2012 V6 sputtering after filling gas tank - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-22-2016, 04:46 PM   #1

Region: Florida
Unhappy 2012 V6 sputtering after filling gas tank

Hey all! The last couple of times I filled up my tank, from 15ish miles until empty to full, it will sputter and almost stall when I start it back up. Once it does that, it never does it again, until I fill up again. At first I thought it might be the gas, but today my check engine light came on. After getting it checked they said both of my O2 sensors aren't functioning right, but I don't feel like that would cause the sputtering problem and it might be something more. I've read a few things about filling up past the first click causing a problem with the charcoal canister, but I'm not sure if that would cause this. I'll be the first to admit I have filled past that, but never more than some change (however after reading up, I'll never do it again). I also read that the purge valve could cause this problem, but would that cause my O2 sensors to code as not functioning? If anyone has dealt with this or has any advise, it would be greatly appreciated!
Chloeee321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2016, 05:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Over filling your tank will cause an anomaly until it burns off the over fill. I don't know about your O2 sensors. Might be something else.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:37 PM   #3

Yeah, I also felt like that couldn't be what was causing the startup problem and wasn't sure if maybe it could be coding wrong from another issue. I'll probably replace the O2s and wait a little bit to see if it was an over fill problem. I never felt like I over filled too much, and it definitely never spilled out, but hopefully that's it. I'd just rather not buy a bunch of parts to find out none of them are the problem, but I know sometimes you have to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2016, 06:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Test to see if it is the purge valve before buying o2 sensors. I had to replace the one on my Dad's Explorer and they're "known to fail often," and the same unit is used on the mustangs.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Test to see if it is the purge valve before buying o2 sensors. I had to replace the one on my Dad's Explorer and they're "known to fail often," and the same unit is used on the mustangs.
I feel like it could be too, but seems weird that my check engine is saying O2 instead. What is the best way in your opinion to test it? I've seen so many different ways online.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The same thing happened to me last fill up but no check engine light. Curious too what it could have been.
2012 Mustang V6 Base Automatic: Window Tint, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Koni Yellows, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, BMR LCAs with brackets, BMR Panhard Bar with brace, GT500 strut mounts, Airaid M.I.T., 3.73 Gears, Borla S-Types, MPT Street Tune 93, Michelin PS A/S3+, TSW wheels
fallenx89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenx89 View Post
The same thing happened to me last fill up but no check engine light. Curious too what it could have been.
It's possible the check engine light could be completely unrelated and my O2s really need replacing. Just seemed strange, so I'm going to check the purge valve and go from there. Seems that it usually causes this problem, because it's only on the first start up after getting gas. Might end up having to replace both, but purge valve is a good start.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:39 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I probably wouldn't run the tank down that far either. 15 miles until empty doesn't leave much fuel in the tank. Not really good for the fuel pump, etc. When your driving around your fuel is sloshing all over the place. You don't want to suck in air, pick up any sediment, and the fuel surrounding the pump helps to keep it cool.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:34 AM   #9
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I have heard of the sputtering on the V6's on another forum and never saw a real answer...but as you now know once the pump shuts off do not add anymore.
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:33 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
I probably wouldn't run the tank down that far either. 15 miles until empty doesn't leave much fuel in the tank. Not really good for the fuel pump, etc. When your driving around your fuel is sloshing all over the place. You don't want to suck in air, pick up any sediment, and the fuel surrounding the pump helps to keep it cool.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
that is a long known hard fact. esp.in dealerships, running below the 1/4 mark takes away gas from around the pump that helps cool it and lengthen it's life.
as to the o2 sensors, they can and do fail often I've seen them go forever or only last 20k.
captchas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:05 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I always thought it was because the CPU is adjusting the A/F Ratio but could be wrong.

2012 101a Mustang V6 M/T 6-Speed
3.7Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:29 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I was wondering the same thing. I had 50 miles to E last night, so I filled up and then went home, about 4 miles from my house. I was sitting in my car for about 5 minutes and the RPM's kept going up and down,and I thought the car was going to stall at one point. This morning when I got in my car and started it up, I let it sit to see if it would happen again. It didn't and I am also wondering why.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
etr3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:44 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

For me it was quite noticeable when I was using 87 octane. Mild rough idle but after about 2-3 minutes it was gone. So that's why I say its the CPU adjusting the Air to Fuel Ratio.

Now when I switched to 93 octane it is almost non existent but me being an OCD I swear I can still feel it. Again though after 2-3 minutes its gone.

I am going to try and not to top the tank off and just fill it up every time with $20 which is about 8-9 gallons for 93 and see if its the "overfilling" issue.

2012 101a Mustang V6 M/T 6-Speed
3.7Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:49 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7Muscle View Post
For me it was quite noticeable when I was using 87 octane. Mild rough idle but after about 2-3 minutes it was gone. So that's why I say its the CPU adjusting the Air to Fuel Ratio.

Now when I switched to 93 octane it is almost non existent but me being an OCD I swear I can still feel it. Again though after 2-3 minutes its gone.

I am going to try and not to top the tank off and just fill it up every time with $20 which is about 8-9 gallons for 93 and see if its the "overfilling" issue.

Yea I use 93 and fill it up. It doesn't last long,but it is noticeable and annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
etr3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:51 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
So filling it up past the first click causes problems? I have never heard that before. Is it on all cars or just Fords or just Mustangs? Very good to know.

Also, it seems I have read about the rev drops during idle on a few different threads... I've never had a car do that and if it starts happening on my Mustang I'm going to be royally pissed.

OP, what year is yours?
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkstang View Post
So filling it up past the first click causes problems? I have never heard that before. Is it on all cars or just Fords or just Mustangs? Very good to know.

Also, it seems I have read about the rev drops during idle on a few different threads... I've never had a car do that and if it starts happening on my Mustang I'm going to be royally pissed.

OP, what year is yours?
You can damage any late model car's evap system by overfilling the gas tank. what you are doing when you overfill the tank is sending raw gasoline into the carbon canister via the vent hose for the evap system
GRREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:48 PM   #17

Quote:

OP, what year is yours?
Those are my exact thoughts! I didn't want to run into problems buying a mustang, I know all cars have problems, but not this soon. However, it seems it could be my fault, so if that's the case can't blame the car for an uneducated owner! Mines a 2012.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7Muscle View Post

I use 87 octane as well, but it just now started after always using that. It's also only the first few seconds when I start the car after filling up. It acts as if it doesn't want to start/is going to stall, but then it starts to idle fine. After that first time I can turn the car off and on immediately and it won't happen again. It's just right after getting gas, so I don't think it's the gas in this case.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:57 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloeee321 View Post
Those are my exact thoughts! I didn't want to run into problems buying a mustang, I know all cars have problems, but not this soon. However, it seems it could be my fault, so if that's the case can't blame the car for an uneducated owner! Mines a 2012.
How can it be your fault? Thats the first I have EVER heard that a d if it's true they need to be putting warning lables on our gas caps!!

Thats crazy.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:00 PM   #20

Well I'll definitely be filling up my tank more frequently and stop after the first click. I knew they were things that were talked about, but I never educated myself on how much of a problem it actually causes.
I just filled up again at 50 miles to empty and took a video of starting it, sorry it's difficult to hear over the dinging/keys. Wasn't nearly as bad as the last two times, the Idle never went too low. Heres to hoping stopping the pump when it clicked helped! Still going to check my purge valve and probably charcoal canister. Also, my check engine light turned off today while driving. Still lost on that one. Thanks for all the helpful comments!
Attached Files
Old 02-23-2016, 05:06 PM   #21

Quote:
How can it be your fault? Thats the first I have EVER heard that a d if it's true they need to be putting warning lables on our gas caps!!

Thats crazy.
I have heard it a few times, but I just disregarded thinking it was a myth. Guess I'll research more before writing things off.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:29 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Dammit man, the vid isnt working either... Maybe youre cursed lol
Old 02-23-2016, 05:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Dammit man, the vid isnt working either... Maybe youre cursed lol
Haha!! I posted it from my phone, probably why.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:59 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I don't know. I was watching your tach and it was steady as a rock. No indication of sputtering or fluctuation in idle RPM.
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robostang View Post
I don't know. I was watching your tach and it was steady as a rock. No indication of sputtering or fluctuation in idle RPM.
I know! It wasn't bad this time, the only off part was a slight sputter in the beginning when the tac was still resetting. The past couple of times that I originally referred to it would sputter really bad and the tach would go to almost 0 and act as if it was going to stall, then come back up and fluctuate between almost 0 and 1 for a few seconds.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:37 AM   #26

Region: Canada
My 2013 V6 does the same. After I fill up and I'm at a red light it sputters like it's going to stall. It goes on like that for maybe 10 min till after driving. It has been doing it for a couple of years now.
dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:43 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowdle View Post
My 2013 V6 does the same. After I fill up and I'm at a red light it sputters like it's going to stall. It goes on like that for maybe 10 min till after driving. It has been doing it for a couple of years now.
I've been around the block enough to know that this is NOT normal and I personally would not be shrugging it off so easily. If this starts happening to my Stang I will be taking it in asap. But then again I have OCD when it comes to cars and I always fear the snowball effect, so I try to get weird issues resolved before they become bigger ones.

My advice, see if you can get a Ford tech to hop in with you and go fill your tank. Have them see the issue first hand and try to get some solid answers. You may have a bad part that needs replaced.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:57 AM   #28

Quote:
I've been around the block enough to know that this is NOT normal and I personally would not be shrugging it off so easily. If this starts happening to my Stang I will be taking it in asap. But then again I have OCD when it comes to cars and I always fear the snowball effect, so I try to get weird issues resolved before they become bigger ones.

My advice, see if you can get a Ford tech to hop in with you and go fill your tank. Have them see the issue first hand and try to get some solid answers. You may have a bad part that needs replaced.
The snowball effect is exactly what my fear is. At first I thought it might be the gas, but now that I know it isn't I want to try to pinpoint what it is and fix it. I don't need other parts going bad and having to fix those as well. Still trying to figure out the best way to check the purge valve because the tutorials I've found are all completely different.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:38 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Have you cleaned our your MAFS lately?
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:44 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
I have not! I take it that's a common cause?
Old 02-24-2016, 06:52 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Isn't their only 1 maf? And I dont think that would only cause it close to full or empty. You shouldnt have to worry about a dirty maf unless you drive through clouds of dirty daily.

Sounds like more of a fuel system issue?
Old 02-24-2016, 07:07 PM   #32

Quote:
Isn't their only 1 maf? And I dont think that would only cause it close to full or empty. You shouldnt have to worry about a dirty maf unless you drive through clouds of dirty daily.

Yeah I definitely don't drive through much dust. Possibly the fuel system, I'm leaning towards the EVAP system right now because I can just feel that it's driving off. Not responding to acceleration as quickly or sputters for a second, etc. Plus the check engine had said my o2 sensors were malfunctioning, but that's turned off now. So we'll see what I can figure out this weekend.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:15 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Keep us posted and good luck!
Old 02-24-2016, 08:23 PM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:

Sorry...didn't mean to have the extra "S" on there. Yeah, it's low likelihood to be the cause, but super easy to clean to rule it out.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:53 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sorry...didn't mean to have the extra "S" on there. Yeah, it's low likelihood to be the cause, but super easy to clean to rule it out.
It is easy to clean but MAFs are very sensitive and it's not worth messing with unless you have a string feeling it's the culprit, IMO.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
2012 v6