Brake Upgrade (need confirmation) - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2016, 08:13 PM   #71
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Wow. Awesome customer service right there
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2016, 08:58 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yeah, F that mess, not even trying to make the sale ... when you're selling off brand **** you cant be getting lippy like that haha.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:26 AM   #73
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Now we know why no one has really ever heard of that kit or bought it. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kevin.cook2016/?hl=en
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2016, 04:49 AM   #74

Region: Europe
Hey guys!

My name is Alex, I do live in good ol' Germany and I am a proud owner of a V6 Mustang Premium Model 2011 (yes, over here you are a "proud" owner of an absolutely great car which is definitely more than rare to see on our roads).
My profession is to do maintenance on aircraft almost daily - so I guess I'm good to say I can do a lot of maintenance work on my cars by myself.
That is why I am definitely thinking about doing the Brembo brake upgrade with my V6 model.
I'll be back stateside in the beginning of May - which means I'll try my best to grab as many parts as I can get for this upgrade as soon as I get there.
My biggest concerns about the upgrade actually include the question whether the OEM Mustang polished 18" rims will fit without any further modifications or do I need any additional wheel spacers?
Second of that will be the question about the correct caliper brackets?
Oh, did I mention that my V6 is a stick-shift model - so I guess that's the smallest brake available for the 2011 model?!
Does anyone know the exact partnumber for the brackets which I will need for the Brembo brake system?
Ist there any special brake-line I need to use with the new brake system? Can't imagine that the V6 stock ones fit into the Brembo calipers?
Anyway - there are these rubber ones fitted to my model - but definitely prefer the metal-flex ones!
Can I just use some aftermarket metal lines designed for the V6 model or do I need to use "any other kind"?
Sorry guys, I know these are a lot of questions - but I want to be absolutely sure what components I need to buy as there is nothing like that available over here and my time beeing stateside is limited throughout the year (unfortunately!).

Thanks a lot to anyone reading this and trying to help me - I do more than appreciate any reply!

Take care and best care of your Mustangs....

AlexSpecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:22 AM   #75
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
the brembos will NOT clear the 18's
Old 04-07-2016, 08:51 AM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexSpecht View Post
Hey guys!

My name is Alex, I do live in good ol' Germany and I am a proud owner of a V6 Mustang Premium Model 2011 (yes, over here you are a "proud" owner of an absolutely great car which is definitely more than rare to see on our roads).
My profession is to do maintenance on aircraft almost daily - so I guess I'm good to say I can do a lot of maintenance work on my cars by myself.
That is why I am definitely thinking about doing the Brembo brake upgrade with my V6 model.
I'll be back stateside in the beginning of May - which means I'll try my best to grab as many parts as I can get for this upgrade as soon as I get there.
1. My biggest concerns about the upgrade actually include the question whether the OEM Mustang polished 18" rims will fit without any further modifications or do I need any additional wheel spacers?
2. Second of that will be the question about the correct caliper brackets?
3. Oh, did I mention that my V6 is a stick-shift model - so I guess that's the smallest brake available for the 2011 model?!
4. Does anyone know the exact partnumber for the brackets which I will need for the Brembo brake system?
5. Ist there any special brake-line I need to use with the new brake system? Can't imagine that the V6 stock ones fit into the Brembo calipers?
Anyway - there are these rubber ones fitted to my model - but definitely prefer the metal-flex ones!
6. Can I just use some aftermarket metal lines designed for the V6 model or do I need to use "any other kind"?
Sorry guys, I know these are a lot of questions - but I want to be absolutely sure what components I need to buy as there is nothing like that available over here and my time beeing stateside is limited throughout the year (unfortunately!).

Thanks a lot to anyone reading this and trying to help me - I do more than appreciate any reply!

Take care and best care of your Mustangs....

1. Clearing calipers if an issue of clearing both the face and the barrel. The Brembos will clear an 18" barrel as we've seen, but they wont clear the face with those rims. Your best bet is going to be to do some research on which 18s (or 19s if you wish) will clear. There are plenty.

2. The Brembos calipers are fixed, which means they are 1 piece and do not have a bracket. The stock calipers are floating (two piece) and operate on a slider, which is why they require a bracket. A fixed caliper doesnt require a bracket / slider because it has sets of opposing pistons that move instead of the entire caliper itself.

3. That is correct.

4. See number 2.

5. i am not 100% certain, but i am pretty sure the Brembos require different brake lines than what your vehicle came stock with.

6. Brake lines will typically be chassis specific, not "engine" specific, so any S197 brake lines should do the trick.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:13 AM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
1. Clearing calipers if an issue of clearing both the face and the barrel. The Brembos will clear an 18" barrel as we've seen, but they wont clear the face with those rims. Your best bet is going to be to do some research on which 18s (or 19s if you wish) will clear. There are plenty.

2. The Brembos calipers are fixed, which means they are 1 piece and do not have a bracket. The stock calipers are floating (two piece) and operate on a slider, which is why they require a bracket. A fixed caliper doesnt require a bracket / slider because it has sets of opposing pistons that move instead of the entire caliper itself.

3. That is correct.

4. See number 2.

5. i am not 100% certain, but i am pretty sure the Brembos require different brake lines than what your vehicle came stock with.

6. Brake lines will typically be chassis specific, not "engine" specific, so any S197 brake lines should do the trick.
Voltwings is right on the point here. I have done the upgrade. But AlexSpecht, Are you looking to do a 4 piston or 6 piston upgrade? Depending on which way you are going you should be able to decide the wheel size. You can always try Russel SS lines for our cars. Good Luck!!
AirAidCIA | BAMA 87P Tune | BoralAtak AB| BMRAdj UCA | BMR UCA Mnt | BMRAdj PHB | GCCoilOvers | DSS 1 Piece AL Driveshaft | BMRLCA | BMR LCA Reloc Brackets | BARTONShifter | GT CS Spoiler| RedLine Hood struts | MMD Axim 20X8.5 Audio: Dynamatted Rear & Doors | AudioControl LC8i | Speakers: Infinity 682.9cf | RockFord Prime R250X4 Amp | Rockford Prime 500.1 Mono AMP | Kicker Twin10" L5 Solo Barics in a Ported BOX |P.S MORE TO COMEEEEE!!!!
Firstang001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:25 AM   #78
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

This is why I got wheels I knew would fit first, then just got the complete kit from AM. I hate piecing stuff together and hope it works.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #79

Hey guys - first of all sorry for my late response and a big thanks to all of your replies! That's really great!
Well, a pity about the Brembos...but I definitely want to keep my polished 18" Mustang wheels. I really like them and additionally I'm not a big fan of any aftermarket rims. If I consider to go to 19" I'd prefer to go on stock Mustang rims - but to get them over here is close to impossible. Though I'm going to travel in B/C with a lots of baggage allowance when I'll visit the states in about 3 weeks I'm quite sure 4ea 19" rims bought stateside will definitely exceed the baggage allowance
So I guess I'll change my plans to go "just" for the GT brakes as this might be the "biggest" upgrade without changing to much except of the brake itself.
Did I get it right (from Mugeismo's post) that the only things I need to do the V6 Base to GT upgrade are the bigger rotors+pads and the caliper brackets? (I wonder whether the calipers are the same??)

Again, thanks for any replies!

Old 04-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #80
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Hey guys - first of all sorry for my late response and a big thanks to all of your replies! That's really great!
Well, a pity about the Brembos...but I definitely want to keep my polished 18" Mustang wheels. I really like them and additionally I'm not a big fan of any aftermarket rims. If I consider to go to 19" I'd prefer to go on stock Mustang rims - but to get them over here is close to impossible. Though I'm going to travel in B/C with a lots of baggage allowance when I'll visit the states in about 3 weeks I'm quite sure 4ea 19" rims bought stateside will definitely exceed the baggage allowance
So I guess I'll change my plans to go "just" for the GT brakes as this might be the "biggest" upgrade without changing to much except of the brake itself.
Did I get it right (from Mugeismo's post) that the only things I need to do the V6 Base to GT upgrade are the bigger rotors+pads and the caliper brackets? (I wonder whether the calipers are the same??)

Again, thanks for any replies!

Just the brackets. Calipers are indeed the same. You don't even have to change the pads if you don't want to. Unless they are old.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:42 AM   #81

Okay - that's cool 😁 Sounds like a real "budget"-upgrade!
I definitely will replace the pads when I put new rotors on! But thanks a lot for this information.
So there'll be more money left to invest in some other "performance" parts 😜
I know, it's a different topic - maybe someone can answer this question real quick -> was thinking about buying one of these (think they're called "Flash"-something...) handheld tuners...but I'm asking whether one of these makes much sense for a stick-shift model as I see the most improvement to be done with these tuners is to setup the auto-transmission...or am I wrong?
If I shouldn't ask for that within this topic I already like to say sorry in advance...

Unfortunately I only know these "regular" car parts dealers which you can find around every corner like Autozone or PepBoys...not sure how far they know about specific cars and performances of our cars and whether it makes sense to talk to one of these guys...?!
Does anybody know some good contacts/addresses in the Austin/TX or Fort Myers/FL area?
I'm happy about any hint where to go and where to get some good advices...

Old 04-13-2016, 09:56 AM   #82
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Okay - that's cool 😁 Sounds like a real "budget"-upgrade!
I definitely will replace the pads when I put new rotors on! But thanks a lot for this information.
So there'll be more money left to invest in some other "performance" parts 😜
I know, it's a different topic - maybe someone can answer this question real quick -> was thinking about buying one of these (think they're called "Flash"-something...) handheld tuners...but I'm asking whether one of these makes much sense for a stick-shift model as I see the most improvement to be done with these tuners is to setup the auto-transmission...or am I wrong?
If I shouldn't ask for that within this topic I already like to say sorry in advance...

Unfortunately I only know these "regular" car parts dealers which you can find around every corner like Autozone or PepBoys...not sure how far they know about specific cars and performances of our cars and whether it makes sense to talk to one of these guys...?!
Does anybody know some good contacts/addresses in the Austin/TX or Fort Myers/FL area?
I'm happy about any hint where to go and where to get some good advices...

Vendors like MPT or AmericanMuscle sell SCT X4 flash tuners. They will help add a little power to your manual. Won't be AS noticeable as an Auto, but the bump will still be there.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:11 AM   #83

Great, thanks for the information. Maybe I'll have a look for some other headers or exhaust things in general...with the tuner and the right setup with these parts there might be a noticeable result possible... Yes, I know, that's a different topic, so let's get back to the brakes 😉

Thanks to everyone who replied to my questions!

Old 04-13-2016, 03:07 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Ordered my brake setup today.

$425 for both sets of Powerstop calipers ($160 refundable core charge I'll get back)
$200 for both sets of Ford rotors
$65 for Stoptech front pads
$55 for Stoptech rear pads
$110 for Russel brake lines

So in total, I'm spending $855 now. After shipping back the old calipers, I'll have spent around $725 for the entire setup give or take.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #85
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugeismo View Post
Ordered my brake setup today.

$425 for both sets of Powerstop calipers ($160 refundable core charge I'll get back)
$200 for both sets of Ford rotors
$65 for Stoptech front pads
$55 for Stoptech rear pads
$110 for Russel brake lines

So in total, I'm spending $855 now. After shipping back the old calipers, I'll have spent around $725 for the entire setup give or take.
Are you going to bleed the brake system also?

Old 04-13-2016, 03:14 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
Are you going to bleed the brake system also?
Yes. Going to flush the system and run Motul.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:17 PM   #87
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Yes. Going to flush the system and run Motul.
Well then you will definitely feel an improvement. I am still loving my Brembo setup. Feels effortless stopping the car now.

I can only imagine how a 6 piston setup would feel.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:37 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well then you will definitely feel an improvement. I am still loving my Brembo setup. Feels effortless stopping the car now.

I can only imagine how a 6 piston setup would feel.
That's what I'm hoping for. It's a half "for show" upgrade and half "performance" upgrade. By the end of June I'll be swapping to a MAC axle-back and AEM filter, but I don't expect to see any real performance gain. So while this is an upgrade, it's largely unnecessary until I eek out more performance.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #89
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
That's what I'm hoping for. It's a half "for show" upgrade and half "performance" upgrade. By the end of June I'll be swapping to a MAC axle-back and AEM filter, but I don't expect to see any real performance gain. So while this is an upgrade, it's largely unnecessary until I eek out more performance.
Are you buying the MACs new? Aren't they like $400? Lots of used ATAKs for 400.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:57 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Are you buying the MACs new? Aren't they like $400? Lots of used ATAKs for 400.
More than likely new. Not a fan of the ATAK. Out of all the exhaust clips I've heard, I've settled on MAC shorties, MAC H-pipe, and MAC axle-backs as the configuration I want to go with.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:05 PM   #91
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Idk why but MAC makes me think of semi trucks. Lol

Old 04-13-2016, 05:08 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Idk why but MAC makes me think of semi trucks. Lol

Maybe it's a conspiracy...
Old 04-13-2016, 05:44 PM   #93
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Hahaha! You will get that semi sounding exhaust! Only with the stack deletes!

Old 04-15-2016, 09:34 AM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Calipers showed up today. For the price, I can't complain too much. I've always had good luck with Powerstop. I will say this though, I don't believe they're truly powder coated.

If I had to guess, they were stripped, painted with Rustoleum caliper paint, baked, and had the new hardware/seals installed.

Is this a deal breaker?
NO. You're still paying less for painted and warrantied calipers that have been rebuilt. They look better and perform better than stock.

Is it something you may have to fix in the future?
MAYBE. Depends entirely on how you feel. Personally, I will probably run them until the paint really flakes. Then I'll have them properly powder coated.

All in all I'm satisfied with the purchase. After I know the cost of powder coating, I'll figure that into the cost and make my opinion over the value of this swap vs Brembo. However I just don't ever see me putting down enough power to justify the added expense of a Brembo kit.
Mugeismo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang