Header Advice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-29-2016, 09:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Header Advice

I have a 2012 v6; currently tuner(MPT Ghost Cam tune), 3.73 gears, CAI, MAC Axleback, MAC prochamber mid pipe...(no cats). So I'm looking to buy some shorties...with my current set up long tubes are not an option. I thought I go with MAC Shorties; but have had a few people say I'd regret it...but I think they sound great and really just straight MAC makes sense. I considered BBK; but not sure how I feel about them...as of late I've heard nothing but JBA is the best out there. I not the smartest guy...but if anyone could lend some advice pros and cons. I would really appreciate any feedback at all....thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
raykrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2016, 08:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I had the mac shorties on my car and they where nice. The build, fitment, performance, and install was great. I cant speak for the bbks but im sure theyre great also. I went with mac due to the equal lenght design and great results on my previous stangs.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I have the BBK's, they were the only ones out there at the time. The JBA's are the only 1's with their Shorties built out of Stainless where everyone else's are mild steel.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2016, 10:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
There are no shorty headers that i personally like, they all have flaws in their own way.

The JBA have the smallest diameter of all options. Not sure how big of a deal it is, but it is worth noting.

You need a long merge collector for good power and the MACs have virtually no merge collector at all, so im sure that impacts performance. How much? No telling, but basic header design tells us its does to some extent.

The BBKs have decent diameter and merge collector design, but BBKs overall quality is lacking, so its pretty much just pick your poison at this point.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:10 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Long tube headers all the way

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jase33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase33 View Post
Long tube headers all the way

You do realize long tube headers are illegal on any street car that did not come with them from the factory. once you move the Cats it makes them illegal
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I vote to just stick with MAC. After browsing through numerous reviews and sound clips, a full MAC setup with their shorties and h-pipe seemed like the best fit. Plus the price was reasonable. I think their site is roughly $1500 for the entire setup.

Move to Michigan! We don't monitor a damn thing.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Express View Post
You do realize long tube headers are illegal on any street car that did not come with them from the factory. once you move the Cats it makes them illegal
Quite a few people, in quite a few states, manage to get by without the cats.
Just heard from a friend that some inspection stations in New Jersey have video cameras that record the bottom of your car as you roll in so they can check for the cats.
Then you have Mass. that has adopted the requirement that aftermarket systems be CARB approved. But they don't bother giving something like a CAI, a 2nd thought.
Will be interesting to see what 2017 will bring for inspection changes.

EDIT: BTW...The quality of my BBK shorties were excellent but the MAC are definitely a bit easier to install.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Quite a few people, in quite a few states, manage to get by without the cats.
Just heard from a friend that some inspection stations in New Jersey have video cameras that record the bottom of your car as you roll in so they can check for the cats.
Then you have Mass. that has adopted the requirement that aftermarket systems be CARB approved. But they don't bother giving something like a CAI, a 2nd thought.
Will be interesting to see what 2017 will bring for inspection changes.

EDIT: BTW...The quality of my BBK shorties were excellent but the MAC are definitely a bit easier to install.
Had a friend that actually passed smog with long tubes and high flow cats 2 time's, got stopped at a DUI check point and got written for other than OEM cats. Returning it to stock was enough to get the fine down to $1500 and put on a list that said you can get inspected at anytime.
I will stay emission legal.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2016, 09:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
There are no shorty headers that i personally like, they all have flaws in their own way.

The JBA have the smallest diameter of all options. Not sure how big of a deal it is, but it is worth noting.

You need a long merge collector for good power and the MACs have virtually no merge collector at all, so im sure that impacts performance. How much? No telling, but basic header design tells us its does to some extent.

The BBKs have decent diameter and merge collector design, but BBKs overall quality is lacking, so its pretty much just pick your poison at this point.

I would like to revise my statement. When you break down the math, the JBA actually is not that bad. For the below calculations i am assuming .05" wall thickness for all measured pipes.

BBK Shorties:
1.625" primaries - .05" wall thickness = 1.94 sq in per primary for a total exhaust area of 5.84 sq in

JBA shorties:
1.5" primaries - .05" wall thickness = 1.65 sq in per primary for a total exhaust area of 4.95 sq in.

Thats not including the shape or size of the collectors, that is just primary flow assuming uniform diameter throughout the pipe.
Now lets take a look at catbacks.

2.25" - .05" wall thickness = 3.8 sq in
2.5" - .05" wall thickness = 4.71 sq in

Assuming i didn't butcher my math, on paper, even the smaller JBA will outflow even a 2.5" catback assuming the collector design is not a restriction (which i doubt it is). The smaller diameter on the JBA probably helps keep exhaust gas velocity up too, which will in turn make more power *(assuming the BBK and mac are in fact oversized and causing the exhaust gas to slow). There is obviously a lot more to making power than purely measuring area, but i feel its a good a starting point as any. I'd need to study the collector designs more, but the JBA might just get my vote. I'll follow up on this if this thread stays alive and i remember haha.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:35 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I have the BBK Ceramic shorties. No problems with them.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:55 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Had a friend that actually passed smog with long tubes and high flow cats 2 time's, got stopped at a DUI check point and got written for other than OEM cats. Returning it to stock was enough to get the fine down to $1500 and put on a list that said you can get inspected at anytime.
I will stay emission legal.

Assuming this happened in TN, I'll be sure to stay away from there. LOL
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:01 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Actually it was in North Carolina, and everyone keeps saying you can't search a car without a warrant. Louder than stock gives probable cause to get 1.
Also it was a Federal law and not state he was written on.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:36 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I'll put North Carolina on my list of states-to-avoid list.
Yes I am aware of the federal laws on cats, that is why I don't understand how outfits like Hennessy can get away with breaking those laws and then publicizing it.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:07 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Not trying to hijack. Thinking about shorties also, leaning toward BBK ceramic was wondering durability. Any rust out issues? How long do they last?
Thank you
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:12 AM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree43 View Post
Not trying to hijack. Thinking about shorties also, leaning toward BBK ceramic was wondering durability. Any rust out issues? How long do they last?
Thank you
No rust or anything on mine. I do like that they do not change color

I still have the faint ticking when under load but I have learned to tune it out since testing was done on it and no issues where found. Even tried reinstalling them again.
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:38 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree43 View Post
Thank you
Mine are a bit shy of 2 years old and still look the same as the day I installed them.
As you probably already know, the ceramic also helps to keep the under hood temperature lower. Better for people with their so-called CAI's.

EDIT: Never noticed any ticking, but then again I wear hearing aids.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:03 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Mine are a bit shy of 2 years old and still look the same as the day I installed them.
As you probably already know, the ceramic also helps to keep the under hood temperature lower. Better for people with their so-called CAI's.

EDIT: Never noticed any ticking, but then again I wear hearing aids.
Mine are almost 2 years old, no problems, re torqued a couple of times and checked monthly. Definitely love the low to mid range HP and Torque bump.
No ticking with mine, but then again I need hearing aids
Old 03-08-2016, 01:12 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Mine are almost 2 years old, no problems, re torqued a couple of times and checked monthly. Definitely love the low to mid range HP and Torque bump.
No ticking with mine, but then again I need hearing aids
I only checked the torque(reasonably tight) on my headers once after the install.
Did you find the need for additional tightening when rechecking the torque?
Old 03-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
I only checked the torque(reasonably tight) on my headers once after the install.
I tightened the bolts on my headers to 300 ft lbs. just kidding
Old 03-08-2016, 01:29 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Not sure if Stage 8 makes locking bolts for the Cyclone but those damn things have worked spectacularly for me in the past.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:18 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Checked mine really good twice but it was more of a visual for the once a month

Old 03-08-2016, 03:33 PM   #23
Road Trip!

Oh i ddnt know that..it's legal in Texas from what I know...everyone has them mustangs,camaros,corvettes,etc

Old 03-08-2016, 03:50 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh i ddnt know that..it's legal in Texas from what I know...everyone has them mustangs,camaros,corvettes,etc

Federal Law, Texas is in the US and the box they come in "Off Road Use Only ".

Old 03-08-2016, 05:33 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Never seen that.. and I don't think it matters either

Old 03-08-2016, 07:22 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
No rust or anything on mine. I do like that they do not change color

I still have the faint ticking when under load but I have learned to tune it out since testing was done on it and no issues where found. Even tried reinstalling them again.
I have these on my wish list. You and a couple others have talked about ticking. Ticking like how? Like the old Headman or Hooker headers we used run back in the 60's & 70's? If so I can learn to live with that
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:43 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Not sure if Stage 8 makes locking bolts for the Cyclone but those damn things have worked spectacularly for me in the past.

I bought a set. I installed two of them then removed. I think they are total crap. I thought that little 8MM bolt head was going to 'pop' off by the time i got it torqued down. The bolt heads are way too small...............
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:26 AM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Never seen that.. and I don't think it matters either

You can get pulled over and towed in a "non emissions" state. Federal law always trumps state law and Federal law says you can't mess with the emissions system at all. Now... 99% of the time if you have a catted pipe you are good. I have rolled through emissions with aftermarket catted pipes in NJ just fine. My buddy, on the other hand, got pulled over and a big fine/fix it ticket in Wisconsin for an OR pipe and that is a state where you don't even get inspected. Only reason he was not towed is because his mom worked for the Sherriff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
I bought a set. I installed two of them then removed. I think they are total crap. I thought that little 8MM bolt head was going to 'pop' off by the time i got it torqued down. The bolt heads are way too small...............
Really? Not the experience I had. You don't exactly need to be going very tight into aluminum heads. Were you actually using a torque wrench? Its like 20ft lbs... I forget exactly. The bolt heads are small so you can get a socket on there easier and the ones I had also had a hole for an allen head in them which made it really easy.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:24 AM   #29
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
You can get pulled over and towed in a "non emissions" state. Federal law always trumps state law and Federal law says you can't mess with the emissions system at all. Now... 99% of the time if you have a catted pipe you are good. I have rolled through emissions with aftermarket catted pipes in NJ just fine. My buddy, on the other hand, got pulled over and a big fine/fix it ticket in Wisconsin for an OR pipe and that is a state where you don't even get inspected. Only reason he was not towed is because his mom worked for the Sherriff.

Really? Not the experience I had. You don't exactly need to be going very tight into aluminum heads. Were you actually using a torque wrench? Its like 20ft lbs... I forget exactly. The bolt heads are small so you can get a socket on there easier and the ones I had also had a hole for an allen head in them which made it really easy.
Just for those rare cases, this is why I leave my mid-pipe alone.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:38 AM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm going to run an aftermarket catted pipe. If I ever get an OR pipe tho, its getting dummy cats.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:54 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
I'm going to run an aftermarket catted pipe. If I ever get an OR pipe tho, its getting dummy cats.

Where would U get dummy cats from?

Old 03-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosariors3 View Post
Where would U get dummy cats from?

animal shelter....

ba dum chhhhh
Old 03-09-2016, 08:34 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Good one kev the rev

Old 03-09-2016, 08:39 AM   #34
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosariors3 View Post
Good one kev the rev

I'm here all day folks!

I googled and found this....

https://www.google.com/search?q=dumm...erter&tbm=shop

Those have to be dummy cats cuz $30 for one is wayyyy too cheap.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:41 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Ty sir ... I think that's a good "stand up" name for u!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang