Review: 12345.6 miles later - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-26-2016, 07:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Thumbs up Review: 12345.6 miles later

Sooo since this happened I figured a good excuse to do a review so far.

As a small little side note:

NO MAJOR RECALLS IN FINAL 2014 PRODUCTION!
More on this in this thread -- Recall

=p Nothing broke so far so that old adage is out of the door, the car is still solid and nothing has fallen off or whatever you may think heh. The only small thing that did become loose in the first month was the plastic trim on the inside of the base model door handle but living in Miami, FL, that's to be expected with the ridiculous heat.

The Beginning:

(More or less, same car but the only shot I had of it was corrupted when I got it so I got this pic from a similar model I was looking at the day I bought the car at the same dealership, only difference is silver stock rims and black plastic mirror covers.)

Anyways so the story is Ive had the car since July 2014 when I decided to get a new v6 vs an older 2007 GT. Did I make the right choice? Still too early to tell and as my first mustang with a decent amount of mods, I think I did. My whole idea behind getting a new v6 base was really what I could afford at the time payment wise and if I was going to get financed for even a used car. (Link to first thread on ME letting you guys help me decide: Trying to decide, need help ) I will say I still like the interior but I miss that v8 sound...especially the potential on the years before us to install actual big comp cams versus getting a ghost cam tune, but 305hp to the crank right of the gate, realistically ~265 rwhp is still nothing to scoff at coming from the v6. I wish I had done my homework on what options to buy before I gave in and signed the paperwork, but eventually I settled with a 2014 Mustang Manual Transmission in Sterling grey (not my color choice, the only manual they had on the lot new) with the Base Package, 2.73, no Bluetooth/sync/ etc.....the cheapest new mustang I could buy...at 22.5k financed with Ford Credit at 11.35% interest @ 72 months // $700 down // fair credit ~620 FICO at the time, FTE 3yr history: $23,200 final invoice on 07/21/2014.

And now coming closer to almost 2 years and 12345.6 miles later, I can honestly say that I am damn happy to have the car

Minor Mods

So being my first new car and the whole "Warranty" and "Ford" and "Pick 2 but forgo the 3rd - cheap, reliable, fast" quotes running through my head for the first few months, I didnt want to do anything to the car...but then I opened the engine bay and took a closer look when I was home and not in front of a salesman..its 2014..this car is mass produced like a McDonalds cheeseburger; every build is machine checked and Quality Assurance checked throughout...

But then I though about the client in question...F O R D

Client Rep: God forbid they find the drive-shaft weakness on our rental promotion if the nuts hits 130~ MPH!!

Ford: No it's okay, we set the governor on the cyclones via Ford Service a factory limiter so they can't stress the drive train enough to promote a failure on the proposed rentals on our agreed "affordable mustang lineup vehicles...any Cyclone equipped mustang that exceeds 120 MPH voids the ford warranty on the whole vehicle" blah blah blah...just a legal window where ford is in the right and you are..(depending on your attorney retainer) in the grey area.

(Sorry, law student, had to throw it in)

.....So I decided I can trust this thing...(lol) Right out of the gate around 1k miles, I did some small appearance mods like the interior dome bulbs, rear license plate bulbs (which suck from AM, don't get them, had 2 new sets burn out; Raxiom sucks, but AM customer support is good), matching sterling grey mirror covers, and a hood pin kit. It was my first manual car and I was still getting used to the idea of shifting in a car, although I had plenty of experience driving a motorcycle (Suzuki GS500E), the learning curve on the v6 mustang is not that bad if you get the fundamentals down early in the game..

After lurking the ME forums for a while and selecting parts and budgets, it was time to start really squeezing some power out of an already fun car.

Major Mods

The first major mods I did to the car were an SCT x4 tuner purchased from MPT at around 7k miles (link to first experience and review -- First mod done, SCT X4 flash) and the Steeda CAI from American Muscle. I didn't want to go with the regular non-tune related CAI's and chose the biggest one available because...merica haha. The installation of both at the same time was the first experience I had of really working on a car and I will say it is so satisfying and sweet to actually "work" on a car; changing stuff -- no "normal" everyday person would do and see and feel results. The tune combined with the Steeda CAI really made the car feel mean, and what was meant by Ford to be the next level rental with fun, became menacing with that suction sound and increased response with the tune...Needless to say I was hooked =p

From 2.73 to 3.73

After a few months I learned that Steeda was actually only an hour drive away from me in Pompano Beach FL and decided to give them a call on a whim to see how much they would charge to do a gear swap from 2.73 to 3.73. Surprisingly, it wasn't the nightmare that other people said about final costs being north of $1000 for it all said and done. I got quoted about $600 and with the addition of the rear differential housing I got a discount off of, came out to $700 ish. Without a doubt.. BEST MONEY EVER SPENT. I wrote a very in depth article here on ME linked below about my experience and FAQ other users might have if they are considering going this route.

2.73 to 3.73 Gear Swap @ Steeda, FL - Review and FAQ

Dig from 0-45 ish with 3.73's

From Stock AB, to Roush AB

After the gear install I felt it was finally time to get the exhaust done as I really wanted to sound like the used 2007 GT I drove and started looking at options. At the end of the day, I went with the Roush AB mainly because I loved the raw sound. I don't really care about being quiet and was looking to mod this first mustang of mine out to be a beast..but keep the mod money in performance and suspension first, then cosmetics.

After swapping the stock mufflers for the Roush the first startup was a MASSIVE difference in the whole way you connect to your car, hands down. Even with gears and stock mufflers, you feel like something is missing on a stock exhaust.. it was the finishing touch really and gave confidence that, "Yeah, so what its a v6... but this one is mean and fast as all hell".. Even going so far to giving enough confidence to line up next to new 5.0's ....which you know by numbers are faster...but its that confidence and sound of power which tied it all together.

Roush AB shot on iPhone 6

Pro-tip: Each back-fire pop is a +2 to horsepower lolrofl

After the Roush AB I did my first major appearance mod with the Roush upper grille and, having never taken a bumper off and work on body parts, would have to say it was pretty intricate...but even that little mod that gets rid of the pony in the front is just a little something that makes me smile that I'm a little bit more different than the other mustangs that commute an ordinary driver from point A to point B with no idea what these cars are capable of.

After the Roush upper grill, I stopped modding for about a year and saved up money as I focused on what I ultimately wanted:

a) Respect to the v6 Cyclone potential
b) Confidence to line up with 400 crank engines and keep the bar close
c) Pride in my car

After washing it today, just felt like I wanted to post a "hows it going" from when I first joined here a few days after I took the car home, to future plans and meeting ppl in the Miami area.

The future:

Now that I am happy with what the car is capable of with a little bit of love, I am at a crossroads of keeping the car in the family until my 4 year old son is ready to get his first wheels in 11 years..trading it in for a corvette (13' grand sport waiting to be handed down, plan to swap it for a ???) ..or wait until the untimely day when my first new car is wrecked and will force me go to option 2 or ???

Those are 3 very wide avenues to where I ultimately want to take the car for the next few years, but the small upgrades are still coming:

I am looking now at proper suspension and wheels as my next major upgrade with a "do it right" attitude after lurking here for a while. The build-list is significant for what I want but at the end of the day...and especially since ive seen in the last week or so a lot of threads immediately popping up about trading in my v6 for a 5.0 or should I sell my v6? etc.. at the end of the day, do what makes you happy...and feel badass Like I said earlier, I have a v6 mustang...but when limits are gone, ill gladly chirp in 3rd gear right along with you at the track!

Thanks for the read, have a good weekend all!
kgallowaypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2016, 08:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Great review!!! 45000 miles later and still enjoying her!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1456541141.324856.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	197532

Throw on a procharger supercharger

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, procharger supercharger, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:49 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
Great review!!! 45000 miles later and still enjoying her!
Attachment 197532

Throw on a procharger supercharger

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, procharger supercharger, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
Yeah I was thinking about going that route but would really like to see a reliable turbo kit for our gens than just go procharged unless I can throw in the 80 lb injectors on the Ps1 and find a shop nearby Miami to do the tune, maybe even Steeda I might go back to them
kgallowaypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2016, 07:51 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Looks like the OP got the one without any build quality issues!
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Got mine new 9/1/14, (SGM V6 Prem Vert) turned 10K miles today. Other than some minor panel alignment issues, it has been great. No problems at all. Still like the S197 overall. Had a couple of arguments with SYNC but nothing serious.
Glad OP likes his.
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Love mine, got it new 9/13/14. 21,600 miles later and no complaints.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:32 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Sure beats needing virtually every part of the power train from the crank back repaired or replaced!
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
20000km on my 2014 gt premium.So in love with this car!!!!!! Race red with red leather interior is awesome!!!!!
TroyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyB View Post
20000km on my 2014 gt premium.So in love with this car!!!!!! Race red with red leather interior is awesome!!!!!
I just hit 20K on my 2014 PP V6... Knock on wood but all seems like new, minus a door rattle that I will be fixing soon.
Hawkstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Coming up on a year with my CPO 14' base Conv . Only issue was the top rubbed and tore the beading so ford replaced the top. Also had water in the rear drivers wheel well. That also was taken care of. Up in the air about having 3.73s put in or get the Borla ABs.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1456716617.279534.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	197637

Old 02-28-2016, 09:44 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Just turned over 50,000 mi. on our 14 V6. Great car, No issues, Quality is still great. Live in an area where the roads aren't taken care of very well. No rattles yet. Knock on wood.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:58 AM   #12

Region: North Carolina
Been loving my car since I got it brand new on 05/17/2014 now with 32k on her. She is still solid with all the mods 2014 v6 SMG MT .. going to post pics soon
Jmarrow250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Currently at 47K miles, plenty of mods, only thing needing replacement was the water pump and I'm hoping it stays that way.
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:31 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Nice Review. I've had my 2011 V6 since May 2010 and just turned 25,000 miles
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:54 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
My car is getting ready to turn 57,000 only issue was a water leak from the cowl panel besides that totally satisfied.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:07 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Just hit 89k on my '11 v6, only problems had with it was an bad AC actuator and a broken header bolt, both quick ez fixes, otherwise smooth running, do I regret not getting the 5.0? I think about it constantly but I always remember the car payment, insurance cost, and gas cost(I commute 74miles a day and pretty well modded I can still get over 28mpg). Anyway good write up and keep it up!
Wheela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:17 AM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
No problems reported on my 2014 3.7 that had "57,000" miles on it.

At least now I don't have to worry about the airbag recall...

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang