Sad news and wanted to share - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-29-2016, 12:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Sad news and wanted to share

Hey all
This happened over the weekend and just wanted to share w all. So sad and so preventable.
Three Killed in Fiery, Multi-Car Crash in East Los Angeles - ABC News

Drive safely.

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, procharger supercharger, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2016, 12:09 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Consequences of street racing.

Adventure till you drop.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:16 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Street racing is stupid. Nothing is being proven. We all are aware of our car's limits. I always tell people to keep it on a drag strip. People are trying to get home to see their families.

My heart goes out to the people who lost their lives for other people's stupid decision.
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2016, 12:17 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
According to the news, Charger -vs- Challenger. 35 year old driver of the Challenger is old enough to know better, but the other car fled the scene.
Two women returning from Disneyland and the UPS driver dead.
The racers should be charged with murder.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
According to the news, Charger -vs- Challenger. 35 year old driver of the Challenger is old enough to know better, but the other car fled the scene.

Two women returning from Disneyland and the UPS driver dead.

The racers should be charged with murder.

They're not gonna get murder. Not how the law works. Not that I don't agree with u but manslaughter is the right charge.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:28 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosariors3 View Post
They're not gonna get murder. Not how the law works. Not that I don't agree with u but manslaughter is the right charge.
Our prosecutor here sought and won a murder charge for an auto collision (notice I did NOT call it an "accident").
If you read most state's definition for murder, it includes some form of "manifest indifference" resulting in death.
I know that most prosecutors will bail out and only charge manslaughter, but a courageous one can do better.....see below for some light reading - actual case appeal, and murder charge confirmed:

STATE v. BARSTAD | FindLaw
Old 02-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Our prosecutor here sought and won a murder charge for an auto collision (notice I did NOT call it an "accident").

If you read most state's definition for murder, it includes some form of "manifest indifference" resulting in death.

I know that most prosecutors will bail out and only charge manslaughter, but a courageous one can do better.....see below for some light reading - actual case appeal, and murder charge confirmed:

STATE v. BARSTAD | FindLaw

I could see that but this is diff. Involuntary manslaughter with no more then 10 years with fines and I'm sure there will be civil suits against him.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Diff with that case was individual was fueled with alcohol and rage. Driving in ppls lawns etc and kept going. With this incident it was impulse. Just driving and all of a sudden gets the urge to race another car and this happens. So stupid..

Old 02-29-2016, 12:38 PM   #9
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
that sux.

this is why we delete street racing posts. It isn't too bad if it's just yourself but to be responsible for someones other than yours death...
Old 02-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I could see that but this is diff. Involuntary manslaughter with no more then 10 years with fines and I'm sure there will be civil suits against him.

I disagree.........street racing in the dark especially, is a clear demonstration of "manifest indifference" to anyone else on the road, and other's right to safety and life.
90+mph, passing on the right, hitting a semi causing it to go out of control and into oncoming traffic, killing three innocents .........where here is NOT "manifest indifference."??
Again, I know that most prosecutors are not courageous enough to seek a murder charge in these cases, but by the very definition of manifest indifference, street racing is no different than firing a gun down a crowded sidewalk.....except with street racing your bullet weighs 4,000 pounds.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

" shooting a gun at a crowd is no diff"??? Of course there is. If your shooting your gun at a crowd you know for a fact someone is going to get hurt or even killed. Street racing there is a potential of the same But one isn't street racing to intentionally cause harm. Big diff.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:02 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
" shooting a gun at a crowd is no diff"??? Of course there is. If your shooting your gun at a crowd you know for a fact someone is going to get hurt or even killed. Street racing there is a potential of the same But one isn't street racing to intentionally cause harm. Big diff.

Let's just agree to disagree. If you fire your gun in the direction of people, and are aiming between them, but hit and kill one of them instead, what do you think you are going to be charged with?
The manifest indifference to human life of pulling a trigger is little different than the press of the gas pedal -- although the resulting death(s) may be less than intentional in either case.
"Manifest indifference" and "intent" are two different things under the law, with intent being a higher degree of culpability. One is "I just don't care what happens if I do this," and the other takes a degree of planning. Still, manifest indifference is included in most state's murder definitions as a lower degree of culpability.....and again, I understand your point, but these people racing and causing deaths are not charged with murder only by practice, not definition.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Let's just agree to disagree. If you fire your gun in the direction of people, and are aiming between them, but hit and kill one of them instead, what do you think you are going to be charged with?

The manifest indifference to human life of pulling a trigger is little different than the press of the gas pedal -- although the resulting death(s) may be less than intentional in either case.

"Manifest indifference" and "intent" are two different things under the law, with intent being a higher degree of culpability. One is "I just don't care what happens if I do this," and the other takes a degree of planning. Still, manifest indifference is included in most state's murder definitions as a lower degree of culpability.....and again, I understand your point, but these people racing and causing deaths are not charged with murder only by practice, not definition.

I don't disagree with the meaning of the word. Yes they both have disregard for life. I'm simply saying that involuntary manslaughter is the right charge. An attorney would not take the chance for mani indiff. Simply because in my opinion they will not get it to stick. Again it's a sad and stupid situation and we both agree on that. If one was drinking alcohol, enough to impair their driving and was street racing I could see that charge, simply because they new they were under the influence and still got behind the wheel.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:31 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Rosario........thanks --- I enjoy discussions like ours.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:34 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
This is California, this guy is either going to get the book thrown at him and locked up for the rest of his life as a murderer or he is going to get a traffic ticket and a slap on the wrist. But they are making examples out of people doing this crap.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:34 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Rosario........thanks --- I enjoy discussions like ours.

Me too bud. It's ok when ppl disagree. Nothing wrong with that. It makes the discussion interesting. I know some ppl get bent outta shape but it's pet of life

Old 02-29-2016, 01:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Let's keep this thread alive with the results of the outcome . Should be interesting

Old 02-29-2016, 01:41 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Let's keep this thread alive with the results of the outcome . Should be interesting

Indeed.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:57 PM   #19
Staff

Regular
Staff

But couldn't you then say your judgement was impaired and you had even less of a clue?

not really meaning that ^^ just pondering. I would say something like this deserves more than a max of 10 years depending on how fast they were going and what thet really were doing.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:03 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
My thoughts and prayers go out to the Families of the dead and injured.
I know in Tennessee they will try to get you on 2nd degree murder, although the one in Johnson City got it down to Reckless Homicide, they were both still charged with Vehicular Homicide and Aggravated Assault.
In Memory of Cortney Raquel Hensely 11/12/1987-09/24/2005 - My Firefighter Nation
North Carolina charges you with 2nd Degree Murder also 4 killed, 1 charged in apparent drag racing wreck | News - WCTI NewsChannel 12
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:07 PM   #21
Staff

Regular
Staff

something else to consider before you suggest what the driver should get, consider if it was your Love coming home that didn't get there.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:30 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
something else to consider before you suggest what the driver should get, consider if it was your Love coming home that didn't get there.

That would be horrible but unfortunately for them that's not gonna change the laws. If the offender had no priors he most likely will get no more than 10 yrs.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang