2014 Mustang 3.7 engine knocking & ticking at idle - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-29-2016, 10:14 AM   #1

Region: New York
2014 Mustang 3.7 engine knocking & ticking at idle

Hi everyone! My 2014 Mustang v6 3.7 engine I notice has a light knock noise at idle, it doesn't go away when the car is warm. The ticking I know some Mustangs do this and I am not concerned with, but I am unsure about this other light knocking noise. I can't hear it in the car but I can hear it under the hood on the driver's side. Of course it is just out of bumper to bumper 3year/36K mile warranty, with just under 36,500 miles. I called my dealership (I have bought 4 cars from in the past) and they are telling me they will charge for diagnostics, major bummer. Is this something to worry about? The car is completely stock with the exception of new floor mats
Video I posted is at youtube at I also uploaded it to the forum as well, should I be concerned with the thumping noise, you need to turn your speakers up to hear it over the clicking noise. Thanks for any help or thoughts.
Attached Files
sdion98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2016, 08:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
i have that exact same noise coming from under my hood started about a month ago after doing an oil change myself. i previously changed the oil mobil 1 full synthetic and filter and had no problem until the recent oil change.
1Mustang805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I notice it every once in a while as well, been doing that since I bought mine at 35k miles. Nothing has happened to it 36,000+ miles later, so I'm not worried about it. Just attributing it to the engine being well broken in.
2013 v6, performance pack, mt82 manual, MGW Race Spec shifter, SVE Drifts 19x9.5, H&R Supersport springs, Koni yellows, BMR panhard bar, adjustable UCA and LCA, shorty antenna, GT500 strut mounts, black painted roof, Roush splitters all around, GT hood and fog lights.
Josh_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2016, 06:21 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Sounds like something 'major' wrong with your engine. My 2011 doesn't make a sound any where near like in the videos.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:21 AM   #5
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Almost sounds like a GDI engine.

IG: the_notorious_vig_
Old 03-01-2016, 10:07 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Definitely something going on in there. Sounds like an old tractor. And your not getting a CEL?
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
You are still under the 5 Year 60K powertrain warranty if it is something internal.
2013 RedMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
The ticking sounds like Cam Phasers. The thumping sounds serious...like something going on at the Crank. I'd have that checked out.
I hate the newer Mustangs (05 - Up). I have an 08 GT. Seems Ford is building crappier sounding motors after 04. Especially the Cam Phaser issue where it always sounds like your car is low on oil. Sure they're putting more H.P. now but the motors don't seem to be lasting.
FORD...Go back to Push Rod Motors & give them the H.P. !!!
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:27 PM   #9

No CHeck engine light. I called up the salesmen that I bought it from, let me remind you I have bought 3 cars just from him, total for from the dealership and he is staying I need pay a diagnostic fee just for them to look at it. I am so sicken by this, here I thought I had a dealership I could trust.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:33 PM   #10

Do any of you know how I can escalate this, I understand u am out of my bumper to bumper 3year/36K, but it's a 2014 just out if warrenty I have under 36,500 miles. If this dealership doesn't make this right sorry guys, I think I need to walk away from Ford. I am sure I will trade this for a V8 in the next 3-5 years, I don't keep cars long due to me wracking up the miles, but instead of a GT I may be forced to go with a SS.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:41 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Any repair (and I would include diagnostic with that) that needs to be done to the engine should be covered under the 60k mile powertrain warranty without costing you a single dime. Bumper to bumper warranty is more for body and cosmetic issues, nothing to do with the motor. Go to another Ford dealer if they're not working with you on this issue. Any Ford dealer can take care of a warranty covered repair.
2013 v6, performance pack, mt82 manual, MGW Race Spec shifter, SVE Drifts 19x9.5, H&R Supersport springs, Koni yellows, BMR panhard bar, adjustable UCA and LCA, shorty antenna, GT500 strut mounts, black painted roof, Roush splitters all around, GT hood and fog lights.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:47 PM   #12

Really even to diagnose the issue? That should be cover too under the 5y/60K? Thank you for all the replies I welcome all of them, keep the coming. Oil is fine, actually think maybe to much oil is in her but the same dealership did the oil change too. The oil is still clear as well. Great idea going to another dealership, I didn't think that was an option. I was always afraid of not getting taken care of since I didn't buy it there, but the dealership I bought it from isn't doing much for me anyways.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:02 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah they should take it in for diagnosis without it costing you anything, no questions asked, except for probably the usual "has the car been abused?" questions. But even at 36k miles, a car like this that's been dogged on a little bit shouldn't be ready to throw a piston already. That's a manufacturer defect.

I finally put on some good headphones to listen to the video, that is an odd sound that it's making, and I could swear I've heard it before with mine some time ago. I drive the hell out of this car, and it's been rock solid reliable with 71k miles on it now.

One thing I live by, is that most engines are always to going to make an odd sound or two of some kind. As long as it's not anymore audible than the usual injector and valve chatter, it's good by me. Anything audible from inside the car, would be an issue. In your case since it's happening in random intervals, that is something to be concerned about, so deff get it checked out.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:18 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Have you talked to the service department about this? For example get their opinion as to whether they feel a diagnostic is required or recommended based on what they hear.
Also, discuss the possibility as to whether it could be something that would be covered under the power train warranty or what would it take to be covered.
In other words, some dialog regarding possible problems, or lack of them, and whether it is recommended that it be pursued, should take place.

In the absence of some level of cooperation from the service department, you should take it to Ford Motors indicating your concern for potential drive train related problems,which may worsen in time.

EDIT: I believe that the dealer must feel a diagnostic is required before they take it upon themselves to do one without a charge. If you request one and it finds no problem, you pay for it. If a power train related problem is found they would not charge for diagnostic. But this should all be discussed with the service people, before hand.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:21 PM   #15

Update: I can now hear it in the cabin at a red light.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:30 PM   #16

Great stuff folks, thank you for all the input. I think I will swing by tomorrow to the dealership and ask to talk to the service department, then go from there. I will keep you all posted. Thx again.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:48 PM   #17
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Um, this sounds like a power train issue and you're still covered under that warranty.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:37 AM   #18

Just brought it in with the knock to the dealership. Service Department tells me not to worry, it is due to being so cold outside (24*F). The knock is normal, so is the tick. I guess 2014 Ford Mustang Cyclone engines are supposed to sound like in my opinion an old tractor in cold weather. He did point out the same knock noise coming from the passenger side in the rear of the engine as well, but it wasn't as noticeable nor load as the driver side. I did notice the knock only happens after the engine has warmed up and it continues to make the same noise when revving but at a faster frequency of course.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:41 PM   #19
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Well at least it's documented now.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:35 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Like Vig said, but we all know if every thing was AOK, the cold weather can make an engine sound more noisy, but it should quiet down as is gets warm. I not buying it though.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:50 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Whatever it may be, my car doesn't make that sound.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:07 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

If I were the OP, I'd consider getting a second opinion. That doesn't sound good.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:32 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
If I were the OP, I'd consider getting a second opinion. That doesn't sound good.
I have a '14 with no such sounds and I would agree with another opinion.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdion98 View Post
Just brought it in with the knock to the dealership. Service Department tells me not to worry, it is due to being so cold outside (24*F). The knock is normal, so is the tick. I guess 2014 Ford Mustang Cyclone engines are supposed to sound like in my opinion an old tractor in cold weather. He did point out the same knock noise coming from the passenger side in the rear of the engine as well, but it wasn't as noticeable nor load as the driver side. I did notice the knock only happens after the engine has warmed up and it continues to make the same noise when revving but at a faster frequency of course.
I'm in South Dakota and my neighbor's never sounded like that. Sometimes she drives it in -15.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
2014 mustang