Brake Upgrade (need confirmation) - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-23-2016, 02:19 PM   #36
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugeismo View Post
That is sexy. How much was it per caliper?
I got the Brembo kit from AM:

Ford Racing Mustang SVT Front Brake Upgrade Kit M-2300-S (05-14 GT, V6) - Free Shipping
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2016, 02:28 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Nice real nice....
2014 MCOA, V6 PREMIUM, PERFORMANCE PACKAGE, COMFORT PACKAGE, SECURITY PACKAGE, DEEP IMPACT BLUE WITH SILVER CUSTOM COBRA STYLE STRIPES, AIRAID TUBE, TINTED 35%, PIONEER 8000 NEX, REAR CAMERA, BORLA TOUR AXLE BACK, K&N FILTER. JLT OIL CATCH CAN, CUSTOM MADE HOOD STRUTS, BBK SHORTY CERAMIC

heebe_geebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:49 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
Holy Moses. Definitely let me know how that turns out. I'm curious to see the result and how it compares for the cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2016, 05:03 PM   #39
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Yea, I am not a fan of putting used mechanical or performance parts on my car. So I usually/almost always buy new. Plus, sometimes that warranty goes a long way.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:07 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea, I am not a fan of putting used mechanical or performance parts on my car. So I usually/almost always buy new. Plus, sometimes that warranty goes a long way.
Understandable. I'm the same way. I've had good luck with Powerstop though. So the whole "rebuilt" part of the calipers doesn't bother me as much as it normally would.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #41
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

I had the PowerStop kit on my 2014 before switching to this Brembo kit actually. I tried the drilled and slotted look, not really for me. I am switching back to blank discs in the front and back.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:33 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
I'm actually holding out for a used set of 13/14 GT500 Brembos just for saving a bunch of money. With the money saved, they can be professionally cleaned and powder coated. Used rotors can be turned for around $20, and I can install some new ceramic pads, if anyone makes them for those particular calipers.
2013 v6, performance pack, mt82 manual, MGW Race Spec shifter, SVE Drifts 19x9.5, H&R Supersport springs, Koni yellows, BMR panhard bar, adjustable UCA and LCA, shorty antenna, GT500 strut mounts, black painted roof, Roush splitters all around, GT hood and fog lights.
Josh_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:56 PM   #43
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Got my Brembos put on. The 19x8.5 2015 GT performance pack rim that AM sells will clear these just fine. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1458870962.983270.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	198733

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
Old 03-24-2016, 10:20 PM   #44
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
These any good? Ad says 05-14 Roush rotors and they measure 13" across. Seems like all is needed is a caliper bracket to upgrade to GT.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1458875973.456937.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	198738

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:10 AM   #45
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Brake Upgrade (need confirmation)

If thats the size then it could be possible.

As far as how good, i havent really did any serious braking. Trying to give them a bit before doing that.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:37 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

I'm on the fence as to brake upgrade myself, can't decide which way to go? Following at 36,001 miles.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:59 PM   #47
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Well, much as I didn't want red, I ordered the kit from AA. It was cheaper than just the brackets, or it would be if I wasn't planning to keep the old parts. Also ordered Hawk ceramic pads.

Will probably do the rears at some point, too.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:42 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

An interesting find for those looking for a mid-range upgrade.

Mustang Front Disc Brake Upgrade Kit 4-Piston V6/GT 2005-2014

I believe these are the PP brakes off a 11-14 GT.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:34 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
An interesting find for those looking for a mid-range upgrade.

Mustang Front Disc Brake Upgrade Kit 4-Piston V6/GT 2005-2014

I believe these are the PP brakes off a 11-14 GT.
Hmm, that kit is about $300 to $400 cheaper than all the other Brembo kits on the market... It says the Calipers are re-manufactured, and that's fine since really the only moving components are the pistons and seals, but the lack of name brand "accessories" is likely where the money comes from. They dont tell you what brand of brake lines, pads, or rotors you're getting, just that they're "premium." Yes, a good upgrade nonetheless, but i just like to know what i am actually buying. To each their own though. To be fair, the AM kit doesnt list name brands and still costs as much as the Vorshalg kit which gives you Centric rotors and the option for Carbotech pads, so there's that too...

S197 Mustang 14" Brembo Front Brake Upgrade Kit - Vorshlag LLC

Ford Racing Mustang SVT Front Brake Upgrade Kit M-2300-S (05-14 GT, V6) - Free Shipping

On second thought, i'd probably still rock that CJ kit for the street, then just swap to a dedicated set of track pads and rotors... Hmmm
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:11 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, the lack of detail is a little odd. I'll have to call them tomorrow and ask. It's about 1.5x the cost of a straight OEM upgrade using Powerstop calipers. However it's $300 less than the SVT package.

Hopefully CJPP will tell me what they are. I'd be pretty tempted to do it if the parts are solid. Rebuilt calipers don't bother me. I did plenty of 300ZX brake upgrades on 240SX's. The only way to do it was strip, paint, and install a rebuild kit. Never had an issue.

I'm pretty sure the AM kit is all OEM Ford (minus Goodridge lines). The part number they list is the same as the FRPP kit.
Mugeismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:49 PM   #51
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Brake Upgrade (need confirmation)

I like the Brembo kit from AM for the front for a few things - the kit is complete with dust shields, steel brake lines, etc. I assume it is all new and not remanufactured.

If you are gonna take things apart and install new stuff, i would recommend steel brake lines at least. I cannot see the point of those rubber brake lines in that kit if your brake lines are still fairly new.

I can speak as far as how they perform - much better over the setup which i had. Which was the 2014 V6 Performance Pack brake setup with the 13.2" front rotors. With the rubber brake lines and stock calipers, everything felt mushy. Even after a brake bleed (minor temporary improvement imo).

Now when I brake, it is effortless and gives more confidence.

I do not regret my purchase at all. My only true regret was trying to stick to the 13.2" setup - being convinced it was "good enough". I wouldn't take back my purchase.

Plus everything is warrantied with my new kit.

At the end of the day, i would suggest saving and using the extra $300 for a known good kit. Over a budget buy.

I could only suggest that kit from CJ if they confirm they will stand behind that product. As far as warranty and such.

But those rubber brake lines, mystery pads and rotors, etc do not give me confidence.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:54 PM   #52
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

And with the AM code, the kit was $1,034.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:51 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Zombie, you make a good point. I agree with you, but I'm going to be the guinea pig. Worst comes to worst, I have trouble stopping. No big deal right?

It's hard for me to justify the cost of a true big brake upgrade when I'm still on a stock engine/drivetrain. CJPP says the kit is A-1 Cardone. That's all they would give me. Since A-1 sells them the kit complete, they have no idea who made the pads, rotors, and lines (stainless btw).
Old 03-30-2016, 08:24 AM   #54
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Zombie, you make a good point. I agree with you, but I'm going to be the guinea pig. Worst comes to worst, I have trouble stopping. No big deal right?

It's hard for me to justify the cost of a true big brake upgrade when I'm still on a stock engine/drivetrain. CJPP says the kit is A-1 Cardone. That's all they would give me. Since A-1 sells them the kit complete, they have no idea who made the pads, rotors, and lines (stainless btw).
Save the guinea pig thing for the next guy. Trust me, $700 is a decent enough chunk to give huge regret later on if it flops.

As far as the "Worst comes to worst, I have trouble stopping. No big deal right?"

I had a little laugh. But at the same time that can be serious if you REALLY need to stop. Because the person you might rear-end, may not think of it as being no big deal.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:42 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Calipers alone usually go for around $600, so even if the rest of the stuff is total crap you can basically look at it as if you just bought slightly over priced calipers. That being said, cheap rotors aren't nearly as bad on a street car as cheap pads, so even if you replace the pads and lines with good stuff you're still only spending as much as the other kits cost anyways. I'd say its probably not a bad deal to just try it out.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:44 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I emailed CJPP questioning the warranty on this brake kit. They acknowledged receiving the question but haven't answered it yet.

Name:   Brakes.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  10.8 KB
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:47 AM   #57
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Calipers alone usually go for around $600, so even if the rest of the stuff is total crap you can basically look at it as if you just bought slightly over priced calipers. That being said, cheap rotors aren't nearly as bad on a street car as cheap pads, so even if you replace the pads and lines with good stuff you're still only spending as much as the other kits cost anyways. I'd say its probably not a bad deal to just try it out.
Well if he will end up spending as much as the Brembo kit on AM, why not go for a known good kit?

Plus, you get the Brembo "cool" factor. When people check them out on my ride and compliment them, I feel like

But if I had no-name stuff, then I would feel like

LOL. I know I know, coolness doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I emailed CJPP questioning the warranty on this brake kit. They acknowledged receiving the question but haven't answered it yet.
Attachment 199020
Yea that sounds shady. They are probably waiting to hear from the vendor on what they should say. lol
Old 03-30-2016, 10:10 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

They are brembos, factory Boss and GT500 refirb units. I agree and disagree at the same time. There's a fine line between this kit being worth it for what it is, and wishing you had just got the nicer kit to begin with ... its tough.

Also, you likely just got an automated reply, its common for places to do that just to let you know they did in fact receive your email.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:38 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
They are brembos, factory Boss and GT500 refirb units. I agree and disagree at the same time. There's a fine line between this kit being worth it for what it is, and wishing you had just got the nicer kit to begin with ... its tough.

Also, you likely just got an automated reply, its common for places to do that just to let you know they did in fact receive your email.
Yes! It definitely was an automated reply.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:13 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I had a little laugh. But at the same time that can be serious if you REALLY need to stop. Because the person you might rear-end, may not think of it as being no big deal.
Sorry. I forget my usual dose of heavily implied sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet.

They're still OEM Brembos, I just don't think they took the time to paint the Brembo logo separately. I've emailed Cardone to see who is the manufacturer or the pads, rotors, and lines. CJPP told me "Cardone" and then wouldn't say any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Attachment 199020
https://www.cardone.com/Products/Pro...stons%3a%3a%3a
  • Limited Lifetime Warranty
  • A warranty must be returned to the parts supplier where the A1 CARDONE product was purchased and is subject to that part store's terms & conditions.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #61
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Sorry. I forget my usual dose of heavily implied sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet.
I got it. I was just messin. LOL.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:33 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I got it. I was just messin. LOL.
I figured as much since no slurs were tossed. Work is draining my ability to think.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:35 PM   #63
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
I figured as much since no slurs were tossed. Work is draining my ability to think.
Just think....

With the AM 6% off code....

Old 03-30-2016, 12:52 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
We will see. Brakes are scheduled for June. First and foremost is wheels and tires. Pretty sure I'm still on the same tires that came with the car. Previous owner never replaced them. Ford didn't bother either.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:20 PM   #65
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
We will see. Brakes are scheduled for June. First and foremost is wheels and tires. Pretty sure I'm still on the same tires that came with the car. Previous owner never replaced them. Ford didn't bother either.
Of course not! They would do the same with rotors, struts, etc. and tell you the car is good to go! I took a truck in for a full checkup. They said the cabin air filter was almost new. Went home and looked at it just to be safe, the thing was EXTREMELY dirty. Do not trust anyone when it comes to maintenance.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:29 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Of course not! They would do the same with rotors, struts, etc. and tell you the car is good to go! I took a truck in for a full checkup. They said the cabin air filter was almost new. Went home and looked at it just to be safe, the thing was EXTREMELY dirty. Do not trust anyone when it comes to maintenance.
Yeah, my hope was that because it was certified used it would have a little extra maintenance done. However I'm not holding my breath. At least the Carfax showed it was regularly maintained by the dealer that sold it to me (first owner leased).

I'm a maintenance nut. Planning on going over the car with a fine tooth comb when I do the brakes. Figure it'll give me a good chance to go through the suspension and inspect everything for wear and tear. Most of the suspension will be replaced by the end of the year.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #67
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Yeah, my hope was that because it was certified used it would have a little extra maintenance done. However I'm not holding my breath. At least the Carfax showed it was regularly maintained by the dealer that sold it to me (first owner leased).

I'm a maintenance nut. Planning on going over the car with a fine tooth comb when I do the brakes. Figure it'll give me a good chance to go through the suspension and inspect everything for wear and tear. Most of the suspension will be replaced by the end of the year.
I did that with the 2011 I had. I bought a full take-off 2014 GT Track Pack suspension and installed it on the 2011. Changed spark plugs. Cleaned the MAF sensor, Throttle Body, and intake manifolds. Changed Coolant, oil, differential fluid, transmission fluid, and brake fluid. New Rotors and pads. New air filter and cabin filter. New tires. Ran fuel system cleaner. As well as a few other things.

That car was running MUCH better. I sold it to a family member and they baby it. So it wasn't a waste. And the gave me back most of that money. So I got Brembos and a suspension for my 2014.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:58 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Changed spark plugs. Cleaned the MAF sensor, Throttle Body, and intake manifolds. Changed Coolant, oil, differential fluid, transmission fluid, and brake fluid. New Rotors and pads. New air filter and cabin filter. New tires. Ran fuel system cleaner. As well as a few other things.
That's basically the list I have built for my 60K maintenance. Suspension will get a full overhaul around 75K.

If work goes as planned, I'll have $7500 to throw at wheels, tires, brakes, suspension, and maintenance by the end of September.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:02 PM   #69
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
That's basically the list I have built for my 60K maintenance. Suspension will get a full overhaul around 75K.

If work goes as planned, I'll have $7500 to throw at wheels, tires, brakes, suspension, and maintenance by the end of September.
Nice. I didn't even sink that much into it and I had some left over for Axlebacks, tuner, etc. To give it a little pep and make it fun to drive.

So you should be able to get a higher end setup then I did.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:08 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Finally got an answer from Cardone. They will not tell me the manufacturer of the pads, rotors, or lines. Can't say I'm shocked. Although when I told the rep that this was silly, he told me that I could take my money elsewhere if I was dissatisfied with his answer.

So it looks like the Ford or Powersfop setup it is!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang