Brake Upgrade (need confirmation) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-02-2016, 10:28 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Brake Upgrade (need confirmation)

So I have searched and searched. A majority of what I find relates to the 05-10 V6. Looking for some confirmation and to put the question to rest.

- The 2011-2014 V6's come with 12.4" rotors up front.
- The 2011-2014 V8's (non-Brembo) come with 13.2" rotors up front.
- The rears are the same.

Now my understanding of the brake upgrade comes down to this:
1) Buy new Disc Brake Caliper Bracket (Ford's official name)
2) Buy new GT front rotors
3) Ensure wheels are 18" or bigger
4) Enjoy

My issue comes down to this. No one ever seems to list the exact part number for the caliper bracket. I've read through Ford's parts website, and I think I've found the correct part number. Looking for confirmation from someone who has completed this swap and knows the correct part number.

From the diagrams, the correct part number is "2B292". Can I get confirmation please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2016, 03:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
My research found this. CR3Z-2B292-A*CALIPER MOUNT, RIGHT for 2012 Ford Mustang
You need more than just those numbers and left and right are different.
They are pricey at over $80 a piece.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
All of what you said as far as putting 5.0 rotors on a 3.7 is correct, however, that is only part of the part number.

The GT part number for the caliper carrier, number 8 in the diagram in the link, is:
CR3Z-2B292-A and they are not side specific because it lists the same product number for both the left and right.

FRONT BRAKES for 2013 Ford Mustang

The base model v6 product number for the caliper carrier is:
CR3Z-2B292-B

FRONT BRAKES for 2013 Ford Mustang

So you need the whole number to get the right part.

Edit: ^^ He beat me to it, but the site i listed is where i buy a lot of my FRPP parts, and they have them listed at $73.95 each. That being said, its still too much, your best bet is to buy them used off someone who upgraded to Brembos or something.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you both! Glad to see there isn't a difference between sides. I had a feeling there was more to the part number. Ebay kept giving giving me larger numbers. Thank you for clearing this up. More parts to throw at my 60K service.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Sure thing, Steve at Tasca Ford has helped me so much that i feel obligated to give him a shout out. Never Hesitate to give Tasca a call and Steve will get you taken care of.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Sure thing, Steve at Tasca Ford has helped me so much that i feel obligated to give him a shout out. Never Hesitate to give Tasca a call and Steve will get you taken care of.
Good to know. I'm new to the non-Nissan scene. So any reputable vendors are appreciated.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Something I just thought of while ordering the new brakes...

Has anyone been able to find a rebuild kit for the stock calipers? I have searched all the normal vendors, but none seems to exist. Just trying to figure out whether it would be cheaper to buy 4 new calipers and have them powdercoated, or if I can rebuild my current ones then have them powdercoated.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:18 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Mug, don't waffle on this. I upgraded my rotors and sweated 80 clams per side for the front brackets and ended up cheaping out. I sincerely regret it now. Take the plunge brother!
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:39 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugeismo View Post
Something I just thought of while ordering the new brakes...

Has anyone been able to find a rebuild kit for the stock calipers? I have searched all the normal vendors, but none seems to exist. Just trying to figure out whether it would be cheaper to buy 4 new calipers and have them powdercoated, or if I can rebuild my current ones then have them powdercoated.
I wasnt able to find new pistons anywhere, but i have found new piston seals on line for a few bucks each. I actually have a spare set of front calipers in my garage from when i did this exact thing if you're interested in them? PM if you're interested so we can keep clutter out of the thread. I'll make a proper FS post if the mods would like us to follow forum rules.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Is the brake upgrade your referring to something that increases braking performance or is it a result of old brakes? Just curious, also wouldnt it be better to just upgrade to bigger brakes?

Sent from my E5306 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
swhitfield2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:21 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton CIT View Post
Mug, don't waffle on this. I upgraded my rotors and sweated 80 clams per side for the front brackets and ended up cheaping out. I sincerely regret it now. Take the plunge brother!
No worries there. I know I'm replacing the brackets and going with bigger rotors up front. My issue now is can I rebuild my current calipers with new seals and hardware, or should I say screw it and buy all new calipers? The calipers are cheap (compared to what I'm used to).

New caliper cost vs cost of rebuild kit (if they make one) and the labor to install it.

No matter what happens, I'm getting new brackets, bigger rotors, better pads, and having the calipers and brackets powdercoated for looks/protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhitfield2013 View Post
Is the brake upgrade your referring to something that increases braking performance or is it a result of old brakes? Just curious, also wouldnt it be better to just upgrade to bigger brakes?
The brake upgrade we're referring to is converting V6 front brakes to GT front brakes. This will result in bigger front rotors and better performance. It is a budget upgrade (versus Brembo upgrade).

I'm doing it primarily because I'm coming up on 60K, and it's time to replace my rotors and pads. If I'm going to go through all that trouble, may as well do it right.

Quote:
I wasnt able to find new pistons anywhere, but i have found new piston seals on line for a few bucks each. I actually have a spare set of front calipers in my garage from when i did this exact thing if you're interested in them? PM if you're interested so we can keep clutter out of the thread. I'll make a proper FS post if the mods would like us to follow forum rules.
Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know. Currently I'm on the fence about new calipers. If I can rebuild my current ones I will, but if not then I'll just have to get another set. May be the smart way to go so that I can get them powdercoated while still driving.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No worries there. I know I'm replacing the brackets and going with bigger rotors up front. My issue now is can I rebuild my current calipers with new seals and hardware, or should I say screw it and buy all new calipers? The calipers are cheap (compared to what I'm used to).

New caliper cost vs cost of rebuild kit (if they make one) and the labor to install it.

No matter what happens, I'm getting new brackets, bigger rotors, better pads, and having the calipers and brackets powdercoated for looks/protection.

The brake upgrade we're referring to is converting V6 front brakes to GT front brakes. This will result in bigger front rotors and better performance. It is a budget upgrade (versus Brembo upgrade).

I'm doing it primarily because I'm coming up on 60K, and it's time to replace my rotors and pads. If I'm going to go through all that trouble, may as well do it right.

Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know. Currently I'm on the fence about new calipers. If I can rebuild my current ones I will, but if not then I'll just have to get another set. May be the smart way to go so that I can get them powdercoated while still driving.
Powerstop offers a package that includes rebuilt powder coated calipers, rotors and pads. It might be the easiest way to do what you want.

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Stop-KC5...stop+brake+kit
Old 03-17-2016, 01:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
Powerstop offers a package that includes rebuilt powder coated calipers, rotors and pads. It might be the easiest way to do what you want.
Haha...now I feel dumb. I actually used that exact setup on an Integra I built. Although the link you used is for V6 brakes. The ultimate goal here is to upgrade a V6 front setup to a GT (bigger rotors).

Ok...for all of you interested. As far as price comparison goes, this is a great budget upgrade.

Using OEM Ford Parts:
Front Caliper Brackets - $75/Each (2 needed)
Front Calipers - $75/Each (2 needed)
Front Rotors - $45/Each (2 needed)
Front Pads - $55/Set (1 needed)
Powdercoating - $150/Set (estimate)

Total: $595

Using Powerstop/OEM Ford Parts:
Front Calipers w/Brackets - $215/Set (1 needed)
Front Rotors - $45/Each (2 needed)
Front Pads - $55/Set (1 needed)
Powdercoating - included in cost of calipers

Total: $360

Congratulations! You've just replaced your worn out and small front V6 brake setup with a new, upgraded, and painted GT front setup for under $400.

I will be purchasing and installing this setup at the end of the month. Opinions on it then.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I'm pretty sure the kit does not include the brackets. So you will still need those.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:13 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the kit does not include the brackets. So you will still need those.
Every picture I have seen shows them. I'm fairly certain my Integra calipers came with theirs.

The picture above is of the rear calipers, but you can clearly see the second piece is the caliper mounting bracket.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:52 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I can't find any Powerstop GT kits with calipers though. They are all v-6.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:57 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I can't find any Powerstop GT kits with calipers though. They are all v-6.
There aren't any (as far as I can find). You have to order the calipers separately. This is the only way it'll let you differentiate between the V6/GT. That is another reason why I'm certain the calipers come with the necessary brackets. If they didn't, they wouldn't offer any subsets.

I just spoke with Auto Anything (my favorite non AM vendor). Everything is included. Their price is also by far the cheapest. Core charge is included, so if you mail in your stock calipers they will refund you $80, making this an even better value.

Auto Anything
Front Calipers
Part Number: S4928B
SKU: 4200871
Price: $214.39

Rear Calipers
Part Number: S4926
SKU: 3994594
Price: $207.19

Side note, it's a fair assumption that you should buy GT splash shields when you do this upgrade. The splash shield sits behind the rotor and is usually only just barely bigger than the rotor itself. It also has a lip on it that curves above the rotor. In order to prevent rubbing, the GT splash shield ($15/each) should be used.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:54 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

That's a great find. The red calipers and brackets are cheaper than just the plain GT Brackets alone from Ford after the core refund. I will follow your progress and most likely do the same thing with my 2012.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:55 PM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

I don't see it mentioned and don't know if this even applies. But keep in mind, if anyone has the 2011-2014 V6 AUTO with the Performance Package - it has 13.2" front rotors. Which are the same as the Base 11-14 GT. So if you have that setup, then you need to be shopping GT kits for the front.

As for Manuals, they still have the 12.4" setup.
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
I don't see it mentioned and don't know if this even applies. But keep in mind, if anyone has the 2011-2014 V6 AUTO with the Performance Package - it has 13.2" front rotors. Which are the same as the Base 11-14 GT. So if you have that setup, then you need to be shopping GT kits for the front.

Good info. I didn't know that about them. When I do the install thread I'll be sure to add that.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:24 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That would be '13 & '14 's autos since PP's were not available with autos until then. I guess they got the bigger brakes because autos are faster. LOL
Old 03-18-2016, 05:54 AM   #22
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
good stuff guys!
Old 03-18-2016, 12:35 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
So let me see if I have this straight.
To convert V6's with 12.4" front rotors to the GT ,13.2" rotors would require...
Replacing the v6 caliper bracket with a GT caliper bracket.
Or if buying new calipers would require one to buy the GT calipers with bracket.
So I guess that would mean that the location of the two bolts that connect the caliper bracket to the back of the hub/spindle, are in the same relative location on both the GT and the V6?
Click image for larger version

Name:	caliper mtg.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	198382
(Picture is not from a Mustang)
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:41 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
So let me see if I have this straight.
To convert V6's with 12.4" front rotors to the GT ,13.2" rotors would require...
Replacing the v6 caliper bracket with a GT caliper bracket.
Or if buying new calipers would require one to buy the GT calipers with bracket.
So I guess that would mean that the location of the two bolts that connect the caliper bracket to the back of the hub/spindle, are in the same relative location on both the GT and the V6?
Attachment 198382
(Picture is not from a Mustang)
Correct, the GT carrier just spaces the caliper out further for the larger rotor.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Correct, the GT carrier just spaces the caliper out further for the larger rotor.
Thanks!
Figured that but sometimes I don't figure correctly and I like to make sure of the details.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:03 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I gotta ask...So unless your going Brembo can't you just get v6 auto PP front brakes if they are the same as the basic GT? Are the part number the same as a GT? IDK
2014 MCOA, V6 PREMIUM, PERFORMANCE PACKAGE, COMFORT PACKAGE, SECURITY PACKAGE, DEEP IMPACT BLUE WITH SILVER CUSTOM COBRA STYLE STRIPES, AIRAID TUBE, TINTED 35%, PIONEER 8000 NEX, REAR CAMERA, BORLA TOUR AXLE BACK, K&N FILTER. JLT OIL CATCH CAN, CUSTOM MADE HOOD STRUTS, BBK SHORTY CERAMIC

heebe_geebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:35 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by heebe_geebe View Post
I gotta ask...So unless your going Brembo can't you just get v6 auto PP front brakes if they are the same as the basic GT? Are the part number the same as a GT? IDK
I'm not sure I fully understand your question. From reading previous posts, this is my understanding:

V6 base (V6B)
V6 performance package (V6PP)
GT base (GTB)
GT performance package (GTPP)

V6B to GTB: requires new rotors and brake caliper brackets
V6PP = GTB: no new parts required, you're already there!
GTPP = BREMBOS! A whole new upgrade I won't cover since my concern is doing a BUDGET upgrade for the V6.

Volt or others, feel free to correct me.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:37 PM   #28
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
I'm not sure I fully understand your question. From reading previous posts, this is my understanding:

V6 base (V6B)
V6 performance package (V6PP)
GT base (GTB)
GT performance package (GTPP)

V6B to GTB: requires new rotors and brake caliper brackets
V6PP = GTB: no new parts required, you're already there!
GTPP = BREMBOS! A whole new upgrade I won't cover since my concern is doing a BUDGET upgrade for the V6.

Volt or others, feel free to correct me.
Pretty much except, V6PP /w manual trans is the same as V6B pretty much on the brake setup.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:45 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by heebe_geebe View Post
Pretty sure the answers to your questions is yes and yes.
You can look back at the links that Volt provided for the part numbers.
Oh yeah...and as corrected by Zombie.
And if you look at specific model years, don't think the '11's and 12's V6PP would be the larger brakes either.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:50 PM   #30
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Brake Upgrade (need confirmation)

Is an extra .4" of rotor on each side even visually noticeable?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:01 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
If I remember correctly and I'm old so it may have been a senior moment, but when I bought my 2014 v6 Auto with the PP they said one part of the package was my brakes would be larger diameter than the base model v6 and the same a the standard GT's.

Brembo's were larger dia. yet. now maybe it was a sales pitch but they couldn't have talk me out of the PP anyway...
2014 MCOA, V6 PREMIUM, PERFORMANCE PACKAGE, COMFORT PACKAGE, SECURITY PACKAGE, DEEP IMPACT BLUE WITH SILVER CUSTOM COBRA STYLE STRIPES, AIRAID TUBE, TINTED 35%, PIONEER 8000 NEX, REAR CAMERA, BORLA TOUR AXLE BACK, K&N FILTER. JLT OIL CATCH CAN, CUSTOM MADE HOOD STRUTS, BBK SHORTY CERAMIC

heebe_geebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:05 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Only if you close one eye!
Old 03-23-2016, 12:43 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
I can't imagine it is, but if you want a visual and performance upgrade go Brembo. This is for budget upgrade brake power. I emphasize BUDGET.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:14 PM   #34
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

That is the route I am going

Should have my car back tomorrow with the upgraded suspension and brakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	74987_10153983525552403_8873675991738931770_n.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	198654   Click image for larger version

Name:	12009679_10153983526532403_8844372917514075724_n.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	198655  

Old 03-23-2016, 02:03 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That is the route I am going

Should have my car back tomorrow with the upgraded suspension and brakes.
That is sexy. How much was it per caliper?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang