the 3.7 engine for a 5.0? What does it take to do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#2 ·
Its possible. You'll pretty much need a donor car or an exact parts list. Also more money than it would take to just sell yours and buy a GT.

#3 ·
Really? Because I found brand new engines for up to 7k I just need to find a good mechanic but I know I'll need up to a few k more. There charging me crazy money to trade my stand in and get a gt plus I put to much on this on appearance wise.

#13 ·
That's why I decided to just keep the v6. My dealership and surrounding ones aren't giving me anything close to what I paid for it. In my case it's cheaper to swap a 5.0 in or do a full engine build.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1

#5 ·
Its been covered several times before actually. Off the top of my head:

New engine: $7-8k
FRPP Coyote control pack: $1500 - This is used to swap the coyote into older chassis, may or may not need it, but you will for sure need a 5.0 specific ECU.
The 3.7 transmission has a different bell housing as Mr. Alrefire has identified for us, so you'll need a 5.0 specific transmission and driveshaft as well.
All new exhaust, so thats another like $1500-2000 assuming you dont find someones stock stuff laying around.

Thats just to get the engine in the car more or less, then theres the fact of supporting mods you really should have, like better brakes for the new power, suspension for the weight and power, gearing, because a 2.73 assuming you're still on it wont cut it. You're going to pay what a 5.0 costs new to turn your v6 into a 5.0 pretty much.

#6 ·
I have the mobile app I couldn't find it, but thanks! Now that you put it that way your right. I got the car because it was my first and I could afford it at the time. I put all these mods like the hood, headers, and more. I really don't know if getting the newer GT would be worth the trade for what I worked on already. What do you think? I'm kind of considering it, but it's been a lot of mods lol.

#7 ·
Put your car back to stock. Sell your mods. Trade in.

#10 ·
We traded my fiance's auto v6 on a standard when we really started getting serious about road course driving. I asked the dealership if we could take the auto back home for the night and swap our rims, mufflers, suspension, etc onto the new car and then bring them a stock car back, and they were ok with the deal. Find a GT in the same color, swap hoods, other things, etc? Never hurts to just ask and see what they say.

#14 ·
It's clear a lot of people here are on there first car. Especially with a new car your never going to get what you have into it when you sell it and mods do not add value. The minute you drive off the lot you probable lose 15-20 percent.

If you bought a v6 when you really wanted a 5.0 just cut your loses and get what you want. Makes more sense then continuing to dump money into the v6 and eventually you will sell for the 5.0. And right now for how new these cars are it would never make sense to swap unless your getting the swap parts for free. Also have to consider it will not pass emissions.

#16 ·
If i were going to change the engine in my Mustang 3.7, it sure wouldn't be to a 5.0. I would get a 427 or some other 'crate' engine. Just what i would do :)

#17 ·
You might as well buy a LT1 Camaro or Challenger with the SRT engine then. At least for the money/time/effort you'd have into it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.