Engine swap? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-22-2016, 07:40 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Engine swap?

I haven't seen a post on here yet about an engine swap.... But I'm wondering is it possible to swap the 3.7 engine for a 5.0? What does it take to do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
luisagordo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2016, 07:49 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Its possible. You'll pretty much need a donor car or an exact parts list. Also more money than it would take to just sell yours and buy a GT.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:47 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Really? Because I found brand new engines for up to 7k I just need to find a good mechanic but I know I'll need up to a few k more. There charging me crazy money to trade my stand in and get a gt plus I put to much on this on appearance wise.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2016, 09:33 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Do a 3.5 ecoboost swap, Ford has a controller out for it.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:34 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Its been covered several times before actually. Off the top of my head:

New engine: $7-8k
FRPP Coyote control pack: $1500 - This is used to swap the coyote into older chassis, may or may not need it, but you will for sure need a 5.0 specific ECU.
The 3.7 transmission has a different bell housing as Mr. Alrefire has identified for us, so you'll need a 5.0 specific transmission and driveshaft as well.
All new exhaust, so thats another like $1500-2000 assuming you dont find someones stock stuff laying around.

Thats just to get the engine in the car more or less, then theres the fact of supporting mods you really should have, like better brakes for the new power, suspension for the weight and power, gearing, because a 2.73 assuming you're still on it wont cut it. You're going to pay what a 5.0 costs new to turn your v6 into a 5.0 pretty much.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:39 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I have the mobile app I couldn't find it, but thanks! Now that you put it that way your right. I got the car because it was my first and I could afford it at the time. I put all these mods like the hood, headers, and more. I really don't know if getting the newer GT would be worth the trade for what I worked on already. What do you think? I'm kind of considering it, but it's been a lot of mods lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Its been covered several times before actually. Off the top of my head:

New engine: $7-8k
FRPP Coyote control pack: $1500 - This is used to swap the coyote into older chassis, may or may not need it, but you will for sure need a 5.0 specific ECU.
The 3.7 transmission has a different bell housing as Mr. Alrefire has identified for us, so you'll need a 5.0 specific transmission and driveshaft as well.
All new exhaust, so thats another like $1500-2000 assuming you dont find someones stock stuff laying around.

Thats just to get the engine in the car more or less, then theres the fact of supporting mods you really should have, like better brakes for the new power, suspension for the weight and power, gearing, because a 2.73 assuming you're still on it wont cut it. You're going to pay what a 5.0 costs new to turn your v6 into a 5.0 pretty much.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:43 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Put your car back to stock. Sell your mods. Trade in.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:45 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Put your car back to stock. Sell your mods. Trade in.

Yea my only problem is that I sold my hood... Everything else should be good to go though your right.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:30 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
That's why I stopped modding!! Put simple reversible mods on 3.73 gear and a tune.....till I decide to keep it.

sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:42 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
We traded my fiance's auto v6 on a standard when we really started getting serious about road course driving. I asked the dealership if we could take the auto back home for the night and swap our rims, mufflers, suspension, etc onto the new car and then bring them a stock car back, and they were ok with the deal. Find a GT in the same color, swap hoods, other things, etc? Never hurts to just ask and see what they say.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:38 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Or you sell your hood to a guy with the same color car and swap plus cash.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Have you thought about selling the v6? That way you'll get much closer to retail than the dealership will give you in trade.
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:41 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisagordo31 View Post
Really? Because I found brand new engines for up to 7k I just need to find a good mechanic but I know I'll need up to a few k more. There charging me crazy money to trade my stand in and get a gt plus I put to much on this on appearance wise.

That's why I decided to just keep the v6. My dealership and surrounding ones aren't giving me anything close to what I paid for it. In my case it's cheaper to swap a 5.0 in or do a full engine build.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:04 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
It's clear a lot of people here are on there first car. Especially with a new car your never going to get what you have into it when you sell it and mods do not add value. The minute you drive off the lot you probable lose 15-20 percent.

If you bought a v6 when you really wanted a 5.0 just cut your loses and get what you want. Makes more sense then continuing to dump money into the v6 and eventually you will sell for the 5.0. And right now for how new these cars are it would never make sense to swap unless your getting the swap parts for free. Also have to consider it will not pass emissions.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisagordo31 View Post

If you have modded your V6 at all, you will get screwed even harder than normal if you trade it in. Best move would be to sell it privately. You get someone that knows the value of a custom Stang and you will likely get at least $4k more than a dealer would offer.

Once you got the cash, then you can try to find a 5.0 you like at a couple dealers and make them compete for the sale. Car salesmen can eat a bowl of Richards.

The problem with the engine swap is so many parts other than the engine that may not be able to handle the new power, you'd be MUCH wiser to just buy a 5.0
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:23 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
If i were going to change the engine in my Mustang 3.7, it sure wouldn't be to a 5.0. I would get a 427 or some other 'crate' engine. Just what i would do
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:32 AM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
If i were going to change the engine in my Mustang 3.7, it sure wouldn't be to a 5.0. I would get a 427 or some other 'crate' engine. Just what i would do
You might as well buy a LT1 Camaro or Challenger with the SRT engine then. At least for the money/time/effort you'd have into it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang